Jose Mourinho is so overrated

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters
i don't get it, when mourinho tried to play good football they got hammered 5-0, when mourinho plays his way, he earns a draw, (and stops 5 straight barca wins in el classico?) and then wins the copa del ray. so you would rather see real try to compete with barca, and get destroyed, rather then do what they did, and win...

It is absolutely goofy to read some of this stuff.......people can be such purists about beautiful football they forget the point of the game. I think the difference between the 5 - 0 thrashing vs. the previous two matches should illustrate the effectiveness of Mourinho's tactics quite well.

And while I would agree that he's not a tactical genius - its not like he's out there inventing new formations - he is smart and very flexible, and knows how to employ his talent in a way that works very well. Contrast him to Guardiola's Barca, where they are running the same way no matter who they play, which appears to have diminishing returns vs. Mourinho's adaptability.

You want to see tactical innovation, watch Udinese play week in and week out.

Last edited:
Then that's stupid. You'll never convince morons otherwise, so why try? The old adage regarding never arguing with idiots comes into play here.

We did argue for a long time against those pesky Christian's though, remember. ;)

I too enjoyed the Superbowl, just to throw it in there. Could maybe be faster paced, but hey ho. The superbowl is the most watched event on Earth, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean others don't. I personally can enjoy watching defending as much as attacking. I love watching Vidic play, for example. Obviously the 10 men behind a ball stuff is quite boring, where you don't even attempt to score. But a good counter attacking side can be a joy to watch at times. I agree, that Madrid were quite boring against Barca, but they don't play like that in all games, they play like it against Barcelona. Just because they're the "galacticos" doesn't mean they have to go out and try and play Barca off the park. I'm sure the majority of Madrid fans are quite happy with their trophy, and I'm sure they'll be delighted if it's them at Wembley.

And your other arguments:
Firstly, you say he isn't so great because he always achieves with spending and at the "big" clubs. Are you implying that SAF has never spent big money, has he not been in charge of the biggest club in England for most of his career? The only thing you've differentiated with is taking Aberdeen to the SPL trophy, but the league wasn't as dominated by the old firm then, it wasn't even the SPL. But then, Mourinho at Leiria? So again, if you want to use this argument, you'd HAVE to be criticising Fergie as well, but we've already established him as one of the greats, so we can't.

Secondly, he doesn't stick around, so what? He brings success, does he not? If we measured how great a manager is by how long he stays at a club to build, Dario Gradi would be the greatest! And Mourinho has built a team this year, hasn't he? Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira. All vital to the team, all extremely young.

You just seem to have an obsession with attractive football, and are upset with Mourinho for not playing it. But, he does play it, he'll just differ it if he's required to win. He isn't some romanticist that would rather lose in style than win ugly. As I've said many times, you can only point to certain games where he plays defensive (Barcelona), and there's a very good reason for that. So, you're calling him overrated for the way he plays in a minority of his games. A minority, where managers that you say are great, will also play defensive. And you cannot say "SAF isn't in charge of Galacticos" so he's allowed. That is one of the stupidest arguments I've heard. Just because Madrid spend money doesn't mean they demand stylish football 100% of the time, it means they demand success. United spent £30m on Ferdinand, £28m on Veron. Chelsea spent £24m on David Luiz, even Wenger with £10m on Koscielny. Were they bought to dazzle people? No, they were bought to put a trophy in the cabinet. And that's what football clubs spend money for. Who the **** cares about some idealistic way of playing football. Many Madrid fans have disagreed with you, do you think they give a **** they sat in their own half against Barcelona? No, and they've shown that. They've produced some fantastic football this season, now Mourinho does what is tactically required so they have some ****** silverware to show for it. Wenger did it against Barcelona, because it was required. And he was almost rewarded. If they had got through that game and made it all the way and won, then I would have challenged you to find me a single Arsenal fan complaining about that game when the CL is in their cabinet.

We did argue for a long time against those pesky Christian's though, remember. ;)

Nothing will beat the homosexuality thread - a simple quote from that thread: "God made mankind so that there is a key and a hole - and key and key or hole and hole can't work".

Why do you feel it necessary to quote each individual point. It's so annoying and clogs the page up. Then you write an essay which is basically you repeating yourself and as Mike said putting endless "ifs" and "buts".

Would you prefer pointless trolls? I quote each individual point so people know what I'm talking about.

Then that's stupid. You'll never convince morons otherwise, so why try? The old adage regarding never arguing with idiots comes into play here.

