pistolped7

Reaction score
attachment.php

Maradona sacked from Argentina job

Argentine football legend and national team coach Diego Maradona has been sacked from his job at the AFA after being found guilty by a court of law for being in posession and distributing coccaine and heroin. The revelations came after Argentina's stunning 6-1 defeat to Bolivia, widely blamed on the difficulty in playing in the high altitude of the Bolivian capital, La Paz. He was caught by an undercover reporter dealing the drugs in the back-streets of Buenos Aires, being 'arrogant enough', as the journalist stated, to stand among the darkest depths of the Buenos Aires underworld and think he is still untouchable. The AFA released a statement shortly after the guilty verdict was read by the judge, a short one simple telling the Argentinian fans that Maradona had been sacked with immediate effect. FIFA are reportedly thinking of fining the former World Cup winner for bringing the game into disrepute. He has been sent to jail for 8 years with no chance of parole, a 'harsh' sentence, says his lawyer.

So, the search now begins for a new manager, and names that have popped up are Maradona's assistant and the 1986 coach, Carlos Bilardo, the centre-back of that WC winning side, Jose Luis Brown and Cesar Luis Menotti, the '78 coach.

Career - Honours and such

Argentina - 2009 - 2011
2010 WC Bronze Medal
2011 Copa America Silver Medal
Resigned August 2011

Brescia - March 2010 - May 2010
Resigned May 2010

Valencia - November 2010 - September 2011
2010-11 UEFA Europa League Winner
Resigned September 2011

Liverpool - October 2011 - December 2012
2011-12 Carling Cup Winner
Resigned December 2012

FC Bayern Munich - December 2012 - August 2013
2012-12 German Bundesliga Winner
2012-13 German Cup Silver Medal
Retired August 2013

Last edited:
I've been reading maradonas book lately and he sings the praises of Menotti so I'm hoping it's him, just for something different! Good luck with this mate, I'll defo be following :)

I can't say who it is yet, I'll update you later...

And thanks, I'm following yours as well, good start on that BTW.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

attachment.php

Bilardo and Brown rubbish Argentina rumours

Carlos Bilardo and Jose Luis Brown have ruled themselves out of the running for the Argentina job, after rumours that one of the pair would be taking the reins of the side. They have decided to leave the national setup altogether, but they have both said they would continue their roles in the national team (assistant manager and coach) if the new boss asked them to. This leaves Cesar Luis Menotti the frontrunner for the job, and is seemingly unopposed. The only possible challenge could come from Estudiantes and River Plate boss, Diego Simeone, who had 106 caps for his national side.

In other news, Chelsea have begun searching for a new manager after Carlo Ancelotti left Stamford Bridge to manage Italy, replacing Marcello Lippi.

Cheers, update coming up soon.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

attachment.php

Menotti rules out Argentine return
csar-luis-menotti-28929.jpg

The man who led the Argentine national side to the 1978 World Cup has ruled out a return to the national fold after the sacking of Diego Maradona. Menotti, 71, was believed to be the front-runner for the job, but he has today stated his intention to remain in retirement. In an exclusive interview with FIFA.com, Menotti had this to say.​

"Obviously, it's very tempting to return to football management after all this time, but I simply cannot say I am tempted enough to dedicate my life to football again. When you are as old as I am, football takes second place. My family, my wellbeing and, above all, my family's wellbeing becomes your priorities. So, while I would have loved to have led my nation again, I simply cannot."​

But Menotti is clear about how the country should be led.​

"Maradona was a publicity stunt, to get the fans onside. It was a joke. The loss to Bolivia was the last straw in my opinion, but even then the AFA were willing to keep him on. Only after the drug scandal did they realise the national side was going backwards."​

"They need a young manager, who has enough experience to know how to lead these players, someone like Diego Simeone. He is the ideal candidate in my opinion."​

He does seem like the favourite now, indeed. He is the only Argentine manager who has expressed any interest in the job, and the AFA have refused to hire a foreigner. But it seems foreigners are the only ones interested. Germany's Bernd Schuster, France's Didier Deschamps ad even former Turkey striker Hakan Suker have shown their desire for the job. So, seemingly unopposed, it looks like Simeone is the man to lead Argentina to the World Cup.​

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

attachment.php

Grondona makes statement on Argentina job

"Simeone will not coach La Albiceleste"

diego_simeone.jpg

The president of the Argentine Football Association, Julio Grondona, has stated that Diego Simeone will not become the national team boss, sources say.

Grondona, 78, has told his colleagues at the AFA that Simeone, who has coached Racing Club, Estudiantes de la Plata and River Plate since retiring from the playing, is not good enough to manage the national side. Our source inside the AFA also tells us that Grondona has met with former national team players, including Claudio Cannigia, Oscar Ruggeri and Fernando Redondo about the job.

