Man Utd ready to limit signings

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 4K
Man Utd have to improve, simple as. I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Alex is just playing his cards close to his chest. There could be a lot of outgoings -- Foster, Berbatov, Carrick, Tosic to name a few who could have played their last games for the club. Think we'll see a new goalkeeper with proper pedigree heading to Old Trafford too -- VDS is good, but he isn't going to keep going for much longer in all honesty. A good keeper could be eased into the side whilst VDS is still there instead of being thrown to the lions in the next year or two (even Barthez couldn't handle the pressure and he was mint at one stage).

As a Spurs fan, I hope they flog Berbatov back to us -- he is briliiant and unfairly criticised at United because he doesn't get to play with a bone-fide strike partner. I know you'll say ROONEY, ROONEY, but really, if you're a forward who likes to work in close spaces and play numerous one touch passes with your strike partner (as Berbatov does) then Rooney is not your ideal partner -- he is a Roy of the Rovers type player who can be found at CB, FB, CM, and making the half-time tea all at the same time, lol. Rooney is brilliant, but not for Berbatov.

Man Utd have to improve, simple as. I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Alex is just playing his cards close to his chest. There could be a lot of outgoings -- Foster, Berbatov, Carrick, Tosic to name a few who could have played their last games for the club. Think we'll see a new goalkeeper with proper pedigree heading to Old Trafford too -- VDS is good, but he isn't going to keep going for much longer in all honesty. A good keeper could be eased into the side whilst VDS is still there instead of being thrown to the lions in the next year or two (even Barthez couldn't handle the pressure and he was mint at one stage).

As a Spurs fan, I hope they flog Berbatov back to us -- he is briliiant and unfairly criticised at United because he doesn't get to play with a bone-fide strike partner. I know you'll say ROONEY, ROONEY, but really, if you're a forward who likes to work in close spaces and play numerous one touch passes with your strike partner (as Berbatov does) then Rooney is not your ideal partner -- he is a Roy of the Rovers type player who can be found at CB, FB, CM, and making the half-time tea all at the same time, lol. Rooney is brilliant, but not for Berbatov.
agree with quite a lot of this. foster is effectively gone; tosic will go; carrick really needs to wake up; a fit hargreaves, and the upcoming gibson next season will put him under severe pressure next season. dont think berbs will go though, but i agree about berbs and rooney. to partner rooney you need to function on your own at times, which is why i really want dzeko.

dont think a keeper will come just yet. its not as crucial as mid or up front, but this will almost certainly be van der sar's last season

What I find unfair is united are over £700 million in debt yet The FA don't sanction them or anything :S

Yeah but there assets are worth a lot of money thats probably why .

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Maybe im wrong but i think rooney and berbatov both dropping as deep as they do at times causes them problems although this season rooney has been a bit furthur forward hense why he scored a lot of goals this year .

What I find unfair is united are over £700 million in debt yet The FA don't sanction them or anything :S
its because they afford (currently) to keep up the payments, and also they are worth more than their debt. (£1.19 billion). also they pay the tax man. ALWAYS pay the tax man first, otherwise HMRC will take you to the wall

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Yeah but there assets are worth a lot of money thats probably why .

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Maybe im wrong but i think rooney and berbatov both dropping as deep as they do at times causes them problems although this season rooney has been a bit furthur forward hense why he scored a lot of goals this year .
we need someone who can hold the line and a midfielder who can play through the middle (dzeko and gourcuff) i reall hope we make a move for gourcuff, hes already shwon he can make the step up to the very best teams, we dont need him showing just how well in the world cup before we move for him, as his price will skyrocket

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

we need someone who can hold the line and a midfielder who can play through the middle (dzeko and gourcuff) i reall hope we make a move for gourcuff, hes already shwon he can make the step up to the very best teams, we dont need him showing just how well in the world cup before we move for him, as his price will skyrocket

Excellent point
Things go a bit mad if someone has a good world cup
Like when Liverpool bought the Senegalesse players after 2002

Yeah i agree with what u saying , havent really seen much of gourcuff myself , but from what i have seen hes a tidy neat player quick movement something man utd need , a midfielder who is gonna get into the box and not sit to much , although getting players before a world cup is also difficult , as no one wants to be moving around before the biggest tournament of there lifes , most players go after the world cup and as u said have higher transfer fees , lets hope gourcuff breaks his leg in his first game or something lmao.

He's quite good movement wise and in terms of delivery
I watched a few Ligue 1 games this year and in the Champ League
As you said, we need someone who can score from midfield....leave the defensive mopping up to Fletch
Becasue at the moment we are asking too much of him and its affecting him
When he has to do so much, he does all the things averagely, id prefer him to concentrate on one thing and be great at it
Plus we can see how important scoring from MF is(Lampard) and we need someone with better deliveries from corners and FKs

I don't think man utd need many new signings,yeah a few of there players are getting old but look at chelsea.scholes scored an important goal against man city and giggsy has been amazing and there is no-one like him , they are the spirit of man utd and without them united are not the same, also man utd had heaps of injuries this season and pushed chelsea to the final day, we would of been in the champions league with a bit of luck and i think thats all it comes down to, berbatov for me is a good player,true he doesnt work well with rooney but i still think he is good,the new mexican is supposed to be great and he's quick,maybe a midfielder like silva, gourcuff or di maria from benfica, Alex ferguson is a master at every form of the game and criticise him if you like but he knows what he is doing, if man utd won the title on the last day of the season and went through in the champions league no-one would be saying as much so i think just a striker and a midfielder and thats it, and young one's players for the future and ferguson is great at doing that

One hopes it is the old "I don't want anyone (but really I do)" thing SAF sometimes plays.
Bit worried though as he said much the same last year.

