Leeds United - a tactical experiment

What's the reason you want 3 playmakers in midfield? Who are they going to supply?

What's the reason you want 3 playmakers in midfield? Who are they going to supply?

The reason for that is that my best players are 3 midfielders and all are creative players. It was an idea to play them all to their strengths. But this is what i'm quiestioning myself -who they are going to supply? Because I want to retreat my amr/aml into mr/ml spots and make them play like if/ w using PI's due to being generally a little exposed on the flanks even if I use fb with stay wider instruction. So this guys should run forward from the wings, but they won't be enough to really support the lone striker. So someone from central midfield should be a runner and this mean I can't use three playmaker roles.

It's quite hard to setup a balanced system at Leeds due to player roles, PPM's and positions. And lack of concentration, work rate etc. I've tried the counter strategy but we don't really have the speed upfront for it. The only strategy that is a viable option in my opinion for this club at this moment is a standard one - we are really good at nothing so we should try and be decent at all - or something like this.

I'm also not sure about the fluidity - we lack the abillity to take good decisions(structured) but the creativity în the team is spread in all arias and i'm inclined to let them use it ( so fluid).

Just because they're creative, doesn't mean they NEED playmaker roles. You can't just forget about the tactic as a whole - that's a recipe for disaster.

I'm willing to start a new save and try developing a Leeds United Revie style of play, like discussed here:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2016-tactics/351016-don-revie-style-4-4-2-help.html

- the basic shape seems to be a 442
- the mentality seems to be a less aggressive one - they were building in a patient manner , focused on retaining possession , but goals were happening fast when the right opportunity arrived - COUNTER ?
- TI's: retain possession ?, get stuck in , work ball into box , more disciplined ?
- the back line:
GK(D)
FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)
- the front line ( certainly uses a DLF)

AF(A)? DLF(S)

- midfield line : - currently have no idea . Any help?

Any help/ suggestions please ? Any more info?

Thanks

I'm having this issues:

1. I think I should remove "be more disciplined" TI and go for a structured shape instead... to somehow let the opposite team have more space behind my lines and force the counter ... this makes sense? i don't think so but it seem I'm a little to compact now and I don't really invite pressure

2. My AF and WM(A) get frequently caught offside , so I'm wandering it may be that 2 attack duties me to much for a counter mentality? It's this possible? Should the WM be on a support duty ? And I have another crazy idea, that my AF should become a DLF(A) to be a little deeper ?

It seems that every tactic works for only ~3 games.
I almost finished a season in FM Touch and I have to change tactics every three games to keep winning. Nothing works more than 3~5 games. With the same tactic you defeat the first place 5-0 you win another one or two games and than you start by loosing 3-0 with the worst team in the league and then the loosing keeps on no matter what changes you do in game. Only by changing the entire system you start winning again. And this is the cycle you have to restart.
And the goals the opposition scores are really really really stupid most of the time.
And this is not a frustration/rage because it's just a test save in FMT , it's just an observation.

View attachment 205302

If this is not a good tactic I really don't know what to do anymore. If this won't keep me in the first 12 teams in championship I'll give my resignation from football manager.

What would change if the AP (s) would become an AP (A) and the CM (A) an CM (s) ?
GK
WBS CDD CDD FBS
DLPD
APS CMA
IFA IFA
F9S

What would change if the AP (s) would become an AP (A) and the CM (A) an CM (s) ?
What do you mean? The the roles are fairly obvious, so you must mean something else?

How would that change the dinamic of the system? It would be more ofensive or more defensive? I understand that the APA will run more with the ball but how will this change modify the players movement on the pitch?
What I have now CMA/APS is working fine , the AP has passing options and the CMA drifts forward helping the attacking phase but i'm just wondering how it will work viceversa...
Sory for spelling it's on my phone. ..

How would that change the dinamic of the system? It would be more ofensive or more defensive? I understand that the APA will run more with the ball but how will this change modify the players movement on the pitch?
What I have now CMA/APS is working fine , the AP has passing options and the CMA drifts forward helping the attacking phase but i'm just wondering how it will work viceversa...
Sory for spelling it's on my phone. ..
I still don't understand the question? It'll work exactly how you'd expect it to work. CM/S will sit in midfield, supporting play, the AP/A will pick up the ball and run with it, looking for through ball opportunities.

I was simply thinking at what combination will be more suited for my system... and I believe it's the first one CMA/APS because my AP will have more passing options upfront rather than backwards or lateral.

When I started thinking at this tactic I had one tought în my mind: cook will play as an AP and I will develop him as an AP from the start. I will mantain a system where he can play as an AP. And then I started building the other roles and duties around the AP.
So the AP is the most important player în this system and I want to play him to the best of his strenghts.

The system is working fine at the moment but the left IF , where I play Dallas always has the lowest ratings în the team. And I haven't figured yet if it's due to player poor form or it's something I can improve by doing a small tweak or something. ..

The system is working fine at the moment but the left IF , where I play Dallas always has the lowest ratings în the team. And I haven't figured yet if it's due to player poor form or it's something I can improve by doing a small tweak or something. ..
You should be able to see quite clearly if you watch a match. Try watching it for a few minutes in full and see what his involvement is like.

I looks like the CM/A is on the same side as the left IF? So it may be that they're both trying to attack the exact same space in the box.

I've watched at least 15-30 min in full and then on comprehensive. That's a new rule I imposed to myself: first 15 min on full and then on comprehensive. But I'm still not sure what's the problem. .. What do you sugest trying CMs or if s or rmd a instead of if ? Or something else?

I've watched at least 15-30 min in full and then on comprehensive. That's a new rule I imposed to myself: first 15 min on full and then on comprehensive. But I'm still not sure what's the problem. .. What do you sugest trying CMs or if s or rmd a instead of if ? Or something else?
So what did you see when looking at their positioning?

I'll play a few games tonight and I will pay extra atention to those players, the CMA and the IF to see if they step on each other foot. I want to be very sure I have the right answer.

Using Prozone Analysis it seems that was only one game when they were in the same space...
I'm going to watch a match now.