L'ascesa del rosanero - a Palermo la storia

Mckergan

Reaction score
The Rise of the Rosanero - A Palermo Story
View attachment 264848
Background

Unione Sportiva Città di Palermo is an Italian football club from Palermo, Sicily, which currently plays in Serie A, the top level of Italian football. Formed in 1900 as Anglo Panormitan Athletic and Football Club, the club had various names before assuming its final form in 1987 and is currently the top-ranked football club from the island of Sicily. During its history, Palermo played in all the professional ranks of Italy, and took part in several Serie A seasons during the 1960s and early 1970s, also ending twice as Coppa Italia runners-up during that period.

Following its return to Serie A in 2004, the club has become one of the most prominent in Italy, also providing four players to the Italian team that won the 2006 FIFA World Cup. It has gained a UEFA Cup place in each of the past three seasons, narrowly missing UEFA Champions League qualification in 2007 and 2010, and losing its third Coppa Italia final in 2011.

The official team colours are pink and black, giving rise to the nickname Rosanero; another less common nickname is aquile, referring to the eagle on both the official club logo and the city of Palermo's coat of arms.

Palermo plays its home games at Stadio Renzo Babera (formerly known as La Favorita) which from 2007 has a capacity of 36,349 people. It was originally built in 1932, but was renovated in the late 1980s and served as a venue for the 1990 FIFA World Cup.

History

• Runners-up (3): 1973–74, 1978–79, 2010-11

• Champions (4): 1931–32, 1947–48, 1967–68, 2003–04
  • Runners-up (1): 1958–59

• Champions (1): 1941–42, 1945–46

• Champions (2): 1992–93, 2000–01
  • Runners-up (3): 1984–85, 1990–91

• Champions (1): 1987–88

• Winners (1): 1990–91

• Winners (1): 1920

• Whitaker Challenge Cup

• Winners (1): 1908

• Winners (3): 1910, 1912, 1913
  • Runners-up (3): 1909, 1911, 1914

Never a winner of the Serie A or domestic competitions whilst in the top league of Italian football, it was time for a new era!

An era of...

Steven Mckergan

View attachment 264849

The former Northern Ireland international has recently declared himself delighted with his new found job, and working in Italy is said to be a bonus for the young and upcoming manager!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the story

Basically have not had the time to continue with my old Arsenal story, but as its been so long i dont feel i could continue writing to that standard any longer! So i have decided to do this one, but in less detailed form.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

Comments/Constructive Criticism and Feedback are all welcome..

Thank you for taking the time to read so far..Plenty more updates to follow..

Last edited:
View attachment 264859
"So where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Of all the questions it is the one i would miss the least, however now, it's one i like to answer with a simple response:

"The top of Serie A"

It was true, I wanted to be right up there, fighting for trophies, this club, has had and still has massive potential, but no-one has done anything with it. My time is now. I will create a legacy at Palermo football club.

Squad Evaluation - Key players

Ezequiel Munoz

View attachment 264858

Guilio Migliaccio

View attachment 264855

Josip Ilicic

View attachment 264857

Abel Hernandez

View attachment 264856

Season Expectations

A difficult one to decide on but with these star players in our squad already and a few more additions in the right positions, I believe we could mount a serious challenge for a Europa league Qualification spot.

It has been released from the club that McKergan will have around 8 Million Euros to do business with, however this is not including players sales.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

gd luck..i have just failed in a palermo save....watch abel hernandez he is quite injury prone...but if u can keep him fit he is a good player

gd luck..i have just failed in a palermo save....watch abel hernandez he is quite injury prone...but if u can keep him fit he is a good player

Thanks mate :) Hopefully i can take them to new heights, never been them before so it'll be a challenge :)

Should have a couple more updates today :D

Thanks for following ;)

View attachment 264982
A new dawn, a new era...

View attachment 264984

"An anonymous source within Palermo football club has today confirmed signings and departures within the Italian club operating out of Sicily"

The transfers, as we understand look like this:

Kara
Centre Back/Defensive Midfielder
Reported fee: 2M Euros
Previous Club: Tromso

View attachment 264988

Ruben Yttergard Jenssen
Centre Midfielder
Reported Fee: 2.5M Euros
Previous Club: Tromso

View attachment 264992

Roysten Drenthe
Left Back/Left Wing
Reported Fee: Free Transfer
Previous Club: None

View attachment 264989

Steven Caulker
Centre Back
Reported Fee: Loan
Previous Club: Tottenham Hotspur

View attachment 264990

Felipe Anderson
Attacking Midfielder
Reported Fee: Loan with option to purchase for 6M Euros
Previous Club: Santos

View attachment 264991

Sime Vrsaljko
Right Back
Reported Fee: 2.5M Euros
Previous Club: Dinamo

View attachment 264993

Elsewhere, it is also reported that there are a number of players on their way out of the club, these include:

Igor Budan for a reported fee of 1.5M Euros to Torino
Massimo Donati on loan to Cagliari for a fee of 750k
Nicolas Bertolo on loan to Basel, also for a fee of 750k with an option to buy for 2.3M Euros

"We'll have more transfer news for you after the break"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

View attachment 264994
Press Conference

View attachment 264995

"It is our deepest regret to inform you that we have had to let Mauro Di Cicco leave the club.