Grondona has been the centre of attention in Argentina, ever since the sacking of Diego Maradona three weeks ago. He was the man who stood by him after the defeat to Bolivia, but then suspended him just one day later. He was the one who hired Jose Luis Brown as temporary boss for the games against Colombia and Ecuador, which they won 1-0 and lost 2-0 respectively. He was the one who decided now was the time to hire a new boss. He was the one who decided the boss had to be Argentinian. And now he has decided that Simeone won't be the next boss.

He dropped a bombshell yesterday saying he would announce the new boss tonight, but now everyone in the football world is bewilderded as to who it is. The bookies have Cannigia as the favourite, but even that would be a massive shock.

The question the football world has been asking for three weeks is to be answered in a few hours.

Who will the new Argentina manager be?

Last edited:
This is looking good mate. Argentinia, nice idea :) By the way, if you would like to use kits in your story, I will quite hapily do them. I know you make them and your reall good but I know you have a request thread and just incase you want some kits taken off your hand I will do kits for this story if you want :) If you would like me too just post a request on my thread :)

Thanks, Ross. I like your story too. :D Thanks for the offer, but I'm actually going to keep using the in-game ones until 2012, but I'll definitely come to you then. Would you like to do kits for alternate years (2012, 2016) and I could do ones for WC years? I'd definitely like that. I'll request on your thread whenever I need em. :)

Thanks, Ross. I like your story too. :D Thanks for the offer, but I'm actually going to keep using the in-game ones until 2012, but I'll definitely come to you then. Would you like to do kits for alternate years (2012, 2016) and I could do ones for WC years? I'd definitely like that. I'll request on your thread whenever I need em. :)

Yeah thats fine mate and also any requests that are put on your thread and you have no time to do, just post on mine and I will PM the pics :)

attachment.php

Batistuta unvieled as Argentina manager
Legendary striker takes step into management

Gabriel.Batistuta.jpg

The AFA have unvieled former Inter Milan and Fiorentina hitman Gabriel Batistuta as the manager of the Argentine national side.
Batistuta, the record goalscorer of all time for the national team with 56 goals in 78 caps, was shown off to stunned journalists in Buenos Aires. This comes before Argentina's friendly away to Russia, which will be good preperation for Batistuta's side, who face Brazil afterwards. Batistuta takes over with Argentina 2 points ahead of Colombia in 4th place.

Julio Grondona, the AFA president, had this to say.

"We are delighted to welcome Gabriel to the job, and we wish him well in the job. I'm very pleased that we have stuck to our word and hired an Argentinian manager."

Batistuta said of his selection policy:
"I will call up anyone, even if I've never heard of them. If they are playing well enough at a decent level, then they can expect a call-up. Superstars won't be picked on the basis of their reputations."

Critics say that Batistuta's signing has shown yet another step backwards, another inexperienced boss who has been signed to keep the fans onside. However, Batistuta hit back at these claims.

"I will not stand by and take this. I have worked hard in getting my coaching badges and I believe in myself. I think I can suceed as manager. You will all be sorry you doubted me when I beat Brazil. You'll regret saying I'm too inexperienced. I'll prove you wrong."

So, whether or not Batistuta will be a success, we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and thanks fuelledbypassion and everyone else for the support. I've already finihsed qualifying and I will update later tonight or tomorrow on how it turned out.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

attachment.php

Russia's late equaliser stuns Argentina
Ignashevich header seals Russian comeback

Russia-vs-Azerbaijan.jpg

Russia's first goalscorer, Dinyar Bilayaletidinov, celebrates

Russia sealed a late comeback against visitors Argentina after a goal from Sergei Ignashevich in the 92nd minute.

Argentina were left stunned after the late equaliser, but it had all started so well for La Albiceleste. Russia were on the backfoot after just five minutes, after Man City striker Carlos Tevez scored from 6 yard out after a pass from Andres D'Allesandro ended a spectacular counter-attack. They doubled their lead in the 23rd minute after another great pass from D'Allesandro left Gonzalo Higuain with just the keeper to beat...which he did, and with relative ease.

Gonzalo-Higuain-002.jpg

Gonzalo Higuain celebrates scoring Argentina's sceond

Just before the half came to an end, Everton's Dinyar Bilayaletidinov scored a stuning free-kick from 25 yards out. After a second half which saw Argentina dominate, Argentina again conceded from a set-piece, after Sergei Ignashevich headed home a corner in the 92nd minute.

After the game, Gabriel Batistuta said he was pleased with the result.

"I am pleased with how the players did, they were very impressive and looked like a top class side. Sergio [Aguero, who won man of the match] and Andres [D'Allesandro] were very impressive, creating some great chances and almost getting into it themselves. They can be very pleased with themselves, and I'm glad I took the gamble to call up Andres."

Russian boss Guus Hiddink was less happy at his side, but was glad they got a decent result against a good side.

" I was dissapointed with how the goals we conceded were conceded. Argentina took us apart in the first and second halves, and they embarrassed us for their two goals. I must say, thoguh, I'm glad we got a good result, and we never gave up, so I commend the players for that."

