Rafael - Clyne
DC:
Vidic - Jones - Evans - Smalling - Ferdinand
MC:
Carrick - Fellaini - Cleverley - Florenzi - Lucas Romero - Giggs
AMC:
Mata - Kagawa - Januzaj
AML:
Nani - Januzaj - Welbeck (retraining as IF)
AMR:
Valencia - Hofmann (Loan)
ST:
Rooney - Volland - Welbeck - Hernandez

I play a 4231 with wingers or a 4321 with 3 central attacking midfielders.

I like to think I've got a good balance across the team to fit the two tactics that I play and rotational line-ups.

IN:
Shaw (11m + Ashley Young - Southampton)
Clyne (12m - Southampton)
Florenzi (11m - Roma)
Lucas Romero (4.9m - Velez)
Hofmann (Loan - Dortmund)
Volland (12.75m release clause - Hoffenheim)
Obiang (3.5m and loaned back for the season - Sampdoria)
Pugliese (Free - Atalanta)
Andrija Zivkovic (Free - Partizan)

Missed out on Alberto Cerri and Verratti this time round :S. EVENTUALLY Volland decided to speak to me :D.

OUT:
Lindegaard (3m - Schalke)
Amos (Loan - Watford)
Keane (Loan - Wolves)
Lingard (Loan - Leicester)
Young (In part-exchange for Shaw)
RVP (35m and 10m over 48 months - Chelsea) (I know right! (H))

I'm still trying to sell Hernandez, hopefully for 17m-22m. A few teams have recently become interested with a week to go in the transfer window. If not I'll loan him out and sell him in the future.

Ferdinand and Giggs will leave at the end of the season, Giggs will stay on as a coach.

I also might consider selling Cleverley at the end of the season to concentrate on Nick Powell's progression.

Fletcher will go when he's recovered (3-4 months) and Anderson will go when he returns.

I'm hoping that Vidic may decide that he would consider signing a new contract, if not I'll have to replace him when he goes - Most likely a big name. Keen to get Evans playing too.

The majority of my U21s/reserves have been sent out on loan. I keep all under 18s in the U18s regardless of level (apart from first team level players like Januzaj and Shaw) and they remain unavailable for loan until they are over 18.

Completely reshuffled my staff. Majority of the staff left on mutual consent and I brought all my own staff in, monitoring wages extremely carefully.

Roughly half way through the transfer window, I spoke to the board and they gave me 26m extra transfer funds! I was also running at 70% of my transfer revenue.

Any advice, let me know! Thanks!

So the game crashed and I had to start again! :S
IN:
Shaw (11m + Ashley Young - Southampton)
Clyne (12m - Southampton)
Florenzi (11m - Roma)
Lucas Romero (4.9m - Velez)
Hofmann (Loan - Dortmund)
Volland (12.75m release clause - Hoffenheim)
Obiang (3.5m and loaned back for the season - Sampdoria)
Pugliese (Free - Atalanta)
Andrija Zivkovic (Free - Partizan)

Missed out on Alberto Cerri and Verratti this time round :S. EVENTUALLY Volland decided to speak to me :D.

OUT:
Lindegaard (3m - Schalke)
Amos (Loan - Watford)
Keane (Loan - Wolves)
Lingard (Loan - Leicester)
Young (In part-exchange for Shaw)
RVP (35m and 10m over 48 months - Chelsea) (I know right! (H))

I'm still trying to sell Hernandez, hopefully for 17m-22m. A few teams have recently become interested with a week to go in the transfer window. If not I'll loan him out and sell him in the future.

btw are you still with 14.3 and first season right?
how can u get Pugliese free? iam really envy to you
and i get Shaw for 12.5 + Cleverley + Young :(

i want to sell rooney because to many amc (mata,januzaj,kagawa) i play 4231
and iam confuse about RVP, since my main striker is Hernandez as Poacher
btw in my game Barca bid Hernandez for 22

btw are you still with 14.3 and first season right?
how can u get Pugliese free?

Yeah still in 14.3. He's available on an approach to sign? Think it's like 700k-800k compensation. You may have to get him early on though, I'd imagine Atalanta will want him to sign a new contract. Real Madrid, Juventus and Monaco all wanted him when I approached to sign him too. So I just offered him an extra 2k a week to make sure I got him.

i want to sell rooney because to many amc (mata,januzaj,kagawa)

I am playing Rooney up front with Januzaj, Mata and Kagawa behind him. Or I'll play him up front with Mata behind, Nani/Januzaj left wing and Valencia right wing. All depends on whether I play wide players or not.

iam confuse about RVP, since my main striker is Hernandez

A lot of people told me to keep RVP because obviously he is really good. But he's 29, 30 soon, on a lot of money, physical stats are already decreasing and 45million is a decent amount of money! Especially as they initially offered 28million and I managed to get the fee up another 17million.

btw in my game Barca bid Hernandez for 22

Chelsea wanted Hernandez first for 20million. It was either 20million for Hernandez or 45million for RVP as they couldn't afford both. Barcelona became interested but thought 20million was too much. I then offered him for 18million but they still said it was too much. A few other clubs have just become interested though, so I'll see what happens. He is good but I have Rooney, Volland and Welbeck already. Angelo Henriquez will be back at the end of the season as well.

A lot of people told me to keep RVP because obviously he is really good. But he's 29, 30 soon, on a lot of money, physical stats are already decreasing and 45million is a decent amount of money! Especially as they initially offered 28million and I managed to get the fee up another 17million.

then i want to make RVP go to, but how you can manage to sale him at 45? in my save after i offer RVP only Barca n Chelsea who interest, but only Barca make a bid for 30 and no negotiate, can u give me advise?

then i want to make RVP go to, but how you can manage to sale him at 45? in my save after i offer RVP only Barca n Chelsea who interest, but only Barca make a bid for 30 and no negotiate, can u give me advise?

I offered him out originally for 50million on the first day of the game. This is so Chelsea hadn't spent any of their money. They initially bid 20million and 8 million over 48 months. Then I just slowly brought down my 50million offer down a million at a time.

They kept rejecting it until I offered 46million. they offered 28million and 18million over 48 months. So I pushed them for 30 million and 16million over 48months but they wouldn't budge. So I took a million off the asking price and got 35million and 10 million over 48 months!

It's like the extra million off tempted them and tricked them into accepting!

Update 3:

Coming to the end of the transfer window now.

Played 3, won 3 and 3 clean sheets!

Still struggling to get rid of Hernandez! No one is interested! :(

Update 3:

Coming to the end of the transfer window now.

Played 3, won 3 and 3 clean sheets!

If you offered him first day you can sell him 20m no bother.(done it on 2 different games)

This is my team so far:

GK:
De Gea - Johnstone
DL:
Evra - Shaw
DR:
Rafael - Clyne
DC:
Vidic - Jones - Evans - Smalling - Ferdinand
MC:
Carrick - Fellaini - Cleverley - Florenzi - Lucas Romero - Giggs
AMC:
Mata - Kagawa - Januzaj
AML:
Nani - Januzaj - Welbeck (retraining as IF)
AMR:
Valencia - Hofmann (Loan)
ST:
Rooney - Volland - Welbeck - Hernandez

That's a quality squad! I am on year 4 (2016-17) of a Man Utd save and I had similar decisions to make in the first transfer window. I started with a narrow formation, so got rid of a few players right off the bat: Hernandez to Arsenal for 30m (offered him on the first day of the transfer window) and Valencia to PSG for 24m. I brought in Luke Shaw (24m), Adam Campbell (5.75m, he's developing nicely as a poacher), and a MUST BUY in Eder Alvarez Balanta as a CB (6.5m from River...MUST BUY, I'd strongly encourage finding him ASAP and buying him at any price). Balanta and Jones are the best defensive duo in Europe now, although Jones is also my best DM and Evans/Smalling are pretty good CB backups.

The next summer (2014), out went Ashley Young (Arsenal again for 13m), Tom Cleverley (27.5m to PSG), Anderson (2.1m to Swansea), and in came Gotoku Sakai (LB/RB for 14.75m from Stuttgart...a really quality backup/first team player, very versatile, and also sells a lot of shirts in Japan), and Gabriel Barbosa (3.8m from Santos, and is now my primary striker after Rooney got injured and never recovered...Barbosa is very good!).

The year after that (2015), out went RVP (Tottenham for 19m) and Nani (PSG for 41.5m), and in came Erik Lamela (44m, but currently my leading goalscorer and leads the league in player rating). If I had it to do again, I'd get rid of RVP earlier (he was injured much of his last year) and Nani earlier (so inconsistent...his Decisions attribute is terrible!).

TL;DR: BUY BALANTA TO REPLACE VIDIC. He is immediately better than Evans/Smalling/Ferdinand. If you need a left back, look into Jonathan Silva (develops very well in my save). If you need a future striker, look into Gabriel Barbosa (Henriquez never develops for me, for some reason).

If you offered him first day you can sell him 20m no bother.(done it on 2 different games)

I had two options. Chelsea either wanted Hernandez for 21million or RVP for 45million. As RVP's value would only decline, I went for that offer as Chelsea wouldn't be able to afford both.

Hernandez to Arsenal for 30m (offered him on the first day of the transfer window) and Valencia to PSG for 24m. I brought in Luke Shaw (24m), Adam Campbell (5.75m, he's developing nicely as a poacher)

I'm on the 14.3 update, so a lot of these players move for different prices or in Adam Campbell's case, is already out on loan in the first season.

and a MUST BUY in Eder Alvarez Balanta as a CB (6.5m from River... MUST BUY, I'd strongly encourage finding him ASAP and buying him at any price)

He's extremely injury prone on mine, so I went against it. Interested in Varane, Umtiti and Mangala.

Gabriel Barbosa (3.8m from Santos, and is now my primary striker

He's my current target, as long as Hernandez leaves. I'll then have a strike force of Rooney, Volland, Welbeck, Barbosa and Henriquez.

UPDATE!

So transfer deadline day has been and gone.

Atletico Madrid came in for Hernandez on loan with a agreed future fee of 20million, should the decide to buy him. Came in for him with 2 minutes to spare! If they decide not to go ahead with a permanent deal, they're paying 100% of his wages and he's a key player, so hopefully his value could possibly rise as well.

Unfortunately, As Hernandez left on loan, there were no funds to go an get Gabriel Barbosa. Going to go back in for him in January, trusting he doesn't suffer from a re-occurring injury or drop dramatically, attribute wise lol.

I've got a good depth to the squad with plenty of cover across all positions. EVERY U21s player is out on loan. Half of the U18s are also out on loan - All key players and on 100% of their wages. I went against mutually terminating the lesser players in the U21s and U18s that will never make the first team. A lot of their contracts run out at the end of the season, so I've just simply loaned them out to save the club money.

Going forward...

GK: I'm happy with De Gea and Sam Johnstone as my GK choices. Think I'll just wait until I find a decent regen as a future 2nd choice.

RB: Happy with Rafael and Clyne, although Rafael's aggression is a concern. Always seems to get booked! I'll see what happens with that. May replace him.

LB: I might extend Evra's contract, not sure yet. Great help for Shaw to progress. Although... he will want high wages and he's getting old. Shaw will become first choice as he's just that good! May consider a new LB... any to recommend? If not a regen will most likely enter.

CB: Massive changes in the central defensive position. Vidic is already leaving on a free (I don't know if the game will allow me to persuade him to stay? Will I have to wait until he officially leaves?). Rio will probably retire. So a first choice CB will need to come in and join Jones in the centre of defence. Evans and Smalling as back ups, maybe a regen to bring the numbers up to five. Varane, Umtiti, Mangala and Doria are catching my eye.

DM: Just incase I ever play a formation with a defensive midfielder, I may invest in a natural one. I like Geoffrey Kondogbia and Diego Reyes. Any other recommendations? Lucas Romero, Carrick and Fellaini can all play here for when I need cover.

CM: I'm simply not a fan of Fellaini (In real life too). So I'll probably let him go (especially if his value rises). Looking for a ball-playing DLP. I LOVE Kroos but he will probably be too expensive. A Scholes type figure, basically. Giggs will become a full-time coach and Anderson will go when he returns from loan. We all know the Cleverley case lol. Eager to introduce Nick Powell, same with Pugliese as he gets older (as I know that they can both become good players). I like Ward-Prowse as another English option too. Carrick is also getting old, so that's something to monitor closely. Eventually a completely new line-up will be first choice. Any help here, much appreciated.

AMC: If I play a narrow formation with three of these, I may need more depth. So a few youngsters may come in. I like Quintero, Otavio, Paredes, Avdijaj and Ross Barkley. No departures here for a while. Rooney can play here as a SS though, which will allow me to get Volland game time.

AML: Nani's mental attributes aren't good enough for me so he will go soon. Januzaj is being retrained here and Welbeck can play as an IF here too. Need a replacement for Nani in the near future. I like Thauvin. Reus could be a big buy (if I can ever afford him). Draxler is too expensive.

AMR: I will definitely look to replace Valencia and Hofmann (will return to Dortmund from his loan), so two AMRs will be needed. I may introduce Andrija Zivkovic as he looks like a superb talent (Joins in January) Probably second choice to start of with. Zaha I'm unsure of. I like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lucas Moura and Shaqiri. Help needed here more than any other position.

