Le Tour de France

Great sprint by Cav to win the stage today, even with Columbia's messy train.

The good news: Pro Cycling Manager 2010 is supposed to be out this friday (09/07/10).
The bad news: the first patch is ALREADY out before it's been released !

Yep, it was £15.91 on Amazon for a bit before their stock sold out. Luckily I got in quickly! Hopefully today will be good, I'm going to watch it live before the WC final.

cmon nicolas roche live up to your father.

I dont want to be a noob but due to lack of coverage what colours do the team abbrieviated ALM wear.
thanks

Yep, it was £15.91 on Amazon for a bit before their stock sold out. Luckily I got in quickly! Hopefully today will be good, I'm going to watch it live before the WC final.

Out of all the 'GAME' stores on Merseydide ( 6 ), they had just ONE copy between them, which went as soon as soon as the store opwned - that's quite a pathetic effort on Game's part, but it does show the 'esteem' in whitch the sport is held in the UK.

Cmon Andy, today is the day you kill off Contador..

I dont want to be a noob but due to lack of coverage what colours do the team abbrieviated ALM wear.
thanks

ALM are AG2R La Mondiale, and the ride in white with squares of half blue and half brown on.

Well done Andy today, great ride, and also well done Jurgen vdB, 4th overall.

hmm...I watch it sometimes but in truth I cant care about it now,not with the World Cup finals 2 hours away

Cmon Andy, today is the day you kill off Contador..

Nicely predicted! Well not exactly killed off, but it shows Contador can be beaten. Sanchez and Kreuziger also looked sharp, but Evans didn't have much in terms of acceleration. It's a shame Wiggins is gone, but it looks to be a close tour.

Poor Lance - 1 TDF too far

It's what everyone was thinking, but nobody had the guts to tell Lance. Besides, he would have ignored it anyway.

The thing that strikes me about Lance is that he might still be pretty good, but his reactions have been eroded by time. His bike handling used to be so good, he could avoid crashes in a split second, but now he's crashed what, three times in one tour? Nasty, and not what he's used to.

Still, great ride by Schleck. Always liked him, and he's easily Contador's biggest rival.

Also, I've never really wanted to say this before, but does anyone else find Contador's massive improvement at time-trialling a little... odd? I mean, people like Armstrong and Ullrich could TT as well as climb, but they were big, strong riders, and Armstrong in particular was just a physical freak. Contador is a climber, small and light, and he ends up beating Cancellara (one of the best time triallists ever) in a long, technical time trial last year?

Fishy. I don't like to insinuate, but Contador gives off that vibe of a doper. I mean, would you be surprised? There are some people you just can't imagine taking drugs, Voigt, Hushovd for example. But Contador? Hm. Not so sure.

He's had 3 'shutes' on a single STAGE !

Re Contador's TT performances: He's always been decent at this discipline. You can't win the Giro, the Vuelta AND the big one if you can't TT - it's as simple as that. ****, Indurain won his 5 TDF's BECAUSE he was so much better at TT than anybody else. But I agree, in this sport, unfortunately you never know.

Stage winners are automatically dope tested, so let's wait & see.... personally I'd test AT LEAST the top 10 finishers in every stage - just to make sure. A sad state of affairs, no ?

He does come across as a bit 'shifty' doesn't he ? Remember last year how he consistently ignored Astana's team planning in mountain stages & went for personal glory ? Did Lance not like that !

Re Contador's TT performances: He's always been decent at this discipline. You can't win the Giro, the Vuelta AND the big one if you can't TT - it's as simple as that. ****, Indurain won his 5 TDF's BECAUSE he was so much better at TT than anybody else. But I agree, in this sport, unfortunately you never know.

But this is my point: Indurain was a time-trialist, it was his speciality. He was a strong, powerful rider. Contador has always been ALRIGHT at time-trialing, for a light climber, but never good enough to beat Cancellara or Wiggins, for instance.

Stage winners are automatically dope tested, so let's wait & see.... personally I'd test AT LEAST the top 10 finishers in every stage - just to make sure. A sad state of affairs, no ?
Yeah, Lance made this point once. He said it was stupid that, just because he won, the bloke on the top step must be doped to the gills whereas the other two are completely clean.

He does come across as a bit 'shifty' doesn't he ? Remember last year how he consistently ignored Astana's team planning in mountain stages & went for personal glory ? Did Lance not like that !
He's a bit of a *******. Some people you just would never expect to dope: Voigt, Hushovd, Boogerd, Rubiera, Sammy Sanchez, Wiggins... those sort of people. Others you could see were a bit dodgy, Ricco, Bjarne Riis, Valverde, and I could see Cunego doping at some point. And I'd put Contador into that category.

Last edited:
As a side note, I got my Pro Cycling Manager today :)

Contador's TT ability is a bit surprising considering he's a lightweight climber. Look at, for example, how Wiggins's TT ability has decreased since he's lost weight and become more of a climber. Based on that, it's surprising that Contador has a better TT than a pure TTer such as Cancellara.

I've always questioned Lance Armstrong for doping as well. Yeah, I know he hasn't tested positive but I've got my suspicions. It's now known that quite a few of his US Postal team mates doped - Heras, Landis, Beltran, Hamilton and Andreu. So maybe the team was systematically doping? He's had connections with Michele Ferrari too. Lance also didn't release his test results from 10 years ago. I admire the guy, and I'm not saying he has doped, but unfortunately I'm always going to be suspicious.

What a shock by Evans yesterday..

My money is on Fedrigo for today, but Voeckler og Kern might pull it off on the Bastille day.

I've always questioned Lance Armstrong for doping as well. Yeah, I know he hasn't tested positive but I've got my suspicions. It's now known that quite a few of his US Postal team mates doped - Heras, Landis, Beltran, Hamilton and Andreu. So maybe the team was systematically doping? He's had connections with Michele Ferrari too. Lance also didn't release his test results from 10 years ago. I admire the guy, and I'm not saying he has doped, but unfortunately I'm always going to be suspicious.

I think if ever it is proved Lance has doped, I would fall out of love with the sport. For me, he's been the one bit of integrity to hold on to. The french have never liked him bacause he never 'went native' with them - he's always been proud to be american & he's dominated THEIR institution over the years. Maybe that's why he's been the victim of so many 'random' dope tests in the TDF.

I managed to get Pro Cycling Manager 2010 too - didn't notice any new features sadly & not sure I like the new 3D graphics engine. The colours seem a bit washed out. Hopefully it'll grow on me. (H)

Lovely game that it is. :)

If Armstrong dopes, I'm a sombrero. Never even been close to being proved.

Heras was at Liberty Seguros when he was caught: more to the point, under the control of Manolo Saiz, who we know was a serial doper of riders. Landis, again, had left Postal/Discovery at the time. Again, Beltran had left. Hamilton not only had left, but his test was also extremely irregular, and I still believe he was innocent. I don't think you can say the team was systematically doping if none of them were on it when they doped.

Frankie Andreu is a different matter, but I'd rather believe Lance, someone who you can conclusively prove has never doped, rather than an admitted doper. Michele Ferrari, let me remind you, was conclusively acquitted on all counts. The only thing they had against him in the first place was Filippo Simeone, who on all accounts was a colossal ****.

I trust Lance explicitly.

Moving on, good result for Paulinho. God knows what Kiriyenka was doing in the sprint though. If you were to write a handbook on "how to lose a sprint", that'd be the example.