Argentina play Brazil at home next month, in a very important game, not just because of the fact it could make or break Argenitna's campagin, but if they lost to Brazil at home, Gabriel Batistuta's managerial career could end as qucikly as it started.

Russia take on Lichtenstein and Wales next month in their World Cup qualifiers.

Last edited:
Absoloute great twist mate, wasn't expecting the appoitmet of batistuta like! I love that guy used to my favourite player along with crespo! Shame about Russia but I really like this idea :), keep it up!

attachment.php

Argentina brush Brazil aside
Batistuta: "Fantastic result, fantastic performance"

brazil_argentina_.jpg

Brazil express anger at decision to award Argentina a penalty

Argentina turned out a 'fantastic peformance', as described by Gabriel Batistuta, to beat the 5-time world champions and arch-rivals Brazil in their must-win World Cup qualifying match.
La Albiceleste outclassed the visitors from start to finish and were rewarded with a 2-0 victory.

They opened the scoring in the 26th minute after Andres D'Allesandro was brought down in the area and the referee awarded a penalty to Argentina.

Cue pandemonium.

The Brazilians crowded the referee and lambasted him for awarding the 'diver' D'Allesandro a penalty kick. Lionel Messi and Kun Aguero tried to calm them down, and they did...after 5 minutes.

Lionel Messi stepped up to take the kick, and he blasted it into the top corner of the net, sending Inter's Julio Cesar the wrong way.

messiblog.jpg

Messi celebrates scoring the opener from the spot

Argentina doubled their advantage in the 51st minute, when Kun Aguero volleyed homw a perfect cross from his new partner in crime, Andres D'Allesandro.

argentina_gold_medal_final.jpg

Aguero scores to extend the lead

Brazil had chances to equalise late on, but they went begging. The closest they came was when Robinho's header hit the upright after he connected with Elano's cross to the back post.

robinhoAP_450x300.jpg

Robinho's chance goes begging

So Argentina held on to win, and Brazil's manager Dunga shook his opposite number's hand, then left up the tunnel in tears. He didn't have anything to say to the press afterwards, but Batistuta did.

"I don't want to say much, but I'm delighted with the result."

"It was a fantastic result and a fantastic performance."

"I congratulate the players on an incredibly important victory."

However, there was to be some bad news for the Argentinian fans, as Juan Roman Riquelme decided not to make a comeback from international retirement. Batistuta had expressed an interest in bringing the West Ham playmaker back from retirement.

Argentina next play Paraguay on Tuesday, while Brazil host Chile.

Last edited:
Great update, great result! Nice to see messi and aguero scoring. Do you use Veron, out of curiosity?

I have him as a sub, I'll show you my starting 11's vs Russia and Brazil, will just upload them.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

RussiavArgentina.png

ArgentinavBrazil.png

attachment.php

Paraguay leave it late
2 late goals give Paraguay unlikely draw

Paraguay-celebrate-006.jpg

Argentina were left stunned after 2 goals in the last 4 minutes gave Paraguay the unlikeliest of draws.
Goals from Oscar Cardozo in the 90th minute and Jose Salcido in the 94th minute, with literally the last kick of the game, left the visitors shellshocked.

In a very exciting game, Argentina took the lead after 36 minutes, with Gonzalo Higuain sliding home an easy goal from 6 yards out, after a through ball from Kun Aguero, who got another man-of-the-match award, cut the Paraguayan defence apart.

Gonzalo-Higuain-001.jpg

They doubled their advantage when Aguero himself netted after Nicolas Otamendi's long ball from the back was picked up by Javier Mascherano, who slid it through to Aguero, who put it into the bottom corner.

soccer-stars-nickname-11-Sergio-Ag%C3%BCero.jpg

However, things got bad for Argentina in the second half, when in the 61st minute, Lionel Messi was stretchered off through injury. Then, just 14 minutes later, Diego Milito was also injured and hobbled off the field.

In the 90th minute, though, when Benfica's Oscar Cardozo's one-two with Salcido let him throguh to put it past Leo Franco at his near post from just three yards.

Paraguay equalised in the last minute, when Salcido escaped his marker and latched on to Riveros' pass to put it into the net, again at Leo Franco's near post.

ArgentinasGonzaloHiguainGabrielHeinzeAngelDiMariaJavierMascheranoJavierPastoreandNicolasBurdissoreactafterGermanysArneFriedrichJuly32010.jpg

Argentina's manager, Gabriel Batistuta, said he was dissaponted by the way his team finished the match.

"I'm not happy with the last 4 minutes, but I believe that is because of the injurt suffered by Messi, and then Milito, who were both running Paraguay ragged, so they injured them. I'm furious the referee did not penalise the players responsible."

Next month, Argenitna can seal qualification for the World Cup with a win over Pery, after that, they travel to Uruguay.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

nic win against brazil pal !
Cheers mate!