Kolo Toure Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly boy if he's taken something serious deliberately. Guardian article suggests nothing is clear though & he may well have taken something by accident (depending on the reasons for which, he still may get banned for some period of time as has happened before).

Should be banned imo. I don't buy into that wife's weight loss pill ****.

Firstly, it's easy to lie. Secondly, his "job" involves training all week + a game, constantly doing fitness etc, with restricted balanced diets. Obviously he doesn't need to lose weight, and if he did, he'd be doing a bit extra in training, not taking pills.

Should be banned imo. I don't buy into that wife's weight loss pill ****.

Firstly, it's easy to lie. Secondly, his "job" involves training all week + a game, constantly doing fitness etc, with restricted balanced diets. Obviously he doesn't need to lose weight, and if he did, he'd be doing a bit extra in training, not taking pills.

Except these pills are most likely meant to increase your metabolism; a desirable effect for an athlete.

I don't think it works like that now Mike. Players are now hit with tests at any second. 1 minuite You're training with the lads, next minuite BAM, Whip your **** out and **** in this. No time to run, hide or make excuses.

If Kolo has unknowingly taken something for whatever reason (which it is looking is the likely explaination) then i feel very sorry for him. There is an astranomical difference in somebody injecting performance enhacing steds to gain an unfair advantage on the field, Somebody snorting coke coz they're a mug and somebody just being careless and not reading the label or doing his homework on a medicine or whatever. I'm sure Kolo falls into the latter catergory.

But as has been metioned before the rules are very black and white. Even if it's an accident they will still punish him which i think is bollocks.
its how its used, (hence how Ferdinand missed it) he left carrington to go shopping think he wouold get a slap in on the wrist. wrong thinking.

no the rules are the rules, and every player is aware of them. they even highlighted again to the players back in november. everyplayer is under the same guidelines as a every athlete, the rules are incredibly clear. Doesnt matter if he took the wrong medicine, if he hasnt taken the right steps t ensure he did everything right, still gonna bet banned, and even if he demonstrates that, can still get a ban

if you are ill you see your club medic, always.

from the BBC:

Q: Is there ever an excuse for failing a drugs test?

The principle of strict liability underpins the whole of doping policy. What it means in practical terms is that you, the athlete, are responsible for what's in your body regardless of how it got there.

There are mitigating circumstances, but the burden of proof rests on the athlete. In other words, Toure will have to satisfactorily explain how a prohibited substance was found in his sample. Some examples could be proof that drink or food was maliciously spiked by a fellow competitor, or proof the substance was forcibly injected by a third party.

The reason that strict liability is used is to prevent reliance on the obvious excuse of "I didn't know it was in the tablet I took," or "I didn't know what I was taking".

It's a similar to the caveat "ignorance of the law is no defence." It's a tough stance, but it has to be to protect the clean athletes.

Q: Manchester City say the substance found in Kolo Toure's sample was on the "specified list". What does that mean?

The World Anti Doping Agency, WADA produces an annual list of all prohibited substances.

It's regularly updated, and always under review. New drugs are being found all the time, and understanding of what effect they can have changes. Some categories of drug are a total no-no like steroids, and their use is banned at all times. Others are only banned during competition, and that includes the category of stimulants.

The stimulant section is divided into two, "non-specified" and "specified". The non- specified include things like amphetamines, which could clearly be performance enhancing.

Specified stimulants, for example ephedrine, fall into a rather more grey area. Ephedrine is found in a lot of cough and cold remedies, and an athlete might be able to argue that its use was not intended to be performance enhancing.

To reflect the fact that there may be an explanation for the presence of these substances which could have a more innocent foundation, the punishments vary from a warning to a two year suspension from any given sport.

In a recent case involving the Hamilton Academical player, Simon Mensing - who tested positive for a substance on the specified list - UK Anti-Doping accepted that the substance had been taken inadvertently in a dietary supplement and that Mensing had taken steps to check whether the supplement contained any prohibited substance.

Despite those checks and balances, he still committed an anti-doping violation, but his punishment was only a four week ban.

Q: What happens now to Kolo Toure?

When a urine test is taken, it's split into two: an 'A' sample and a 'B' sample.

The 'A' sample is tested and the 'B' sample is stored for cross referencing. Toure can now ask for the 'B' sample to be tested to see if it comes up with the same adverse finding as the 'A' sample, or if it contradicts it. It's very rare for the 'B' sample not to match the 'A'.

Assuming they do match, there's then a process to be followed which will establish if there's a case to answer, then to set a time for a full hearing to take place where the facts and any mitigation can be discussed.

