Kolo Toure Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show this around an hour ago on SSN, quite disappointed in Toure tbh

Paddy Kenny got a year(ish) for taking cough medicine whilst on holiday (away from team Doctors) so I would be surprised if Kolo can get a way with less than that, unless it was his Doctors fault

Well they interviewed a physio from Charlton, and basically he said if a player is unwell etc, they are told you should always go see the club doctor, and take it from there, and every player is pretty much told "if you ain't sure, don't take it".

Well they interviewed a physio from Charlton, and basically he said if a player is unwell etc, they are told you should always go see the club doctor, and take it from there, and every player is pretty much told "if you ain't sure, don't take it".
I accept that he was banned, im just saying that he more than likely had a better excuse than Kolo (if it is true)

Last edited:
Seriously Stu? Bit Much no ? :S

Nope. My valid opinion. He takes a banned substance, he is a stupid ****. When you are told to steer clear of certain drugs and medication etc, you check what is in the stuff you take. Common Sense TBH

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Toure-faces-fight-to-prove-his-innocence.html
Sorry if this has been posted,

“He has been suspended from participating in all first team and non-first team matches pending the outcome of the legal process,” read a statement on City’s website.
The FA stated “that a player has been provisionally suspended from playing pending investigation, having tested positive for the use of a prohibited substance.” It is the first positive test under the FA’s auspices since an unnamed player was banned after testing positive for cocaine in January last year.
City were informed of the results of the test late on Wednesday afternoon and duly withdrew the player from Roberto Mancini’s squad for the rearranged FA Cup fifth-round tie with Aston Villa. The failed test automatically triggered the suspension, with City left with no option but to exclude him from their plans until the conclusion of proceedings.
How long Touré is banned for, should he be found guilty, will depend on the substance involved, the explanation for how it was in his body and any mitigating circumstances.
According to the code of the World Anti-Doping Agency, “specified substances” are those that are “more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation.” Those substances on the list can be used to enhance performance but can also be found in legitimate therapies, such as cold cures and dietary supplements. Most common recreational drugs would not fall into the same category.

Even if Touré can prove to the FA that he only ingested a prohibited substance unknowingly, though, his punishment according to Wada could still be as draconian as a two-year ban.
The code states: “If the athlete can prove that he or she did not intend to enhance performance by using them to the satisfaction of the results management authority, the sanction under the World Anti-Doping code can go from a warning to a two-year ban.” The most recent precedent for cases of this type is the former Sheffield United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, now with QPR, who was banned for nine months in September 2009 after testing positive for ephedrine, a prohibited substance found in cold remedies.
The FA chose not to punish Kenny to the full extent of its powers after admitting that he had not deliberately sought to enhance performance when taking an over-the-counter cold remedy without consulting United’s medical team.
The Hamilton midfielder Simon Mensing was banned for just a month after testing positive for another specified substance, methylhexaneamine, in December. The Englishman explained that he had taken a contaminated dietary supplement and provided credible evidence to support his case. The Scottish Football Association took that information into account when sentencing him to a rare short ban.
UK Anti-Doping warned athletes last November to be vigilant about the possible presence of banned substances in dietary supplements that are available on the high street.
Though neither Manchester City nor the FA were last night prepared to estimate a timescale for the case, it is likely that the club will be without Touré for far longer than the five games Mensing missed north of the border while the £14 million defender’s case is worked out. It is unlikely that the Ivorian will play again this season.
That will come as a major blow to Mancini, who has been at pains to point out recently how stretched his squad is with City attempting to challenge for both the FA Cup and the Europa League as well as securing a top-four berth in the Premier League.

Ecstacy... Marijuana... LSD... Mescilane... etc etc... Theres plenty out there that can blank you out for a night or atleast make it patchy.

Sigh, you clearly lack knowledge of drugs. VM me if you want to speak to me about the topic. :)

the rules are draconian, with very little leeway for error, and they almost always rule against you. and the advice couldnt be any clearer to players. its probably the one thing they have to be really strict on, sad as it is, unless he's been advised wrongly by the club doctor etc, or its comtamination etc; its on him

the rules are draconian, with very little leeway for error, and they almost always rule against you. and the advice couldnt be any clearer to players. its probably the one thing they have to be really strict on, sad as it is, unless he's been advised worng by the club doctor etc, or its comtamination etc, its on him

very draconian yeah. But like you said, advice couldn't be any clearer. Like I mentioned before, I'm hoping it is contamination and nothing more. But, will have to wait and see.

*Wonders if he is the only City player doing this...* Mancini said they were gonna do EVERYTHING to qualify to Champions League... (6)

Absolutely shocked by this. Of all the players and egos and it's him who fails a test?

I really hope it's a mistake, Kolo Toure is probably the only non-English players I like on Manchester City's team.

I don't think people realise how strict many of the drugs laws for athletes are! Professional cross-country skiers are only allowed a single cup of coffee a day!

I don't think people realise how strict many of the drugs laws for athletes are! Professional cross-country skiers are only allowed a single cup of coffee a day!

holy **** :O that would kill me. only drug I truly love. o god. I've got problems.

But I know what you're talking about. Even the diets are crazy-especially for jockeys. Sometimes things are taken way too far

Last edited:
holy **** :O that would kill me. only drug I truly love. o god. I've got problems

It's a great drug for athletes. I'm currently going to go on perfectly legal and safe Thermogenics stuff, which is essentially 99% caffeine pills. Great for work outs, as they increase motivation, concentration and focus. So you can see why it's banned for professionals.

It's a great drug for athletes. I'm currently going to go on perfectly legal and safe Thermogenics stuff, which is essentially 99% caffeine pills. Great for work outs, as they increase motivation, concentration and focus. So you can see why it's banned for professionals.

Never heard of that stuff before. Can see why it would be banned like you say. Plus caffeine based pills are incredibly addictive I've seen aswell.

Edit-just literally just heard on sports news, that Toure "took" a dietary supplement, but thats yet to be confirmed obviously.

the world is feckin drug mad another reason why footballers an overpaid ****'s ,but in the end he is human an if he has done it oh well you learn by mistake's.

the world is feckin drug mad another reason why footballers an overpaid ****'s ,but in the end he is human an if he has done it oh well you learn by mistake's.

to be fair to him, there's absolutely no indication he has taken performance enchancing stuff, or recreational drugs. Looks more likely medicinal or like was mentioned on sports news, dietary supplements. But as mentioned many times, B sample result is yet to be released.
saying that as mentioned earlier though, some medicines contain steroids

Last edited:
B samples are the crux of the matter (or rather, they are in the only other sport I can relate this to, cycling). If they come out clean, fine, it was a mistake or an anomaly and it should be laid to rest fairly quickly. If not, he has a case to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.