Joe Cole - Liverpool?

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 91
  • Views Views 7K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's a bit overrated too. I guess we will see though. I still don't get why he chose Liverpool over Spurs and maybe/probably Arsenal.

I was concerned about how on earth we'd cover his wages. And then I found out our ticket prices are up 15% this season as they were released today too. No worries then.

On Cole himself, he's a window licker and if over his ACL injury could be a good signing. Playing in the centre and apparantly being promised it though? Odd one.

Not a huge fan of Cole personally but he's still a decent player. Would of preferred to of kept Yossi if we had the chance.

Uncertain to where Cole would actually fit as well if we were to adopt a 4-4-2, especially considering he's supposedly got that centre spot. Personally I'd like us to line up something like this...

------------------------------Torres-------------------------

-----Jovanic/Cole------Aquilani----------Kuyt-------

----------------------Lucas----------Gerrard-------------

Babel &/or Riera.Simple :)
I hope Lucas isn't the first team CM, honestly. Just like Aquilani is an awful CM, he's only decent in ACM
Lucas is a good CM and he has got a lot of potential. We should keep him and alternate him with the likes of Gerrard, Aquilani and Mascherano. He is going to be a very good player in a few years and let 's hope he will be with us and not with Palermo.
Intereseting how you say he is an awful CM and a decent ACM. Based on what ? In Gremio he was a box to box midfielder, he did have more freedom than with Benitez, but he wasnt an ACM.
Sorry, but calling Aquilani an awful CM shows how match you know about football and how little you saw him playing with Roma and with us. He is better in a more advanced role, I agree, but being awful ? He was boss against Portsmoush in Anfield for instance and I can remember some great performances from him in that role when he was in Roma.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Good signing, im sure this will put alot of smiles on a few Liverpool fan's faces, about time and all if you ask me.

LB CM and a ST, then we're in with a great shout of a top 4 finish! :)
You can call me a dreamer but IF (and this is a big IF) we dont sell Mascherano (if Aquilani is going to be deep lying playmaker he needs an awsome ball winning midfielder with him, because he tends to go very deep) or if we sell some cancers (Riera and Babel) and we bring Loic Remy and Maynor Figueroa, I think we got real chances to challenge for the title.

Not a huge fan of Cole personally but he's still a decent player. Would of preferred to of kept Yossi if we had the chance.

Uncertain to where Cole would actually fit as well if we were to adopt a 4-4-2, especially considering he's supposedly got that centre spot. Personally I'd like us to line up something like this...

------------------------------Torres-------------------------

-----Jovanic/Cole------Aquilani----------Kuyt-------

----------------------Lucas----------Gerrard-------------

I keep seeing a Christmas tree formation in there for some reason.

Carra - Skrtel - Agger

Lucas

Kuyt/Maxi - Gerrard - Jova/Kuyt

Aqui - Cole

Torres

That would be suicidally attacking though. Gerrard in centre mid really doesn't work any more as his passing can go very wonky very quickly and the whole team suffers badly as a result. Really not sure how Cole improves things overall, in spite of his obvious qualities, because we're losing Mash this summer and it's not offensively minded central midfielders we're particularly short of. I mean Lucas can do a job as a holding player, but it was fairly obvious that he was being played there as part of his development not because that's where he'll eventually stand out.

Riera is agreeing personal terms with Olympiakos. Should be announced formally as a done deal very soon.

Babel and whether he stays or goes will be interesting. Think it will be the same as last January - if you offer £10m, help yourself to him.

Riera is agreeing personal terms with Olympiakos. Should be announced formally as a done deal very soon.

Babel and whether he stays or goes will be interesting. Think it will be the same as last January - if you offer £10m, help yourself to him.
suddenly its not looking all doom and gloom for liverpool, particularly if torres stays

Yeah it's a rare period of positive news for us :P

suddenly its not looking all doom and gloom for liverpool, particularly if torres stays

I'm estimating that as of right now, we've made a profit of £25m in the transfer market (hard cash so not accounting for add-ons) for the financial year 1st August 2009 - 31st July 2010 and cut the wage bill by several million too for next year. Next season the club will have £3m more in ticket revenues too. That's £35 million quid saved. £55m gone from the playing side of things if you think that prior to the yanks coming in we had £20m to spend each summer which was sustainable from club revenues even back then. We're nowhere near the end of the cull of the squad either.

If Torres and Gerrard stay, it's fantastic news. Both have been given a price tag by the club though. So if, say, Real Madrid do decide to spend 70m Euros on Gerrard then he'll be off. Similar story (but priced even higher) is Torres. Would imagine the valuations take into account the revenues both of those players bring into the club as all our merchandising is based around those two. I'd still not put money on Mash staying around, although you do have to wonder if Inter's hands are tied and Barca are obviously not going to pay market value for him - but his contract continues to run down.

edit: good interview with Mr.Hodgson in the Daily Post here: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...fted-says-manager-roy-hodgson-92534-26896261/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back