We NEED: a GK (Hugo Loris, Akinfeev); an AM (please sign Gourcuff!) and a ST (Dzeko ideally, but doubt we would get him).
IDEALLY also: ML/R, CB, RB.

I pray to the lord god himself SAF doesn't think we can get full seasons out of Giggs, Scholes, EvS, and Ferdinand is creaking.

Berbatov should only be sold if the money is going to be put into another player, we wouldn't get much for him, and he did contribute 19 goals (including assists) in about 33 appearances (forgive me if the numbers are wrong), which is not too bad (not world class, but not too bad).

We haven't got a lot of players that could be sold for serious money, so if he needs to sell Anderson, he should, we need a goalscoring midfielder

I think Fergie knows we need 1 or 2 more players but like what someone said earlier he's playing his cards close to his chest and who can blame him.

Raffazza, Berb only got 12 goals in ALL comps, nowhere near good enough a return for the dosh we splashed.

I keep hearing Gourcuff's name being chucked around, but honestly how do we know he'll be able to cope in the Prem???? Torres is a proven goalscorer in the prem and has openly admitted if he stays here for too long it'll ruin his career, plus i've seen my fair share of overseas flops, Forlan immediately springs to mind.

But we do need to have a look at some players, i personally, would love to see Milner in a red devil shirt and as for a striker maybe Benzema.

Tosic was a waste, why buy him and use him twice then send him off on loan?

When will Obertan get a good run in the team, 7 apps for him

Yeah very stupid idea when looking at the man next to Rooney ....

Ferguson and his mind games eh. I think the key words on the opening thread is MAY NOT. We all know he will.

United will buy. You should all know by now he likes mind games. think we only need 3 players myself a goalkeeper(for 2011/12 season) a central defender as rio isn't staying fit aand a central midfielder. berb,roon and owen are fine up front and what with the kids we should be ok. but thats just me

they won't, he keeps saying about the lack of "value for money". he's not willing to spend anymore after what happened with Berbatov. battle of the Blues for next season's title?

think bit off both they havent got as much money in the transfer as some would think due to their debt. Also fergie knows what he is doing, if they stay fit they will be there or there about, plus because he loves man u so much and will be retireing soon wants to leave new manager as much money as possible.

----------------------VDS
--Rafael----Ferdinand---Vidic---Evra
-Valencia-Fletcher--Hargreaves-Nani
-------------Rooney---Hernandez

Yeah that team really is going to beat chelseas,......................

well it came within 1 point this year, it looks a strong enough team atm, dont forgot rafael will be better, berba and macheda off the bench, park, giggs, sholes, the list of players goes on.

Yeah, but were not competing for the title, You guys are, we need to keep up with the likes of spurs and the **** atm, not chelsea.....

I thought Roberto said when he first came in, he wants to be challenging for the title next season. So surely chelsea are a rivals.

I think Fergie knows we need 1 or 2 more players but like what someone said earlier he's playing his cards close to his chest and who can blame him.

Raffazza, Berb only got 12 goals in ALL comps, nowhere near good enough a return for the dosh we splashed.

I keep hearing Gourcuff's name being chucked around, but honestly how do we know he'll be able to cope in the Prem???? Torres is a proven goalscorer in the prem and has openly admitted if he stays here for too long it'll ruin his career, plus i've seen my fair share of overseas flops, Forlan immediately springs to mind.

But we do need to have a look at some players, i personally, would love to see Milner in a red devil shirt and as for a striker maybe Benzema.

berba scored all hs goals in the league though, which is okay, considering he was played out of position, not a regular starter, and is alway going to be in rooney shadows.

For every Forlan theres a Drogba. There always going to be over seas flops as well as gems. What PArk was 4 million, in my opinion one of the bargain of the decade. ronaldo 12million similar price to forlan as well.

Gourcuff no thanks, he flopped in italy. All he has done is suceed in a fairly avergage standard league, bit like Benzema( who has flopped at madrid)

Milner i would love to see. i think maybe Fabiano to come in, or even a british based striker, lke maybe defoe( he would score goals) someone like that.

Tosic was a waste, why buy him and use him twice then send him off on loan?

When will Obertan get a good run in the team, 7 apps for him

obertan got injured, after he was getting a good run. He was injured for 3 months at the start, and got injured again in about feb i think, so he just had an injury affected season.

they won't, he keeps saying about the lack of "value for money". he's not willing to spend anymore after what happened with Berbatov. battle of the Blues for next season's title?

"Value for money" is a favourite saying of fergies, he uses it to try not to get ripped off. it is as much to do with wages as well as fees. he said it long before berba was bought. i think he will sign maybe 2 more players on top of Javier and Smalling. David gill has said there is 70million to spend, Fergie has not said he hasnt the funds available to him, just he doesnt see value at the moment.

obertan got injured, after he was getting a good run. He was injured for 3 months at the start, and got injured again in about feb i think, so he just had an injury affected season.

What you think will happen with Tosic? How much did he cost?

At least having Hargreaves back at some point will be good for Utd, 27 odd apps in 3 years aint the best. Hope hes still a decent player on return

Back