Leicester Kings of Europe (5 year challenge)

View attachment 260083
A very good run of games saw us beat Spurs convincingly. However we crashed out of the FA cup in an embarrassing defeat by Oldham, who had previously knocked out Crystal Palace.

After an unlucky defeat to Man Utd we smashed the Euro cup knock out match and may have cost Chelsea the title as Arsenal took full advantage of their slip up against us to take the top spot.

View attachment 260081

Cristian Tello is on the transfer market at Barca and I'm hoping to add him in the close season, but atm I have nothing left in the kitty. Hopefully he'll still be around!

I cannot believe this!

View attachment 259969

I yelled so loud I woke the missus! We have Man City in the final who we have beaten twice already in the league!

Three goals in the first 16 minutes ended any hope we had of winning the Euro cup but I'm still really happy with our performance.

View attachment 259741

The big highlight of the final part of the season was coming back to beat Everton. We ended the season in 3rd place, easily meeting my goal for this season. However I had a few spats with some key player due to what I can only assume are bugs in the game (James not happy promise of game time not kept but started almost every game!) and I think this was a contributing factor in our season tailing off.

View attachment 259736

I had hoped that securing Champions league football would loosen the purse strings a bit but I've been handed a transfer budget of 7million and a retention of 25%. So my goal of winning the league in season 4 seems impossible but I shall see what the free transfer section can bring me!

Also any feedback would be welcome, so i know to keep posting :)

Great season, keep it up mate. Time for Europe!

My kingdom for a proper transfer budget!! So many players available at current that would boost my squad but I just can't get near them, even if I manage a successful bid the fee's kill the deal. That being said i have managed to snag a few freebies. Once pre-season is over I'll post an update.

Despite my budget restrictions I managed to do some decent business in the market, securing the services of Arjen Robben and Hector Bellerin both on a free, i also added a backup striker that I think has some potential. I blew my transfer budget on Jese as I desperately need a reliable striker to turn my high possession into goals. Surprisingly I was also able to convince the board to bring in Matic to boost my midfield. All in all I am very happy with what i have achieved with just 7mil to work with.

View attachment 259484

I also took this chance to elevate some youth team players into the senior squad. My squad for season 4 looks like this:

View attachment 259482

Pre-season went well and I continued the Leicester City tradition of paying people large amounts of money to be violated by half the squad. However my start to the league is the stuff nightmares are made of and I'll be happy with 12 points in my first 7 games.

View attachment 259481

Also Robben broke his foot in the last game of pre-season. That's one well paid vacation that guy gets to go on. lol.

Last edited:
I felt it was going to be tough for the first part of the season and I wasn't wrong. I compounded the issue by accidentally leaving the team training on fitness for the first game of the season. Moral was low and the only high point was a good start to the group stages of the champions cup which saw the club break it's gate receipts record when hosting Galatasaray.

View attachment 259344

View attachment 259330

Here's hoping I still have a job by my next update :D

View attachment 259329

The poor start to the season has destroyed the moral in my team, i have a queue of squad members outside my office and the press are all over me. We are sitting in 18th and the board have given me a month to sort it out.

View attachment 259204

On a plus we have a kind run of games so if i can build up some momentum we may yet salvage the season, however my season 4 goal of winning the league is completely unfeasible.

Wow.

I think every member of my squad has threatened to leave since my last update, I swear I have never known such a fickle bunch of AI's in my life. Lucky for me I managed to grind out enough results to seemingly save my job. The improved moral is starting to show on the pitch too with much better passing and movement.

We missed out on the next stage of the champions cup on goal difference but at the time I was happy not to have another distraction. Even though we have still struggled against the bigger teams I'm happier that we've played well against them. We now have to play Man Utd 3 times in quick succession, I hope our moral can handle it!

View attachment 259118

I've learned come to learn the benefits of a slower passing game against the larger teams and I'm hopeful the remainder of the season will see us in the top half of the table.

View attachment 259117

A big improvement in results as our moral has begun to pick up, I still suspect we'll lose a few players in the close season but I'm prepared for that.

