Liverpool vs Chelsea 7/11/10

Ride The Walrus

A pretty cool guy.
Reaction score
Liverpool will be looking for their third Premier League win on the trot on Sunday as they welcome league leaders Chelsea to Anfield.
Having beaten Blackburn and scraped past Bolton in their previous outings, the mood around Merseyside has been lifted somewhat ahead of a titanic battle between two teams whose rivalry has not been lessened by the gulf in their fortunes.
Liverpool sit 13 points behind Chelsea after 10 games; closer to the relegation zone than the top spot. However, a win could propel them out of the bottom half and into contention for Europe. A win, though, is a tough ask against a Chelsea juggernaut that has looked unstoppable this season.

Roy Hodgson will welcome back his big guns for this encounter, including skipper Steven Gerrard who was summoned to save his side against Napoli on Thursday. Fernando Torres will also return along with Maxi Rodriguez and Lucas Leiva. Dirk Kuyt could be fit enough to earn a recall, although it is likely to be on the bench if at all.

Chelsea were handed a fitness boost in the form of Florent Malouda’s early return from injury, but Frank Lampard will again be missing as he continues his recuperation from a groin problem. Michael Essien is expected to shake off a minor toe complaint while Yossi Benayoun misses out against his former club after suffering a torn Achilles tendon.
If this battle were to be fought on paper Liverpool would surely be torn to shreds. Roy Hodgson will know that his side are outclassed by their opponents in almost every department and will therefore have to rely on the kind of grit determination and heart shown by Steven Gerrard earlier in the week.

5 years ago Chelsea came to Anfield and left with both points and pride after thrashing us 4-1 in our own back yard. Since then the Blues have continued to go from strength to strength but looking at our own team 5 years on, it is arguable whether we have gone anywhere at all.
With Ancelotti’s side bang in form and Liverpool as vulnerable as they’ve ever been at present there is a real possibility of another embarrassment on home turf in this fixture. The only way this will be avoided is if every single player gives their absolute all from the minute they cross the threshold into battle to the second that the full-time whistle resounds around Anfield.

Thoughts?

Don't see Liverpool getting anything from this despite their recent turn in fortunes.

Even though they have got wins, they've been scrappy and Chelsea have been pretty dominant in every game they've played this season so I see a fairly comfortable Chelsea win.

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea - Drogba, Anelka.

for some reason im more nervous than our trip last season even though that game ment more. I think its because everyone is saying Liverpool have turned a corner and they have won there last 3 games and i think they are un-predictable. Even still i think we will win the game but it is massive that Essien plays because he is one of the only players in the world who can take Gerrard out the game. Our defence has been sensational this season especially JT who has gone un-noticed but has played some of the bese football of his carear. Its not as big as people might make out that Lamps is out as Zhirkov has been our best player for the last 3-4 games so he is confident at the moment. I think we will win the game 1-0 with the goal coming from Nico Anelka.

yeah, i am a supoorter of chelsea hopefully we will get all 3 points.
as Essien in my poinon will be able to manger gerrard
so if we win today i reckon it will knock liverpools confidence rock bottom and maybe have a chance of relagation

for some reason im more nervous than our trip last season even though that game ment more. I think its because everyone is saying Liverpool have turned a corner and they have won there last 3 games and i think they are un-predictable. Even still i think we will win the game but it is massive that Essien plays because he is one of the only players in the world who can take Gerrard out the game. Our defence has been sensational this season especially JT who has gone un-noticed but has played some of the bese football of his carear. Its not as big as people might make out that Lamps is out as Zhirkov has been our best player for the last 3-4 games so he is confident at the moment. I think we will win the game 1-0 with the goal coming from Nico Anelka.

I agree about Essien because do you remember 2 seasons ago at anfied in champions league when we won 3-1 he had Gerrard in his back pocket which helped chelsea alot that game.

I agree about Essien because do you remember 2 seasons ago at anfied in champions league when we won 3-1 he had Gerrard in his back pocket which helped chelsea alot that game.