But look at the thread. Mourinho receives so much praise from the media and public, so I suggest he's overrated and 99% of the people disagree with me to the point of getting angry. People can call for Wenger's head and call him a **** manager, and no one says anything. But I start a thread where I say that Mourinho doesn't quite deserve the hype and it's like I've come out and insulted a saint or something. I'm just voicing my opinion, sort of what a forum is for. Many people on the thread have said he will be the best of all time. And you even said so youself that he's overrated, so I don't see why I'm stirring up so much controversy.

Yay for assumptions. I watched it and enjoyed it.

OK, I took a wild guess and got it wrong. I'm assuming you watched the Giants beat the Rangers in the World Series last fall? Did you watch the Lakers beat the Celtics? Did you watch the Blackhawks beat the Flyers?

So you'd rather see slower guys cross it to smaller guys winning through less effective tactics and defence...

I already told you that I'd rather watch the Argentine League than any league in Europe (except for maybe La Liga). I know it's not better than the top European leagues, but I don't care. For me, football is entertaining, and I'll watch it when it's entertaining. Sure, ManCity vs. ManU was the big fixture last weekend, but I watched Valencia play Villarreal instead because I thought the former would be boring, tactical, and defensive. The latter ended up being a very unbalanced game, but I'm glad I saw it because Valencia played some entertaining football.

I hate it when people get all evangelical about attack vs defence. A good defence is just as good to watch as a good attack, in my opinion. Frankly, I think you're rather shallow and one-dimensional if you think the only beautiful aspect of on pitch football is attacking.

OK, you have your opinion and I have mine. But there is a reason so many neutrals such as myself are ranting and raving about Barca. It's because the majority of us prefer that style to Catenaccio. But again, if it was Barca vs. Inter, my response would be different. As I've said before, this is Real Madrid we're talking about, and I'm disappointed because I feel like they've sold out on their principles.

Wow. Way to generalise. By no means do all Italians play defensively. Ever heard of a certain Arrigo Sacchi? That's like saying all Brazilians play flair-based, fragile attacking games, and all English ever do is thump it long to a target man.

Wow, way to point out the obvious. Of course I was making a generalization. It was a hyperbole to get my point across. But when I mentioned the Italian NT, I was talking about them for the last couple world cup cycles, and just telling you (one of the reasons) why I root against Italy.

How Real Madrid plays football isn't hard coded, it is decided by the manager. Arsenal play tippy tappy under Wenger: does that mean they've always played that way, and HAVE to? Of course not. That would be preposterous to suggest. Likewise Chelsea play a game based around power and physicality, but that can change. Likewise, Madrid are the most dangerous counterattacking side in the world at the moment, so why temper that to play with a less effective style just because ****** Valdano (who has little to do with anything, remember) wants them to play the latter?

It's a matter of principle. Since Wenger has come to Arsenal, they play the way they play. I admire that because he sticks to his principles. When he didn't stick to his principles, and parked the bus at Barca, I was ****** off and started rooting against them. As far as Madrid goes, again, I don't think we can say that Mourinho's style right now is the most effective, it is effective but I think with a different manager (Pellegrini, Del Bosque, etc.) we'd see a much better on-the-field product with some good results too. Mourinho's team is much better than last season's team, every though last season's team finished better in the league and went out offensively against Barca, only to lose (but not by too much). Mourinho tried to play offensively, because that's what the fans/hierarchy wants, and they get embarassed. Maybe Mourinho can only win one way.

As far as Valdano goes, he has a position of importance within Real Madrid and he's ultimately Mourinho's boss, so it does matter what he wants. More importantly, two years ago, Perez and Valdano were elected on this platform. If you would have told the Madridistas two years ago that Mourinho would be their coach, they would have balked. But after seeing all of Barca's success they got impatient and hired Mourinho. They decided that trophies in the short-term was much more important than entertainment. So I'm not rooting for Real Madrid anymore.

They spent 100s of millions to win. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that is just true. They didn't spend the money to play nicely, they spent it to break Barca's dominance. What you want has nothing to do with it in the end: the Madridistas demand silverware.

I think they demand both. There is a reason a lot of people have criticized Mourinho throughout the year. Even though the side is more talented and has had more time to gel, they performed worse in the league than last season. If they just wanted to win I don't think they would have spent 100's of millions, or they would have, it would have been on different players. They could have put together a very defensive-minded team if they wanted to, a team even better-suited to beat Barca. But instead they go out and by Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo for an obscene amount of money. Cristiano Ronaldo is the biggest superstar on the planet, and Kaka definitely wasn't worth his money. It wasn't necessarily an effective use of money, but they did it to make the Galacticos. That's why they hired Pellegrini. But after one season without trophies, they fire him, and the obvious big name manager is Mourinho, so they sign him.

