Man Utd ready to limit signings

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 4K
"obertan got injured, after he was getting a good run. He was injured for 3 months at the start, and got injured again in about feb i think, so he just had an injury affected season."

What you think will happen with Tosic? How much did he cost?

At least having Hargreaves back at some point will be good for Utd, 27 odd apps in 3 years aint the best. Hope hes still a decent player on return

Tosic was undiscloed but reported to be about 7million, i think he will go, although we havent seen much matches with him. he might be doing **** in training or not working hard enough.

Hargeaves i think might be done for, it takes a **** of lot of mental stregthen to over come that kind of absent. i question whether he will.

Gibson FTW

can i add pjanic's name to the list of options as i believe he would be a good signing in an area where we need strengthening. i believe we should offer berbatov in part exchange for dzeko and then splash out on pjanic as he would help dzeko settle as they play together for bosnia and he could offer us that attacking mid option that chelsea have in lampard. Also i don't think he would cost as much as gourcuff, especially after the world cup, as gourcuff will have a good world cup and pjanic will be abit forgotten about as he's not there so that would make him cheaper in comparisson.

Yoann Gourcuff is way better than Miralem Pjanic mate :)

I would rather splash out my money in Yoann

Tosic was undiscloed but reported to be about 7million, i think he will go, although we havent seen much matches with him. he might be doing **** in training or not working hard enough.

Hargeaves i think might be done for, it takes a **** of lot of mental stregthen to over come that kind of absent. i question whether he will.

Gibson FTW
it was the mental stuff that was actaully holding him back for the last few months before he came back to the reserves, but he seems to have got over it. he missed the last game because of a virus. i dont think he's done for at all.

tbh i've not seen much of gourcuff, i'm just saying he's a cheaper option and if we do get dzeko it might help him settle and have a good first season which most foreigners don't have when coming over to the premier league.

obviously torres is an exception to that rule but many players have struggled here then gone on to be big names elsewhere, just look at forlan, a key part of atletico madrid or the hype that surrounded veron before he flopped. we just have to make sure whoever we do bring in settles quickly and doesn't turn into a high profile flop like they have or like owen and woodgate did at madrid.

Am i the only one who thinks we dont need to buy anyone this season?
we are 700+mil in debt and the prices for players are way too high atm. Also we can we the league with the squad we have unless we get all our defence injured again

we are 700+mil in debt and the prices for players are way too high atm. Also we can we the league with the squad we have unless we get all our defence injured again
the problem wasnt anything to to with our defene, it was the lack of options up front, we were too predictable and thuse easier to defend against at times. we had the best defensive record in the league

We could probably win the league this season with this squad, but with Chelsea almost certainly going to strengthen their squad, Arsenal will be hungrier with new signings as they are losing Fabregas, Liverpool will want to come back with a bang, Man City are looking to make waves in the football world, Spurs going to spend for their European push, I feel we have to spend otherwise we could risk falling further behind Chelsea and behind Arsenal and maybe even Liverpool depending on the season they have.

I see what you're saying mate, but with everyone around us strengthening, we have to improve our depth, even if we keep the starting 11 the same.

the problem wasnt anything to to with our defene, it was the lack of options up front, we were too predictable and thuse easier to defend against at times. we had the best defensive record in the league

Yes we had a lack of options up front, but the fact we only had 1 fit defender for a few weeks was a massive factor in the end.

We got smashed against Fulham 3-1 when we had to play Fletcher, Carrick and Evra as a back 3 and had Kuszcak in goal, had we had our strongest defense available, or even 4 defenders fit, we probably would have come away with a win that day. But the lack of defenders meant they could attack us as much as they wanted and with Zamora smashing Carrick around they had it easy, as we showed when we played them with a fully fit team when they could barely get a sight of goal.

I think it was a mixture of the two that probably led to our downfall this season.

I'm pretty sure we didn't even manage a goal vs fulham DMF. :'(

I think the actual qoute was from a press conference about the USA tour where ferguson said we had a good squad and that we may sign one or possibly no new players. I'd be fine with just one more.

We weren't too far away this season and some of the younger players are starting to mature E.g Nani, which will be a boost next season.

One hopes it is the old "I don't want anyone (but really I do)" thing SAF sometimes plays.
Bit worried though as he said much the same last year.

We NEED: a GK (Hugo Loris, Akinfeev); an AM (please sign Gourcuff!) and a ST (Dzeko ideally, but doubt we would get him).
IDEALLY also: ML/R, CB, RB.
We dont need a goalie VDS is one of the best in the world. I dont think akinfeev or lloris would be happy aas a back up keeper.
In the few games i have seen Gourcuff play he is not good enough for united. He struggled to create any chances vs ireland for france and was outplayed by Glenn Whelen...
Dzeko decent but im not sure if he is any better than berbatov if we sign a striker i would want Diego Forlan or Karim Benzema.

Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park, Tosic and obertan will be enough for ML/R.
And why the **** would we sign a CB unless we sell vidic?:S

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Who is Hernandez?
A young mexican striker man utd have signed.

I'm pretty sure we didn't even manage a goal vs fulham DMF. :'(

I think the actual qoute was from a press conference about the USA tour where ferguson said we had a good squad and that we may sign one or possibly no new players. I'd be fine with just one more.

We weren't too far away this season and some of the younger players are starting to mature E.g Nani, which will be a boost next season.

You're right, it was 3-0 my bad.
I'd be happy with a striker tbh, just another goalscorer to take the weight off Rooney's shoulders, as if he gets injured next season and if Berbatov is still low on confidence and Owen being Owen will probably fall over his dog and break his neck during the summer meaning we'd have to rely on Hernandez and Macheda who aren't proven. Maybe loan out Macheda or Hernandez (preferably Macheda as Hernandez is a Mexico international) and bring in Aguero, as the season after that we could get rid of Owen/Berbatov and Macheda would have more experience.

Last edited:
Yes we had a lack of options up front, but the fact we only had 1 fit defender for a few weeks was a massive factor in the end.

We got smashed against Fulham 3-1 when we had to play Fletcher, Carrick and Evra as a back 3 and had Kuszcak in goal, had we had our strongest defense available, or even 4 defenders fit, we probably would have come away with a win that day. But the lack of defenders meant they could attack us as much as they wanted and with Zamora smashing Carrick around they had it easy, as we showed when we played them with a fully fit team when they could barely get a sight of goal.

I think it was a mixture of the two that probably led to our downfall this season.
but you could also argue it ultimately came down to attack as well. we failed to scord in 6 league games this season, chelsea failed to score in just one. ill find out for you how many we falied to score in for last season. one goal against blackburn and the title was ours. i see what you're saying about the defence. but the defence had a massive crisis of injuries, whereas we are generally light up front.

I reckon Macheda might just be good enough to start about 10-15 games this season.
He will score alot more goals than berba anyway.

And who is this martinez guy DMF is talking about?

Think he's got the name Hernandez and Martinez mixed up.

Fair enough really, they're pretty similar.

Unless i've missed something drastic. XD

Yeah got them mixed up sorry.. Mexican's all sound the same (no offense intended!!!) (A)

with the massive debt they have probley got to sell before they buy anyway,still probley got the best squad in the league anyway with no injurys.

with the massive debt they have probley got to sell before they buy anyway,still probley got the best squad in the league anyway with no injurys.
again they dont have to sell to buy. they just cant afford to overspend.

It's a shame, I was hoping for some big names arriving in England, but could just be a bluff by SAF?

Back