Man Utd dominate 'team of decade'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 4K
I think Gerrard is the better player.

But this is a PREMIER LEAGUE team of the year, so I'd presume that they are looking at Premier League performances alone and not taking into consideration other competitions.

As I said, Gerrard is better than Lampard in my opinion, but in the Premier League over the last decade, Lampard has been better than Gerrard.

My thoughts exactly.

i would of had ever viera or keane over gerrard personally

Hard one. I think Gerrard's longevity just clinched it for him in the eyes of the managers though.

But ever one of them would bring more balance to the team lol :)

But this is a PREMIER LEAGUE team of the year, so I'd presume that they are looking at Premier League performances alone and not taking into consideration other competitions.

As I said, Gerrard is better than Lampard in my opinion, but in the Premier League over the last decade, Lampard has been better than Gerrard.

However all you have taken into account is league titles, goals and assists. How can you form a comparison on those alone?

However all you have taken into account is league titles, goals and assists. How can you form a comparison on those alone?

What else is there for me to include in a comparison in the Premier League. Those stats are for the Premier League alone.

This decade in the Premier League I disagree. Overall, I'm 100% on your side.

But since 2000;
Lampard has won 3 League titles, scored 122 goals in 374 games with 85 assists.
Gerrard has won 0 League titles, scored 83 goals in 346 games with 65 assists.
The stats are against Gerrard, but I disagree. Gerrard has less assists and goals because he is expected to be a box-to-box for Liverpool as well as set up chances. Liverpool also tire him out, by relying on him, and he has suffered injuries and plays for a 'lesser' (in terms of the league) team. Lampard has won the league titles not by himself, but mostly because he has talented team mates. Gerrard gives his all every game, with work-rate and determination.

I disagree, Gerrard has been better in the Premier League and Champions League, I think, but Lampard is better for England and in the FA Cup (as Chelsea always progress quite far in it). Gerrard is a lot better all-round, harder-working player and Liverpool have relied on him for basically the last decade. Lampard, however, is not vital to Chelsea, they have other players they could buy/promote to replace him.

I think the Bundesliga is the best league in Europe, with many teams in with a shout. But I prefer the Prem to La Liga.

But I think maybe Lampard in Team of the Season but Gerrard in Team of the Decade.

I would have Rio over Vidic or Terry. He is one of the best defender of the decade. Surely deserves the place.

And without Henry no way you can call this team of the decade. He was so ****** good. Would select Henry and RVN as they scored **** loads of goals.

Hmm, Premier League Player of the Decade (statistically) doesn't get in the Premier League Team of the Decade....okay.

Here's my TotD, which is obviously more important than the manager's votes <)

VDS
Rio Vidic Terry
Keane
Ronaldo Scholes Lampard Cashley
Henry Rooney

Let's be honest, Cashley pretty much spends most of his time as a left-winger, so I think that's an accurate line-up there :P.

Cech
Ferdinand - Terry
Neville ------------ ------ Cole
Vieira
Lampard ----- Scholes
Ronaldo ---------------------- Rooney
Henry​

This would probably be my team, with special mention to the nearly men: Jaaskelainen, Vidic, Carragher, Gerrard, Giggs, Llungberg, Pires, Drogba & Owen.​

I find it hard to believe that not a single player from the greatest team ever to grace the league was not picked.. i mean come one, Henry, Bergkamp, Lehmann, Pires, Keown!?! I know I'm being biased but really not a single one!

How did United's 07/08 team get Team of the Decade over The Invincibles? :S

Cech
Ferdinand - Terry
Neville ------------ ------ Cole
Vieira
Lampard ----- Scholes
Ronaldo ---------------------- Rooney
Henry​

This would probably be my team, with special mention to the nearly men: Jaaskelainen, Vidic, Carragher, Gerrard, Giggs, Llungberg, Pires, Drogba & Owen.​

I'd say that's pretty much spot on. Got to say I would pick Drogba over Rooney, but there's not much in it TBH.

