An extraordinary dearth of home grown players at the club means I have to leave out four players from the Champions League squad. Pereyra and Coman were obvious choices to miss out, whilst Douglas Costa and particularly Alderweireld were much tougher decisions. Fortunately, there was no squad mutiny (yet)!

Speaking of Douglas Costa, if anyone hasn't seen what he did to Hector Bellerin today, then get onto it. Smoothest move ever!

Serie A - Game 2 - Genoa (Away)

A few changes but not many as we take on Genoa three days later. Genoa deploy a remarkably offensive formation, so this game promises goals.

Genoa had the first real chance in the 10th minute, with Buffon standing tall to make a good save.

It was Joakim Kardum who opened the scoring though, swivelling in the 22nd minute to loft a delightful shot into the top right corner.

Just two minutes later he had another crack from distance, and the ball struck the join of the woodwork in the top right corner, before striking the unfortunate goalkeeper Perrin and rebounding back into the net.

In the 32nd minute Pogba played a beautiful lob into the box, which found Santos’ run. The keeper looked to have closed him down, but with a piece of skill that would have made Ronaldinho proud, Santos sidestepped him with consummate ease for an easy tap in to the centre of the goal.

Genoa countered from a corner in the 35th minute, but Eder fired high with only Buffon to beat.

Tevez played Santos in in the 39th minute, but Perrin got across to tip his effort around the post.

In the 53rd minute Corchia’s cross found Santos at the back post for an acrobatic volley, which came straight back at him off Perrin, and he volleyed home at the second attempt.

In the 69th minute Tevez had no excuse for missing the point blank volley provided by Corchia’s cross, though Perrin deserves credit for getting in the way.

Pedro, Santon and Coman replaced Fierro, Romagnoli and Kardum respectively in the 73rd minute.

I’m not entirely sure how Genoa’s 85th minute goal wasn’t offside, but after Alderweireld cleared the ball to half way, and it was sent straight back into the box, two Genoa men were standing there with not a Juventus player in sight, and Buffon was beaten by Improta’s header.

Another very comfortable win, which is kind of depressing really. Santos, Kardum, Pogba, Romagnoli - they’re all a class above. Coman’s appearance off the bench was apparently his debut.

POM: Santos (9.2, 2G, 0A)

Would you believe that Lichsteiner is homesick?? I mean, he’s only been in Italy for 10 years. Anyway, he wasn’t interested in a leave of absence, he wants a permanent move.

It would have been nice to know 3 days ago, when the transfer window was still open. Should have sold this bloke instead of Cacares apparently. I ended up giving him a leave of absence anyway, saw the option when I went to transfer list him. Maybe it will bring him around?

Yeah, cause Turin is so far from Switzerland. The man could take the night train and literally be home eating his mum's homemade rolls the next morning... :p

Yeah, cause Turin is so far from Switzerland. The man could take the night train and literally be home eating his mum's homemade rolls the next morning... :p

I know right! Can't quite believe it myself :p