Jose Mourinho is so overrated

• Thread starter Thread starter curtis290
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 261
  • Views Views 23K

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters
Read my last post, I thought it broke down my posts pretty well.

Fergie had some ups and downs because he stuck with one club. It's very difficult to maintain success at the same club because you have to constantly bring up good young players and balance your finances. That's why Fergie is so great, ManU has only had a couple of rough seasons during his entire career.

Wenger has made 16 straight Champions League appearances, while for many of those years he was making a large profit on transfers, and he always has Arsenal competing in all competitions. That is consistent success.

I bet Valdano would rather have a manager try and play offensively and see where it takes them, but Perez wanted trophies immediately so they went with Mourinho. Which is why I'm rooting against them now. But as I said in the post, my criticism of Jose playing too defensively doesn't really have to do with why I think he's an overrated manager (other than maybe the fact that I don't think he can win playing offensively).
I see where you're coming from, but Mourinho has consistently won things, without spending tons, at Inter he had a net spend of under £30m (I think). Raul and Guti were on high wages and I don't think they would of settled of being a bench warmer all season instead of playing for Schalke 04 and Besiktas in their first team. Some of your points are hypocritical, as you say don't judge him on just one success (Porto) but you have judged Grant on his Champions League 'success'. Also, you need to acknowledge a win is a win, a loss is a loss, not matter how close you come or how you get it. A Mourinho 1-0 win is better than a Wenger 4-4 draw.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

If you don't think that is relevant because it's history, then look at the present. How many teams can win the Prem? Let's be honest here, it's pretty much the same.
History is not relevant, I hate it when people do on and on about stuff like 'United have won 2 of their last 4 visits to Spain, etc.' as the teams have changed and a lot is different. In Spain, only Madrid and Barca have a realistic chance of winning it. In England? In recent years, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have had a shot at winning the League, although I do agree, European leagues are not as competitive as we think. However, the difference between 1st and 3rd in La Liga is a lot bigger than in the Prem. Would Barca regularly have to scrape wins against lowly sides (like United and Arsenal have to do)?

But the Spanish League is not like a rich SPL, that comment is pretty irrational. Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia and Villareal regularly draw or have a close game with Barca and Madrid, but do teams like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibernian? Not really.

History is not relevant, I hate it when people do on and on about stuff like 'United have won 2 of their last 4 visits to Spain, etc.' as the teams have changed and a lot is different. In Spain, only Madrid and Barca have a realistic chance of winning it. In England? In recent years, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have had a shot at winning the League, although I do agree, European leagues are not as competitive as we think. However, the difference between 1st and 3rd in La Liga is a lot bigger than in the Prem. Would Barca regularly have to scrape wins against lowly sides (like United and Arsenal have to do)?

But the Spanish League is not like a rich SPL, that comment is pretty irrational. Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia and Villareal regularly draw or have a close game with Barca and Madrid, but do teams like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibernian? Not really.

How is history not relevant to my point? I was trying to prove conclusively that La Liga has been more competitive than people think, and I think I have. Only Madrid and Barça have a realistic chance of winning it today, but not so long ago Valencia won it, and at a point it was Villareal who took second place ahead of Barça, if only for a season. You can't judge the quality of a league in a single season, or 2, or 3. As you said, teams change and as they change the overall quality of the league does as well. And, if we take a ~20 year timespan we'll find out pretty much what I had posted.

Anyone see the gloriously attacking, carefree 6-3 win over Valencia today?

Oh wait, I forget, it couldn't possibly be Mourinho. He won't let them play expansive football after all...

Last edited:
I was watching few past videos of El Classicos. Classicos now are not even half intense as they used to be. Even few years back, like 5 years they were very intense. Back in 90s Barca won 5-0 against Madrid then next season Madrid got their revenge by beating Barca 5-0.

So much hatred between teams it was unreal. Would love to see game becoming like 90s, it was very physical and had quality players. This Madrid team has no passion when compared to teams of past and Zidane single handedly took Barca's midfield it was joy to watch. Wish we had those Madrid players against current Barca team.

No, there are many others who think they are overrated apart from Chelsea and ManUtd fans.

Yet it's always the ManU and Chelsea fans that keep bringing this up. I don't really see how overrated they are, they're an historic team and people hype them up a bit because they're fun to watch but I don't really hear any out of control praise for them. Not nearly as out of control as the Mourinho lovefest gets. Look at how outraged people got that I dare suggest he wasn't as good as the media claims he is.

Its funny how everytime you make baseless assumptions. Most Neutrals like them watching? Please go and have a check in Milan, Inter forums and what they think of Barca's football. Many think it is boring. So you are just assuming that everyone likes Barca as you do which is clearly wrong.

Than why do peopel constantly talk about how attractive their football is? I do agree with you that it is fairly subjective to a certain degree. I'm not trying to claim that Barca's football is absolutely objectively attractive, because that's impossible to prove. But you're delusional and jealous if you think that most neutrals don't think they are a great team to watch. There's a reason everyone is ranting and raving about them. I'm not going to get in a discussion over how over/under rated Barca is, that would be for a different thread, but if they are overrated, it's simply media hype as a result of the fact that most people love watching them play.

Still you responded. And you think there are serious people who agrees with you when you say Jose is overrated? And how you got your knickers in twist when few on internet said he is the best ever..

Several people have agreed with me in this thread. Others claim he is the best manager in the game, which I don't believe. I think SAF is better (if you agree, than you too think Mourinho is overrated) I don't think Mourinho is in the top 3. I stated clearly my criteria for how I rate a manager, and according to that criteria, Mourinho is not in the top 3. Yet no one has really tried and offered their own, they just say I'm wrong. Who you think is the best is subjective to a certain degree, because it's based on how you define best. I gave my definition of how we measure the best, and according to my definition, he isn't. Don't see what's so wrong with that.

That was not the best ManUtd team ever. 07-08 was close, and our 1999 was class full of World class players. Second best team in the world where other than 2 teams no team had a sniff at title.