I find it hard to believe that not a single player from the greatest team ever to grace the league was not picked.. i mean come one, Henry, Bergkamp, Lehmann, Pires, Keown!?! I know I'm being biased but really not a single one!

Or Parlour? Sorry, but this team of the decade is BS-the Arsenal players missing is an absolute glaring ommission-wth? So I'm going to totally disregard it. Yes there are players like Rooney, Scholes who deserve to be in it, but I'm narked Becks didn't make it. And he pretty much tried to carry the England squad on by himself at times, when other players couldn't be arsed at times. so....I don't like it.

And one little side-mention on the league thingy. Seen Liga-2 horse race most of the time like the SPL. Seen Serie A-boring. Cures insomnia at times. Premier League-as Sunday demonstrated, the most exciting league IN THE WORLD. It's not because the leagues getting worse. It's because "smaller" clubs/lower to mid-table clubs, are now getting much stronger. And some teams bring that strength from the Championship-as QPR will demonstrate. And it's also very unpredictable. So put that in your pipe and sssmmoookke it!

They won the European Double? Admittedly, shouldn't effect voting... with you on this one.

Okay. I reckon this would be more appropriate:

Cech
Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - Cole
Vieira
Lampard - Scholes
Ronaldo ---------------------- Giggs
Henry​

Last edited:

Terrible decision. The only thing that I can think of, is that perhaps United's Champions League achievements somehow influenced the voting. United also broke defensive records that year, but Arsenal's achievements were unbelievable, and a feat that will never likely be repeated. Perhaps the 07/08 season taking place more recently also helped United's cause, fresher in everyone's mind and all that?

Cech

Neville - Vidic - Ferdinand - Cashley Hole

Ronaldo - Vieira - Gerrard - Giggs

Henry - Ruud van Nistelrooy/Bergkamp​

In terms of practicality and team cohesion/tactics and consistency rather than team honours.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

They won the European Double? Admittedly, shouldn't effect voting... with you on this one.

Okay. I reckon this would be more appropriate:

Cech
Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - Cole
Vieira
Lampard - Scholes
Ronaldo ---------------------- Giggs
Henry​

Was tempted to include Campbell but the way his career de-railed after he left Arsenal in 2006 (actually de-railed more in 2007-ish) and the ridiculous consistency of Vidic and Ferdinand when playing together made me go for them instead.

Was tempted to include Campbell but the way his career de-railed after he left Arsenal in 2006 (actually de-railed more in 2007-ish) and the ridiculous consistency of Vidic and Ferdinand when playing together made me go for them instead.

I just couldn't in good faith include Vidic, a man who's only been there four years (in the decade) over Campbell, who'd been consistently good for over seven years. It was a straight shoot-out between him and Terry, and I think Sol just about gets the nod.

I just couldn't in good faith include Vidic, a man who's only been there four years (in the decade) over Campbell, who'd been consistently good for over seven years. It was a straight shoot-out between him and Terry, and I think Sol just about gets the nod.

But in those four years, whenever he's played alongside Ferdinand he's been exceptional. Again; was about tactical fluidity and it was a toss-up between him, Terry and Campbell.

It's obviously your opinion, but I don't think can you get much more consistent than Lampard.

Well he's not been great this year to be fair, but that's largely irrelevant to my decision (partly because he's had a lot of injuries) - for me, over the past however many years, Gerrard > Lampard because he offers more to the side and suited my team's tactics more having one destroyer in Vieira and one deep lying CM who can drive on and play long balls and generally do more than Lampard.

Gerrard > Lampard in my opinion. I can't argue with the fact that Lampard had score more goals, assisted more and won more titles than Gerrard could, but Gerrard had almost been single-handedly carrying Liverpool throughout the decade while Lampard had been tremendous, he still have a lot of other quality players to share his burden.

Back