And I've talked to plenty of Madridistas, and they take a great amount of pride in their style of play. I've spoken to a few that insist La Liga is better than the Prem just because it is more entertaining and with prettier soccer, in their eyes. Even though it's arrogant, I sort of admire it, and I think it's too bad they've gone out and played Mourinho ball.

It is absolutely goofy to read some of this stuff.......people can be such purists about beautiful football they forget the point of the game. I think the difference between the 5 - 0 thrashing vs. the previous two matches should illustrate the effectiveness of Mourinho's tactics quite well.

And while I would agree that he's not a tactical genius - its not like he's out there inventing new formations - he is smart and very flexible, and knows how to employ his talent in a way that works very well. Contrast him to Guardiola's Barca, where they are running the same way no matter who they play, which appears to have diminishing returns vs. Mourinho's adaptability.

You want to see tactical innovation, watch Udinese play week in and week out.

If he's such a tactical genius he could have played offensively and not gotten beat 5-0. I do agree that Guardiola's Barca is a bit inflexible, but I think that's because they have absolutely no bench. Mourinho has so many options to choose from while Pep only has 12 (the only starting position that's disputable is LB, between Abidal and Adriano). Guardiola's hands are tied, he has a great starting XI that plays a certain way and that's it.

As far as Udinese go, I don't watch too much Serie A, but why isn't Francesco Guidolin praised incessantly by the media? He's done some remarkable things there on a tight budget (took Udiense from 15th in Serie A last season to 4th place, could Mourinho do that?). But we'll never hear about it because all people look at is trophies, and he hasn't won any trophies.

Call me a purist if you want but I've already explained that there's a reason I have switched over to being a football fan rather than watching the typical American sports I have available to me. And I really admire people who have principles, even when it costs them success. That's in real life but also in football. I admire Arsene Wenger because he wants to play attractive football AND do it on an extremely tight budget. He's able to do this year in and year out while competing in all competitions, even though it costs him results. That is admirable. Mourinho doesn't have principles, he just wants to win, so that's why I'll root for Arsenal over whatever team Mourinho is coaching.

I too enjoyed the Superbowl, just to throw it in there. Could maybe be faster paced, but hey ho. The superbowl is the most watched event on Earth, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean others don't. I personally can enjoy watching defending as much as attacking. I love watching Vidic play, for example. Obviously the 10 men behind a ball stuff is quite boring, where you don't even attempt to score. But a good counter attacking side can be a joy to watch at times. I agree, that Madrid were quite boring against Barca, but they don't play like that in all games, they play like it against Barcelona. Just because they're the "galacticos" doesn't mean they have to go out and try and play Barca off the park. I'm sure the majority of Madrid fans are quite happy with their trophy, and I'm sure they'll be delighted if it's them at Wembley.

But most people don't enjoy the Super Bowl, and it isn't the most watched event on earth, the World Cup final is. But it was just an example I threw in there. Did you watch the World Series last year? The NBA finals? The NHL finals? I'm guessing you didn't, and that you would have rather watched Premier league games instead. Why? Because football is a lot more entertaining than baseball. That's why even though I'm an American and don't really have a local team, I love soccer and want to watch it. But rather than watch these boring, hyper-controlled hyper-tactical matches, I'd rather watch the Argentine league. Or Barca. Or Arsenal. That's why I usually root for Barca and Arsenal even though I'm not a supporter of either club. Even though Real Madrid is such a hateable club, I usually root for them too, because I like their philosophy. They want offense and entertainment, and they'll go out and drop hundreds of millions on players so they can do that. It's not just about winning, it's about creating something great. That's the platform Perez and Valdano run on.

And your other arguments:
Firstly, you say he isn't so great because he always achieves with spending and at the "big" clubs. Are you implying that SAF has never spent big money, has he not been in charge of the biggest club in England for most of his career? The only thing you've differentiated with is taking Aberdeen to the SPL trophy, but the league wasn't as dominated by the old firm then, it wasn't even the SPL. But then, Mourinho at Leiria? So again, if you want to use this argument, you'd HAVE to be criticising Fergie as well, but we've already established him as one of the greats, so we can't.