Yet you're ignoring the point. First of all, the '99 team was great, but the 07-09 team was close. Some people think they were better, some people think they were worse. I personally think the 07-09 team was much better. The Prem has gotten much better in the past 10 years. The 07-09 team went to consecutive Champions League finals. Even if you think the 99 team was better, you're ignoring the fact that the 07-09 team was great. Barca won the treble and beat an historically great team very soundly in the final. What else do you expect them to do? How else could they establish historic status? Two seasons later, the team is even better than that one and sets a record point total. That makes them historic.

Contradiction. I remember you saying Historic match up means nothing as only present counts. Madrid won 5 trophies when no team bothered to enter the competition. Milan are the best in Europe when it comes to Champions league.

Such a poor argument it's not even funny. I don't see how you can completely miss the point of that statement and try and twist it around. La Liga has had some all-time great teams, yet none of them have reached as many points as Barca. So if Barca has reached a higher point total than those teams, that makes them an historic team. That was a very simple point that you should have been able to understand, and it was very obvious from my statement, and I have no idea how you could actually bring in the "historic match-up" thing, which has nothing to do at all with that argument. It doesn't even come close to fitting because historic matchups are a statistic measuring the all-time record one-team has against another, which, depending on the circumstances, is usually a stupid stat (they do it all the time in American sports, like they'll always show it before/during the Super Bowl, and it's stupid, it doesn't matter what the Packers and Steelers did against each other in the 1960's).

Shows how **** 18 other teams in the league and how they play to Barca's strengths without any tactics and variations.

So they're trying to lose? Barca and Real Madrid are two of the most talented teams in history, and they beat the other teams in the league. Don't see what your point is. Even if you want to look at UEFA coefficients, the Prem passed La Liga in 2008. Do you seriously think the entire league fell apart in two seasons? No one takes your SPL trolls seriously, it's just annoying. The past two seasons, the second-tier La Liga teams have struggled a bit, but that doesn't mean that all 18 teams all of the sudden suck. In 2008-2009, La Liga had 6 Champions League caliber teams. The team that finished in 6th place that season equalled ManU in the Champions League and there was nothing separating the sides. If the 6th placed La Liga team was as good as the 1st placed English team, I don't see how you can seriously claim there are only two teams in Spain. Look at how talented Atletico and Sevilla are. Look at Deportivo. Those teams are having horrible seasons, because every week in La Liga is tough. Anyone that thinks there is that big of a difference between any of the top 4 leagues is biased and delusional. So if you get a record point total in one of the top leagues, it makes you an historic team. Simple as that.

Trolling? I'm not. La Liga is just Sunny SPL is how many think (At least Mancs, yes little biased). Or in other words Rich man's SPL.

Just because lots of (English/American/Prem fan) idiots say that on the internet doesn't make it true. Just as people on the internet claiming Jose is the best in the world doesn't make it true. The comparison is so poor it's not even funny. The SPL is not a top 15 league in the world and any team that does well now isn't necessarily good because its best days are far behind it (back in the day, you stayed in your own league since foreign money didn't dominate the game, so you had Celtic and Rangers winning European trophies). La Liga is the second best league in the world (some think it's the best), and although it was the best in the early 00's, it's not like it's gotten worse since then. The top leagues have more and more money and buy more and more foreign players, so the quality of play in La Liga is as high as ever (though in 08-09 they had more good teams). If you finish with a record point total in one of the top 2 leagues in the world, in one of the top 4 for that matter, that makes you an historic team. Also, no one has won outside of the Old Firm since the 1980's (the last manager to do that was SAF, and that achievement alone to me proves that he is better than Mourinho), while since the Prem's inception, La Liga has had more winners than the Prem. SPL comparison is soooo stupid. But we're way off-topic here, as you've turned yet another thread into La Liga=SPL trolls.

I haven't seen anyone calling Chelsea as historic team when they had record point tally in Jose's era..

But they were. They were an insanely talented team and they finished with 95 points. That de facto makes them an historic team. Where they as good as their record? I think not, they were great at grinding out results against all of those teams that were much less wealthy and talented than them (that's what Mourinho's the best at). But they were still an historic team.

Even before the start of La Liga only 2 teams have chance of winning La Liga.

At the beginning of this season, it was very obvious ManU would win the title. Some people thought Chelsea may have been able to do it (I didn't, I didn't think they'd finish in the top 2), especially when they started out so strong. But by November, only one team was in the title race. How does that support your argument?

Team that just can't win European away game wins left right center in the league. That says a lot..

And so they're not in the semi-finals? They won the Champions League one season. The next, they have to drive across Europe for the first leg and lose to an insanely talented team that stacks up very well against them. This season they're in the semi-finals and have a good chance at winning. They won a treble recently and beat an historically great team in the CL final by a mile. Two seasons later they're looking even better and set a record-point total in a huge league. Again an annoying troll. Barca has already proven they're historic even if they don't make the final.

You have no idea then. We were talking about few matches from 90s for which he said those are not relevant. And what Athe posted was from 90s.

Funny how you accuse me of twisting words when you're even worse...the historical stuff I mentioned had absolutely nothing to do with that discussion. You're literally quoting me from a completely different tract and trying to apply it here, and I don't even know if it was in this thread or nor. Mike mentioned ManU's historical record against Barcelona (which was a moot point, I wasn't trying to compare the two or anything), and I simply said that historical records between two teams don't mean much since they generally record the statistics between two entirely sets of teams. This goes for any sport, it's not even about football. Anyway, that obviously doesn't mean "all historical stats are irrelevant." As far as the stats comparing the two leagues go, it is relevant for people making the idiotic SPL claims, because La Liga has had more winners in the past two decades since the Premiership. The Premiership is also a two-horse race (though this season it was a one-horse race), the only difference is the past two season, the top two in La Liga are much better than the top two anywhere.

Madrid have scored 6 against Valenica at Mestalla. So much for criticizing Jose for his tactics and philosophy.

He knows when to play attacking and when to play on counter..

That's cool that he plays attacking against other teams, good for him, and it's expected since he has one of the most talented teams of all time. If he played conservative against teams that are worse than him that it would be quite an issue. My criticism though is that he plays too conservative against their hated arch-rivals. Real Madrid fans nor the general public want to see him completely park the bus against Barcelona in one of the most defensive Real Madrid games of all time.

Valencia 1-6 Madrid.

What boring, unattractive & defensive football he plays :S

Oh, this is a Madrid without Ronaldo, Pepe, Alonso, Marcelo & Ozil.

True, it was an amazing performance. But I was talking about Barca. He parked the bus against their hated rivals. He basically made the statement that Barca is the better team and that Real Madrid will simply rely on good tactics, defending, and counter-attacking to beat them. That's not how Real Madrid plays and the last two games between Barca and Real have been incredibly boring and disappointing (intense, that's for sure, but the on-the-field product is dull). But my criticisms of him playing conservative against Barca are totally separate from my criticisms of him being overrated. It doesn't mean you can throw out all of my arguments just because you don't like one of them.

I see where you're coming from, but Mourinho has consistently won things, without spending tons, at Inter he had a net spend of under £30m (I think). Raul and Guti were on high wages and I don't think they would of settled of being a bench warmer all season instead of playing for Schalke 04 and Besiktas in their first team. Some of your points are hypocritical, as you say don't judge him on just one success (Porto) but you have judged Grant on his Champions League 'success'. Also, you need to acknowledge a win is a win, a loss is a loss, not matter how close you come or how you get it. A Mourinho 1-0 win is better than a Wenger 4-4 draw.[

Thanks for replying, though I will disagree. It is true that at Inter he didn't have that much to spend. He bought Quaresma for about 20 million his first season, who was a flop. His second season, he got extremely lucky that Barca had to get rid of Eto'o and needed to get Ibrahimovic. Moratti was able to charge them through the nose since they had to make a deal. It was great for Inter, since they basically got an upgrade and a ton of money. That was used in one of the juciest transfer markets in recent history. Real stupidly got rid of three amazing Dutch players, so Inter was able to get Sneijder. Maxwell came in too, a good player, and of course they were able to get Lucio, proven as one of the top CB's in the world. My only point is that in his second season, Inter was an amazing team. They were very disappointing domestically, but they were perfectly built for Champions League success and did it (getting some help along the way from an Icelandic volcano). Other than that he has spent tons of money and he has always managed at a top class team. In my opinion, he has only won one trophy in his life where his team wasn't the most talented in the competition.

As far as Grant goes, I wasn't juding Grant's ability. I just pointed out that a poor manager was able to things at Chelsea that Mourinho couldn't. Grant finished with more points than any team in the league during his tenure AND was a kick away from winning the Champions League, which was much closer than Jose got with Chelsea. My point is that that Chelsea team was so talented that it didn't take a genius to manage it. Guardiola probably isn't a genius, it's just that his team is so talented. That's why he's the most successful young manager in history, not because he's a great manager. Yet why do we never say this about Jose?

As far as attractive football goes, it's a matter of opinion. Many people in many parts of the world think that it's not just the result that matters. That's how it is in Argentina, Brazil, (maybe Holland too, although I don't know for sure), and many places in Spain, especially Real Madrid. Real Madrid isn't just about winning. It's winning the Real Madrid way. That's why they sacked Capello when he won the league. That may have been a poor decision from a football standpoint, but it's a decision, but I respect them for that. Even though Real Madrid is probably the most hateable team in the world (tons of money used to buy victories, an incredible amount of arrogance, etc.) I like them. I like the fact that they care about more than simply getting the result. I think it's good that there are teams in football that hold that value, and I think it's great that a big team holds that value. The can use their vast amount of resources to make an amazing on-the-field product. That's what the first Galacticos were all about. But in getting Mourinho they've sold out on their principles, they just want a few trophies immediately and that's that. So when they go against their hated arch-rivals in what could be one of the most scintillating fixtures of all time, they simply park the bus and play as defensive as you've ever seen Real Madrid play. As a football fan, I was pretty disappointed.

Also, on the subject of Guti and Raul, I disagree. Raul certainly would have played a lot this season since Higuain was out and Benzema was underperforming. They both definitely would have been bench players since they have been at the club since they were young children and many times have been relegated to a bench role. They wouldn't have minded, and R. Madrid really could have used them.

Good post. Let's not forget that in 08-09, the team that finished 6th in La Liga that season (Villarreal) played ManU twice and drew them both times, and the games were very, very equal (the teams totally cancelled each other out). I do disagree with you about other teams in the Prem having a shot at the title. Liverpool never had a realistic shot at it, and neither did Arsenal. Since Arsenal's selling policy really kicked in to place, they haven't made a title challenge. In the past 6 or so years, the Prem has been a two-horse race, just like La Liga (except in the past 6 seasons, Barca and Real have both fallen out of the top two...has that happened to ManU or Chelsea during that time period). The thing is the past two seasons, Barca and Real have been historically great teams. So they've run away with the title. In the Prem, Chelsea and ManU constantly drop points to lower teams because they're not as good as they've been in recent years. Valencia has 4 less points than Arsenal with one less game played, so how does that make the number 3 team in Spain so terrible? The arguments are absolutely ridiculous.

I was watching few past videos of El Classicos. Classicos now are not even half intense as they used to be. Even few years back, like 5 years they were very intense. Back in 90s Barca won 5-0 against Madrid then next season Madrid got their revenge by beating Barca 5-0.

So much hatred between teams it was unreal. Would love to see game becoming like 90s, it was very physical and had quality players. This Madrid team has no passion when compared to teams of past and Zidane single handedly took Barca's midfield it was joy to watch. Wish we had those Madrid players against current Barca team.

During the first Galacticos Real Madrid was so awesome to watch. I really wish we could see them play this Barca team. It would be one of the best football games of all time. One thing is for certain, they wouldn't sit back with 11 men in front of the ball like this team. They would have more than 20% possession and they'd actually attack Barcelona and take the game to them. The Galacticos were very inconsistent, but if they were having a good day, they would play a great game of offensive football and beat this Barca team. The idea that there aren't quality players now for either team is horseshit, since they're two of the most talented in history, but I do agree about the passion.

Last edited:
Yet it's always the ManU and Chelsea fans that keep bringing this up. I don't really see how overrated they are, they're an historic team and people hype them up a bit because they're fun to watch but I don't really hear any out of control praise for them. Not nearly as out of control as the Mourinho lovefest gets. Look at how outraged people got that I dare suggest he wasn't as good as the media claims he is.

I dont know how overrated Jose is, but Barca wankfest is out of order.

Than why do peopel constantly talk about how attractive their football is? I do agree with you that it is fairly subjective to a certain degree. I'm not trying to claim that Barca's football is absolutely objectively attractive, because that's impossible to prove. But you're delusional and jealous if you think that most neutrals don't think they are a great team to watch. There's a reason everyone is ranting and raving about them. I'm not going to get in a discussion over how over/under rated Barca is, that would be for a different thread, but if they are overrated, it's simply media hype as a result of the fact that most people love watching them play.

People like you talk about how attractive is, but there are also many people who dont like the game they play. You are just trying to impose your opinions on to others when it comes to liking the game.
Regarding the bolded part, shove it. I have given example that not only Manutd and Chelsea fans there are others who dont like Barca's game. Do you have any statistics about how many neutrals liks or not? No. Just a baseless assumption. Not everyone think about the game as you do. We are all different and have different choices. Not everyone will be wanking about Barca.

I'm not going to get in a discussion over how over/under rated Barca is, that would be for a different thread, but if they are overrated, it's simply media hype as a result of the fact that most people love watching them play

Again contradiction. Do you even know why you started this thread? Coz of the same reasons that you have posted here.

Several people have agreed with me in this thread. Others claim he is the best manager in the game, which I don't believe. I think SAF is better (if you agree, than you too think Mourinho is overrated) I don't think Mourinho is in the top 3. I stated clearly my criteria for how I rate a manager, and according to that criteria, Mourinho is not in the top 3. Yet no one has really tried and offered their own, they just say I'm wrong. Who you think is the best is subjective to a certain degree, because it's based on how you define best. I gave my definition of how we measure the best, and according to my definition, he isn't. Don't see what's so wrong with that.

Jose wins wherever he goes, that makes him the best. And you are deluded if you think he is not among top 3 managers currently. You can make a pole in any forums(Excluding Barca as they are most deluded bunch) and check the results. Jose wins hands down..

Yet you're ignoring the point. First of all, the '99 team was great, but the 07-09 team was close. Some people think they were better, some people think they were worse. I personally think the 07-09 team was much better. The Prem has gotten much better in the past 10 years. The 07-09 team went to consecutive Champions League finals. Even if you think the 99 team was better, you're ignoring the fact that the 07-09 team was great. Barca won the treble and beat an historically great team very soundly in the final. What else do you expect them to do? How else could they establish historic status? Two seasons later, the team is even better than that one and sets a record point total. That makes them historic.

Our 08-09 team was not better than 07-08 and 1999. 08-09 and 07-08 we had almost same team, but we had different Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Carrick and no Hargo.

Such a poor argument it's not even funny. I don't see how you can completely miss the point of that statement and try and twist it around. La Liga has had some all-time great teams, yet none of them have reached as many points as Barca. So if Barca has reached a higher point total than those teams, that makes them an historic team. That was a very simple point that you should have been able to understand, and it was very obvious from my statement, and I have no idea how you could actually bring in the "historic match-up" thing, which has nothing to do at all with that argument. It doesn't even come close to fitting because historic matchups are a statistic measuring the all-time record one-team has against another, which, depending on the circumstances, is usually a stupid stat (they do it all the time in American sports, like they'll always show it before/during the Super Bowl, and it's stupid, it doesn't matter what the Packers and Steelers did against each other in the 1960's).

Jeez, will you try to understand the point. La Liga teams had great history but are we not comparing current La Liga teams? How are they doing in champions league?
La Liga teams were better in the past and now they are not. Hence all the bending over to top 2 clubs.

This is from a Madrid fan in Barca forum. I'm just quoting him.

A look @ the league table says it all about the glory of the competition nowadays ...so keep dreaming that the league is more credible source of determining who is the best especially when Real & Barca competitors are hardly putting up a fight ..nothing compared to what u suffer in the champions league
next year and like every year you know the league is either Barca or Real.. can u claim who will be next year CL winner or this year ?

So they're trying to lose? Barca and Real Madrid are two of the most talented teams in history, and they beat the other teams in the league. Don't see what your point is. Even if you want to look at UEFA coefficients, the Prem passed La Liga in 2008. Do you seriously think the entire league fell apart in two seasons? No one takes your SPL trolls seriously, it's just annoying. The past two seasons, the second-tier La Liga teams have struggled a bit, but that doesn't mean that all 18 teams all of the sudden suck. In 2008-2009, La Liga had 6 Champions League caliber teams. The team that finished in 6th place that season equalled ManU in the Champions League and there was nothing separating the sides. If the 6th placed La Liga team was as good as the 1st placed English team, I don't see how you can seriously claim there are only two teams in Spain. Look at how talented Atletico and Sevilla are. Look at Deportivo. Those teams are having horrible seasons, because every week in La Liga is tough. Anyone that thinks there is that big of a difference between any of the top 4 leagues is biased and delusional. So if you get a record point total in one of the top leagues, it makes you an historic team. Simple as that.

No, Most of the teams play to Barca's strengths hence they get the spanking. They have 4 champions league calibre teams but none of them do any better except Barca (Madrid only this season). La Liga has fell apart. Only a blind person cannot see that. Did you hear Sevilla president saying its better to make another league as Barca and Madrid gets all the financial benefits from the Govt and also the TV revenues are not helping any clubs but Barca and Madrid? Both clubs have sucked life out of the league. From 2008-09 it has gone downward spiral, only 2 clubs have improved and league as a whole has gone backwards.

Team fighting relegation(According to you) has beaten third best team in La liga, so what is your point with one off matches?

Just because lots of (English/American/Prem fan) idiots say that on the internet doesn't make it true. Just as people on the internet claiming Jose is the best in the world doesn't make it true.

Then why bother and bang your head when someone over internet says Jose is the best ever. Yes, i agree that I trolled a little when i compared it to SPL, but the format is same. 2 teams fighting for title, rest for remaining places.

But they were. They were an insanely talented team and they finished with 95 points. That de facto makes them an historic team. Where they as good as their record? I think not, they were great at grinding out results against all of those teams that were much less wealthy and talented than them (that's what Mourinho's the best at). But they were still an historic team.

It is a record in PL if I'm not wrong, that makes them historic team? No. Premier league was poor those seasons as few teams were in transitition. Taking nothing away from Chelsea but it was a walk in the park for them in that 2 seasons.

At the beginning of this season, it was very obvious ManU would win the title. Some people thought Chelsea may have been able to do it (I didn't, I didn't think they'd finish in the top 2), especially when they started out so strong. But by November, only one team was in the title race. How does that support your argument?

Says who? You are the only one maybe? Every pundit, Media, supporter(bar ManUtd fans) wrote us off. Till last week we had 3 teams fighting for the title Whereas as soon as there was 6 points gap in La Liga, it was over. So obvious.

And so they're not in the semi-finals? They won the Champions League one season. The next, they have to drive across Europe for the first leg and lose to an insanely talented team that stacks up very well against them. This season they're in the semi-finals and have a good chance at winning. They won a treble recently and beat an historically great team in the CL final by a mile. Two seasons later they're looking even better and set a record-point total in a huge league. Again an annoying troll. Barca has already proven they're historic even if they don't make the final.

Still that doesn't show anything why they can't win on travels. Troll? Your delusion is beyond belief. That is fact, I'm not cooking it up. They haven't won an away game till last round. Historic team indeed.

Funny how you accuse me of twisting words when you're even worse...the historical stuff I mentioned had absolutely nothing to do with that discussion. You're literally quoting me from a completely different tract and trying to apply it here, and I don't even know if it was in this thread or nor. Mike mentioned ManU's historical record against Barcelona (which was a moot point, I wasn't trying to compare the two or anything), and I simply said that historical records between two teams don't mean much since they generally record the statistics between two entirely sets of teams. This goes for any sport, it's not even about football. Anyway, that obviously doesn't mean "all historical stats are irrelevant." As far as the stats comparing the two leagues go, it is relevant for people making the idiotic SPL claims, because La Liga has had more winners in the past two decades since the Premiership. The Premiership is also a two-horse race (though this season it was a one-horse race), the only difference is the past two season, the top two in La Liga are much better than the top two anywhere.

That is not twisting. It is as relevant as historic match ups, as the Barca Manutd are not same as previous years, league is also not same. Do you think Newcastle can fight fot the title like they did in mid 90s and also do you think Blackburn can win the league now? No. Coz it was history.

Likewise there is no way Valencia, Atletico have any chance at title. You are just annoying. Not even consistent with your arguments. If historical match ups is not relevant how can historical league winners can be?

That's cool that he plays attacking against other teams, good for him, and it's expected since he has one of the most talented teams of all time. If he played conservative against teams that are worse than him that it would be quite an issue. My criticism though is that he plays too conservative against their hated arch-rivals. Real Madrid fans nor the general public want to see him completely park the bus against Barcelona in one of the most defensive Real Madrid games of all time.

Any proof for that? I have seen Madrid fans showering praises on Jose for winning the cup. Silverware matters most then comes the style.

For once post something without any assumptions. Just post what has happened and what you have seen instead of making Baseless assumptions like "
I know most neutrals like to watch Barca".. How do you know that.
"Madrid public didnt want to see defensive display"... Did you talk to any of the public? Did you see any boos for the Madrid team? No.

Last edited:
Just quoting from a writer of ESPNSoccernet

"The 1-1 draw in the Bernabeu set up the Copa del Rey win in deliberate fashion, enabling Mourinho to extend the defensive policy into a more attack-minded version, second time around. Barcelona failed to cope with either version. Pep Guardiola has so far taken each game at a time, whereas Mourinho has seen it as a series, and a series to be planned out. What's so wrong with that? Meanwhile, Real Madrid beat Bilbao 3-0 in San Mames and Valencia 6-3 in the Mestalla (they seem to like that ground now), playing attractive, attacking football. The simplistic idea that Real Madrid are defensive pragmatists only holds true for one game this season. Wherefore the fuss? As Andy Gray famously remarked - do me a favour."

And just like the post above had said, not everyone enjoy watching Barcelona. I myself find their playstyle horribly predictable and a total snoozefest. There might be a few instances where Barcelona's defense splitting passing and runs are a joy to behold (let's give that... 5 minutes?), but the remaining minutes (85) of the game is simply boring. Watching the centrebacks of Barcelona passing the ball around is not interesting at all.

Last edited:
He is so good that he got reaction from Pep.. King of Press Conference. I really miss him in the league..

Guardiola refused to take the comments lying down, though, and launched an angry response during his press conference this evening.

The Barca coach said: "Tomorrow at 8.45 we will meet each other on the pitch. Off the pitch he has already won.

"In this room (press room), he's the f****** chief, the f****** man, the person who knows everything about the world and I don't want to compete with him at all.

"It's a type of game I'm not going to play because I don't know how.

"I won't justify my words. I congratulated Madrid for the cup that they won deservedly on the pitch and against a team that I represent and of which I feel very proud."

He added: "Off the pitch, he has already won, as he has done all year.

"On the pitch, we'll see what happens.
"

He is so good that he got reaction from Pep.. King of Press Conference. I really miss him in the league..

Some of Guardiola's expressions have been tranlsated literally, which gives a false impression of his comments. And the media has blown this out of all proportion, even the Spanish press, which is every bit as yellow as any other.

Mourinho is a genius. End of story
As for the poll, Wenger is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the other guys there

I dont know how overrated Jose is, but Barca wankfest is out of order.

Not really, the media praises them because they're fun to watch, but not any more than other good teams. When ManU was very good from 07-09 the media praise was endless too. Jose gets way, way more attention than he deserves, and many regard him to be already the best in the game (or an all-time great). Eleven other people voted that he wasn't even in the top 3 in the world, which means they all agree he's overrated.