It was brought to our attention in the early stages of last week that there may have been a "mole" in the club leaking information about possible targets we may have been going for this season.

We are deeply aplogetic to our fans, current staff members, and to everyone who cares about the football club as we have lied to you all about a transfer into this club.

Please know that this had to be done in order to prevent any further information being leaked.

The transfer that is NOT true, is, Sime Vrsaljko from Dinamo. This is a transfer story that was made up in order to find the mole leaking information

However, five out of the six transfers that were indeed leaked were true and have been completed, the only one not being true is the signing from Dinamo.

As Mauro Di Cicco was the assistant manager to Steven Mckergan, we have had to act quick, and we have now found a new right hand man for Mr. Mckergan.

That will be all ladies and gentlemen"

Mauro Di Cicco has declined to comment on the matter!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

Last edited:
View attachment 265000
Pre Season

With trips to England, Belgium and Spain ahead it was going to prove to be a tough workout for a team still getting used to a 532 tactic they have never played, and with players joining, it was all about team gelling.

Palermo vs Palermo Reserves
1-0
F.Miccoli

Wigan vs Palermo

1-2
F.Miccoli, G.Prestia

Palermo vs Valencia
1-0
F.Miccoli

RC Mechelen vs Palermo
1-1
J.Ilicic

Oviedo vs Palermo
0-4
A.Mantovani, A.Mehmeti, R.Drenthe, E.Zahavi

Winning four out of five games during pre season is a major plus for any team, it installs confidence throughout the team for the coming season, however, the game against RC Mechelen from Belgium was a major disappointment and was definately one of the weaker teams we played during pre season.

However, pre season is about fitness, and wins are a bonus, coming away with no losses against our name will put us in good stead for the opening day game in the Serie A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

Last edited:
Good start mate, i'll be following. Some quality signings there as well done well for the budget you were given :D

Good start mate, i'll be following. Some quality signings there as well done well for the budget you were given :D

Thanks for the follow mate! Yeh i tried to do as best i could with them and added a little twist with Sime Vrsaljko not joined due to the mole :) Thanks for the feedback anyway..and spread the word :p

View attachment 265156

Now that the transfer window is shut, i thought i would give you a run down of domestic and world transfers in order of money spent.

Domestic Transfers:

Nicolas Gaitan - Benfica to Juventus - 17.25M Euros

Rever - Athletico Mineiro to AC Milan - 15M Euros

Robert Huth - Stoke City to AC Milan - 14.5M Euros

Zdravko Kuzmanovic - Stuttgart to AC Milan - 14.25M Euros

Eugene Konoplyanka - Dnipro to Napoli - 14.25M Euros

Emilio Izaguirre - Celtic to Inter Milan - 9.5M Euros

World Transfers: (Not including those in Serie A)

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar - Schalke to Tottenham Hotspur - 19.25M Euros

Gregory Van Der Weil - Ajax to Tottenham Hotspur - 14.5M Euros

Daniel Braaten - Toulouse FC to Ajax - 11.75M Euros

Moussa Dembele - Fulham to Sevilla - 11.25M Euros

Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy to Porto - 11.25M Euros

John Obi Mikel - Chelsea to PSG - 10.5M Euros

As you can see, domestically AC Milan were very busy in the summer transfer window and did alot of business, but that was to be expected with the departure of Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Elsewhere in the world, Tottenham caught the eye of many fans with two big name signings in Huntelaar and Van Der Wiel, filling the much needed right back spot that has been vacant for so long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

View attachment 265162
September

The opening month of the season was to begin with a tricky away tie against AS Roma followed by Genoa, Sampdoria and Inter Milan.

AS Roma vs Palermo
2-2
De Rossi (O.G) A.Hernandez

Palermo vs Genoa
2-0
F.Miccoli, V.Birsa (O.G)

Sampdoria vs Palermo
1-0

Palermo vs Inter Milan
3-0
E.Munoz, E.Pisano, A.Hernandez

All in all it was a pretty good month, the only disappointment was the result against Sampdoria. However, the main surprise was the final score against Inter Milan. A 3-0 win was the best result we could have hoped for before the start of the game, and it was really a game the media had predicted us to lose.

September League Table

View attachment 265166

Player of the Month

View attachment 265165
Abel Hernandez
4 Apps 2 Goals

-----------------------------------------------

To be continued..

Last edited:
Great stuff so far mate!! Loving the lay out.

Watch out for Drenthe, he's a good player but always reacted badly to my team talks and loved a slide tackle. Caulker is an immense CB too

Great stuff so far mate!! Loving the lay out.