I already answered what Mourinho did at Leiria. He took over in APRIL. They were already doing extremely well. The next season, they finished in 7th place. Two seasons later, after he's gone, they finish in 5th place and they make the final of the Portuguese Cup. This was under Vitor Pontes. But SAF did something different. He took a team that had no business winning the SPL and he won with them. He did something no manager has been able to do in the past quarter century. SAF has already proven he can consistently win without talent. Has Mourinho? I don't think so. Also, SAF has spent big, but not like Mourinho, and more importantly, SAF can bring in CONSISTENT success to ManU. The club has been consistently great for over 20 years now. Why? Because SAF knows how to find great young players and develop them into superstars. He can do this consistently. And he can manage a club's finances. In recent years, ManU has been in a lot of debt, so SAF has really cut down on his spending. Yet they're still good, and he still manages to unearth Hernandez for 6 million quid.

Secondly, he doesn't stick around, so what? He brings success, does he not? If we measured how great a manager is by how long he stays at a club to build, Dario Gradi would be the greatest! And Mourinho has built a team this year, hasn't he? Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira. All vital to the team, all extremely young.

Everyone wanted Di Maria, Ozil, and Khedira after the WC. The thing is though that we're in a global recession, and Mourinho can go out and get those players because that's what Real Madrid can do. As far as not sticking around goes, read my criteria for what makes a great manager. Coming to a great club, spending a bunch of money on more great players, and then leaving (without regards to what will happen there in the future) doesn't prove a manager's worth for me. I think consistent success at one place is much more indicative of a manager's worth, which is why I think SAF and Wenger are better.

You just seem to have an obsession with attractive football, and are upset with Mourinho for not playing it. But, he does play it, he'll just differ it if he's required to win. He isn't some romanticist that would rather lose in style than win ugly. As I've said many times, you can only point to certain games where he plays defensive (Barcelona), and there's a very good reason for that. So, you're calling him overrated for the way he plays in a minority of his games. A minority, where managers that you say are great, will also play defensive. And you cannot say "SAF isn't in charge of Galacticos" so he's allowed. That is one of the stupidest arguments I've heard. Just because Madrid spend money doesn't mean they demand stylish football 100% of the time, it means they demand success. United spent £30m on Ferdinand, £28m on Veron. Chelsea spent £24m on David Luiz, even Wenger with £10m on Koscielny. Were they bought to dazzle people? No, they were bought to put a trophy in the cabinet. And that's what football clubs spend money for. Who the **** cares about some idealistic way of playing football. Many Madrid fans have disagreed with you, do you think they give a **** they sat in their own half against Barcelona? No, and they've shown that. They've produced some fantastic football this season, now Mourinho does what is tactically required so they have some ****** silverware to show for it. Wenger did it against Barcelona, because it was required. And he was almost rewarded. If they had got through that game and made it all the way and won, then I would have challenged you to find me a single Arsenal fan complaining about that game when the CL is in their cabinet.

On the subject of Wenger, as I said before, when Wenger went uber-defensive in that game, I was ****** and started rooting against Arsenal in that game.

I may have an "obsession" with attractive football, but as I said before, that's why I watch football and not baseball. Mourinho isn't a romanticist, so I won't root for him. And when he's coaching at Real Madrid, I'll root against him, because I think it's a shame the Galacticos are playing that way. You bring up examples of Chelsea and ManU spending, but they're not the Galacticos. They just wanted trophies. Real Madrid wants more than trophies. That's what Valdano is all about. That's why Perez and Valdano were brought in. They want to create something glorious. They bailed on that idea after one year and just went for trophies, so the hire Mourinho, the ultimate pragmatist. So I'm rooting against them now. As far as RM fans complaining, they have complained, but I think many are in denial at the moment. My friend is a hardcore Madridista Spaniard and when Mourinho was hired he was absolutely ****** off. He said he was going to stop watching them play (I moved and haven't talked to him since, so I don't know if he did or not). The point is, when you talk to Madridistas, they have pride in how they play. They are arrogant about being the most entertaining team, and they think the most entertaining team is the best. That's why many of them admire Barca so much. But I think there's also a lot of jealousy (becase this Barca team is now rivaling the original Galacticos in many ways), and they want trophies immediately. So I've stopped rooting for them.

You say "who cares about the style of play" and there are a lot of people who do. I do, Valdano does, and many Madridistas did before this season. Brazilians certainly do, look at how much **** Dunga got for putting a boring product on the field. As do Argentines. There are two philosophies in football, my Argentine friend's dad explained to me. One is that only the result matters. The other is that you must play with a good style of play no matter what. I really, really admire them for that and I have a similar philosophy when it comes to football, and that's why I watch the sport and stopped watching baseball. I know very few would agree with me here, but so what? Can't I voice my opinion? Isn't it good to have the occasional minority opinion here? I guess not, it seems that if you disagree with the majority opinion, even if you do it reasonably and spend a lot of time in explaining yourself, people get ******.

