Are footballers overpaid?

Well, it's been said countless times that football has become more than a sport with time passing and has evolved into a business, a financial machine. There is always going to be money flying around everywhere and, as Joel' mentioned a few pages back

If the club doesn't pay the footballer that money, where does it go?

It has to go somewhere. Enter, Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, Drogba, Torres, Kaka ( etc. etc. etc.). So this was eventually going to happen in the way that sponsorships came into play, the huge impact Sky Sports had and the Premier League did in 1992 when it burst onto British television with matches from the weekend glorified before people's sets. I wasn't born at that time, but I can understand how it diversified the way people watched football from then on. It would never-ever go back.

People and other companies are going to be attracted because it's almost a "win-win" situation. They get money, the players get money, the club gets money and football churns out all of this as a result. Perhaps some may be overpaid towards the end of their careers, i.e. earning around £80-90k per week in their mid-to-late 30's, but as mentioned before, individual deals and their reputations get them such a large amount of money.

I've probably repeated what some others have said.

I think actors are overpaid aswell. The current economic system is currupt in thet the sly, rich and lucky get richer and that the poor, helpless, kind and anyone else gets poorer

I think actors are overpaid aswell. The current economic system is currupt in thet the sly, rich and lucky get richer and that the poor, helpless, kind and anyone else gets poorer

You make it sound like kind people can't be rich...

thats not true either. Rich =/= Evil

Yes they are surgeons and firefighters should be paid more than someone who plays football in my opinion.

Again, it's simple supply and demand. There's more people willing and able to be firefighters than there are people who are capable of being top class footballers. Not sure why you're mentioning surgeons, they get pretty decent wages.

If these noble and worthy jobs had inflated pay based on the significance you apply to them then more people would train to do those jobs. More people training to do theses jobs means the employers can then pay lower wages simply because there's a higher amount of competition for the role. It's the same reason why most things are outsourced to other countries.

So, in short, you're jealous of successful people.

It's amusing how you assume all poor people are kind and the rich are sly as well. People get paid on what revenue they can potentially generate. Johnny Depp can create hundreds of millions of dollars for his employer, he thus gets paid a ton in return, would you not be ****** off if you generated hundreds of millions in revenue but were returned next to nothing? Would you bother doing it?

the reason why footballers are paid so much is the same reason why shelf stackers at tesco are paid as much as they are.

So, in short, you're jealous of successful people.

You don't have to be jealous of successful people to think that the current economic models are total wank...

It's a shame that football became only a matter of money.

You don't have to be jealous of successful people to think that the current economic models are total wank...

So what do you suggest? Communism?

I dont know I just think that someone who saves lifes deserves more money than a footballer.

Deserving has nothing to do with it. I could go on a long-winded rant, but the simple fact is this: we can't pay them the same as footballers.

Deserving has nothing to do with it. I could go on a long-winded rant, but the simple fact is this: we can't pay them the same as footballers.

I accept we cant but at the end of the day they should be paid more and there should be a cap on footballers wages. Look at Eto the now he is on more than £300k a week. No one is worth that and its just stupid, governments in countries with clubs paying that much should be allowed to increase tax on the clubs etc to be able to give more fare wages to people who do actually earn them..

I accept we cant but at the end of the day they should be paid more and there should be a cap on footballers wages. Look at Eto the now he is on more than £300k a week. No one is worth that and its just stupid, governments in countries with clubs paying that much should be allowed to increase tax on the clubs etc to be able to give more fare wages to people who do actually earn them..

The market decides the value of the player. If the market decides Samuel Eto'o is worth £300k p/w, he is worth £300k p/w. Simple as.

What's stopping the Governments of those countries increasing taxes on clubs that do that? Nothing. And who's to say that Eto'o isn't earning his wages? He's one of the best strikers of the past decade: seems to me like he's earning his wages. A doctor doesn't earn his wages any more than Rooney does. In fact, one could argue that football is fairer in its wage distribution: good doctors don't get paid any more than bad ones (barring promotions) whereas good footballers get paid more than bad ones.

Godcubed-you're looking a bit blue there :O

So even though there's enough supply of doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen etc. you'd be fine with paying more tax so that they can just get paid more, for no reason, even though they were evidently fine with spending years training to accept a job at the current wage rate? There's 7 girls on my hall studying to become a nurse, because that's actually what they're interested and want to do, not for the money. Would you rather overpay nurses, and attract people who are more interested in a pay cheque than the work? I know what motivation I'd want in the person taking care of me.

Yes footballers are overpaid, but it isnt their fault they get a large amount of money for doing literally nothing. Television and sponsorships play a huge part in todays game, and it is because of this that they get a large wage packet.