Luis Garcia - The New Manager On The Block

Some good results, potential in that side!

This month is a comparatively easy month, if I'm going to make any progress with this team, I need as many points as possible from February. The last 5 games see us play Napoli, Genoa and Juventus, so I can't be needing points from them at the end.

Not to be outdone on signing potential targets, we returned to Colombia to sign yet another bright talent. Asprilla looks like he has the makings of a top quality right back. We have Vrsaljko as our first choice for the time being, but I wouldn't be surprised if Asprilla becomes better in the future. An insanely quick youngster, he needs to work on his attacking a bit, but we can look at that in detail on his arrival in the summer.

View attachment 252942
View attachment 252940

Before I put the next installment up, I just want to say thanks to all the viewers of this tale. We've gone over 10k now, and it means a **** of a lot that people are reading and enjoying the story. I'm still fully immersed in this, and I hope you'll join me in continuing Luis Garcia's journey.

After the Spezia game, the month rattled on fairly quickly. With 3 games to play, we kicked off that run with a trip to Atalanta..

View attachment 252869

The stats suggest that Atalanta deserved to win. They couldn't be more wrong. Our two goal lead was more than deserved, and up until the point Jansen got sent off, we were coasting. It was a stupid red card to concede, and the penalty was also pretty ridiculous. At that point, we parked the bus, and got on with defending. We escaped with the 3 points, and overtook the team above us.

Onwards we went, and next up was a home match against Sassuolo, one of the surprise packages of the season so far.

View attachment 252868

They caught us offguard with an early goal, but Cornelius ran the show in the second half. Valero's yellow put him out the next match through suspension, and there was yet again an unconvincing performance from Basanta at the back. No matter though, as the points are ours. Doesn't matter how you get them as long as you do.

We finished up with Chievo. This match was the one that frustrated me the most.

View attachment 252867

We dominated the match, no doubt about it. Albertazzi gave us the lead with a superb header, powering it into the far corner. Unfortunately Pato, leading the line in the absence of an unfit Cornelius, couldn't finish a plethora of chances. Chievo made us pay for that with a fluky shot which hit the back of the net late on. Slightly demoralising perhaps, but we do finish the month unbeaten, so that is significant progress.

View attachment 252866
We finish the month in 12th, but it could have been 10th. There isn't much between us and the lower top half of the table though, so I'm not going to get too upset about lost points for now. The more important thing to note is the 13 point gap we've established over the drop zone. Without the spectre of relegation looming over us, the club can look at bigger and brighter things.

View attachment 252843

Very little to be played this March, with an international break at the end of the month breaking things up a bit. Cagliari is definitely winnable, but Roma and Sampdoria are set to be difficult prospects. The reality is that we need to make sure that we stay in touch with the top half of the table. We should have easier fixtures next month, but the more points we gain here the better.

Just caught up with this and **** I hate annoying boards. I hope Fiore supports you, things already seem to be going better

Just caught up with this and **** I hate annoying boards. I hope Fiore supports you, things already seem to be going better

So far so good! Sods law does dictate though that I will get a new board that hates me soon though.

Before I call it quits for the night, I want to hear what you guys want to see. I'm going to start to make a more gradual move to the story side of things, in a similar fashion to Enrico Pucci and Jelavic, as it is my preferred style when I have the time.

However, I want to know what you, the reader, want to see in your story. Call it a thankyou for all the views, I'm giving something back. Stick a comment in the box, and I'll see what I can do.

Would love to see you go more story orientated, especially because I know that you are a fantastic writer & would give those other 2 a run for their money! ;)

I always hated youth graduate day. I knew from bitter experience that some kids wouldn't make it. Since I became a manager, that only got more difficult, as I was the one breaking young kids hearts. I sighed, and turned to the files on my desk.

We were playing Cagliari later that day, but as it was a home game, I didn't have to come in too early to deal with the youth files. I'd looked at it carefully over the last couple of days, complete with Eduardo Macia's reports. I trusted Eduardo, we went back to my days at Anfield, where he was a scout at the time. Today I had to make a decision though, so I could get the contracts submitted in line with the regulations.

View attachment 252624

I picked up the folder marked with a large red dot first. This was the profile of Giovanni Galli, an up and coming centre attacking midfielder who hailed from Catania. The red dot signified he was the best of the bunch. From the video footage I'd seen, I wasn't going to disagree too much. He looked pretty handy, but was also more than prepared to put in a shift. He did need to work more as a team player, and there were concerns about his inability to use his left foot, but that could be trained, raw talent couldn't. He went straight to the yes pile.

View attachment 252627

This carried on for a while, as I sorted between yes and no. I looked up. The clock was drifting towards twelve, which meant I needed to go meet the first team. I left a note for Eduardo to finish off and left the room, fully focused on the kickoff in three hours time.

Sure I'd like that, just don't feel pressured though, write as you would like.

It's your story, write your way but I was almost in love with how you worked your Lincoln story so would love to see that come out again with Luis Garcia.

Come 3pm, and I'd forgotten all about the youth players. I was in the zone now, fully focused on the league game. Cagliari, much like us, were floating around in mid-table. The difference was that we were underachieving, they were overachieving.

Having used a 4-5-1 formation in recent games, I was pretty happy that the players knew the system now. My scouting team had told me that would be the most effective to Cagliari as well. For once, I ignored them though. We were the home team, we should be on the attack. As such, we lined up in a 4-2-3-1 shape. As I watched the players tense, ready for the whistle, I mused over my team selection.

Vrsaljko and Cornelius had both returned for us today. Neither were showing any signs of being affected by a move to a new team, and had been consistent for us. Illicic plays in the hole behind the striker.

