Liverpool sack Benitez

they went up to 4th, they sacked him before the game, but he had to take control of it, even though he knew he was leaving. they went up to 4th as you lost to wolves tht same weekend. So effectively he was 4th when hr left. just they felt with all the draws he should of been higher. woerd realy but oh well.

Actually, they were 8th on the 16th december, he was sacked on the 19th and they were then 7th at the time and we beat blackburn 2-0 that day and city won 4-3.

Actually, they were 8th on the 16th december, he was sacked on the 19th and they were then 7th at the time and we beat blackburn 2-0 that day and city won 4-3.

My bad then. i just thought i heard somewhere they where 4th at the time,

anyway similar sacking kinda pointless

So did any of you Pool fans go out and protest tonight?

So did any of you Pool fans go out and protest tonight?

Nope, too short notice for me. I'll be there next week for the SoS meeting. The protests didn't begin tonight and they'll not end tonight.

One bad season and thats it.

Gracias Senor Benitez, for all the memories. I wish you all the best wherever you go.

Tough times ahead for Liverpool. If we largely keep our squad, we should be challenging for 4th.

Liverpool should try and tempt big Eck to leave Birmingham and join Liverpool when he joined Rangers he had no money to spend and dabbled in free transfers he never really got money in all his time at Rangers but done an astounding job.

I don't know ALOT about this situation, but mainly from discussions from other people, Benitez is hardly innocent in terms of lack of money.. he must have been one of the biggest prem spenders over the past few years and although obviously Gillet and Hicks didn't help, neither did he by buying players like Babel, who were overpriced and apparently pretty ****, + he bought Torres in for what? £25m (obviously an incredible signing though) and he wanted to get rid of Benayoun a year or two ago, adding to god knows what they are paying Reina etc. to stay on. With the squad he had he really shouldn't be finishing 7th, that's just not good enough. On the other hand, he won the champions league (admittedly though not with "his own squad") and came a close second in the league to a brilliant United side and has been treated badly. As i say i'm no expert so feel free to tear apart my points calmly and sensibly because i'm not trying to start an argument (A). Also for someone like Benitez, who from reading through this etc. seems to have the majority of support from L'pool fans - there's not really an excuse to sack him for what could be seen as one off season.. I think Roy Hodgson may take over - there's not much more he can do with Fulham and although i'm sure he's fairly loyal i think it will be too tempting to turn down, challenging for top 4 if not 2 or 3.

I don't know ALOT about this situation, but mainly from discussions from other people, Benitez is hardly innocent in terms of lack of money..

Sky Sports News showed some statistics and it stated that he had bought 250 million and sold 150 million worth. Now I don't know about anyone else, but spending 100 million in 6 years isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be, is it?

Maybe not - i hadn't seen those stats - that's very interesting. On the other hand when what? 15m is spent on Ryan ****** Babel, and what about player wages etc. Torres and Reina must've been given huge contracts to stay

I justed wanted to say i feel so sorry for you liverpool fans. when i heard the news i was shell shocked, didnt really know what i felt. Hopefully your club recovers from this.
God you've matured So much! :) I love you man, like Alex does :wub:

Sorry i should have thought it through.
Nah, it was kinda like Hughes, two unreasonable sackings, not because of how good or bad they were, but because of their reputation or how much the board favours them. Mancini failed the task of putting them in the Champions League but he hasn't been sacked, has he?

I don't know ALOT about this situation, but mainly from discussions from other people, Benitez is hardly innocent in terms of lack of money.. he must have been one of the biggest prem spenders over the past few years and although obviously Gillet and Hicks didn't help, neither did he by buying players like Babel, who were overpriced and apparently pretty ****, + he bought Torres in for what? £25m (obviously an incredible signing though) and he wanted to get rid of Benayoun a year or two ago, adding to god knows what they are paying Reina etc. to stay on. With the squad he had he really shouldn't be finishing 7th, that's just not good enough. On the other hand, he won the champions league (admittedly though not with "his own squad") and came a close second in the league to a brilliant United side and has been treated badly. As i say i'm no expert so feel free to tear apart my points calmly and sensibly because i'm not trying to start an argument (A). Also for someone like Benitez, who from reading through this etc. seems to have the majority of support from L'pool fans - there's not really an excuse to sack him for what could be seen as one off season.. I think Roy Hodgson may take over - there's not much more he can do with Fulham and although i'm sure he's fairly loyal i think it will be too tempting to turn down, challenging for top 4 if not 2 or 3.
Babel was £11m and he has done quite well, what about Nani for United? £18m? 1 good season, hardly any goals? And what about Anderson? Bench warmer for £23m? Torres' value has basically tripled and Reina's value has gone up a lot. He had loads of injuries, like weren't you Arsenal fans crying over Van Persie's injury? Saying that was why you didn't win the title? Well, that's only 1 injury, we have had Benayoun, Torres and Gerrard out at the same time. Doesn't help the team spirit when N'Gog misses from 2 yards either ;)