The point is that you're using extremes. You're using a single fixture out of 40+ in a season to make that as a basis for a team playing defensive football. That's retarded. As I said, 75% possession against Spurs, repeatedly they dominate La Liga teams whenever I see them. But you ignore this every time I bring it up, and just keep on going on about him being defensive. He's defensive against Barcelona, in a cup final, in the biggest rivalry on game. When stakes get that high, there's a point where even the most stubborn of managers will bow down and change tactically to win. I consider it a great strength if a manager is tactically adaptable. People are getting ****** because you're not listening to this, you cannot blanket a stereotype playstyle on the man based on a single fixture, when they play 25+ teams a game. You just can't.

As I've also said many times, you can't excuse it from Fergie because he isn't managing the galacticos. He's spent a **** of a lot of money in his time, but he delivers brilliant football 95% time. And then for the final 5% of the time he'll change his tactics to ensure victory. That's one of the reasons he's the greatest, there are very, very few times he'll be outdone tactically. Mourinho is doing the exact same thing. And what if he wasn't at Madrid, you say Fergie is exempt for not managing Galacticos. You do realise only a fraction of Mourinho's career has been in charge of Galacticos? If you want to criticise Mourinho, fine. You have a basis for it. What isn't fine is creating silly exemptions to stop you being a hypocrite. You are being hypocritical. In the utmost extreme. Fergie has brought consistent success by not being a snob and being tactically astute, but you say this is a great thing about Fergie?

And Mourinho moves around, but even Fergie would envy his cabinet. Could I not argue that Fergie is not as good as Mourinho because he doesn't have to constantly adapt himself to a new club, in the same way you say Mourinho isn't great for not staying in one place?

Nobody's saying you can't have an opinion. It's admirable that you're so hardcore in your belief of beautiful football. But what's ******* people off is the damning inconsistency in your arguments.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Here's a great Valdano quote about that though:

“Neither Mourinho nor Benitez made it as a player. That has made them channel all their vanity into coaching. Those who did not have the talent to make it as players do not believe in the talent of players, they do not believe in the ability to improvise in order to win football matches.

“In short, Benitez and Mourinho are exactly the kind of coaches that Benitez and Mourinho would have needed to have made it as players.”

He has another good quote about Mourinho's hyper-control over the players and tactics but I can't find it.

Ever heard of one of the best manager of all time "Arrigo Sacchi"? He didn't make it as a player. Good player doesn't mean he understands game better.

Barca have not met the criteria that i have set. It is time to make one thread "Barca are overrated team of the century"

The point is that you're using extremes. You're using a single fixture out of 40+ in a season to make that as a basis for a team playing defensive football. That's retarded. As I said, 75% possession against Spurs, repeatedly they dominate La Liga teams whenever I see them. But you ignore this every time I bring it up, and just keep on going on about him being defensive. He's defensive against Barcelona, in a cup final, in the biggest rivalry on game. When stakes get that high, there's a point where even the most stubborn of managers will bow down and change tactically to win. I consider it a great strength if a manager is tactically adaptable. People are getting ****** because you're not listening to this, you cannot blanket a stereotype playstyle on the man based on a single fixture, when they play 25+ teams a game. You just can't.

But Real Madrid is much better than every other team they play, if they didn't play offensively it would inexcusable. And it's not like he's making a minor change, he's completely changing their philosophy in the biggest games against their biggest rival. It's their most important fixture of the season. That game is their defining moment, it shows that characteristics of that team more than any other game. I'm not calling him out for being relatively cautious, it's that he's taking it to such an extreme. They absolutely parked the bus, and this is the first time I've seen Real Madrid do that to this extent. So yeah, it ****** me off. I'm not calling for him to go out guns blazing, I'd just like to see a good, entertaining game of football. That's what el superclasico is all about. Instead, we got a 0-0 gridlock, of Barca pressing and pressing and pressing and Real Madrid occasionally hitting them on the counter. They finally score in extra time. It wasn't a satisfying game. I wanted to see a 3-3 partidazo with both teams trying to stick it to each other. Instead it turns into this let's see if we can defend against Barca. I know teams can do that. We saw it with Inter last season. I want to see a team go out and play against Barca. I know it can be done, at least Pellegrini tried it with a much lesser team. In fact, Real Madrid played much more defensive than any other big team in Spain. Sure Valencia, Atletico Madrid, and Villarreal were fairly conservative when they played Barca, but not nearly as much as RM the last two games. And those games were much more entertaining than the last two. Neither of those three have the talent of Real Madrid, but they went out and at least tried to play football against Barca. It wasn't the Catenaccio we saw last game. And the Villarreal and Valencia games were close.