View attachment 252354

The match was poor. We had chances, we didn't take them, we got punished. Pretty much sums it up. I ripped the defenders to shreds at the end; their poor concentration cost us a needed three points. The only bright spark was the debut of Sinisterra, and based on the effort levels of some of our more senior professionals today, we may be seeing more of him this season.

Firstly, happy birthday Luis!

Secondly, once Luis returns from his hangover, we have an interesting two games to examine. Stay tuned!

I looked at the clock. The digital numbers showed back the unpleasant sight of 03.00. I sighed and rolled over. I'd been awake for longer than I could remember. Only twelve hours ago, I'd been on the touchline. Fiorentina vs Sampdoria. A big game for us.

Having said that, it shouldn't have been that big. We had created the pressure on ourselves. We had the 1-1 draw with Cagliari. We then had to go to Rome. Naturally, we lost. The fans had really got on our backs for that one. The 4-2 defeat was pretty shocking, but it was the performance that really rankled the Viola faithful.

View attachment 250576

I shuddered. I'd seen some of the comments directed towards my players after that. To their credit, they had used the words as inspiration. Didn't stop me cancelling a meet and greet with the fans though. I needed all my players in one piece, and the fans in Italy were incredibly fickle at times.

Fast forward to 9 hours ago though, and the supporters were completely satisfied. We'd thumped top end of the table Sampdoria. Cornelius had put on a superb display; there was no stopping him out there. As we left the stadium, there was a rising crescendo of noise as my name rang out everywhere. I smiled and waved. Two or three children walked up to me, and asked for autographs on their programmes. I obliged, and went ahead with the obligatory "selfie" as well. For a bystander walking into that sea of purple, you would assume I could do no wrong.

View attachment 250575

Lose our game with Torino in a couple of weeks though, and the proverbial knives would be out yet again. Italy could yet end up being the death of my career if I wasn't careful.

Last edited:
Much of the pre-match talk was about the Viola going up against two of their former players; Guiseppe Rossi and Alberto Aquilani.I'll be honest, it all bemused me. They'd been there a while before I joined the club, and left shortly after I got here. As such, I hadn't really formed an attachment to either player.

Khouma Babacar would also be up against us. I didn't release him though, so the press didn't care. Same went for Matias Vecino. Fickle nature of the press, I decided. The same press that would turn on me if I wasn't careful in the next press conference. I grabbed my bottle of water, and took a deep swig. I proceeded to straighten my tie, and shuffled around as I waited for my cue.

I hated press conferences. I'd often send Russo, my assistant, to them where I could, but a memo arrived on my desk that morning from the chairman, stating in no uncertain terms, "Get your **** into that press room. Remember who pays your wages!" Little harsh, but I took the point. Going to this one would appease him for a while.

"And now, the manager, Luis Garcia". My cue. Wonderful.

The first thing I noticed was the glare of the cameras. I'd had this when I joined the club for the obligatory conference, but I was too excited to care. Now I was under pressure for results, and the media were an unnecessary distraction.

"Luis, long time no see! We thought you'd gone AWOL". The press room chuckled. Dario Santarelli had a reputation for being a joker. I'd have appreciated it if it wasn't at my expense.

"Many things to do, not a lot of time to see you guys I'm afraid", I countered. "I've got to make sure the lads are ready for their next game."

"So you're under pressure then, the rumours are true?" That was Sergio Longhi, well known for being a devious so and so.

"I'm a football manager, we're all under pressure. Next stupid question?". If eyes could shoot daggers, I would resemble a porcupine the way Longhi was looking at me. I smirked.

"Worried about your ex-players?" Santarelli again.

"Not at all. Granted, they are talented, but we've bought in much better. I mean, have you seen Ntep? The way he runs, it's like he has a jet engine strapped to each foot!" Cue more laughter. " But seriously, whilst I respect the job that each of the four players did for this club, both on the pitch and off it, they wouldn't have fit into the system I use. It was fairer to let them seek fortune elsewhere."

That seemed to appease the masses. They asked me a few more questions, specifically about Aquilani's link to Liverpool and mine. It was a bit tedious in honesty, I don't understand how managers tolerate it. We finished with Longhi again. He was still seething from earlier, so I was on guard for a zinger of a question. Boy did I get it.

"Luis, a word if you may about your managerial history". I nodded my assent. "You resigned at Sporting, you resigned at Malaga, you resigned at Rennes. You've won one trohpy, been relegated once, and abandoned a club just out of administration. How can you imagine that you should command respect from better managers, when all you've done is basically failed and run away?"

I stood up, and slammed my fist on the table. The microphone in front of me fell, bouncing off the table and smashing into the floor, creating some terrible static noise. My composed nature was gone, and the competitive side of me was in full effect.

" HOW DARE YOU!", I roared. "Do you actually know what happened at those clubs, you snivelling piece of..." Fortunately for the assembled masses, the microphone caused static noise again, drowning out an incredible stream of expletives. " For the record, at all of those clubs, I have been undermined, or blocked at every turn. Even Jose sodding Mourinho would have run far, far away from those clubs! I stabilised Sporting in mid-table, I won Rennes a trophy and got them into Europe. I even managed to save Malaga some small amount of dignity."

I paused for breath, then continued. "But you wouldn't know this, would you. You are the lowest of the low, the gutter press. Some of the guys in this room have built reputations on high class reporting, and then there is you. Who incidentally, has just got your newspaper banned from any Fiorentina event or news statement. Explain that to your employers."

With that, I stormed out the room, to stunned silence. I suspected that that may not be the last I would hear of that particular incident.