Man City 'close' to Kaka signing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 3K
I cant see it, look at Chelsea, its taken then ahwile just to get in a serious position to challenge and they appear to be slipping already and it doesnt look like theirs going to be any further invest in the team anytime soon.

Also AJW I would say it was the EPL as a whole thats infalted prices, its just such a rich league. Celtic are a massive club fan wise, tradition etc but we cant compete with Wigan, Fulham etc in signing players, even stoke, hull etc have more spending power that us.

Yeah it is in part, what with Sky and everything. I was just stressing in that post that Utd weren't all at fault.

i hope that man city buy ronaldo:) because if they did,fergie would make the best team ever...but that would never happen.

Well for one we're more likely to accept a bid from Madrid for him....plus I don't think he'd have the balls to do it...I know he can be arrogant but there's a high chance he'd get lynched if he did that.

A very good point about your local lads in the 90s, top credit for that. But the thing is, it's not like City are ignoring our youth setup. I mean, our current squad this season has Richards, Onuoha, Johnson, Ireland, SWP and Sturridge who all play an important part. Even though we've got bigger resources now, the owner himself has said we'll always maintain a positive stance on the academy- he released a statement to the fans not long ago, where he said there was a concise plan of how he wanted it to work, the planned first XI would be something along the lines of

- 4 to 5 youth academy graduates/local lads (Richards, Ireland, Sturridge, Johnson, SWP)

-5 to 6 solid Internationals (Zabaleta, Kompany, Bridge, Petrov, Elano)

-A sprinking of 'world class' talent to compliment the team and boost the club's profile (Robinho, Kaka)

When you put it in that context, it doesn't make it look quite as bad as people are reporting. I certainly don't see us being the 'destroyers of football' as certain pundits have suggested.

Yeah that's true, and players like Ireland and Sturridge clearly have talent. The thing is though, if City carry on not getting results, its probably the youths and the set-up that will suffer first if players are to be bought at whatever price. Although I suppose he could be players inherited like Elano, Petrov etc.

Plus, a manager like Hughes-who to be fair to the owners looks like he has the backing for now-will give those lads a chance, along with the stars; but whats to say if results go bad then might a foreign boss with a big rep might be brought in who is given an open cheque book?? If that happens-which is an understandable thought given the nature of these rich owners (despite what he might have said previously)-then prices will get hyped up again, with less long-term planning or concern for a youth set-up. I think the fees mentioned for Kaka give people reason to believe that that could be the case.

They say no manager/player is bigger than the club but SAF is the exception to the rule. No way would he let Cron go to City or anyone in the EPL as he has much more influence than even the money hungry Glazers

Yeah that's true, and players like Ireland and Sturridge clearly have talent. The thing is though, if City carry on not getting results, its probably the youths and the set-up that will suffer first if players are to be bought at whatever price. Although I suppose he could be players inherited like Elano, Petrov etc.

Plus, a manager like Hughes-who to be fair to the owners looks like he has the backing for now-will give those lads a chance, along with the stars; but whats to say if results go bad then might a foreign boss with a big rep might be brought in who is given an open cheque book?? If that happens-which is an understandable thought given the nature of these rich owners (despite what he might have said previously)-then prices will get hyped up again, with less long-term planning or concern for a youth set-up. I think the fees mentioned for Kaka give people reason to believe that that could be the case.

Good points mate.

I think the owner might be more patient than people give him credit for- there are some really trigger-happy chairmen out there who might have sacked Hughes after losing to west brom to leave us in the bottom three, or after being knocked out of the cup by Forest, but I think he's got a long term strategy and will stick with it.

He's a businessman himself, a very successful one, so he'll know that patience breeds results. We've had more managers than hot dinners at City without any degree of success, so I'd say he's looked at that and thought long term was the way forward.

Hughes hasn't done particularly well, and I personally would rather Sven not to have been sacked, but while he's here he has my support and I'm sure the support of the guys in suits too.

As for breaking the plan, it's impossible to tell at this stage- I'm going to believe him for now though because despite his money he seems genuine, he seems to have a smart head on his shoulders.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an interesting few weeks.

I'm just looking forward to who they bring in the summer transfer window, I think they'll bring in a big bunch of stars.
And to the comment from the guy earlier about Alves, he certinely was'nt worth that amount of money especially after seeing him on saturday

I'm just looking forward to who they bring in the summer transfer window, I think they'll bring in a big bunch of stars.
And to the comment from the guy earlier about Alves, he certinely was'nt worth that amount of money especially after seeing him on saturday

The first time I saw Alves in the flesh was up at the riverside in November when you beat us 2-0 (Middlesbrough on a Tuesday night in winter- freeeeezing) and even though he scored a penalty on the night he was shocking- really, really lazy. Maybe he and Elano can join forces and make a new team- lardarse FC!

Exactly I was at the game on saturday and someone played a ball through to him he started getting his jog on and was fairly close to the ball, then just stopped and let it go out for a goal kick :| He also can't header, I don't see much of Elano but he is fairly class on FM :P

Exactly I was at the game on saturday and someone played a ball through to him he started getting his jog on and was fairly close to the ball, then just stopped and let it go out for a goal kick :| He also can't header, I don't see much of Elano but he is fairly class on FM :P

Thing with Elano, is when he's in the mood he's absolutely brilliant- see his 40 yarder against Newcastle (that one's for you!) or some of his through balls, but half the time he just couldn't give a toss and walks about with his hands in the air- he should look at Ireland. Never gives up, covers every blade of grass, tackles, shoots, scores, assists, does something positive in EVERY game.

Alves has the potential, he's a great finisher, he just needs a boot up the backside from someone.

Cracking free kick that like, I rate Ireland highly just wish he was actually English lol :(

Cracking free kick that like, I rate Ireland highly just wish he was actually English lol :(

Not just you mate, if he was English we'd be sorted. An outrageous claim now it might be, but I can see him being better than Fat Fwank in the next 3-4 years. He's got the potential to be one of the greats.

I bet Irish people are going mental, he won't play for them...

...but I suppose they do have Andy Reid and Glenn Whelan ;)

Back