People like you talk about how attractive is, but there are also many people who dont like the game they play. You are just trying to impose your opinions on to others when it comes to liking the game.
Regarding the bolded part, shove it. I have given example that not only Manutd and Chelsea fans there are others who dont like Barca's game. Do you have any statistics about how many neutrals liks or not? No. Just a baseless assumption. Not everyone think about the game as you do. We are all different and have different choices. Not everyone will be wanking about Barca.

Never trying to impose anything, you're twisting my words once again. All I said was that many neutrals find their game attractive, and you disagreed. Sure a lot of haters complain about the way they play, but the fact is the entire world has been talking about them this season. Pretty hard to deny that. Sure there are people that don't like the way they play, I never denied that, but they aren't the majority of the football world. And most of them are ManU and Chelsea fans.

Again contradiction. Do you even know why you started this thread? Coz of the same reasons that you have posted here.

No, I started the thread to talk about Mourinho, and yet again you turned it into an anti-Barca and anti-Spain trope.

Jose wins wherever he goes, that makes him the best. And you are deluded if you think he is not among top 3 managers currently. You can make a pole in any forums(Excluding Barca as they are most deluded bunch) and check the results. Jose wins hands down..

Yet 11 other people thought he wasn't in the top 3. And when you actually do make a response to the topic, it's horribly simplified, poorly thought out, and not constructive. Have you even read anything else that was written here? People have written the same thing you just did over and over again, but some of them at least took the time to write a decent response other than one sentence saying "no he wins he's the best!" Jose has won only one competition in his life where he didn't have the most talented team. Managers like Wenger, SAF, Hiddink, etc. constantly get their teams to punch above their weight. They have done things that are more amazing than what Jose has done, so he hasn't proven himself to be at their level yet.

Our 08-09 team was not better than 07-08 and 1999. 08-09 and 07-08 we had almost same team, but we had different Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Carrick and no Hargo.

Your 08-09 team was very, very similar to the one previous, and better than the team in '99. The Prem and the game advanced a lot in those years.

Jeez, will you try to understand the point. La Liga teams had great history but are we not comparing current La Liga teams? How are they doing in champions league?
La Liga teams were better in the past and now they are not. Hence all the bending over to top 2 clubs.

And you refuse to listen to my point. La Liga has had some great teams over the years, and none of them could be as consistently successful as this Barca team. Your rants about all of the other 18 teams bending over to them are ill-founded, there is no way teams are losing on purpose. They just aren't equipped to beat either of these teams, so it happens rarely.

This is from a Madrid fan in Barca forum. I'm just quoting him.

A look @ the league table says it all about the glory of the competition nowadays ...so keep dreaming that the league is more credible source of determining who is the best especially when Real & Barca competitors are hardly putting up a fight ..nothing compared to what u suffer in the champions league
next year and like every year you know the league is either Barca or Real.. can u claim who will be next year CL winner or this year ?

So a Madrid fan who is bitter about Barca's success agrees with you...cool.

No, Most of the teams play to Barca's strengths hence they get the spanking. They have 4 champions league calibre teams but none of them do any better except Barca (Madrid only this season). La Liga has fell apart. Only a blind person cannot see that. Did you hear Sevilla president saying its better to make another league as Barca and Madrid gets all the financial benefits from the Govt and also the TV revenues are not helping any clubs but Barca and Madrid? Both clubs have sucked life out of the league. From 2008-09 it has gone downward spiral, only 2 clubs have improved and league as a whole has gone backwards.

It hasn't fallen apart, it's the second best league in the world. Sure a few good teams have had bad seasons the last couple years, and you're right about the financing, but the arguments you make based off of that are ludicrous. You can't seriously claim that the entire league has instantly disintegrating in two seasons. There are 20 teams in the league, and those 20 teams are about as good as the teams from the other three leagues in the big 4.

Team fighting relegation(According to you) has beaten third best team in La liga, so what is your point with one off matches?

It's not a one-off match, they were two very important Champions League games, and I'm simply making the obvious point that there isn't a big difference in between the Prem and La Liga.

Then why bother and bang your head when someone over internet says Jose is the best ever. Yes, i agree that I trolled a little when i compared it to SPL, but the format is same. 2 teams fighting for title, rest for remaining places.

Not banging my head in, this is the first time I've even mentioned it, and it is annoying to hear Mourinho constantly praised while other great managers are hardly mentioned (Hiddink, Moyes, etc.) or even constantly criticized (Wenger). The format right now in La Liga is the same as in any big league, usually it's a two-horse race. The Prem this season was mostly a one-horse race. So it's a terrible argument.

It is a record in PL if I'm not wrong, that makes them historic team? No. Premier league was poor those seasons as few teams were in transitition. Taking nothing away from Chelsea but it was a walk in the park for them in that 2 seasons.

Yeah they were an historic team. They were one of the most talented teams of all time, and they got a record. They're an historic team. Barca has done all of that and won a Champions League (and reached the final this year, and who knows, they might even win it). And their core of players won the Euro 08 and WC 2010. That makes them historic.

Says who? You are the only one maybe? Every pundit, Media, supporter(bar ManUtd fans) wrote us off. Till last week we had 3 teams fighting for the title Whereas as soon as there was 6 points gap in La Liga, it was over. So obvious.

No one seriously wrote off ManU at the beginning of the season, and Chelsea was out of the race by December. It was a two-horse race until February. After that point, no one seriously thought that anyone other than ManU had a shot at the title. It was only a bizarre turn of events last weekend that has given another team a chance. But that will be done with this weekend.

Still that doesn't show anything why they can't win on travels. Troll? Your delusion is beyond belief. That is fact, I'm not cooking it up. They haven't won an away game till last round. Historic team indeed.

So Chelsea's away record has been better than ManU's this season, does that mean that Chelsea is a better team? Barca did win away before the last round, check your facts, and who cares if they didn't win some of those games. They were completely focused on La Liga and easily reached first in their group stage. They didn't have to worry about some of those games and they didn't play a lot of starters. They came to the Emirates, playing the 4th or 5th best team in the world, outplayed them and then took their foot off the gas. But they were the much, much better team over both legs. They're historic because they won a treble and then set point-total records the next two seasons, making the Champions League final in one, and their core of players won the Euro and WC back to back, winning the admiration of a lot of neutrals in the process.

