Live - Saturday football

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 130
  • Views Views 6K
Holy ****. What a goal that was.

It rose initially and then just travelled straight without dipping or rising anymore. Incredible. Ronaldinho's reaction says it all.

And what a footballer Pirlo is. The complete package, just better. He invented a role - or at very least, popularised it and made it feasible in a tactical sense - and has remained consistently one of the best players in the world for much of his career. He's had the flexibility to change from something that was dying out (A classic No. 10) into something at the time completely unique, a deep, holding player whose main job wasn't to destroy, rather to use his unsurpassed range of passing and vision to create.

When Pirlo plays, Milan plays. When Pirlo plays, Italy plays. And it has been this way for nearly a decade. you can take your Xavis, your Schweinsteigers. I'm keeping with the daddy of them all, Andrea Pirlo.

Sorry, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to eulogise about one of my favourite players. :P

Van Der Vaart had a exceptional game :'(

spurs have themselves a special player

I enjoyed the Spurs - Villa game. VDV was superb, and they deserved the win ultimately.

On a more claret and blue note, how good was Heskey whilst he was on! Virtually unplayable. We played a really interesting formation, a kind of 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 with Downing working his Teeside-bred little heart out on the left. Ashley Young was again impressive, and deserves an England run-out. Reo-Coker is doing well, happily. Still, our formation and players are gelling well, and Albrighton deserved a goal after his form recently. All in all, fair result, and I'm happy enough with it.

henry's tackle looks worse every time you see it. if gomez hadnt been jumping out the way when he got hit, his leg would have been smashed

I enjoyed the Spurs - Villa game. VDV was superb, and they deserved the win ultimately.

On a more claret and blue note, how good was Heskey whilst he was on! Virtually unplayable. We played a really interesting formation, a kind of 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1 with Downing working his Teeside-bred little heart out on the left. Ashley Young was again impressive, and deserves an England run-out. Reo-Coker is doing well, happily. Still, our formation and players are gelling well, and Albrighton deserved a goal after his form recently. All in all, fair result, and I'm happy enough with it.

I said that Heskey would be rejuvinated as soon as I found out that Houllier was taking charge. He got the best out of him at Liverpool and made him play well week in week out and it shows that you just need to know how to use him.

He said that he told Heskey he believed in him, and he's made Heskey believe in himself which is why he's playing so well now. Something so simple seems to have been so key in getting a players career back on track.

just watching MOTD now and wow Heskey does so well to set up Albrighton.

Anelka won golden boot that year Drogba was out with injurys and club problems?? And Anelka is a changed man you can definatly see it, for once he has settled in at a club and is enjoying his football. I just think with City and Arsenal being stronger than last season and recent seasons i don't think you can drop these points.

Sorry i mean season before, where he was ****. still getting used to this being 10/11 season. but We can afford these points being dropped. It is a very competitive league, where everyone will drop points.

Sorry i mean season before, where he was ****. still getting used to this being 10/11 season. but We can afford these points being dropped. It is a very competitive league, where everyone will drop points.

Yer its obvious teams will drop points i fully accept that but alot was made at the start of the season saying Chelsea have had easy teams who they should beat and then Arsenal and Utd are dropping points they really shouldn't. And also its the performances of Utd that i would worry about not so much the results because like you say Utd usally come good but this season the performances have been so un Man Utd like and we haven't really seen it like this before.

Last edited:
bit worried about lack of aways wins but still unbeaten :). We really need rooney and hargreeves back as nani and berba can't do it on there on. Plus evra needs to start performing as he's been suprsingly poor by his standards. Would also like to see carlos queiroz replace mike phelan

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Yer its obvious teams will drop points i fully accept that but alot was made at the start of the season saying Chelsea have had easy teams who they should beat and then Arsenal and Utd are dropping points they really shouldn't.

I know man utd shouldn't be drawing to teams like bolton and sunderland but still improved on loses against fulhan and everton from the season before but it's only the start of the season so who knows, man utd and fulham could stay unbeaten (6). Also by saying man utd have been performing un man utd like, what do you expect from a team with 2 of there best players out

Last edited:
Yer its obvious teams will drop points i fully accept that but alot was made at the start of the season saying Chelsea have had easy teams who they should beat and then Arsenal and Utd are dropping points they really shouldn't. And also its the performances of Utd that i would worry about not so much the results because like you say Utd usally come good but this season the performances have been so un Man Utd like and we haven't really seen it like this before.

The year we won the double, we didnt win a game for 4 league games at the start of the season.
We had no Rio, An under firing Rooney. Scholes and Giggs are now out, Valencia gone, to be 2nd( maybe 3rd by 2mo) at this stage is actually historically good for utd.

Jordi Gomez is lucky to have jumped over Henrys tackle or he would have been injured horribly. Cant believe there are people on Youtube and Twitter who are claiming Gomez dived, do these people have eyes?

Anyway Man Utd fans it dosnt matter about your form at the moment because tomorrow Liverpool start their title chase :P

Last edited:
bit worried about lack of aways wins but still unbeaten :). We really need rooney and hargreeves back as nani and berba can't do it on there on. Plus evra needs to start performing as he's been suprsingly poor by his standards. Would also like to see carlos queiroz replace mike phelan

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

I know man utd shouldn't be drawing to teams like bolton and sunderland but still improved on loses against fulhan and everton from the season before but it's only the start of the season so who knows, man utd and fulham could stay unbeaten (6)

you never know!! I understand and tottaly agree with you that you have picked 2 more points that what you got last season with draws against Everton and Fulham but that gets cancelled out because you beat Bolton and Sunderland last season so if you want to put it that way at the moment you are 2 points down on last season.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

The year we won the double, we didnt win a game for 4 league games at the start of the season.
We had no Rio, An under firing Rooney. Scholes and Giggs are now out, Valencia gone, to be 2nd( maybe 3rd by 2mo) at this stage is actually historically good for utd.

And in past times i would usally agree with you but Chelsea, Arsenal and City are all better then the past times and Utd will find it tougher to peg them back now days.

And in past times i would usally agree with you but Chelsea, Arsenal and City are all better then the past times and Utd will find it tougher to peg them back now days.

And Utd are in a better position then past seasons. So whats your point, Chelsea squad isnt as good as last year, youve lost some quality players over the summer. llustrated by the lack of lampard in the city game last year. If you still had Ballack,

you never know!! I understand and tottaly agree with you that you have picked 2 more points that what you got last season with draws against Everton and Fulham but that gets cancelled out because you beat Bolton and Sunderland last season so if you want to put it that way at the moment you are 2 points down on last season.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

One thing i wouldn't agree with you there is saying arsenal are better when they are proberbly worse and personally I feel the title will proberbly be decided on the games between the title contenders

And Utd are in a better position then past seasons. So whats your point, Chelsea squad isnt as good as last year, youve lost some quality players over the summer. llustrated by the lack of lampard in the city game last year. If you still had Ballack,

We had Ballack last season and still lost twice against City so im not that concerned about the lack of expeirence because some of the young lads have proven that they could maybie fill in as back-up players for now.

One thing i wouldn't agree with you there is saying arsenal are better when they are proberbly worse and personally I feel the title will proberbly be decided on the games between the title contenders

I definatly think Arsenal are stronger and mainly because of Chamakh, he gives them somthing different a airial threat that they lacked last season.

Although i agree with you that their squad isn't as good (look at the bench/no strength in depth), i think the return of essien and the form of maloudu proberbly makes up for most of it.

Back