Man Utd dominate 'team of decade'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 4K
That debate again on La Liga vs EPL. Give me EPL any day not only just because it is more interesting but it is better because english people actually do care about the game. Even home fans shout at the player who is diving not like spanish people who actually applaud their theatrical dives. And Barca and Real won't dominate week in week out because the English game is physical and I'd actually like to see how Barca plays against teams like Stoke. Why do you think the all the good young players prefer Spain rather than England because they know that they can't handle the pressure of playing in England.

This is one of the many reasons foreigners hate English footballer. So many are deluded stuck up twats. Why do young players prefer to play in Spain??? Perhaps because they are given a chance, footballing academies are better, the football is better and it suits them better? Nothing to do with the pressure.

Henry over Drogba SURELY? Even Bergkamp might have a case over Drogba.

And can we not turn this thread into ANOTHER ****** La Liga vs Prem 'debate'?

This is one of the many reasons foreigners hate English footballer. So many are deluded stuck up twats. Why do young players prefer to play in Spain??? Perhaps because they are given a chance, footballing academies are better, the football is better and it suits them better? Nothing to do with the pressure.

The football is better how? I would much rather play in the EPL would I be a very sought for youngster. The football is better in the EPL because all the teams are actually good. I bet all of the clubs who've moved up from the Championship to the Premiership would easily be able to stay up in the La Liga, not the same could be said about the Spanish teams.

And on your earlier post stating that players are better in the La Liga: I 100% disagree, end of.

The football is better how? I would much rather play in the EPL would I be a very sought for youngster. The football is better in the EPL because all the teams are actually good. I bet all of the clubs who've moved up from the Championship to the Premiership would easily be able to stay up in the La Liga, not the same could be said about the Spanish teams.

And on your earlier post stating that players are better in the La Liga: I 100% disagree, end of.

Do you watch La Liga? If so you would know that isn't the case.

From 2000-01 season up to his retirement in 2006, Shearer played 188 games, scoring 79 goals (obviously very impressive), but for me, Henry (223 apps, 157 gls), Van Nistelrooy (150 apps, 95 gls), Drogba (201 apps, 95 gls), Owen (222 apps ,101 gls) and Rooney (216 apps, 102 gls) would probably be ahead of him.

I'd put Shearer in the team of the decade for the nineties personally, although it is still some achievement with a side that aren't considered one of the best in the country. Obviously it's not all about goals too, but I'd have gone with Henry and Drogba/Rooney personally.

Do you watch La Liga? If so you would know that isn't the case.

Why do people always find it necessary to ask these stupid questions? Of course I watch La Liga, otherwise I would be in no position to be arguing about this.

And is this really your final argument? That if I watched it (which I do) I would know it's not the case? Lol.

Personally think this should be the team..

Van Der Sar
Neville - Terry - Vidic - Cole
Ronaldo - Scholes - Lampard - Giggs
Henry - Van Nistelrooy​

Only changes are to the front line and Lampard for Gerrard, but I think they've put Shearer in due to him being the all time top scorer, and Drogba maybe because he's still there?

Lampard for Gerrard personally because Lampard has won the competition 3 times this decade and scored 20 goals a season every year for 5 seasons. Gerrard is incredible, but for me this decade Lampard has been better in the EPL.

Also find it strange that not one Arsenal player has made it, despite their invincibles season in 03/04 and them winning the league twice this decade.

Why do people always find it necessary to ask these stupid questions? Of course I watch La Liga, otherwise I would be in no position to be arguing about this.

And is this really your final argument? That if I watched it (which I do) I would know it's not the case? Lol.

I asked it because I generally didn't think you did when you said that English clubs would easily stay up.

When I say La Liga teams play better football, I mean in terms of how they play. As I said earlier I prefer watching attacking football with the ball on the deck. That rarely happens in the EPL.

About your point that if you were a youngster you would rather be in England. Spanish clubs invest so much more into their youth systems than England, they realise if they invest it then it can and will save them millions in the long run.

Better players - it's a tricky one. Think most of the levels in La Liga are equal to the EPL in terms of quality in players but then look at the top 2 and that is what I am basing better players on. Some of the best players from England and other leagues want to go to Spain.

I would have gone for Henry and Shearer, personally, with Cech in goal ahead of VDS on the basis of the the entirety of their careers in England.

There are a few potential candidates for the CM positions for me also, but can't really argue with Gerrard and Scholes in there.

Same team for me less Shearer for Henry and maybe Ruud for Drogba

Lampard for Gerrard personally because Lampard has won the competition 3 times this decade and scored 20 goals a season every year for 5 seasons. Gerrard is incredible, but for me this decade Lampard has been better in the EPL.

Simply put, Gerrard > Lampard.

I don't understand it, some people are so adamant that La Liga is way better than the EPL but is so insecure about it that he had to post it as the first post of the "EPL's" team of the decade. Furthermore, he is posting in a section clearly under the world "England". I mean, I get it if you love your league, and I personally believe whichever league is better is all down to personal preference. Yet, that person just had to come here and diss the EPL.

Oh and this EPL vs La Liga debate is as boring as Messi vs Ronaldo's.

As for the topic, I'm ecstatic that Scholes - my favourite player is included there. Thought people rated Lampard more.

Was about to post this. How the **** is Thierry Henry not in there?

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

If you compared it to the La Liga team of the decade it shows why in my opinion tha it is a better quality league than the EPL.

Quite the opposite. It shows that there's so little competition in Spain - There could be one player, if that, from a team outside of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Here we have: Man Utd, Fulham, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool (and ****** well should have Arsenal's Henry)

Exactly for you, I acknowledged it in my first post that others have different views, I can accept that.

Top 2 in La Liga > Top 2 in Epl
3-8 in EPL > La Liga
9-20 EPL = La Liga

Odd definition of "best league in the world" IMO but in any case, those comparisons are definitely debatable. Not now, though ;)

Thierry Henry has to be in there ahead of Drogba. I'd also argue a case for Carragher but I'm a biased ****.

Ahead of Neville perhaps? Neither GREAT players IMO (Carragher at RB...) but both very consistent (wherever they played) and can't think of anyone else.

Unless.. Eboue? =P

Henry over Drogba SURELY? Even Bergkamp might have a case over Drogba.

And can we not turn this thread into ANOTHER ****** La Liga vs Prem 'debate'?

This. And yeah, soz about the La Liga vs Prem stuff.

Glad everyone appreciates that Henry should be there... ZM tweeted some v interesting stuff but cba to find it in his TL.

From 2000-01 season up to his retirement in 2006, Shearer played 188 games, scoring 79 goals (obviously very impressive), but for me, Henry (223 apps, 157 gls), Van Nistelrooy (150 apps, 95 gls), Drogba (201 apps, 95 gls), Owen (222 apps ,101 gls) and Rooney (216 apps, 102 gls) would probably be ahead of him.

I'd put Shearer in the team of the decade for the nineties personally, although it is still some achievement with a side that aren't considered one of the best in the country. Obviously it's not all about goals too, but I'd have gone with Henry and Drogba/Rooney personally.

V interesting stats! In terms of practicality, I'd argue RvN and Henry would work better than Henry & Drogba, personally.

Simply put, Gerrard > Lampard.

This decade in the Premier League I disagree. Overall, I'm 100% on your side.

But since 2000;
Lampard has won 3 League titles, scored 122 goals in 374 games with 85 assists.
Gerrard has won 0 League titles, scored 83 goals in 346 games with 65 assists.

But since 2000;

I agree, I think Lampard has been better in the EPL and Gerrard better in the Champions League.

But that's probably irrelevant, as this is a Prem team of the decade.

You don't say :P

Last edited:

But since 2000;

I actually agree with this. Those stats show Lampard outshining Gerrard by a good measure, albeit stats don't tell you everything. It's more Lampard's sheer consistency over the time period: over 10 goals every season for Chelsea since 2003, which is truly brilliant. Gerrard's a good player, and recently a truly fantastic one, but his (comparative) inconsistency gives Lampard the win I think.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I agree, I think Lampard has been better in the EPL and Gerrard better in the Champions League.

But that's probably irrelevant, as this is a Prem team of the decade.

But since 2000;

Certainly interesting stats. Lampard has been in the better team/squad in which to win League titles, Gerrard has often been relied upon to come up with the goods alone. Despite the stats I believe Gerrard is just the complete midfielder, he does much more for the team than Lampard.

You could go further into the stats and give Gerrard a Champions League trophy and go into Gerrard's defensive tackles, but the majority of people would say Gerrard is the better player anyway. I even know Chelsea fans who believe Gerrard is the better player.

Certainly interesting stats. Lampard has been in the better team/squad in which to win League titles, Gerrard has often been relied upon to come up with the goods alone. Despite the stats I believe Gerrard is just the complete midfielder, he does much more for the team than Lampard.

You could go further into the stats and give Gerrard a Champions League trophy and go into Gerrard's defensive tackles, but the majority of people would say Gerrard is the better player anyway. I even know Chelsea fans who believe Gerrard is the better player.

I think Gerrard is the better player.

But this is a PREMIER LEAGUE team of the year, so I'd presume that they are looking at Premier League performances alone and not taking into consideration other competitions.

As I said, Gerrard is better than Lampard in my opinion, but in the Premier League over the last decade, Lampard has been better than Gerrard.

i would of had ever viera or keane over gerrard personally

Back