As I've also said many times, you can't excuse it from Fergie because he isn't managing the galacticos. He's spent a **** of a lot of money in his time, but he delivers brilliant football 95% time. And then for the final 5% of the time he'll change his tactics to ensure victory. That's one of the reasons he's the greatest, there are very, very few times he'll be outdone tactically. Mourinho is doing the exact same thing. And what if he wasn't at Madrid, you say Fergie is exempt for not managing Galacticos. You do realise only a fraction of Mourinho's career has been in charge of Galacticos? If you want to criticise Mourinho, fine. You have a basis for it. What isn't fine is creating silly exemptions to stop you being a hypocrite. You are being hypocritical. In the utmost extreme. Fergie has brought consistent success by not being a snob and being tactically astute, but you say this is a great thing about Fergie?

How am I being hypocritical? I've criticized Mourinho for his style of play while he was at Real Madrid, which corresponds to this season. SAF doesn't manage the Galacticos and doesn't have the same obligation to play like Real Madrid usually plays, so I'm not criticizing him for it. It's true that I did say that playing entertaining football is part of my criteria for what makes a good manager. I don't think ManU is particularly entertaining or not, but SAF is great because he has proved himself according to my other 4 criteria. If SAF were at Real Madrid and got them playing boring football, yeah, I'd be ****** at him for it and would root against Real Madrid. I don't see at all how I'm being a hypocrite.

And Mourinho moves around, but even Fergie would envy his cabinet. Could I not argue that Fergie is not as good as Mourinho because he doesn't have to constantly adapt himself to a new club, in the same way you say Mourinho isn't great for not staying in one place?

You could argue that, and it would be a very good argument. But no one has really engaged in any arguments recently, it's been more just finding various parts of my post to attack and to insist that how Real Madrid plays doesn't matter (something some people disagree with) and therefore that I have no basis to be annoyed with Mourinho when he parks the bus with RM. I would agree that Mourinho has proven that he has adaptable in that he can go to several different teams and win. Is he tactically adaptable? Can he win with good fluid attacking football as well? I know he's great with hyper-tactical, controlled, defensive schemes, he's probably the best in the world at that. I'm not sure if he could win the Champions League by playing offensively. What I do know is that SAF is very tactically adaptable. We've seen him beat great teams with offensive power and with good defense. His ManU teams have had many different looks over the years.

It also depends on how much you value adaptability. If you think it's a very important criterion for determining how good a manager is, than yeah, Mourinho has proven himself in this way while Ferguson hasn't. I personally value other things more, and I listed my criteria for how I value the worth of a manager. If you want to say exactly what it is that you value in a manager, what your criteria is for rating a manager, go ahead and do so and we can have an informed discussion. But everyone else in the thread has pretty much resorted to OMG you're ******* retarded! look at how many trophies he has! who cares if he plays boring with this set of galacticos! I think according to my criteria, SAF, Wenger, and Hiddink are the three best managers in the world. If Mourinho isn't even in the top 3 than he certainly is overrated because he probably receives more praise than any manager in the world. And the premise of my OP would be proven.

Nobody's saying you can't have an opinion. It's admirable that you're so hardcore in your belief of beautiful football. But what's ******* people off is the damning inconsistency in your arguments.

I really don't see how I'm being inconsistent. I specifically laid out how I measure the worth of a manager (no one else has even tried) and according to those criteria, Mourinho isn't in the top three. So I think he's overrated. My comments on him as RM's manager are different. My criticisms with him as Real Madrid's manager are a few. First, that his RM team is much better than Pellegrini's was and he's done worse in the league. Second, his sales of Guti and Raul were horrible decisions that cost him the league, and they could have been useful in the upcoming Champions League fixtures (depending on how they go). Third, I'm not sure of his tactical flexibility because I think he's proven he can only win in one way. Fourth, I don't think he has his team play like a Real Madrid galacticos should play. I know people important to Real Madrid, such as Valdano (and probably some other Real Madrid greats who are holding their tongue) agree with me.

So I really don't see how I've been inconsistent at all, if you want to show me how I have been than go ahead and do so. Thanks for intelligently responded though and trying to engage in dialogue, unlike a few of the people here.

I guess what we have learned is Mourinho is possibly the most popular man in football and he's untouchable. People troll about how overrated Wenger is and how much he should be sacked, and no one seems to care (other than the occasional Arsenal fan). But if you claim that Mourinho doesn't deserve all of the hype he is getting, and do so in a reasonable manner, everyone will disagree with you.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Barca have not met the criteria that i have set. It is time to make one thread "Barca are overrated team of the century"

Sure, go for it. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who agree with you, especially ManU and Chelsea supporters. Barca and the Spanish national team, like Jose, probably get too much hype. But it's for a good reason. People like watching them play. They're a breath of fresh air. Not only are they very successful, they play a great brand of football. Jose gets too much hype probably because he's arrogant and people think that's cool.