View attachment 258837

We're through to the semi final of the FA cup and managed to make it to the quarter finals of the Euro cup where we have drawn Man Utd and i fully expect to lose.

View attachment 258836

We are currently sat in 9th place, 19 points off the champions league places but with 2-3 games in hand on those around us. We have a kinder run of fixtures playing Newcastle, Liverpool and Norwich above us, so I'm hoping for a strong finish.

Well I have to say I am very pleased with how the last half of the season played out. We got to the FA cup final where we gave Chelsea a good show, I even managed to bag the manager of the month for the first time ever. The high light for me was a great game against Arsenal where we came back from 3-2 down to win the match.

View attachment 258276

View attachment 258280

Alas our final sally wasn't enough to put us back into the champions league and I fully expect to lose players in the close season. My Season 5 goal of winning the champions league is now impossible so I guess it's game over for this challenge.

View attachment 258275

Note: The board have just given me £42 million to play with, so I'm considering giving myself a 1 year extension. :D

Any suggestions on how to improve my squad would be welcomed.

What a season it has been! They say that you can learn as much from defeat as from success and I would certainly say that’s the case here. I’d like to remind everyone that I never played FM until a few weeks ago so my learning curve has been a bit steeper than most.

I learned that team morale is a massive factor in performance, that there is nothing wrong with playing defensively and grinding out some wins and that your bargain basement signings will often be the most loyal players when the stuff hits the fan.

I’ve also learned a fair bit about tactics, team and personal instructions and how they will influence the game. That weather plays a factor and that your assistant manager might as well be Jon Snow for all he knows.

I have thought long and hard about quitting this challenge, or even starting it again. In the end the fact that I have invested so much time into it and a decent transfer budget means I have decided to give the challenge a 1 year extension.

Season 5
Minimum result – Qualify for Champions cup
Ideal result – Win the Premier League (yeah right)

Season 6
Minimum result – Win the Premier League
Ideal result – Win the Champions cup

During my relatively successful first 3 seasons I feel I fell into a habit of coasting along, I had what I considered to be a solid tactic and a team that was developing nicely and saw little reason to look too closely at things.

That all changed when the fire nation attacked… er.. wait no, I mean during season 4 when a nightmare start to the season saw morale slump and the cracks start to show.

Taking a closer look I realised that my team was starting to show its age. I lacked pace and acceleration across the board and in fact, discovered that my team was considered the slowest in the league!

I was also particularly concerned by my inability to keep a clean sheet. In the second half of the season I took more notice of the matches and noticed that I was frequently being hit in the counter by faster teams with slicker passing.

I soon steadied the ship by reducing the tempo of the play and adapting to a more defensive style of play once ahead against better teams. I rotated between two main tactics designed to exploit the wide areas and the centre of the pitch respectively and I feel that brought me success against formations I have struggled against in the first part of the season. I also felt that playing a DLPM may have caused my attacks to quickly turn into counters when the ball was lost, so i'll be adapting that this season.

It's been a busy closed season so far. Finally having a transfer budget worth talking about and a 100% return on sold players has made a big difference in terms of the calibre of players I'm able to draw in. My core goals have been to strengthen my midfield and my wing backs and sign a backup GK with decent potential for the future.

In addition I've come to believe that my relationship with some of the current players has broken down after a tough season and I'll be looking to replace some of them with players who know what loyalty means. Also one of two of my players simply don’t bring enough to the table to justify their large wage bills, so I’ll be looking to offload them as well.

I'm aiming to have a core playing squad of 20 players, with 5 youngsters as backup. I have a number of kids who look like they could develop well with some first team football and now is the chance to bring them in.

In addition I’m going to try and post monthly updates with more details as this seems to be the popular format here.

Last edited:
As previously mentioned I was very happy to finally have a bit of budget for the transfer window and I feel like I’ve made some good signings. I took a look at my team and decided that I wanted to add a top midfielder, a new WB(R) and a backup striker. I also needed to secure a backup goalkeeper as Ben Hammer was approaching the end of his contract. (Wanted by Chelsea and Man U, where the **** were you guys when he was worth £1mil?)

The transfer and wage budget were set at a highly workable 1.7mil/42mil and I set my season expectations to be Euro Cup qualifications so that I would hopefully not get too much grief if we have a bad run.