That is not twisting. It is as relevant as historic match ups, as the Barca Manutd are not same as previous years, league is also not same. Do you think Newcastle can fight fot the title like they did in mid 90s and also do you think Blackburn can win the league now? No. Coz it was history.

But you claim that La Liga is the SPL, which clearly it isn't. I've already showed that in recent history, that isn't in the case. Just because the past two seasons two of the teams are much better than the rest doesn't mean anything. The Prem has had many years with a two-horse and even one-horse race. Does that make it the SPL?

Likewise there is no way Valencia, Atletico have any chance at title. You are just annoying. Not even consistent with your arguments. If historical match ups is not relevant how can historical league winners can be?

Because we're talking about the quality of the league, which is much greater than two teams. Historical matchups are meaningless. But the fact that someone outside of the two best in La Liga have won the league more recently than either of the two best in the PL shows that you can't claim that La Liga is ****. It's not like the entire league has gone to **** over the past several years. Also, since the Bundesliga has more winners than either, it's clearly the better league, right?

Any proof for that? I have seen Madrid fans showering praises on Jose for winning the cup. Silverware matters most then comes the style.

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't like the tactics. Some fans are just happy for the trophy, but others are ****** off at how defensive they play, that's for sure.

For once post something without any assumptions. Just post what has happened and what you have seen instead of making Baseless assumptions like "
I know most neutrals like to watch Barca".. How do you know that.
"Madrid public didnt want to see defensive display"... Did you talk to any of the public? Did you see any boos for the Madrid team? No.

But most neutrals do like to watch Barca. That's why they're so popular. Obviously there are a lot of Chelsea and ManU fans that hate them for obvious reasons, but there is a reason the media has a "wankfest" over them, in your words.

Just quoting from a writer of ESPNSoccernet

"The 1-1 draw in the Bernabeu set up the Copa del Rey win in deliberate fashion, enabling Mourinho to extend the defensive policy into a more attack-minded version, second time around. Barcelona failed to cope with either version. Pep Guardiola has so far taken each game at a time, whereas Mourinho has seen it as a series, and a series to be planned out. What's so wrong with that? Meanwhile, Real Madrid beat Bilbao 3-0 in San Mames and Valencia 6-3 in the Mestalla (they seem to like that ground now), playing attractive, attacking football. The simplistic idea that Real Madrid are defensive pragmatists only holds true for one game this season. Wherefore the fuss? As Andy Gray famously remarked - do me a favour."

And just like the post above had said, not everyone enjoy watching Barcelona. I myself find their playstyle horribly predictable and a total snoozefest. There might be a few instances where Barcelona's defense splitting passing and runs are a joy to behold (let's give that... 5 minutes?), but the remaining minutes (85) of the game is simply boring. Watching the centrebacks of Barcelona passing the ball around is not interesting at all.

The thing is when Barca is boring that's only a result of the other team playing incredibly defensive. When teams go on the offensive against Barca you don't see them passing the ball around with their center-backs. It's amazing that Barca gets criticized for boring football when the people making those criticisms never complain when their own clubs play result-oriented football, and that they don't criticize Barca's opponents for making the game boring. Spain got the same criticism this cup and it is so annoying to hear. Spain's opponents played incredibly defensive, boring, physical football, which made Spain less effective and exciting to watch, but they still managed to win the whole thing. Then people criticize Spain for playing boring football. Absolutely ridiculous.

Mourinho is a genius. End of story
As for the poll, Wenger is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the other guys there

Is Avram Grant a genius too? If winning with teams you're supposed to win with makes you a genius, than there are a lot of geniuses out there.

As far as your remarks about Wenger, what a load of horseshit, you're probably 10 years old and don't remember the 90's and 00's when he actually had a decent-sized budget. I bet you think Moyes is a terrible manager too, because he doesn't win any trophies, right?

Back on-topic. Mourinho parks the bus again in the most defensive display I've ever seen from Real Madrid. I thought at home he might have the courage to go out and have his team play some football but I was wrong. It turns the game into a borefest of diving and complaining. Although RM had a legitimate goal called back, Barca was the better team over both legs, and Mourinho is the worst loser in all of sports. His rant was absolutely disgraceful. SAF and Wenger aren't the best losers but you would NEVER see them make those kinds of comments. They'd complain about Barca's diving, play-acting, and complaining, but they wouldn't come out with a bunch of conspiracy theories and try to get themselves ejected from the game to get attention. If I were ManU there is no way I'd want this guy at my club, he just isn't a professional and I agree with Hitzfeld, he's made his club look bad. ManU is such a storied club and you want someone who will represent it in a good way. For me, Moyes would be perfect, and he's proven himself in ways that Mourinho hasn't (working on a budget, developing young players, managing a club over time and keeping it in good shape).

Madrid had a player sent off wrongly and ended up conceding 2 goals. The match should have ended 0-0 as both teams failed to create any chances. Well the probability was high.

Second match Clear Higuain goal was ruled out and match would have ended 2-1.

Barca won not coz Jose sucked or Barca are superior, they won because of their cheap tactics..

Oh and the most ridiculous excuse ever, Barca dived coz Madrid parked the bus. It can't get any more pathetic than this..

Last edited:
Madrid had a player sent off wrongly and ended up conceding 2 goals. The match should have ended 0-0 as both teams failed to create any chances. Well the probability was high.

Second match Clear Higuain goal was ruled out and match would have ended 2-1.

Barca won not coz Jose sucked or Barca are superior, they won because of their cheap tactics..

Oh and the most ridiculous excuse ever, Barca dived coz Madrid parked the bus. It can't get any more pathetic than this..

We've all been over this a million times. RM had a goal called back, maybe Pepe's red was harsh, but Barca was clearly the better team over the two legs. RM had no possession, few chances, and couldn't even move the team out of their own half save for the beginning of the second half of the second leg. People are complaining about how Barca acted but only the delusional are claiming they didn't deserve to go through.