Yer mate i remember watching a few clashes between the 2 when Essien has played and in all honesty can you remember Gerrard doing anything special against Chelsea???? I remember him scoring at Anfield when we beat them 4-1 i think it was in 2005 and obviously i remember the own goal he scored at the Millenium Stadium in the Carling Cup Final in 2005. But with the defence playing as well as they are i don't think Pool have anyone who can trouble us at all.

Lol, Torres, arguably the best striker in the world, and Gerrard, arguably the best central midfielder in the world, shouldn't trouble your defense? Ha.

Lol, Torres, arguably the best striker in the world, and Gerrard, arguably the best central midfielder in the world, shouldn't trouble your defense? Ha.

Torres isen't half the player he used to be and like i said our defence has been sensational this season. And if you look at what i said about Gerrard, if Essien plays Gerrard will find it hard to make any mark on the game.

Bit protected about your team? Mate the fourm Yury has been on essien will easyily handle gerrard
and Just look how many goals we concedded and our 2 CBS Alex John terrry Both in fourm and a striker that has not be able to touch hes fourm latley

I can actuallty think liverpool can win tommorow for some reason, when i saw it i thought liverpool could win, im going for a 1-0 2 liverpool for some reason but dont know why

Dont think we will get anything out of it if Im honest. A draw if I'm being optimistic.

God if Poulsen plays we're fcked. Konchesky won't be able to handle your wingers, here's to me hoping Aurelio's fit. Hopefully Krygi will play with Carra, and Merieles is always a threat with his passing ability.

Center back Ivanovic is well
Cant stop scoreing + remember in champisons league Ivanovic scored another 2 agenst you, and that was when you was on fourm, look at the poor performance yuo have been putting lately

To be fair they've hardly troubled anyone's defence this season so going on current form why would they trouble chelsea's defence?

A liverpool win probably isn't going to happen but maybe they can get a draw. Hopefully gerrard doesn't set up a chelsea goal this time. ¬_¬

P.s
You'd have a tough time arguing gerrard is better than xavi, iniesta etc. Same with torres going on recent form.

Last edited:
You're judging Torres when he's obviously not fully fit. That's a ridiculous statement.

Bit protected about your team? Mate the fourm Yury has been on essien will easyily handle gerrard
and Just look how many goals we concedded and our 2 CBS Alex John terrry Both in fourm and a striker that has not be able to touch hes fourm latley

Center back Ivanovic is well
Cant stop scoreing + remember in champisons league Ivanovic scored another 2 agenst you, and that was when you was on fourm, look at the poor performance yuo have been putting lately
Poor performances? If anything we've been playing better.

Football dosen't work like that, just because we're doing worse than a few years ago when one thing happened, dosen't mean it HAS to happen again.

Also, how do you know this about Gerrard? Essien may be ****, Gerrard may be **** or anything. Presuming things won't get you anywhere.

And the word's "form"

Poor performances? If anything we've been playing better.

Football dosen't work like that, just because we're doing worse than a few years ago when one thing happened, dosen't mean it HAS to happen again.

Also, how do you know this about Gerrard? Essien may be ****, Gerrard may be **** or anything. Presuming things won't get you anywhere.

And the word's "form"

Yer we will have to wait to see how the game plans out, but if your Gerrard and you know you struggle against Chelsea and especially Essien then its not a good start. Also Essien knows how to play against Stevie G, he can beat him for pace and i also think he is stronger than Gerrard. It will be a good battle i know that much but a good point is made on here that if Konchesky plays then Anelka will have a field day.

Yer we will have to wait to see how the game plans out, but if your Gerrard and you know you struggle against Chelsea and especially Essien then its not a good start. Also Essien knows how to play against Stevie G, he can beat him for pace and i also think he is stronger than Gerrard. It will be a good battle i know that much but a good point is made on here that if Konchesky plays then Anelka will have a field day.

Gerrard's better as an all round player. Listen, Essien's played vs Gerrard on him and him only, about once. Can't judge him on that.

Gerrard doesn't struggle against Chelsea FFS. Or Essien. He's a better player.

Back