Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Thanks mate, glad to see you back! Are you going to be writing again soon?

Yeah I'm going to finish off my last story then start a new one, already got an idea in mind :)

I've missed this story as it's one of my favourites on here, so good to catch up :)

Yeah I'm going to finish off my last story then start a new one, already got an idea in mind :)

I've missed this story as it's one of my favourites on here, so good to catch up :)

Great to hear, can't wait for your new story!

And I really appreciate that, I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 6 - Mjällby (Away)

We play Mjällby today, should be another straight forward win.

In the 5th minute a great pass from Quintero set Jovic up for a first time shot, but it was straight at the keeper.

In the 6th Santos tried to find Thauvin, but a defender stuck his leg out and deflected it back towards his keeper. Jovic exploded towards it and beat the keeper there, firing us into the lead.

The Serbian should have had a second in the 17th when he ran onto Quintero’s killer ball, but the keeper managed to get a hand behind his effort and push it away.

In the 28th minute Quintero swung in a corner, Milosevic headed it down and Jovic ran in from the edge of the box to smash it into the net.

Things took a turn for the worse when Gustafson went down injured in the 34th. Kardum was his replacement.

In the 51st minute we conceded our first league goal of the campaign, with Coly scoring a close range effort after the ball was bombed into our box.

In the 54th we restored our 2 goal cushion as Thauvin chipped a ball out for Bengtsson, the full back volleyed a cross back in, and Quintero leapt to head it home.

KBH replaced Quintero in the 63rd, prompting a reshuffle of the attacking midfield strata.

In the 73rd minute Linnes put in a dangerous cross which Jovic leapt up to head at goal….and was pulled back down by the defender - penalty! With the chance to seal his hat trick, the Serbian stepped up and kicked it straight at the keeper.

Molins replaced Thauvin, who’d taken a knock, though not an indicated one, in the 77th minute.

Quintero had an excellent game, as did Milosevic, and Jovic received man of the match, although he should have done better with his penalty, and should have had a hat trick. Mjällby did well, becoming the first team to score against us in the league this season, after 6 fixtures. Jovic has 12 goals in 10 appearances, 7 in 5 in the league.

POM: Luka Jovic (8.9, 2G, 0A)

Flying as always! How long does it take before a player is classed as home grown in Sweden?

Flying as always! How long does it take before a player is classed as home grown in Sweden?

3 years between 15 and 21 like all the European countries, not sure how long to gain nationality though. All the young guys I brought in should become homegrown once they've been here three years, which is good :)

Swedish Cup - Semi Final - Gefle (Away)

Gefle are our semi final opponents. A rotated side takes the field, with Sixten Mohlin continuing in his role as Cup goalkeeper. Hopefully they can get the job done against a team that just thrashed Brommapojkarna 5-0 in the league.

Eriksson should have opened the scoring in the 3rd minute but his header from Molins’ cross hit the inside of the post and bounced clear.

In the 10th minute he made no mistake though, finishing off Neri’s excellent pass.

Forsberg scored a beauty of a half volley in the 18th minute, from an exceptionally sharp angle after Tinnerholm had crossed the ball.

He had an easier chance 3 minutes later after Eriksson played him through one on one, but he missed the target completely.

Neri found Molins in behind the defence in the 42nd minute, but he too contrived to shoot the wrong side of the post.

Kardum was flourishing in his natural AMC role - his half time stats: 56 passes, 50 completed, including no less than 10 key passes!

In the 53rd minute Gefle launched an attack, and a low cross was volleyed beautifully, but Mohlin acrobatically tipped it over the bar!

Molins got on the board in the 59th minute, converting Ricardinho’s low cross from just a couple of yards out at the back post, the Brazilian fullback having been set free by Kardum, who was pulling all the strings.

In the 61st minute Tinnerholm played a square pass across the box and Eriksson’s shot was saved at full stretch by the keeper, before being cleared off the line.

Delahaye and Petkovic replaced Eriksson and Forsberg in the 62nd.

Ricardinho’s cross in the 63rd minute found Molins who hit the keeper, before Delahaye’s followup had the same result, and was cleared for a throw in.

Biro-Biro threw to Tinnerholm on the right edge of the box, who passed back up to Molins near the top right corner of the box. Molins squared inside for Neri, who took a touch and struck the most beautiful shot from the edge of the area, straight as an arrow, into the top left corner! An absolutely gorgeous goal - it was still rising when it bulged the roof of the net!

In the 71st minute an appalling pass from Mohlin went straight to their striker, but he shot high from 30-odd yards with the goal gaping.

Santos replaced Molins in the 73rd and swapped wings with Petkovic.

In the 78th minute Delahaye was on his way forward with the ball before a slide tackle from behind knocked the ball away. It rolled straight into the path of Santos, whose effort was tipped onto the post by the keeper, but the Brazilian slid the rebound into the net.

In the 86th minute Tinnerholm’s cross was volleyed straight at the keeper by Delahaye, and Petkovic’s followup was blocked.

In the 87th Santos found Kardum in the box but his shot was tipped behind as a defender managed to get a foot in just in time.

The corner was cleared straight upfield, and Kardum chased it down. He passed diagonally forward to his right for Delahaye, who chipped the ball to his left for Petkovic just outside the box, who sent a volley whistling extremely narrowly over the bar.

In the 90th minute with Kardum receiving treatment on the sidelines, Neri sent a lovely raking pass through for Santos, who turned the ball inside for Delahaye, who shot straight at the keeper.