Benitez is hardly innocent in terms of lack of money.. he must have been one of the biggest prem spenders

2004/05 net spend: £16.5m
2005/06 net spend: £12.73m
2006/07 net spend: £17m
2007/08 net spend: £34m
2008/09 net spend: £2.5m
2009/10 net spend: 0

Total Players Bought: £228,976,000
Total Players Sold: £145,100,000

Total Net Spend: £83,876,000

2004/05: Finished 5th - 58 pts
2005/06: Finished 3rd - 82 pts
2006/07: Finished 3rd - 68 pts
2007/08: Finished 4th - 76 pts
2008/09: Finished 2nd - 86 pts
2009/10: Finished 7th - 63 pts

Do some people still want to get rid of him? If so, you’ve been listening to Martin Tyler's Monkey and the hairy-handed halfwit for too much and unable to look at the facts yourself to form an opinion.

Every manager makes tactical mistakes. Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market. Despite what the press seem to think; Rafael Benitez appears to make less mistakes than most.

We’re expected to win the league and European Cup on a budget and wage bill that is entitled to finish 4th or 5th in the league. We’ve been overachieving under Rafael Benitez, not underachieving.

I’m not even going to mention the environment he’s working in under them two clowns.

You’ll only miss him when he’s gone….

Taken from here. Because he puts it into words better than I ever could.

Profit in transfer market was £17.1 million in 09/10.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:41 PM ----------

Another senior player speaking out after Rafa being sacked (from tribal football):

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano says Rafa Benitez would be the ideal man to succeed Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan.

Reports suggest Inter president Massimo Moratti is set to meet Benitez in Sardinia and a deal could be sealed in the next 48 hours.

It will be daunting for someone to step into Mourinho's shoes after the former Chelsea manager steered the Nerazzurri to the Champions League crown before leaving to Real Madrid, but Mascherano believes his former boss has the perfect credentials.

"Only Benitez could take the place of a coach like Mourinho," said the Argentina international. "He is a great coach. He has charisma, personality, a winning mentality.

"Moreover, he will find himself brilliantly in Italy because of the tactical game. Rafa studies everything on the table and directs the team from the bench like a orchestra conductor.

"Inter have made a good choice. After Mourinho, he is the only man capable of continuing Inter's winning run."

Mascherano has spent the past three years at Anfield but contract negotiations have currently been put on hold.

The 25-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Barcelona last summer and admits he could soon leave Liverpool.

"Would I follow Benitez? I don't know," he said with a shrug. "At the moment I really know little about my future.

"But of course with Benitez at Liverpool I experienced three incredible years. His football is my football."

Love that little fella. Going to be sad to see him go :( But no hint of Mash having a problem behind the scenes with Benitez.

Another senior player speaking out after Rafa being sacked (from tribal football):

Love that little fella. Going to be sad to see him go :( But no hint of Mash having a problem behind the scenes with Benitez.

I thought he been wanting to leave fo a while? or is this a new thing?

I gotta say, Sven statement gave me a barrel of laughs.

Sven Goran Eriksson has revealed his desire to manage Liverpool after confirming he is a life-long supporter of the Anfield outfit.

Eriksson told The Sun: "I have been a Liverpool fan all of my life. I never mentioned it when I was in charge of England because I didn't think it was fair.

"Liverpool will always hold a special place in my heart."

Source

His missus wants to leave but he was close to signing a new contract with Benitez here. Benitez being sacked means he's almost certainly gone this summer. Just having a bit of fun with what Purslow's been telling all and sundry about players wanting Rafa gone and that's why he's been sacked mate.

---

Sven's a ****. He's the ultimate in tactical anti-football devoid of even the personal charisma of Mourinho to soften the harsh reality of the hoofball. Think the S*n's just nicking an interview from Swedish press because he ain't no Liverpool supporter if he's been chatting to them - oh wait, he has done exclusives with them. **** of a man.

There's been rumours he's wanted to leave, and was apparently in talks last year with Barca', but i don't think he's announced it or anything. His family can't settle in England, he loves it here, but his family don't :/

Back