After the hearing, any sanction will be announced. Toure has the right to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. WADA can also appeal if they feel the case has not been handled properly, or if the punishment isn't appropriate.

When i saw this pop up on SSN yesterday i was shocked?? Full marks to Wenger now though for getting rid of him and Adebayor, shows how clued up he was on these two players.

When i saw this pop up on SSN yesterday i was shocked?? Full marks to Wenger now though for getting rid of him and Adebayor, shows how clued up he was on these two players.

What a stupid thing to say. Adebayor is a *** but Kolo? He's a top player and a great guy who gave your club great years of great service.

Your comment suggests that Wenger somehow knew Kolo was a dodgy geezer and this was just a matter of time. But that couldn't be further than the truth. He's one of the nicest most honest guys in football.

P.S. Wenger came out today DEFENDING Kolo.

Can I ask why if the B sample comes back negative, he's off the hook? Surely there's an equal probability of the first sample being a false-positive as there is the second sample being a false-negative?

Eh? Wenger got rid of them because City offered a ridiculous amount of money. Shows more how clued up he is on player' potential.

Flamini, Adebarndoor, Hleb, Henry, Pires, Vieira, Toure: All players who had brilliant final seasons for Arsenal, but failed to find the same form on a consistent basis for their new clubs.

What a stupid thing to say. Adebayor is a *** but Kolo? He's a top player and a great guy who gave your club great years of great service.

Your comment suggests that Wenger somehow knew Kolo was a dodgy geezer and this was just a matter of time. But that couldn't be further than the truth. He's one of the nicest most honest guys in football.

Indeed. Kolo Toure's not really a "top player" though, is he? And how do you know if he's a great guy or not, or whether he's nice and honest? Clearly - he's not that honest if he's taken banned substances and failed a drugs test...

And, contrary to popular belief, CJACKO actually supports Chelsea! Shockhorror! A club whom Kolo Toure did *not* give great years of service...

Now now children. Keep it civil please.:)

Eh? Wenger got rid of them because City offered a ridiculous amount of money. Shows more how clued up he is on player' potential.

Flamini, Adebarndoor, Hleb, Henry, Pires, Vieira, Toure: All players who had brilliant final seasons for Arsenal, but failed to find the same form on a consistent basis for their new clubs.

I ment in terms of footballing ability for his side. If i ment taking illegal substances then i wouldnt have included Adebayor in the convo would i.

I purely ment Arsene saw somthing in them that they wouldnt be good enough for future Arsenaln squads. My god arnt people so quick to jump on my back.

Indeed. Kolo Toure's not really a "top player" though, is he? And how do you know if he's a great guy or not, or whether he's nice and honest? Clearly - he's not that honest if he's taken banned substances and failed a drugs test...

And, contrary to popular belief, CJACKO actually supports Chelsea! Shockhorror! A club whom Kolo Toure did *not* give great years of service...

Didn't Paddy Kenny get banned for buying cough mixture once? That was a joke imo.....

Kolo, you ******* nonce....

Back on September 2nd!

Not too long, which is good, want him back ASAP, top bloke IMO

Back on September 2nd!

Not too long, which is good, want him back ASAP, top bloke IMO

He's better than Lescott, that's for sure, but I think Kompany has overtaken him in the pecking order.

8 months for Rio missing and passing a test. Paddy Kenny got 9 months for cough medicine, and then Toure gets 6 months - most of which is taken by the summer break anyway.

8 months for Rio missing and passing a test. Paddy Kenny got 9 months for cough medicine, and then Toure gets 6 months - most of which is taken by the summer break anyway.

My article points all of that out (A).. Ban should start in July.

As you can see, the most injustice there is Paddy Kenny's.

Who is by the way the greatest man in the world and is therefore victimised.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

He's better than Lescott, that's for sure, but I think Kompany has overtaken him in the pecking order.

I'm not a City fan if thats what you're thinking lol but I do agree with you, like Kompany & Toure

As you can see, the most injustice there is Paddy Kenny's.

Who is by the way the greatest man in the world and is therefore victimised.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

I'm not a City fan if thats what you're thinking lol but I do agree with you, like Kompany & Toure

Definitely gonna make a strong defending duo for Money City F.C.

Obviously its best to take drugs and fail a test rather than not take drugs and miss a test.

Obviously its best to take drugs and fail a test rather than not take drugs and miss a test.

Reminds me of cycling. Michael Rasmussen got kicked out of the Tour de France after missing a test (while winning :'(, probably was doped, but still), but Contador is still riding after getting a positive test...

Status
Not open for further replies.