Of course Barca dove because of RM's tactics. When you respond to Barca's style by being extremely defensive and physical it rewards diving. If the game was open people wouldn't be diving because they wouldn't want to disrupt the flow of the game. RM's strategy was to disrupt Barca's fluidity as much as possible by being physical, closing them down, defending with 11 men. These are good tactics to beat Barca, although they sacrifice entertainment and pride in pursuit of the result. A good response to this unfortunately, in terms of getting the result at the price of sportsmanship, is to dive, win fouls, and get your opponent carded, which is what Barca did. In the second game RM was down and the actually had to attack, so it made the game much more open and better to watch. This meant that there was a lot less diving and bullshit. Of course Mascherano dove at the right time to get a goal called back, but the rest of the game was much better.

But you've already decided you hate Barca with all your soul so there's no point in reasoning with you.

FFS curtis lol, too long

Jose finally went 4-2-3-1 and got so much more out of the game, backs up my initial assesment that he should have done so in the first leg, and your's in the fact that he should have given them a game.

FFS curtis lol, too long

Jose finally went 4-2-3-1 and got so much more out of the game, backs up my initial assesment that he should have done so in the first leg, and your's in the fact that he should have given them a game.

To be fair my response was mostly quotes.

I think RM came out better the second game because they had to go out and score. That opened up the game for them and allowed them to play like they naturally do instead of taking the cautious Mourinho park the bus route. I think it was that more than anything, although the 4-2-3-1 definitely allows them to go out and play offensively.

You are right though, I definitely prefer the 4-2-3-1 and think it suits them better (most importantly, it allows them to play much more attractive, attacking football), I just thought that the 4-3-3 was better for holding off Barca defensively since you match their formation and have Pepe as a destroyer DM, which helps keep Messi in check. Worked very well for the first part, until Pepe went in studs up on Alves. Pepe is great at what he does but he has always been an incredibly dirty player. Probably why the refs believed Alves' play-acting even though he barely got touched.

To be fair my response was mostly quotes.

I think RM came out better the second game because they had to go out and score. That opened up the game for them and allowed them to play like they naturally do instead of taking the cautious Mourinho park the bus route. I think it was that more than anything, although the 4-2-3-1 definitely allows them to go out and play offensively.

You are right though, I definitely prefer the 4-2-3-1 and think it suits them better (most importantly, it allows them to play much more attractive, attacking football), I just thought that the 4-3-3 was better for holding off Barca defensively since you match their formation and have Pepe as a destroyer DM, which helps keep Messi in check. Worked very well for the first part, until Pepe went in studs up on Alves. Pepe is great at what he does but he has always been an incredibly dirty player. Probably why the refs believed Alves' play-acting even though he barely got touched.

i think when you have a player like lass (who had a stormer) then you can get away with playing the 4-2-3-1.

when you play the 4-3-3 the way they do you run the risk of exactly what happened with pepe, even though it was a harsh call

i think when you have a player like lass (who had a stormer) then you can get away with playing the 4-2-3-1.

when you play the 4-3-3 the way they do you run the risk of exactly what happened with pepe, even though it was a harsh call

I definitely agree, play a great playmaking CM along a great destroyer and the 4-2-3-1 is very effective. Madrid's best formation is definitely

Higuain
Ronaldo Ozil Di Maria
Alonso Lass
Marcelo Carvalho Arbeloa (or Pepe) Ramos
Casillas

The problem with this, however, is that when Alonso is missing, Madrid has a very hard time moving the ball from the defense to the attackers. Those four are high up the pitch with zero defensive responsibilities, so you need a great distributor in the midfield. This is what happened in their loss to Osasuna and to Gijon (although I didn't catch that one, Alonso wasn't playing and I heard that was the problem). This is why Guti would have been great for RM this season, he could have filled that Alonso role when he wasn't there.

As far as Khedira vs. Lass, I like Khedira better and he is better at going forward. You'll get away with this against a lot of teams, but against some teams you run the risk of having a lack of steel in the midfield, and you won't be able to win the ball over. That can be the case when you play Barca, since having a destroyer to disrupt their midfield as much as possible is probably a good idea.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Mourinho overrated? Thread should be closed just for saying that.

11 people thought he wasn't even in the top 3 managers in the world so I'm not the only one. You have to admit he gets far more praise than any other manager in the world (even SAF, which just blows my mind), while you don't even hear about guys like Hiddink, Moyes, Wenger, etc. Wenger is the perfect example. IMO he has proven himself more than Jose has, yet he is constantly criticized by the media. I think he gets more flak than any manager in sports that I can think of. Yet he continues to work miracles on a tight budget. There's a lot of reading in here but I've outlined pretty clearly what I think makes a great manager, and Jose hasn't proven it (yet). So I think he's overrated, and it has to do with the fact that people think he's cool. It's part of his strategy.

I definitely agree, play a great playmaking CM along a great destroyer and the 4-2-3-1 is very effective. Madrid's best formation is definitely

Higuain
Ronaldo Ozil Di Maria
Alonso Lass
Marcelo Carvalho Arbeloa (or Pepe) Ramos
Casillas

The problem with this, however, is that when Alonso is missing, Madrid has a very hard time moving the ball from the defense to the attackers. Those four are high up the pitch with zero defensive responsibilities, so you need a great distributor in the midfield. This is what happened in their loss to Osasuna and to Gijon (although I didn't catch that one, Alonso wasn't playing and I heard that was the problem). This is why Guti would have been great for RM this season, he could have filled that Alonso role when he wasn't there.

As far as Khedira vs. Lass, I like Khedira better and he is better at going forward. You'll get away with this against a lot of teams, but against some teams you run the risk of having a lack of steel in the midfield, and you won't be able to win the ball over. That can be the case when you play Barca, since having a destroyer to disrupt their midfield as much as possible is probably a good idea.

Real have noted their flaw with Xabi, and are poised to ****** Nuri Sahin from dortmund. They can play without ronaldo, but not without alonso

Back