• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 83
  • Views Views 5K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Former manager Roy Evans says Liverpool can be serious contenders to win the Premier League crown this season.

More...

no we can't...thats not realistic,we are still too green for that,but we can get 3.-4. place and secure champs league and should concentrate on that this season+ some domestic cup maybe but not league!

Top 4 imo. Which is where they should be

Realistically I dont think we can this season. We can/should get top 4 and that would be real progress from the past 2 seasons.
However only time will tell.

Tomorrows game could change everything.

If by everything you mean it can decide which team will get 3 points, 1 point, or 0 points. Then yes it changes everything.

no we can't...thats not realistic,we are still too green for that,but we can get 3.-4. place and secure champs league and should concentrate on that this season+ some domestic cup maybe but not league!

Why not? Say we win the United match and go on a good run, there's no reason we can't. Obviously top 4 is priority and is the main aim, but if we're there or thereabout come April, there is a chance.

It may be possible.

But to be realistic, and not delusional like most Liverpool fans. No, we won't win it.

At this stage, any team can with the Premier League.

If we managed to score a few more goals, and our defense was a little more solid, sure we could win the title this year, I don't see it happening, but it's possible.

But I personally think our main target should be getting a top 4 finish, if we get anything better then that, it's a bonus.

Still early enough for any team who goes on a good run to be 'contenders'. But I think our aims need to be more realistic.

It may be possible.

But to be realistic, and not delusional like most Liverpool fans. No, we won't win it.

Delusional and optimistic are two totally different things. Not saying we will win it, but it is certainly possible.

Delusional and optimistic are two totally different things. Not saying we will win it, but it is certainly possible.

Many of the Liverpool fans I talk to are saying that we definitely will win the league, and stuff like that. That's why I chose the word delusional.

Don't get ahead of yourselves lads. You're nowhere near good enough, judging by your performances this season, to win the title at the moment.

Don't get ahead of yourselves lads. You're nowhere near good enough, judging by your performances this season, to win the title at the moment.

I have to agree with that statement as the only game we've played really well in this season was the Bolton match. I think our league position is a bit misleading atm as we've no real form to speak of so far. I think a lot more cash will need to be spent before we'll be in a position to win the league which is a pity as I hate the thought of going down the citeh route to win trophies, but given the cash we've already splurged I guess we've already started down that shadey avenue.

Last edited:
I personally can't see us winning the league for 2/3 seasons, as Dobcheev said we'll need a decent amount of cash injected into the club and transfer budget before we'll make a strong challenge, the bottom line is, our squad isn't good enough to compete with United or City over the course of the season, they have the ability to play a completely different team week in, week out and still be favorites to win a game, and they can scrap results out when having a bad game, we can't sadly the majority of the time, hence the amount of draws we've had over the past 2/3 seasons being pretty high.

We need a new Striker, we currently only have Suarez who even has the ability to get beyond 20/25 goals in a season, I doubt Carroll will this season, maybe he'll come close next season, but he needs time to settle into our style of play, I think anyway.

God knows why Evans is saying things like this for. Liverpools aim should be to get back in the top 4 not to win the PL simple as that. Maybe in 2+ years time if they can get back in the top 4 and start competing again on a regular basis then maybe but at the moment in my eyes they arn't that close.

God knows why Evans is saying things like this for. Liverpools aim should be to get back in the top 4 not to win the PL simple as that. Maybe in 2+ years time if they can get back in the top 4 and start competing again on a regular basis then maybe but at the moment in my eyes they arn't that close.

He's said it, because it's possible.

He's said it, because it's possible.

Also he never said serious contenders, he said they could do it, which they could, we never know. BBC added that part

What he actually said: "You have got to believe you can win it. There's no point being in it if you don't think you can win it, certainly at Liverpool's level - that's where you've got to be. You've got to have in your mind that, if you went on a bit of a run, you have got a chance.

We've got to keep progressing. We could do it this year, never write Liverpool off.

There's still plenty of football to go.
Liverpool play Manchester United on Saturday at Anfield and, if we beat them, it will set them back a little bit and give us lots of confidence.

Liverpool are going the right way, they are going forward - and I think it's been a fantastic year under John Henry."

All fair points

Back