On the other hand though you can't really deny that they are an historic team. Teams that set records are historic by default. I'm not trying to claim Barca is the best team ever (they might be, I have no idea which team is), but I have seen you claim several times that Barca's record doesn't mean anything and that they're somehow not an historic team because La Liga has about as much quality as a sunday league. I don't think that's a serious argument.

I rekkon he's the best manager in the world. He somehow does the impossible. Love it when he's got big games in the later rounds of the champions league. Bring on the el clasico - champions league style.

Only read the first page as tbh I cant be arsed reading 6 full pages of really long posts that basically all say the same thing.

Mourinho does what is asked of him. He takes over club and wins titles. That is what needs to b done at big clubs now, you dont get time anymore to built young teams gradually, excluding Wenger who does get this time but still receives lots of critisim. Ferguson more than likely would not have survived in this climate with united as he didnt get enough success fast enough.

Saying he wouldnt be able to manage small clubs or how would he fair at Blackpool? Is stupid, he planned ahead and fast tracked his route into football management to avoid playing in the lower leagues and with weaker clubs and to play to his strengths. Do you expect him to take a wage drop and move to someone like Wigan to try and prove himself even though he has already shown that he can beat the best.

His success isnt all based on money, when he won the CL with Porto he may of had more money than the Portuguese teams, but compared to the money the other CL teams he was coming up against he had smiler if not less money than them.

Wow... i red the 1st line and i couldn't read more because you just wish your team (wich i dont know and don't care) had him. Anyway kid, why losing time making something like this when he just proofs everyone that he is the best... ? Get a life kid.

Wow... i red the 1st line and i couldn't read more because you just wish your team (wich i dont know and don't care) had him. Anyway kid, why losing time making something like this when he just proofs everyone that he is the best... ? Get a life kid.
At least read what h wrote before childishly responding, many of his points have leverage but I just feel as in all he is wrong.

Telling someone to get a life because he has a different opinion is... well, 'not too bright' a comment, imo.

I've sat here behind my screen for a while now, admiring your belief and willingness to argue your point, but your points are just so inconsistent it is ridiculous. In 2 minutes just now, I've just picked apart one point of your arguement. Incredibly hypocritical.

It's true that I did say that playing entertaining football is part of my criteria for what makes a good manager.

So Tony Pulis isn't a good manager because he plays to get results? Pretty football isn't the be all and end all about football. It's a results based business and the best managers get results, which is what Mourinho does.

I don't think ManU is particularly entertaining or not, but SAF is great because he has proved himself according to my other 4 criteria.

But you said unless the manager meets all of your criteria then he isn't a good manager. Which is also basically what you are implying in the comment above as well.

I don't see at all how I'm being a hypocrite.

You must be blind then.

Last edited:
I've sat here behind my screen for a while now, admiring your belief and willingness to argue your point, but your points are just so inconsistent it is ridiculous. In 2 minutes just now, I've just picked apart one point of your arguement. Incredibly hypocritical.

So Tony Pulis isn't a good manager because he plays to get results? Pretty football isn't the be all and end all about football. It's a results based business and the best managers get results, which is what Mourinho does.

I do admit that the 5th one is tricky and more subjective, but it's not like you have to have all 5 to be a great manager. Pulis is good because he fits the other criteria very well. Also, it must take into account the club you're at (I probably should have specified this). If you're at Stoke than it's not bad if you don't play attractive football. If you're the manager of an all-star team of galacticos with great attacking players, and you manage to play unattractive football, in my eyes that takes you down a few notches. I do realize though that a lot of people only think the result matters, so if you want to throw that one out, than fine. But I think my other four criteria are good, so I don't think you can just disregard everything else I've said.

But you said unless the manager meets all of your criteria then he isn't a good manager. Which is also basically what you are implying in the comment above as well.

No, the more you fit the five criteria, the better you are. It's not like you have fit all 5 to be great. Mourinho doesn't, and he's certainly a great manager. But if you rate him according to the five criteria and then rate SAF, Hiddink, or Wenger, than I don't think he's as good as those three. Since he's considered the best in the world, I think he's overrated.

You must be blind then.

