Best Striker

• Henrik Larsson

Votes: 130 80.2%
  • Kris Boyd

Votes: 32 19.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
imo boyd would score goals for what ever club he plays for if its kilmarnock or manchester united

Not true, there isn't room in the modern game at higher levels for a poacher. He might grab a goal or two for Man Utd sure but the team as a result would grab fewer goals in trying to compensate for his place in the team.

Boyd is just a goal scorer. Larsson was much much more.

Pretty much what I wanted to say.

As a Rangers fan I'm chuffed to have a player like Boyd in the team. He's got a poor record in Europe and against Celtic, but he'll be there to score the winner when grinding out a 1-0 win against Motherwell on a wet evening when everyone wants to be somewhere else.

Larsson played for Celtic and ManYoo, but it's hard to not to admire a footballer of his ability despite a questionable choice in clubs. He brings more to a team than Kris Boyd would, therefore he'd be on my team sheet ahead of Boyd.

Imagine them both playing together though...

Not true, there isn't room in the modern game at higher levels for a poacher. He might grab a goal or two for Man Utd sure but the team as a result would grab fewer goals in trying to compensate for his place in the team.

Van Nistelrooy was a poacher and he did well.. Although he was on another level from Boyd I guess..

umm im sorry this is a joke, larsson is one of the best strikers the world has ever seen, he scored for fun in every league and worked his socks off, boyd imo just stands there and waits for the ball, hes a class finisher but thats it

This question is a bit like asking Pele or Dean Windass?

Larsson off course.

everyones spoke of Larsson being a better allround player and boyd is just a poacher bla bla ..

But remeber at the end of the day a STRIKERS main target is to score goals an Kris Boyd has shown he can do this week after week

and also people say boyd would not do well in the EPL. Yes he is a poacher but with the quality of players that would be around him in the EPL he would get so many chances

But remeber at the end of the day a STRIKERS main target is to score goals an Kris Boyd has shown he can do this week after week

Not necessarily.

The false nine is one of two directions in which the centre-forward position seems to be heading (at the highest level – lower down, where control of possession and imagination of approach are necessarily less prioritised, the traditional virtues of being quick or big or predatory are still of value). If he is not refining himself out of existence, he is doing the exact opposite, and imposing himself as a powerful leader of the line and creator of space in the manner of Didier Drogba, Emile Heskey or even Bobby Zamora. Some, such as Dimitar Berbatov and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, combine both styles.

Either way, the situation has emerged whereby a striker's primary function is no longer to score goals, but to create the space for others to do so. Obviously it's advantageous if he can take chances, or even conjure up goals out of nothing, which is what makes Drogba and Fernando Torres so special, but increasingly goals alone are an inadequate measure by which to judge a forward. If the poacher isn't dead yet, he may well be in a decade's time.

Look at Zamora. He is a great team player but doesn't usually smash in the goals. He has been scoring more this season but he generally supplies his team mates with goals. Just because he doesn't score too often, doesn't make someone a bad player.

Not watched much SPL, but I think the standard of players in the league was higher when Larsson played. So I would have to say Larsson, due to playing against better defenders.

Boyd is just a goal scorer. Larsson was much much more.

Pretty much what I wanted to say.

As a Rangers fan I'm chuffed to have a player like Boyd in the team. He's got a poor record in Europe and against Celtic, but he'll be there to score the winner when grinding out a 1-0 win against Motherwell on a wet evening when everyone wants to be somewhere else.

Larsson played for Celtic and ManYoo, but it's hard to not to admire a footballer of his ability despite a questionable choice in clubs. He brings more to a team than Kris Boyd would, therefore he'd be on my team sheet ahead of Boyd.

Imagine them both playing together though...

More or less my thoughts on the matter. Boyd is a lazy moany ****. He is a good poacher and finisher though no doubt about it. Would love to see how he would get on at a higher level playing with better players.

Larsson off course.

I lol'd

Henrik Larsson all day in his prime he was in a class of his own

Not necessarily.

The false nine is one of two directions in which the centre-forward position seems to be heading (at the highest level – lower down, where control of possession and imagination of approach are necessarily less prioritised, the traditional virtues of being quick or big or predatory are still of value). If he is not refining himself out of existence, he is doing the exact opposite, and imposing himself as a powerful leader of the line and creator of space in the manner of Didier Drogba, Emile Heskey or even Bobby Zamora. Some, such as Dimitar Berbatov and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, combine both styles.

Either way, the situation has emerged whereby a striker's primary function is no longer to score goals, but to create the space for others to do so. Obviously it's advantageous if he can take chances, or even conjure up goals out of nothing, which is what makes Drogba and Fernando Torres so special, but increasingly goals alone are an inadequate measure by which to judge a forward. If the poacher isn't dead yet, he may well be in a decade's time.

wow.

Put a poll on the thread?
I'd say Larsson. Boyd has always been better, until Larsson exploded last and this season. |)

Larsson off course.

are you mad? Windass is a class apart from that second-string striker:p

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

oh **** someone beat me to it

wow.

Put a poll on the thread?
I'd say Larsson. Boyd has always been better, until Larsson exploded last and this season. |)
Don't you mean Larsson has always been better? :O

I admire Kris Boyd for the amount of goals he has scored in his career and, at his age, it makes it all the more impressive. However, the standard of defence AND goalkeeping has dipped in the SPL. When Larsson was playing, there was a higher standard of defending and goalkeeping, which made it harder for players to score goals. IMO, Larsson is the better player right now, but Kris Boyd has got time to get even better, maybe bring the attention of one of the big teams in England, then we'll see if he has what it takes to be a great striker.

so why have united signed michael owen?

Larsson, I bet he could score 158 more goals now

Status
Not open for further replies.