ST: Hernandez will go if Athletico Madrid don't opt to take him permanently. Gabriel Barbosa looks likely to join if I can agree a deal. Henriquez will return and is a bright spark. May one day let Rooney go if Volland lives up to his potential.

Any advice/opinions are muchly appreciated!

Hi Tomcampbell, Im just about to start a new save game as Man Utd.
Ive been reading this topic with interest, I would like to know what in your opinion is the best tactic for man utd and which do you use. Thanks.

Hi Tomcampbell, Im just about to start a new save game as Man Utd.
Ive been reading this topic with interest, I would like to know what in your opinion is the best tactic for man utd and which do you use. Thanks.

I use three different tactics:

4231 with wide players
4231 with three narrow advanced midfielders.
41221 with wide players.

The 4231s
These formations are creative possession formations.
I've always used wingers on FM, which has always proven to be successful. However, to suit the likes of Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj and in some cases Rooney, I've reshuffled and introduced a narrow 4231. So far I'm three games in, haven't conceded a goal and won comfortably. Rooney also has three-in-three with the support of Januzaj, Mata and Kagawa in behind him.

I play with two central defenders and complete wing-backs to provide support on the wings. Unless I play wingers, I play them in their preferred role (complete wing backs or full backs usually).

Carrick and Fellaini are ball winning and box-to-box midfielders, allowing the three advanced midfielders more freedom to create.

Like I said, I also have the option to play wingers. I especially look to play them if I know the opposition's wing-backs are good. They can help protect my own wing-backs from becoming over-run. So at the moment, Valencia or Hofmann on the right and Nani, Januzaj or Welbeck on the left.

Plus if I wanted to, this formation allows me to play Rooney as a second striker in behind either Volland or Welbeck if I feel I need two strikers on the pitch.

The 41221
This is a much more counter/defensive based tactic.
The 41221 formation I use is usually when I play bigger teams, especially in the Champions League against the likes of Bayern, Barcelona etc. Or I may be 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and I want to provide more cover for my four defenders, so I'll introduce it during the game.

It allows me to cover their advanced midfielder(s) with a holding player, hence why I am looking to invest in a good one in the near future.

This involves a deep-lying playmaker and either an advanced central midfielder or ball-winning midfielder sat just in front. Also involves two (quick) wingers, usually used as counter attacking outlets (with clear ball to flanks switched on) to hit them on the counter and provide quick support for a target man upfront.

Ive just found 2 tactics , 4231 with wide and 4231 with 3 narrow adv amc but cant find a 41221 any ideas who makes that type of tactic ?
Not bought or sold anyone yet and not changed any backroom staff although i do like having Tassotti as my *** man.
Do you have any backroom staff who you generally use?

Also do you use 4 def and 2 dms or 2 cms ?

Last edited:
Ive just found 2 tactics , 4231 with wide and 4231 with 3 narrow adv amc but cant find a 41221 any ideas who makes that type of tactic ?
Not bought or sold anyone yet and not changed any backroom staff although i do like having Tassotti as my *** man.
Do you have any backroom staff who you generally use?

Also do you use 4 def and 2 dms or 2 cms ?

My 4231 narrow:

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
CM - CM
AMC - AMC - AMC
ST​
My 4231 wide:

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
CM - CM
AMR - - - AMC - - - AML
ST
My 41221 (It's similar to a 433):

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
DM
CM - CM
AML - - - - - - - - AMR
ST

During my whole time playing FM, since Championship Manager, I haven't ever downloaded any tactics. I always create my own and make small adjustments depending on the opponents.

I'll upload some screen shots of my staff that I brought in, in an hour or two. I usually, pretty much offer everyone a mutual termination and get my own staff in. It costs but works better for me in the long run.

Personally, I think Tassotti wants too much money. I'm quite careful with money.

Check out my Youtube channel if you like, I give little tips and tricks. Next videos that I'll cover will be all about staff.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FMCampbe11

You should try to keep some of your more promising youngsters at the club and get them tutored by the older players - personally loaning does not work half as much as tutoring and game time for the first team.

You should try to keep some of your more promising youngsters at the club and get them tutored by the older players - personally loaning does not work half as much as tutoring and game time for the first team.

To be honest, It's only Pugliese that I will actually probably keep that has gone out on loan. Cerri maybe, but he's more of a money maker.

The majority of them are players that are out of contract at the end of the season and I simply want to get them off the wage bill.

Zivkovic joins later, so I'll have players tutoring him.

Thanks for the advice though!