You can criticize me for being illogical and wrong, but I think calling me hypocritical is pretty unfair. A hypocrite is someone who says one thing and does another. If I went on and on about financial prudence and spent my football club into debt, than I would be a hypocrite. But if I'm just some guy on the internet with inconsistent argumentation, than I'm just wrong.

Also, you've picked out one point, and even if you are right on that point I don't think that makes everything else I've said "ridiculous." What I will say is I'm at least trying to offer something constructive. We can't discuss what makes a great manager until we offer the criteria for judging the greatness of a manager. I'm the only one that has attempted. Everyone else simply attacks what I'm saying and then says "well Mourinho has a bunch of trophies, he can't be overrated." Mourinho inherits great teams, spends a bunch of money on them, and then leaves when he gets a trophy. According to my criteria of what makes a great manager, he isn't as good as some other managers (maybe he is, but he just hasn't proven it yet). So I said he's overrated.

If trophies is the only thing that makes you a good manager, than Mancini is a million times better than David Moyes. And I just don't agree with that.

Last edited:
No, the more you fit the five criteria, the better you are. It's not like you have fit all 5 to be great. Mourinho doesn't, and he's certainly a great manager. But if you rate him according to the five criteria and then rate SAF, Hiddink, or Wenger, than I don't think he's as good as those three. Since he's considered the best in the world, I think he's overrated.
No one who has actually intelligently argued with you has said that he's the best in the world, I don't think.
You can criticize me for being illogical and wrong, but I think calling me hypocritical is pretty unfair. A hypocrite is someone who says one thing and does another. If I went on and on about financial prudence and spent my football club into debt, than I would be a hypocrite. But if I'm just some guy on the internet with inconsistent argumentation, than I'm just wrong.
You say that Mourinho is a bad manager because he played defensively against Barcelona, and then call Ferguson the best manager - who played defensively against Barcelona. That's hypocritical. Just because "Mourinho is in charge of the galacticos" is irrelevant. He's been in charge for 9 months, not his whole career. And there is not set way a team plays, they hired him, and he'll play however he **** well likes. Lets say Ferguson retired, and we hired Biesla. Is Biesla a poor manager because he doesn't play the same way as Ferguson did? No, because it's now Biesla's team.

So, are you saying that Mourinho is overrated because of how he plays with Madrid? That's retarded. Has he suddenly become a bad manager between managing Inter and Madrid? Of course not. If we ignore Madrid though and focus on the past, then you're saying he's just poor for playing defensively. But Ferguson also plays defensively, and he's apparently the greatest. That is why you're being horrifically hypocritical, don't like any manager playing defensive ever? Fine. But you can't praise other managers that do the exact same.

What you're doing is conveying your anger towards the man for ruining a team you conceive should be playing the beautiful game. That isn't bad management, that's your dislike. BIG difference. You said it yourself, you were angry at Wenger for playing defensively against Barcelona. Wenger hasn't become bad for that game, has he? No. Nor has Mourinho.

I went back added this little bit to my first criterion. I've made the argument before in the thread, but thought it should go under my criteria as well:

Another good measuring stick for relative success is how well other managers do with the same squad, depending on the circumstances, of course. So if a different manager steps in and achieves similar results, than maybe the initial manager isn't as good as we thought, especially if this new manager isn't a good one. For example, if Avram Grant can step in during a crisis, have the best record in the league during his tenure and take this team to the CL final (where they would have won if it weren't for bad luck), maybe it's not such an incredible achievement to manage Chelsea to good results. Of course, if another manager takes over under difficult circumstances, perhaps a year after a treble victory (hangover) and with a squad that isn't deep but has a lot of injury problems (probably having to do with old age as well), than it doesn't necessarily mean that this man is a bad manager or that the previous manager was a great one. That's why I don't think Rafa Benitez, for example, is a bad manager. Leonardo is a terrible manager and he has gotten this Inter team to do well, he just stepped in after the brunt of the injury crisis.

I actually have to agree with the majority of what you are saying Curtis. Mourinho is a top class manager, but I think he is overrated to an extent. He isn't the best manager in the world, but he is probably the best at handling the media and taking the pressure off his players. He is very good tactically, and a very good 'cup' manager in as much as he knows how to win big games.

For me, the greatest managers ever have always taken risks and stuck to their principles. The likes of Chapman and Michels were tactical innovators, while Clough had his teams play a more attractive brand of football to the rest of the league. Managers are not only remembered for what they have won, but for how they have won them.

I've no doubt that Mourinho will go on to win many more trophies and be remembered as one of the best ever football managers. He has a long and fruitful future ahead, but for me there are a number of better managers currently out there. The men that leave a legacy, the SAF's and Wengers, are the true greats