Man Utd money the key - Benitez

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 124
  • Views Views 5K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says the amount of money that title rivals Manchester United have to spend is the difference between the teams.

More...

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says the amount of money that title rivals Manchester United have to spend is the difference between the teams.

More...
or maybe the difference is liverpool have a stupid **** of a manager.

or maybe the difference is liverpool have a stupid **** of a manager.

I don't know, he hasn't managed to have the fans waving banners demanding he gets sacked yet has he?

Anyways, here's a short video dedicated to Taggart.

balloon.gif

I don't know, he hasn't managed to have the fans waving banners demanding he gets sacked yet has he?

Anyways, here's a short video dedicated to Taggart.
that was about 20 years ago, how does that affect how good he is.
also the united board never tried to replace fergie with klinnsman and most importantly he has won 11 titles to benitez's 0

Has he done anything else appart from whine?

Maybe if he didn't waste money by doing **** like buying a player for 20m then selling 6 months later for 12m...

Has he done anything else appart from whine?

Maybe if he didn't waste money by doing **** like buying a player for 20m then selling 6 months later for 12m...

I seem to recall a Champion's League final or two and rebuilding a squad which has pushed for the Premier League at an average net cost of 18 million a season.

Loss on Keane was 2 million. Such is life. Blame Coco the Clown (our former Chief Exec) for being taken for a ride and overspending on Keane. Blame Keane for showing just why he's failed at every top club which gambled on him. But you can hardly blame Rafa. Starting this summer is when we get to see what the gaffer can do in the transfer market - that's what his whole new contract was about.

Here's a video for you Manchester United fans who've never seen Old Trafford: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqGwoTVqzO0"]YouTube- Highly embarrassing pre-match song from the mancs 14/03/2009[/ame]

edit: was 4-1 the biggest loss to us at Old Trafford since the war? I can't remember ;)

Last edited:
Actual benitez has spent about 191 million since taking charge of liverpool roughly 34,745,000 million average per season, how is that value for money? Beni would have been sacked long ago only they won the champions league he is still there, won't be long till the liverpool fans will be calling for rafa's head... i know quite a few 'pool fans that wanted him out all season even they said he'd **** up and united would win the title

I meant when he talks, Liverpool are for sure a great team but all you ever hear is excuses and whining like the world is conspiring against him when they don't win. These days I have a lot more respect for Wenger than Benitez.

My point about Keane was money doesn't always equal success yet its his current excuse, ok so Man Utd during the Benitez era at Liverpool have spent 25% more net but if they arn't smart buys then it's not helped. Dunno about exact Keane figures, won't argue, its still money that was tied up that could of been better spent.

Edit: JTrappe, it depends on what figures you use. Gross totals then they are quite similar (Man U spend 5% more). Net difference (buying minus selling) its wider at 25%. Like this summer its expected Rafa will have to sell to buy hence the Net total won't change much.

Last edited:
i'm just saying that rafa had the money to spend where United bought 3 top players liverpool would buy players at aldi prices because they showed potential to be the next zidane(lol at buying cheyrou) if he had of spent wisely fair enough, but he bought a third choice left full for 7 million, how is that smart spending?

i'm just saying that rafa had the money to spend where United bought 3 top players liverpool would buy players at aldi prices because they showed potential to be the next zidane(lol at buying cheyrou) if he had of spent wisely fair enough, but he bought a third choice left full for 7 million, how is that smart spending?

Do you know how idiotic that point is? I think we really need to make a sticky somewhere so me and Zebedee don't have to keep saying the same things over and over.

1. Man Utd can afford to splash out on expensive players because they've been building their squad for years. Rafa has only been here 5 seasons so he's still in the rebuilding stage. From the time he took over there's only 3 players left from Houlliers team compared to Man Utd's team who have a lot of the same players.

2. Cheyrou was a Houllier signing.

3. It's always a risk when signing players from other leagues. No one expected Dossena to fail at adapting. You'd expect better from the 1st choice left back for the world champions.

Alex ferguson is 1 dirty horrible ****** purple nosed scum bag the end

3. It's always a risk when signing players from other leagues. No one expected Dossena to fail at adapting. You'd expect better from the 1st choice left back for the world champions.

To be fair, Doss didn't look so shabby when he was lobbing Van der Saar ;) Can't believe someone put Cheyrou down as a Rafa purchase - that's tickled my funny bone :D In fairness to Ged, he picked up the pieces of the Souness era which is what really messed us up (we did a Chelsea with a lot less success as a result, nuff said). I'd forgive Ged any purchase for bringing in big Sami.

I think a huge problem is that most of the Manc supporters now were twinkles in their dads' eyes when Taggart took over there. They don't remember how close he came to being sacked before Robins saved his job with that goal. They don't remember how many years it took for Taggart to begin to assemble a team capable of challenging for a title or even how much of their success was funded by them switching from being an FC to a PLC. (Not a dig, just an observation most of the Upper Stretford would agree with - hence most of them now turning out to support FC United).

Wenger's had a lot of time but his team seems to be going backwards. His philosophy has failed in many ways and he's now having to rethink it. Chelsea splashed lots and lots of cash to get a pre-packaged team of players at their peak, but are looking at an uncertain future as Uncle Roubles has not got the cash to fund another bid for a couple of titles and their current squad is aging. O'Neill at Villa is doing a good job but doesn't have the resources to fund a squad capable of challenging the big four just yet. Hughes is a good manager but he has the problem of trying to build a team when the owners want to make vanity purchases of 'big names' which is never a good recipe for a successful team (ask Real Madrid). We've got Rafa who is spending (net) our CL profits every season and gradually upgrading the entire squad. We're starting to see some of the youngsters come through which will help reduce futher net outlay. Liverpool are a work in progress but even as a work in progress we lost just 2 games in the league this season and took 6 points from the champions and took the supposed 'best club side ever' (utter tosh!) to the wire.

Credit to the Mancs for matching us at last (all that dominance and they've only just caught us up :D). Here's to Barca in the CL final ;)

I seem to recall a Champion's League final or two and rebuilding a squad which has pushed for the Premier League at an average net cost of 18 million a season.

Loss on Keane was 2 million. Such is life. Blame Coco the Clown (our former Chief Exec) for being taken for a ride and overspending on Keane. Blame Keane for showing just why he's failed at every top club which gambled on him. But you can hardly blame Rafa. Starting this summer is when we get to see what the gaffer can do in the transfer market - that's what his whole new contract was about.

was 4-1 the biggest loss to us at Old Trafford since the war? I can't remember ;)

wow 2 victories in 7years over us you guys are great?haha benitez is just a fat spanish waiter<)

To be fair, Doss didn't look so shabby when he was lobbing Van der Saar ;) Can't believe someone put Cheyrou down as a Rafa purchase - that's tickled my funny bone :D In fairness to Ged, he picked up the pieces of the Souness era which is what really messed us up (we did a Chelsea with a lot less success as a result, nuff said). I'd forgive Ged any purchase for bringing in big Sami.

I think a huge problem is that most of the Manc supporters now were twinkles in their dads' eyes when Taggart took over there. They don't remember how close he came to being sacked before Robins saved his job with that goal. They don't remember how many years it took for Taggart to begin to assemble a team capable of challenging for a title or even how much of their success was funded by them switching from being an FC to a PLC. (Not a dig, just an observation most of the Upper Stretford would agree with - hence most of them now turning out to support FC United).

Wenger's had a lot of time but his team seems to be going backwards. His philosophy has failed in many ways and he's now having to rethink it. Chelsea splashed lots and lots of cash to get a pre-packaged team of players at their peak, but are looking at an uncertain future as Uncle Roubles has not got the cash to fund another bid for a couple of titles and their current squad is aging. O'Neill at Villa is doing a good job but doesn't have the resources to fund a squad capable of challenging the big four just yet. Hughes is a good manager but he has the problem of trying to build a team when the owners want to make vanity purchases of 'big names' which is never a good recipe for a successful team (ask Real Madrid). We've got Rafa who is spending (net) our CL profits every season and gradually upgrading the entire squad. We're starting to see some of the youngsters come through which will help reduce futher net outlay. Liverpool are a work in progress but even as a work in progress we lost just 2 games in the league this season and took 6 points from the champions and took the supposed 'best club side ever' (utter tosh!) to the wire.

Credit to the Mancs for matching us at last (all that dominance and they've only just caught us up :D). Here's to Barca in the CL final ;)
i think i love you XD

dossena scored against madrid too maybe ye could sell him to city as a striker for 30million, lets get this straight while your talking about youth coming through, name the players that have burst from your youth team that have made a name for themselves apart from carra and stevie me???

because of financial reasons and building a new stadium they became a selling club while still being able to challenge consistently each season, wenger has gone backwards through no fault of his own as the players he signs are using arsenal as a stepping stone for a far more lucarative wage packet somewhere else, with his wage structure thats falling around his ears because of the players/mercenaries he's attracting, o'neill is doing a great job at villa as is moyes is at everton, liverpool may have lost 2 games this season but still through away result by rafa having a superior complex by resting key players and bringing them on late when he ***** himself instead of playing the key lads for the first 30mins and tearing their throat out and then taking them off, liverpools squad aren't as deep as everyone thinks but with kuyt and benayoun stepping up after how long of being passengers in that team??

mark hughes will be gone by next christmas and you will get a real madrid style replacing manager at every possiblity, he can't just buy world class players constently for the english game he needs work horses not all flair and **** all strength, major clear out is needed at city to rebuild from scratch, he'll only attract players with a high oppinion of themselves and think they are worth far more than reality. so don't expect much from them next year

Back