Liverpool FC v Cardiff City Discussion Thread

For me it demonstrates too the closing gap between the quality of teams in the Premiership and Championship-as demonstrated by Birmingham City last time.

Cardiff deserve the upmost respect in how they played and look forward to seeing them in the Premiership-they deserve to go up

I disagree, its a cup final so there going to play completely different than a normal league match

Cardiff played well, but the difference in quality between Liverpool and Cardiff is still huge, as you would expect

I disagree, its a cup final so there going to play completely different than a normal league match

Cardiff played well, but the difference in quality between Liverpool and Cardiff is still huge, as you would expect

Have to disagree there. When a newly promoted team goes they don't show the fear they used to have and can at times dispatch the biggest of clubs and Liverpool. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal.......and there's some quality players emerging in the championship aswell.

I retract Man City from biggest clubs btw-error on my part.

And if anyone see's a falling start tonight it's not a falling star-it's Adams shot coming back down

Last edited:
Have to disagree there. When a newly promoted team goes they don't show the fear they used to have and can at times dispatch the biggest of clubs and Liverpool. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal.......and there's some quality players emerging in the championship aswell.
and then that slowly dissipates as the season progresses. Yes lower teams can use the occasion to perhaps match the big teams on a one off match (especially a final) but overall they usually fall away. I would say Cardiff are not Premier League quality yet. They'll do well to win the play offs

and then that slowly dissipates as the season progresses. Yes lower teams can use the occasion to perhaps match the big teams on a one off match (especially a final) but overall they usually fall away. I would say Cardiff are not Premier League quality yet. They'll do well to win the play offs

This.

Although that Adam penalty was laughable, awful attempt haha

Well tbf I think Norwich would disagree lol. The way they've adapted so quickly this season is just amazing-as is being where they are in the table right now.

Or is it a case that the quality in the Premiership is falling? Hard to say

Well tbf I think Norwich would disagree lol. The way they've adapted so quickly this season is just amazing-as is being where they are in the table right now.

As I said usually teams struggle when they come up but Norwich have been great and fair play to them. Wouldn't say that they are only doing as well as they are because of Premier Leauge quality failing, they've played well and deserve to be where they are. But you see lower league teams playing great against the big boys and then failing to replicate it in the league. Leeds are a prime example! (play bravely, just like Cardiff, against Arsenal but lose 1-0 then go to lose to Barnsley 4-1).

As I said usually teams struggle when they come up but Norwich have been great and fair play to them. Wouldn't say that they are only doing as well as they are because of Premier Leauge quality failing, they've played well and deserve to be where they are. But you see lower league teams playing great against the big boys and then failing to replicate it in the league. Leeds are a prime example! (play bravely, just like Cardiff, against Arsenal but lose 1-0 then go to lose to Barnsley 4-1).

Have to admit when MoTD comes on I always look forward to Norwich games tbh. I suppose I'm just basing my assumptions re: other leagues on what I've seen on "that" league programme on the Beeb. Y'know the one that calls itself a football programme....*cough*

Have to admit when MoTD comes on I always look forward to Norwich games tbh. I suppose I'm just basing my assumptions re: other leagues on what I've seen on "that" league programme on the Beeb. Y'know the one that calls itself a football programme....*cough*
Basically from today Cardiff have shown they can play great when its a huge occasion. The real show of quality will be if they can replicate in the league. But they're 6th and, in my opinion, will do well to secure a play off position and then it's almost a lottery for promotion. For me they haven't shown the class they've shown today otherwise they would be higher in the table

Norwich are playing well, as are Swansea and both are probably going to stay up (I think QPR might too tbh)... But you have to think of how many promoted teams can usually just continue that feel good factor. It just depends on how long you can keep that going. Remember Blackpool after half a season? Hull after half a season (somehow managed to stay up then just kept that bad run coming for the next one). Sometimes they call it second season syndrome, remember Marcus Stewart and Ipswich? Or Sunderland on a few different occasions when they were still a yo-yo club.

Great work by Cardiff. On their day, anyone can beat anyone, particularly for the big events, but there is only so long before real quality will show through, hard work can only take you so far. Look at the England national team at every... single.... tournament.

Someone just walked past my window crying in a Cardiff shirt. Felt sorry for him, so I asked him if he wanted a cup of something.

He cried more. I don't know why.

Last edited:
Someone just walked past my window crying in a Cardiff shirt. Felt sorry for him, so I asked him if he wanted a cup of something.

where have I read this before...

Pfft. You'll be playing them in the Championship next season after you get relegated if they're still there. I'd be a bit concerned ;)

good win liverpool but fair play to cardiff even to that last minute goal :)

Pfft. You'll be playing them in the Championship next season after you get relegated if they're still there. I'd be a bit concerned ;)

Sorry, can't hear you over the big pile of cash we have. ;)

What a game!! Fantastic atmosphere inside Wembley by both sets of fans. Says a lot that before the game I fully expected to lose yet leaving at the end was gutted, shows how close we came! Not gutted anymore though just incredibly proud. Of course Liverpool had more of the play, you would expect them too but I thought we defended heroically - although Liverpool are poor at finishing - and used our time on the ball well. Looking forward to the rest of the season now, we had a fantastic run before Christmas who's to say we won't have another one now!

What a game!! Fantastic atmosphere inside Wembley by both sets of fans. Says a lot that before the game I fully expected to lose yet leaving at the end was gutted, shows how close we came! Not gutted anymore though just incredibly proud. Of course Liverpool had more of the play, you would expect them too but I thought we defended heroically - although Liverpool are poor at finishing - and used our time on the ball well. Looking forward to the rest of the season now, we had a fantastic run before Christmas who's to say we won't have another one now!

Not even a Cariff fan but was absolutely gutted they just missed out just on their performance.