Watch out for Drenthe, he's a good player but always reacted badly to my team talks and loved a slide tackle. Caulker is an immense CB too

Thanks Sam :) Always good to get feedback from fellow story writers :)

In all honesty, i have had no problem with him YET, hopefully it continues that way! Yeh Caulker has been good for me so far, was on a swansea save i did too :)

Thanks again mate!

View attachment 265333
October

October was definately going to be a hard month of fixtures with games away to AC Milan, Juventus and Cheivo who were doing very well in the league. There were also home ties against Torino and Napoli.

Serie A
AC Milan vs Palermo
0-2
F.Miccoli x2

Serie A
Palermo vs Torino
3-0
A.Hernandez, A.Gozzi (O.G), J.Ilicic

Serie A
Juventus vs Palermo
3-0

Serie A
Palermo vs Napoli
3-0
A.Mantovani, F.Miccoli, A.Hernandez

Serie A
Chievo vs Palermo
1-0

The month of October was always going to a very hard month to play through, in saying this, we started very well with wins against AC Milan and Torino, dominating in both games somehow.

Going into the Juventus game however, i expected something from the game, maybe it was because we beat AC Milan away from home, I'm not sure, but we quite simply didn't show up letting Juve's new signing N.Gaitan run the show all day long.

The game after saw us take on Napoli, and i expected the worst after the previous game, however, we prevailed and played the best football i have seen all season.

The Cheivo game, well, that's a different story, played outstandingly well and we still lost, it just proved to me that we do need another striker because we couldn't finish our chances.

October League Table

View attachment 265346

Player of the Month

View attachment 265350
3 Apps 3 Goals

-----------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

View attachment 265397
November

So, November is here and it was to be a..lets say..surprising month. Very much a short month in terms of games with only playing three in total!

Serie A
Palermo vs Bologna
1-1
A.Hernandez

Serie A
Fiorentina vs Palermo
2-2
A.Hernandez x2

Serie A
Palermo vs Parma
5-1
A.Hernandez x2, F.Miccoli x2, R.Y.Jenssen

So as i said, a surprising month all in all. The first two games i generally expected to win them, the first one mainly because i was at home. Bologna got in behind my defence for the first time and punished me by scoring a finely executed finish by Gaston Ramirez.

The Fiorentina game was an evenly contested affair if I'm honest. Both teams had their chances, same amount of possession and Clear Cut Chances so it was a fair result in the end no matter what i thought before it began.

Watched by 19,235 people, the fans got what they wanted in the final game of the month, Goals, and plenty of them. Our biggest result this season and it was a joy to watch, let's hope for many more of these!

November League Table

View attachment 265398

Player of the Month

View attachment 265399
3 Apps 5 Goals

------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

View attachment 265420
December

What seemed like an easy month...definately wasn't.

Serie A
Cagliari vs Palermo
3-1
A.Hernandez

Serie A
Palermo vs Atalanta
2-1
G.Migliaccio, F.Miccoli

Serie A
Pescara vs Palermo
0-3
J.Ilicic, A.Hernandez x2

Serie A
Palermo vs Udinese
2-2
F.Miccoli x2

What i thought would of been an easy month after beating AC Milan etc away from home, i end up losing to Cagliari away in the first game of the month. Hit the woodwork five times in this game, couldn't put our chances away!

Udinese game was totally different, finished off our chances and was 2-0 up going into the 80th minute, forgot to switch to counter attacking once this happened so in essence it was my fault i drew this game 2-2.

December League Table

View attachment 265421

Player of the Month

View attachment 265422
Ruben Yttergard Jenssen
4 Apps 4 Assists

------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..

View attachment 265461
January

A difficult month was ahead especially with hard Serie A and Coppa italia matches.

Serie A
Catania vs Palermo
2-2
A.Hernandez, J.Ilicic

Coppa Italia
Palermo vs Torino
1-0
A.Mehmeti

Serie A
Palermo vs Siena
3-0
A.Hernandez x2, A.Mehmeti

Serie A
Palermo vs Lazio
1-1
A.Hernandez

Coppa Italia
AC Milan vs Palermo
1-0

Serie A
Palermo vs AS Roma
1-1
Felipe Anderson

Generally a very tough month to begin with, however, getting drawn against AC Milan in the Coppa Italia was something we didn't want all along. Needed to avoid the big guns if we were to progress anywhere in this competition.

Still unbeaten in 7 games in Serie A, however, we do need to start winning games instead of drawing them if we are to grab a place in Europe.

January League Table

View attachment 265462

Player of the Month

View attachment 265463
6 Apps 4 Goals

January Transfer Window

The January transfer window came and went for us basically, however we did manage to sign two players to join us at the end of the season on free transfers, these are:

Yaya Sanogo (19)
Striker
View attachment 265464

Davide Astori (25)
Centre Back

View attachment 265465

Two very good transfer for us i believe, both will definately feature next year and Yaya will play a major part at this club!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued..