anjanthebe

Reaction score
UPDATE 18.3.0.

I have update the tactics to highlight the tactical switch that has helped Salah score tons of goals. A lot of this has to do with the sacrifice Mane and Firmino have made, as Salah is playing a lot higher and closer to the goal. Mane is more involved in the build up coming deep to receive the ball and running into the opposition defence, hence you can understand why he is not scoring as much as the rest of the front three. Firmino does his usual stuff albeit a slight increase in his goal scoring perhaps due to his increasing familiarity with the number 9 role. However, it is Salah who tends to occupy the defenders more (remember when he received the ball into his feet and turned away from Harry Maguire to score like a typical centre forward) or simply runs into channel often.

(Salah's position on his last game against Watford)

View attachment 61472

(Passing network on FM18)

View attachment 61458

I have only managed to test the tactic for half a season as I very to post this out having seen Salah score four goals against Watford. There has not been very much changes to the team instructions apart from 'work the ball into box' has been added to reduce long shots. Left wing has been changed to 'Inside forward support' to replicate Mane coming in deep to receive the ball. The midfield is very much industrious and no longer features a play-maker, Carrilero alongside a center midfielder who like to burst into attacking areas like Oxlade-Chamberlain. Salah has been changed into Raumdeuter with additional instructions for dribble more and shoot more. I have struggled playing in Champions League, however there are very little issues in the league and I have had all my front three in the top ten scorers.

***Important: The new tactics is specifically designed for the right wing forward to excel, in that sense if he struggles the whole team struggles. I would recommend choosing an athletic team or with pacy winger at the least.

View attachment 61449 View attachment 61437

View attachment 61457 View attachment 61443

View attachment 61445 View attachment 61454

New tactic: so far seems to work well with Liverpool mostly Klopp's Liverpool 4-3-3 18.3.0.

Old tactic updated (recommended): plug-in-tactic, works superbly with all teams Klopp High Press 18.3.0.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool 2017/2018

[video=youtube;FvUxn0_7N_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUxn0_7N_s[/video]

Klopp's 4-3-3 at Liverpool is relentless, explosive and very entertaining to watch. It is very attacking, in fact that is the only plan. In Salah and Mane, they have tremendous pace aided by Moreno and Trent Alexander-Arnold who are both decently quick. The two central midfielders are expected to shuttle from box to box, with the idea that the ball is either won high up the pitch by overloading or win possession at the middle of the pitch and launch attacks immediately. The wide forwards cut inside and allow the wingbacks to overlap, one of the central midfielder is position slightly higher to take advantage of space created by the movement of False 9.

When Liverpool are high up the pitch, Jordan Henderson operating as deep a deep-lying playmaker positions himself near the centre-backs. His role is simple, yet crucial to the team's success. He is quite simply adept at recycling possession, intercepting and tackling. When starting attack he drops deep to collect the ball and spreads it to advance players.

Firmino's role is extremely crucial to this system. So much that his performance is not judged by the amount of goals he scores, instead much of his contributions is done off the ball. By dropping deep from the striker's position, he leaves room for the wide players and midfielders to move into. Quite simply he creates a lot of chances for the team.

However, at times Liverpool have been frustrating to watch or quite stressful experience. This is a team that is built to attack at full speed. Whenever possession is lost the team counter press to win it back immediately and launch counter attacks before considering either recycling possession or retaining the ball. It works against teams who look to play possession football, but against weak opponents they struggle to break them down.

Formation
View attachment 76538

Team Instructions
Klopp instructs his players to press spaces. When Liverpool lose the ball, they do not retreat back to their defensive formation and defend. Instead, they attack space by employing a high defensive live aided by aggressive offside trap while the players overload the opponents. This results in the opposition passing it backwards or at least make it difficult to play it through the middle.

They also look to compact themselves vertically. The team are positioned very narrow to overload one side of the pitch and quite often the opponent on the other flank is left unmarked. However, Klopp realises when one of the flank is overloaded switching flanks is difficult which increases the chance of winning the ball.

Klopp likes to play short passes however it is not possession based compared to Pochettino's. When Klopp's team win possession they immediately look to attack which may result in turning over the possession. However, Pochettino's team are more reserved and look to retain the ball once possession is won. Pochettino's team are much better at utilising possession compared to Klopp's. I would say, Klopp's team mentality is attack and Pochettino's is control.

View attachment 76537

Opposition Instructions
It is clear that Klopp wants to win the ball through counter press, but he also lays pressing traps for the opponents. Particularly, the goalkeeper is allowed to pass to the center-backs. Passing lanes to the midfield is blocked off either by central midfielder or by deliberately marking the deepest midfielder or the playmaker and only leaving passing options open to the full back positions. Once the ball is passed to a full back, the team presses heavily and overload the flank. And again this is only achieved by playing a very narrow formation.

I would only recommend closing down the full backs and hard tackling them as your inside forwards will do this with wing backs as cover. Closing down wingers is quite risky as I have found that the opposition winger will simply dribble past your wingbacks if the press fails. Also, I would recommend tight marking opponent's playmaker or if they are not using playmaker than mark the deepest midfielder, normally a holding midfielder to stop them from recycling possession.

Results
Safe to say, watching Liverpool on FM18 is not as nerve racking as watching them play in real-life. Anybody who doesn't know what I meant by that, just watch Sevilla 3-3 Liverpool the other day. Anyway, played a full season and managed to win the League, Champions League and finished FA Cup Runner-up. Managed to go unbeaten in the League, however the Champions League results were mixed and only managed to advance to final due to excellent home wins. I think this was due to rotation and Liverpool lacking like for like back up to Mane and Salah.

Scored 91 goals and conceded 21. Performed quite well against strong teams but also struggled to break down weaker teams as you can see lot of games ended 1-0. Although, managed to score more than 6 goals on three occasions.

View attachment 76534

View attachment 76533

Key Performer (False 9)
As I said earlier, the False 9 role is integral to this system and quite rightly Roberto Firmino was standout in this role. He managed to lead in assists and came second to Coutinho on key passes in the League (Coutinho is the playmaker) and created the most chances in the team.

Key passes
View attachment 76532

Chances created
View attachment 76531

Key Performer (Deep-lying Play-maker)
Henderson's role is the least celebrated role and his contributions simply go unnoticed. But if you look at his stats and you will clearly see why he needs to be at his best all times.

Passes completed
View attachment 76530

Tackles won
View attachment 76529

Pass completion percentage
View attachment 76528

Overall Gameplay
As expected, the two wide forwards scored a lot of goals along with the Firmino whom I did not expect to contribute massively in this area. I did expect goals to be spread around the whole team as there is no recognised goal scorer.

Top scorers
View attachment 76527

Chances created
View attachment 76526

Tackles won ratio
View attachment 76525

Additional
In terms of training, there is no specific routines other than to tweak to minimise injuries. I did realise my Liverpool team had quite poor aerial abilities particularly low jumping and low height. So, I spent the whole season match preparation as Defending set pieces. Perhaps, whatever suits the team!

Also make sure that your wide players are pacy so they can ping back the opposition defenders.

Download: Klopp High Press

Last edited:
forum is bugged for now,you have to use external for fmf file & pic

OP can you upload to mediafire or anything like it?

Overall good tactic but a lot of shoots from outside box, can we reduce this

You could use the 'work ball into box' instructions to limit the shots and reduce tempo to higher to reduce turning over possession. To be fair Liverpool do create a lot of scoring opportunities and shoot immediately when given chance.

Gonna try this with my first Liverpool save! Been waiting for someone to make this! :) Ill keep you updated.

GOOD TACTIC BUT LOTS OF INJURIE'S

HI Been looking for a Liverpool tactic for ages that replicate RL.
so giving ago, so far all is well except i'm getting a lot of injuries pre-season.
Any ideas how to reduce this anyone ?
I've setup exactly how it says on the first page by the way

So with the opposition instructions it is best to really just go with what your assistant managers on this as it is not clear enough in this thread what the actual instructions are as many people will say there should be a screen shot of these , Anyway i hope this taxtic is good been waiting for a Klopp tactic with Liverpool !!

HI Been looking for a Liverpool tactic for ages that replicate RL.
so giving ago, so far all is well except i'm getting a lot of injuries pre-season.
Any ideas how to reduce this anyone ?
I've setup exactly how it says on the first page by the way

With the injuries it is simply managing training workload and rotation. The tactic is very intensive, so put injury prone players to low workload.

So with the opposition instructions it is best to really just go with what your assistant managers on this as it is not clear enough in this thread what the actual instructions are as many people will say there should be a screen shot of these , Anyway i hope this taxtic is good been waiting for a Klopp tactic with Liverpool !!

I agree with the opposition instruction it is not very clear. I have only set closing down and hard tackling to full back and wing back position. Marking a CDM or play-maker is completely down to your own intuitive.

That's the way i like my team to play. Thanks for creating this and shared with us!