As usual a few players reached the end of their contracts and left with a hand shake, a signed card and £100 in Amazon gift vouchers. (It’s a universal law that no matter how highly paid your staff are, when the card comes round they’ll only ever have two quid on them.)

Last season I discovered who the fair weather players were and as a result Jese, Robben and Coentrao were all subject to potential replacement. I also did a review and transfer listed a load of players that simply are not good enough anymore, including Adam Johnson, Vergini, Drinkwater, King and James, although only two of the last three will be permitted to leave.

My first capture was 22yo Adama Traore from Barca for what may prove to be an immense bargain price of £1.2mil! I already have Knockaert and Robben on the right wing but as a young lad I feel I can bring him in slowly and Robbens 100k a week wages means I wouldn’t be signing up to a new mobile phone contract if I was him. (Update, Traore tore his calf in pre-season so he'll be out for 2-3 months)

View attachment 257278

30yo Coentrao's odds of staying at the club took a nose dive after I signed 24 yo Scot Andrew Robertson from Chelsea at the modest sum of £3.5mil. While Robertson is pretty much a like-for-like swap he is on half the wage and I can only hazard a guess that the young Scotsman will be less inclined to moan like an old lady when we get beat by Chelsea and that’s likely to get him some serious game time in the coming weeks.

View attachment 257277

I also noticed that 25 yo Saido Berahino was still at West Brom despite the club struggling in the Championship and barely avoiding relegation last season. A cheeky £3.2mil bid saw me snap him up as a backup player on £26k p/w. I know from prior experience how quick this guy can get off the mark so I’m looking forward to seeing if I can develop him back to his full potential. Could be another bargain!

View attachment 257276

I secured 28yo goal keeper Rafael on a free transfer, there were better options but they all wanted to be a first team player and none of them are going to usurp Khune for at least a couple of seasons so I decided to stay modest and save myself the headache of ‘discussing personal matters’ all ****** season.

29yo Vergini left for Newcastle, his form really picked up last season and even though he was a coning munt I was a little reluctant to see him leave as he was a solid backup CB. With England mainstays Shawcross and Moore as my first choices it was the right move for him. I’ll be using a youngster and the flexible De Laet as cover and my kitty is £2.2mil better off.

Time to spend some real money, after consulting with a few of my peers I decided to bring in 25yo Gil Romero for a fee of £9mil to really boost my midfield. I expect to see his name on the back of quite a few shirts over the next 12 months.

View attachment 257274

As the 2018 World Cup drew to a close I noticed that a player I had previously looked at, 22yo Ruben Neves had won young player of the tournament. I made a cheeky bid and after a bit of negotiation we settled for a fee of £10mil with Arjen Robben going in the other direction. This would effectively work out as a reduction in my wage budget as Robben was taking £100k while Neves will take £86k. Alas it seems that Robben's greed knows no bounds and the deal collapsed at the last minute.

Upset at the loss of Neves I went looking for another player to make a big impact and managed the most unlikely of captures:

View attachment 257273

26yo Isco came in for a fee of £12mil and has already impressed in the pre-season. This is our highest profile signing yet and I fully expect him to become a legend in his time at Leicester!

View attachment 257272

I decided to loan out 22yo WB(R) Bellerin. He has a low rating but I have faith that he can develop given the playing time, alas he will not get that time here at current so I’m going to try and loan him out.

Matic has asked to go to Liverpool and I promised to let him go if they match my valuation. He’s currently valued at £8.5mil with an asking price of £15mil, so we’ll see how that turns out. As of yet there have been no bid. I look forward to him complaining that I somehow used my magic powers to stop Liverpool making an offer.

Going into the opening game of the season this is what my transfers look like:

View attachment 257266

My wage and transfer budget is still healthy enough to allow movement if needed.

It’s not over until it’s over but for now (prior to game week 1) my transfer business is done. My squad currently looks like this:

View attachment 257265

View attachment 257151

Secured some backup for my CB's by way of a loan. This guy is highly rated by Arsenal and my attempts to get an experienced defender that didn't want 100k a week failed.