Leicester Kings of Europe (5 year challenge)

August Update

Leicester City 2 – 1 Aston Villa

View attachment 256893

Not too much to talk about in our first game of the season, we scored early through Boayke who looks just as excited to be playing in the Premier League as he did last season. Late in the 1st​ half we gave away a sloppy penalty which Villa duly converted.

Roberto and Isco caused Villa problems all day and it was no surprise that the win came from their play. A long ball from Roberto saw Isco break through Villa defence with a clear opportunity on goal. With no chance of catching him, the defender cut him down just inside the area. Penalty converted by Roberto.

Shawcross takes MotM and makes TotW.

Fulham 4 – 6 Leicester City

View attachment 256894

Talk about a ‘game of two halves’. I experimented a bit with this one and the results were interesting.

In the first half I played a Control game with a very high tempo. The team attacking play was outstanding! But defensively we still looked slow and Charlie Austin tore us apart on the break time and time again. At the other end Matic was on another level and kept playing some sublime long passes from midfield to create opportunities. As the half came to a close the score stood at 4-4!

In the second half I reduced the tempo to low and changed the style to Attacking. This led to a more patient build up play but saw us look much stronger defensively. We effectively won the 2nd​ half 0-2 resulting in the crazy score line of 4-6.

Matic deservedly took MotM. Matic and Roman make the TotW.

A good start to the season, with players in the TotW both weeks, but still some concerns defensively, next game is Man City at home.

The odds of my letting Matic leave just tanked massively.

View attachment 256881

September Update

Leicester City 2 – 2 Manchester City

View attachment 256892

Not much to say here. A game we were unlucky not to win as for the most part City struggled to create anything. A very tired looking Roberto saw me bring on Matty James in the 2nd​ half who rewarded my faith with a goal. Out of my 3 ‘reserve’ mids James is easily my favourite. Sergio Aguero may be getting on a bit now but Gods he can still move!

Southampton 1 - Leicester City 2

View attachment 256891

We dominated this game with 60% possession but couldn't turn it into goals in the first half. Roman was having a bad day so I swapped him for Coric at half time and the youngster repaid my faith in the 55th minute with a sublime run from the half way line before chipping the keeper to open the scoring. Minutes later he doubled our lead by converting a free kick in the edge of the box. We got sloppy and allowed the saints to claw one back.

Coric gets MotM and TotW.

Leicester City 6 - 1 Dnipro (Euro Cup)

View attachment 256885

Again our possession reached 60% but this time we made it count. The stats show how badly we outclassed Dnipro. I was almost happy for them when they stole one back. (We won't go out on goal difference this year!)

View attachment 256888

Coentrao had probably the best game he has had in a Leicester shirt and easily won PotM. Twice he picked out Boakye after cutting through the Dnipro right back. Berahino opened his account with us from the spot to round off an impressive victory.

Leicester City 3 - 0 Norwich

View attachment 256869

Norwich had a good first ten minutes but Knockaert soon burst their bubble. There was some luck for Norwich after a foul on De Laet gave Leicester a penalty which was missed by Berahino. Berahino had a mare of a game and was replaced at half time by Boakye. We continued to dominate in the second half and added two more goals with possession hitting 62%.

Knockaert PotM. 4 players made TotW.

View attachment 256863

Notts Forest 1 - Leicester City 3

View attachment 256850

I felt a bit unlucky to draw a Premier League team in the 3rd Round of the Capital Cup. I sought to avoid an upset by playing a strong team. It was probably just as well as we struggled to break down a very determined Forest side. Our first goal came from yet another Coentrao cross to the feet of Boayke, I'm starting to think these two may be inseparable.

The downside was an injury to Ryan Shawcross that see's him out for up to 7 weeks. We have Sheff Utd in the fourth round.

Boakye MotM.

In other news, Man Utd won't be knocking me out this year.

View attachment 256849

Swansea 3 - 3 Leicester City

Swansea took an early lead from a well taken corner before Knockaert found the head of Harry Walker 5 minutes later to score an almost mirror image of the Swansea goal. Things heated up in the 2nd half with goals galore. For a time it looked like Swansea might hand us our first defeat of the season but a repeat of the Knockaert/Walker goal salvaged the draw. Again 60% possession and Harry Walker takes MotM, despite my being certain he lost Bony for both his goals!

We go into October in 4th place.

View attachment 256846

Feed back on the new format would be welcome! (H)

Last edited: