Look who is back: "IL Capitano" taking over the Red & Black!

Give this a read guys...

Calcio Debate: 10 Memorable Paolo Maldini Quotes - Goal.com

'Il Capitano' burst onto the Milan scene back in 1985 and it was not long before he starting conquering Calcio and becoming a legend in his own right.

He will bow out after the game against Fiorentina – his 902nd appearance for his beloved side. Maldini won seven Scudetti with Milan, five European Cups, a World Club Cup, two Intercontinental Cups, five European Super Cups, one Coppa Italia and five Italian Super Cups.

With such a flawless list of honours, it's little wonder as to why he is regarded as the best of the best by many of fellow professionals, both past and present.

10: Former Arsenal striker Paul Merson, who was a nightmare for many defenders around the world, admits he used to struggle when facing Maldini.
“The best player I ever played against was Paolo Maldini. We [Arsenal] played against Milan in the European Supercup [in 1995]. Maldini marked me and I didn’t even get a kick of the ball all game. He was just unbelievable,” said Merson.

9: Gianni Rivera, who was banging in the goals for Milan before Maldini was born, feels the Italian defender is the heart and soul of the club.
“Maldini is the symbol of Milan. He brings continuity and he has represented the antique and the modern,” said the former Rossoneri playmaker, known as the Golden Boy of Italian football.

8: Sticking with gold, Roma's Philippe Mexes believes Maldini should have won the Ballon d'Or during his glorious career.
Mexes said, "I give my compliments to him. I'd like to see everyone stand up for him, to applaud him because he is the image of football in Italy and the world. He's never won the Ballon d'Or, but I would give him a hundred."

7: Maldini played alongside many other legends for Italy, including Roberto Baggio and Franco Baresi. Dejan Savicevic, who played with all three at the club, believes the number 3 should have lifted a World Cup.
“I was upset for Paolo, especially in 1994 also with Baggio and Baresi, as they went so close to winning the World Cup. Maldini came so close to it. I also felt for him in Istanbul [2005 Champions League final],” said Savicevic.

6: Savicevic played on the right wing for Milan – a job which David Beckham does now. The English midfielder is honoured to have played with the great man as he heaps praise on him.
"The greatest thing about this experience has been taking part in Maldini's career. He is a great player, a great captain and a great man," said Beckham.
"I had only met him as an opponent before, so it was wonderful working by his side in the final six months of his career.”

5: They may have had their one-to-one battles on the pitch but Maldini and Alessandro Del Piero are great friends off it and this is reflected in the Juve captain's kind words.
“You really are number one. There are great players, and world-class players and then there are those players who go beyond that. Paolo is the perfect example of all of this,” said Pinturicchio.

4: Another world-class player who wears the Rossoneri jersey is Kaka. The Brazilian has written history with Milan since his arrival in 2003, inspired by his captain, naturally.
“I want to write history like Paolo Maldini. He is an example for me he is always the first in everything. He has won everything there is to win.”

3: You are right Kaka, the defender has won plenty, just like Italy coach Marcello Lippi, who knows a great player when he sees one, and he is ready to give Maldini an Italy farewell match.
"I respect Maldini greatly and he is a great player and a great professional," said Lippi.
"He is one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. I have spoken with him over his decision to leave the national squad.
“He told me he was no longer interested in playing for the national team, but I believe an initiative [Azzurri farewell match] of this nature is possible."

2: One Italian legend who played in an Italy farewell match in 2004 is Roberto Baggio. The former Milan star played with Maldini for club and country and he is hoping to work alongside the defender once again.
“I want to tell Paolo that new doors begin to open. I travelled a long way with him for Italy and Milan and I used to observe his seriousness and dedication. He has given everything. Thank you Paolo. I hope I work with him again.”

1: Not many have had the luxury of working alongside Maldini, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is one football great who fits into that category. Nevertheless, the Scot has summed up the Italian defender's qualities best.
"When I think of the current generation, Lionel Messi is top-level,” said Ferguson
"And, although he has never taken my breath away, Kaka has impressed, Zinedine Zidane was brilliant but without a doubt, Paolo Maldini has been my favourite.
"He has a wonderful presence, competitive spirit, athleticism, and although not the world's greatest technically, he has influenced all the Milan teams during his wonderfully successful era."

An influence in every sense, and for all the right reasons. Great words from top men for an even bigger man, and although words are easily forgotten, Maldini will always be remembered...

Ciao Paolo and Grazie!

Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com

can't wait for more updates of this, enjoying it so far :) such a shame as i was going to start a zanetti save with inter milan just today ahhaha but this made me change my mind and I'll just follow yours instead! :)

can't wait for more updates of this, enjoying it so far :) such a shame as i was going to start a zanetti save with inter milan just today ahhaha but this made me change my mind and I'll just follow yours instead! :)

thanks buddy..
try with a quick Inter save, what's the harm?

I was watching these guys at training one day, and reflected on the times I used to play..

So much has changed in football since then...

I was what you'd call a traditional full back, more so, a center back who adapted the left back role for most of his life, and as a result, missed my contributions were all defensive..
Today, that's not the way full backs, or rather, wing backs play.. they are judged not much on their defensive aspects, but rather, their attacking runs, passes, crosses, assists, shots, goals, and so on.. Acceleration and pace, crossing and passing come first, and then it's about marking and tackling, positioning and anticipation and so on..

Right now what I have with me are two young and very talented full backs, De Sciglio and Digne, and both offer immensely in attacks!
I would be a fool to change their style of okay and mould them into what I was like.. times have changed, and we must adapt accordingly..
I'd let them flow with their attacking displays, undoubtedly, but not at the cost of their defensive aspects..
A couple of weeks of rigorous defensive duties in training begins now for them, we would play a few friendly games in the meanwhile, but it's only so that these guys can make the easy transition from defense to attack and attack to defense, also, building up their stamina, strength and fitness would be my prime objective..

We only have the league and the Italian Cup this season, no other commitments, so there wouldn't be the need to rotate a lot, unless necessary..

One piece of bad news is that Montolivo will be out till almost December, and having just took over now, I don't want that to become an excuse in order to change the captain..
Montolivo stays put, and we are working on his recovery..

Our keeper, Lopez has impressed me the most on training so far.. Excellent communication, handling, anticipation, great at one on ones, solid reflexes.. he is definitely in his prime now, and I am grateful for whosoever brought him here..

Shaarawy is an excellent player, he starts out wide, drifts inside, and is a definite PITA for the oppositions! Just what we need.. He is linking well with Munir so far, and Lacazette as well.. Lacazette misses a few chances, but he's working on his finishing.. He will turn an absolute bargain for us, that I am sure..

Rafinha.. I can't find a reason why Barca let him go! He can easily dictate games, and without putting any efforts.. He is a natural, his passing, creativity.. awesome!
Shelvey is hot headed, that's something we need to address.. and the fact he goes on to attempt shots from anywhere.. He is still raw, absolutely.. But time shall prove if he's the right fit for us or not.. So far, him and Rafinha seem to be forming a decent partnership..

Adil Rami is very important and talented, and honestly, I could put him anywhere in the pitch, and he would do a job! He can play in defensive midfield, central midfield, I can even play him in attack, and he'd do what the player should. Absolute professional..
And Balanta is improving.. Alongside Rami, he looks good. One is a no nonsense centre back, and the other likes to run with the ball, try to score at times, hold possession and so on..

I admit it's difficult finding a Baresi these days, but I am happy so far with what I have..

we have till December to judge how we are, and to see if we need any further improvements..

We won't be doing any further deals this summer, no ins, no outs, no deadline day crazy stuff..

And here we are- start of the season.. I wanted to start on a bright note, we had a good pre-season, though we weren't the better team in the last 2 games against quality oppositions- Roma and Juventus..

We were to play Roma again at the start of the season- 3rd game in the league, and aside from that, the rest were very winnable games, at least on paper..

View attachment 220420

A draw against Roma so early, I'd take that..Atalanta result- 1st game in the league, at home, and a draw.. it was disappointing, but we are just shaping up- the new players, environment, manager, and so on..

I am not looking to play a possession based football, but rather, one where our possession counts- attempts, attacks, creativity, and so on.. and it's showing in our displays so far..

View attachment 220419

View attachment 220418

View attachment 220417

View attachment 220416

View attachment 220415

11 points in 5 games, and at 3rd.. still early days, but we are doing fine so far!
View attachment 220414

Rafinha, Shaarawy & Lacazette are doing well so far..
Destro is on loan with us from Roma, and he's doing okay so far...

Shaarawy scored a couple of key goals late into some games, getting us some crucial points!

Next 6 games in the league, and on paper, I would say Napoli & Fiorentina were tougher than the others..
4 away games, and 2 at home..

View attachment 220412

Scoring so late into games is sort of beginning a habit for us! Rafinha is a perfect fit for us, playing amazingly..
View attachment 220411

That's better, easy does it I'd say.. Rafinha again, the best player on the pitch...
View attachment 220410

Thoroughly dominated this game- the number of shots we took, it was fun.. but the conversion rate is not that great yet.. Lacazette on a good run, and we are doing well in the league so far..
View attachment 220409

Ouch! Nocerino on loan at Parma from us!! Look at that! We were the better team, but an unfortunate result this one.. 1st loss in the league for me, and it's definitely a bitter pill to swallow..
View attachment 220408

Toughest game on paper, this one- among the other games.. But a perfect performance and result! Happy with the win and performance...
View attachment 220407

Another defeat in an away game.. Not clinical in front of goal.. Some injuries here and there, and the team still looking to gel...
View attachment 220406

11 games, and we are on course thus far.. Not amazing, but neither bad...
And Juventus have over taken everyone now to lead the table, and I presume that's something not gonna change at season's end!
View attachment 220405

I have tried playing 4-1-2-2-1, 4-2-3-1, 5-2-1-2... It's just that the attacking players aren't clinical enough.. and Shelvey! he blasts the ball off from anywhere, and probably 1-2 out of 10 going on target..
we are working on his discipline and composure..

Montolivo is still approx a month away from full fitness..

Bonaventura hasn't really impressed, and is on a lost of players I'll look to move on in January or the summer..

Adil Rami is a leader at the back.. Balanta is a very good partner alongside..

Rafinha has been outstanding, absolutely.. unfortunately for us, his value is rising, and there's no way we would be able to afford buying him!

Munir has played a few games, and been very average..

Lacazette and Shaarawy are scoring the majority of goals for us.. Menez and Destro are also decent, but I guess Destro might be sent back to Roma due to him not featuring as much..

I have unsuccessfully tried to make Atletico make a bid for Torres... He's on loan till the end of 2015-16 season, and we are paying approx $5m a season to him while he pays for Atletico!
Same thing for Robinho.. what has become of a player who was touted to be the successor to Ronaldo...

Douglas Costa has put in some good performance so far, but I expect a lot more from him..

Speaking to Sviatchenko one day, I asked him if he knew of any young attacking player he could recommend.. He was sure Pione Sisto would make the right fit for us..
A one month scouting duty for my scouts to watch the young lad, with a view to sign him in January if he impresses...

Also, looking at some solid defensive midfielders..
Lucas Leiva is transfer listed by Liverpool, a very moderate fee, but his wage demands are crazy...

Mario Suarez is an option on loan, and I have had my scouts in France recommend Gonalons quite a number of times.. expensive, they say, but should be worth.. January awaits!

Good luck with AC going to be harder without all of the new signings they made. Also highly recommend Gonalons he is quality

Nice work here :) I really like Milan, bring them former glory. Keep it going, I'll follow :)

Good luck with AC going to be harder without all of the new signings they made. Also highly recommend Gonalons he is quality

Gonalons looks quality.. looking to strike a deal.. how to set it financially well, the most important thing.. no money atm though, once in January, might look to sell a couple of players and then probably look to buy him..

Nice work here :) I really like Milan, bring them former glory. Keep it going, I'll follow :)

time and patience, I guess that's what it's gonna take.. still early days though, and challenging Juventus is a big ask nonetheless..

thanks!

We conceded 7 goals in 11 games.. Not bad I thought.. what with a new left back, center back, goal keeper, full backs who are more attacking than defensive.. so I guess we aren't doing bad in the defensive aspect..

16 goals scored in 11.. that's something I'm not convinced with.. I mean really, look at these players- Destro, Shaarawy, Lacazette, Munir, Menez, Costa.. and the goals aren't coming!

I can still cute it being early days, but for how long?
We are approaching a third of the season, and if we don't hit the right gear and accelerate now, we might as well stop dreaming about the CL next season..
There are 3 places in the Serie A for the CL, due to the coefficients, and Juventus are certain to hold one of those slots.. Roma look strong enough to hold on to the next one in my opinion..
It's the third slot we should be aiming for- Inter, Napoli, Sampdoria surprisingly, Lazio have a strong squad as well.. so we are aiming to battle these sides out and book our place..
Not going to be easy if we aren't scoring enough goals..

Defensive solidity has been established somewhat, and I am looking to change the team from a 4-1-2-2-1 to a 4-2-3-1 to give as an attacking edge.. the defensive mid transforming into an attacking one..

Hoping for the best with that, and awaiting January so we can look at our weaknesses and try to improve..

16 goals in those 11 games, and 7 goals conceded.. I decided to alter a few things: remove the Defensive Midfielder and add an Attacking Midfielder, change the roles of a few players, to add creativity and flair in order for us to score some more goals..
The result?
13 goals scored in the next 4 games! Crazy, right?
But at what cost? We conceded 7 goals in these 4 games alone!
7 goals conceded in 11 games :: 7 goals conceded in 4 games (in 2 games, to be precise!)

But the fact remains we won 3 and drew 1.. 10 points out of a possible 12, having played Sampdoria and Lazio in 2 of the 4 games..

View attachment 220332

Costa did pretty well this time, creating a lot of chances for our strikers, and we got the win, the most important thing!
View attachment 220331

Crazy game this one.. there were goals all around, and Lazio just didn't stop despite going 4-1 behind, then 5-2.. they kept searching for ways to equalize, but we ultimately came back with 3 crucial points!
View attachment 220330

And Costa is on a good run now. Lacazette is playing wonderfully well, can't ask for a lot more from the striker, and we are creating better chances having taken off a defensive player..
View attachment 220329

Crazy stuff again.. Sampdoria are playing very well, and they made us run for our money this time.. A close and tight affair, and we were lucky to come away with a point!
View attachment 220328

15 games gone, and we are more or less around where we would have expected to be!
The Sampdoria game was the final game in December, and at the start of January, we face Inter & Juventus in quick succession! We are doing very well at home, but it's our away form that needs to improve..
View attachment 220327

And here is January...
A quick look at the transfers, after which I shall post the games going into January & February..

Paletta, Zapata & Alex barely featured for the team in these months, and I opted to free up those wages, and bring in some transfer money, and that's what happened.. Decent fees for the 3 center backs saw them move on..
Cedric only came in in the summer, and I had sanctioned that deal, but he failed to make the step up, and with De Sciglio playing well, Jean and Sane for cover, Cedric was better sold for the money, than his performances on the pitch..
Matri was on loan at Juve, and they offered to buy him for $5m and a 50% sell on fee.. Not great, but decent!
And lastly, Gago.. I had to let him leave.. He was playing regularly, sort of, but I was looking at an upgrade in the middle of the pitch, and I went to pursue what was needed for us to improve!

View attachment 220326

Mario Suarez came on loan, a decent central midfielder, to provide some cover..
Zaza was available for $13.5m, most of that over a couple of years, and he's here to rotate/provide competition for Lacazette..
Kranevitter is a young central midfielder, a lot of potential, and he has the time to improve now..
Bocchhetti was on loan with us, and not being a regular starter, he's performed well when called upon.. As such, we bid for him, and made his loan move permanent.
Pione Sisto.. he will provide competition to Douglas Costa & Menez etc, be a back up, and add number to our attack.. He's impressed so far, and the $8m spent on him seems like nothing!
We agreed to sign Flanagan on a pre-contract, and whilst I was willing to wait till the end of season to sign him, there was a chance I might need some solid defensive cover in the next few months, and had some spare money to spend, so we bought him immediately instead!
Gonalons! Got the man we needed.. Not cheap, no way, but most of the fee is spread over 48 months, and his wages are very much manageable.. He is a solid player in the middle of the pitch, probably just what we need now!

Flamini was available on a free later on, and it seemed better to have him here, train with the team, play the odd game or so, and he's only on $20k/w.. He'll probably move on in the summer, but for these few months, he'll offer some much needed experience and support!

View attachment 220325

With a few more additions to the team, obviously, there might be some time to adjust, re-shape up, till we get the results ticking!

Edit: The transfer fees paid, ie $169m.. most of that are spread over 24-48 months, and hence, the initial outlay was very nominal- whatever we could afford..
We received about $107m, and most of that was upfront, a very little of that would be coming in the next 12-24 months..

Also, a lot of wages freed, which allowed me to manoeuvre so greatly in the transfer market!

Gonalons, Mario Suarez, and Flamini.. 3 DM/CM's..

The reason? Montolivo got injured once again, and he's missing from action till March/April!

Also, Rafinha took a knock, Bonaventura got injured, and the thing with Gonalons is, he can play DM, CM, and CD as well- we sold 3 CD's this time around, so had to get in at least another player to cover for the same..

good job so far mate! keep up the good work :)

thanks buddy, 1st time playing a save in Italy- the only thing i don't like is the fact that teams are allowed to sign only 2 non-EU players per year! I mean.. like what!!??