Complete and utter domination today. Neri and Kardum, my two young playmakers, were absolutely outstanding, totally controlling the midfield, Kardum with 13 key passes and Neri with 8! The former also completed 9 dribbles, and was unlucky not to pick up any assists, but nonetheless finished with a well deserved match rating of 9. Neri’s spectacular goal was the highlight, and the youngster fully deserved his Man of the Match award. Everyone else played very well today, and I felt it was because of the performance of these two that they were able to do so. Very promising for the future! This also puts us into the final of the Cup for the second straight year, and there is no reason not to be confident of retaining the trophy. Mind you, our opponents in last years final, IFK, will be there again this year, having thrashed Elfsborg 5-0 in their own backyard! They were aided by a 27th minute red card but were 2-0 up at the time, and have made a great start in the league too, so I’m looking forward to some close matches against them this year - I hope!

POM: Gianluca Neri (9.3, 1G, 1A)

3 years between 15 and 21 like all the European countries, not sure how long to gain nationality though. All the young guys I brought in should become homegrown once they've been here three years, which is good :)

Shouldnt be much longer for HG status then, Possible they could eventually declare for NT team too! Would you take over Swedish NT if it came up?

Shouldnt be much longer for HG status then, Possible they could eventually declare for NT team too! Would you take over Swedish NT if it came up?

Yep that's what I'm hoping for! Particularly in the case of players like Neri who may never make their national team as there will be better players from their country, as well as the fact they're playing in a low rep league so won't get noticed as easily.

I would definitely take over the national team if I could :) Kardum would become Sweden's youngest debutant ;)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 7 - Ljungskile (Home)

Ljungskile were predicted to finish bottom of the Swedish Premier Division this season, but have won 4 and drawn 1 of their first 6 fixtures, and find themselves flying high in 4th place. I’m still expecting to win. Elfsborg edged Häcken 1-0 on the road in the round’s biggest fixture.

In the 29th minute Ljungskile swung a free kick into our box and stupidly, Crisetig pulled the shirt of a player - penalty. Bruhn kicked it almost straight at KSG, but the keeper didn’t move, and it hit the back of the net.

We found ourselves down 1-0 at half time as our attack just wasn’t clicking.

Kardum and KBH replaced Crisetig and Jovic in the 55th minute.

Petkovic replaced Thauvin in the 65th.

In the 75th minute Quintero found KBH alone at the penalty spot, but the Korean’s effort was saved, and he had been offside anyway.

An 80th minute Ljungskile free kick pinballed around the box, before a shot was tipped onto the post by KSG in a very lucky escape for us!

In the 90th minute Bengtsson’s cross found KBH six yards out, and the Korean beat the keeper with his header - but not the crossbar!

It’s hard to believe that we lost a match where we had 64% possession and 25 shots to just 2, but we managed it! Credit to Ljungskile, their defence was good and we didn’t create many quality chances, but there is no doubt that we threw this one away. The fact that their keeper got man of the match is proof enough of that. Disappointing stuff. Quintero was the one player who could hold his head high, looking dangerous with 6 key passes.

POM: Alex Horwath (Ljungskile - 8.2, 0 goals conceded)

Best Malmö Player: Juan Fernando Quintero (7.4, 0G, 0A)

Tough break there mate - I'm sure you'll bounce back though!!

Swedish Premier Division - Game 8 - Jönköpings Södra (Home)

We play Jönköpings Södra today. Helander is suspended, KBH starts up top, and Kardum replaces Gustafson in central midfield. Hopefully we can bounce back with a win today before the Swedish Cup Final in 4 days time.

Things started awfully though, with Thauvin forced off by injury in the 8th minute. His replacement was Petkovic, who swapped wings with Santos.

A brilliant long ball from Quintero released Petkovic on the counter in the 14th minute, but the young winger hit the outside of the side netting.

In the 25th minute Quintero picked up the ball just outside the top right corner of the box and weaved his way between two defenders, one of whom was forced to stick out a leg and bring him down. The Colombian stepped up and buried the penalty.

A Linnes cross in the 35th minute was cleared only as far as Santos near the edge of the box, and he slammed it into the post.

A 41st minute corner was cleared back towards Quintero but picked up by Bengtsson, and there followed a brilliant passing sequence. Bengtsson to Quintero, to Santos, who dribbled away from the goal towards the sideline, then backheeled to Quintero who ran past him. Quintero then turned and passed back to Santos, who had run back towards the goal, and the Brazilian threaded the ball to Romagnoli inside the 6 yard box, who turned and drilled it along the ground inside the far post. If you followed that description, well done! :P

In the 45th minute Crisetig scored his first Malmö goal with a great header from Quintero’s corner.

In the 47th minute Bengtsson crossed and it was headed clear to Quintero on the edge of the box, who passed to Petkovic. The youngster had no less than 5 players closing on him, and he chose not to shoot, instead squaring to KBH, who rifled the ball into the top right corner.

Bengtsson became our second casualty when he picked up a knock in the 60th minute, and was replaced by Blomqvist, Romagnoli moving to left back to accommodate him.

An unnecessarily hard tackle from behind on Quintero in the 68th minute saw a player receive a second yellow card.

Neri replaced the brilliant Colombian in the 74th, and swapped with Kardum.

We blocked a couple of close range efforts in the 89th minute, in the visitors’ best attack of the match.

In the second minute of stoppage time Neri passed to Santos, who blazed over the bar from inside the area.

We returned to winning ways in style. Romagnoli scooped the POM award, but I felt it should have gone to Quintero, with a goal and assist for his 9.0 rating. Just about everyone played well though, and the only worry is Thauvin’s injury.

POM: Damián Romagnoli (9.0, 1G, 0A)

Back