Man Utd v Blackpool, 22nd May 1600 GMT

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 4K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Last match day of the fantastic season, here is the preview for the game.

utdvsblackpool.jpg

Source: BBC and Ronnie

TEAM NEWS

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes, Anderson, Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra will all feature for Manchester United.

Goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, who retires after the Champions League final, will make his last Premier League appearance for the club.

Relegation-threatened Blackpool are expected to be at full strength.
Manager Ian Holloway may be tempted to stick with the team that beat Bolton, their first win since February.

PREVIEW BY MOTD COMMENTATOR GUY MOWBRAY

Never mind that the title's been won and that Manchester United's team won't be at 'full strength' ahead of the Champions League final - if you offered any of the other four teams that could go down a swap with Blackpool's final-day fixture, I'm sure they wouldn't take it.
Getting something from a visit to Old Trafford in the Premier League this season is something only West Brom have managed, and it's highly likely that Blackpool will need more than the one point the Baggies claimed in October.

United have won their last 16 at home in all competitions, haven't been beaten in 31, and the last 'weak' team they put out comfortably beat Schalke in the Champions League semi-final. Nothing to play for? The concept doesn't exist and wouldn't be entertained by the manager or anyone else at such a successful football club.

By contrast, Blackpool's 4-3 win over Bolton last weekend was their first in 11 Premier League games and they haven't won away anywhere since December. They are unbeaten in four matches, however, and those three points picked up from three draws in a row prior to last week could prove vital by the end of play Sunday.
On 22 May last year Ian Holloway's team beat Cardiff at Wembley to reach the top flight. Exactly one year on, getting the result that keeps them there would arguably be an even greater achievement. One thing's for certain with Blackpool - they'll have a go!

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Blackpool head to Old Trafford for the first time since the 1974/75 season, when both sides were in the second tier. Manchester United beat Blackpool 4-0 en route to winning the championship, and promotion back to the top flight.
  • Their last top-flight clash at Old Trafford came in 1970, a 1-1 draw. Blackpool were relegated at the end of the season.
  • The Seasiders' last victory at Manchester United was a 1-0 win in January 1962.
Man Utd

• Dimitar Berbatov has scored seven winning goals this season, more than anyone else in the league.
  • The Bulgarian is tied with Carlos Tevez on 20 goals as the league's top scorer.
  • No opposition player has scored a first-half goal at Old Trafford in the Premier League this season. The last player to do so was Chelsea's Joe Cole in April 2010.
  • Sir Alex Ferguson's side have amassed 52 points out of a possible 54 on home soil this season, and are unbeaten at Old Trafford since April 2010. A victory here would see them equal the record of 55 points at home set by Chelsea in 2005/06.
  • United have won 14 consecutive Premier League matches at Old Trafford. If they beat Blackpool it will set a Premier League record, moving one ahead of Newcastle (14) from May 1995 to February 1996.
Blackpool

• Ian Holloway was part of the QPR team that won 4-1 at Old Trafford on New Year's Day in 1992.
  • Sunday is a year to the day since Blackpool won promotion to the Premier League via their play-off final victory against Cardiff.
  • Last weekend's 4-3 defeat of Bolton was Blackpool's first victory in 11 games since February. But they are unbeaten in their last four.
  • Blackpool have conceded 74 goals this season - more than any Premier League club.
Form Guide:

OAAAANKLNRyyyijbOwXKjZTiGturTyHh8aL3GhtP4Vo93foEVeIe5Bk42PkVLWp0EM_7CViKLfFpHAW0qIA2z5q92sQAm1T1UIHOu6p0IIRePJY3BeboElvK4tdw.jpg

OAAAAE2UV4hQME4HflDfushbm07Vz6xlSEc83zX6SyUOn5Y1VkYhO1_h0l4X-eHW3HnXB9HzfBaKdWy4W4ApilNSuWMAm1T1UIwTrlSj7vzLzXTX_-E-zMVoebMs.jpg

OgAAAHBoxmeLPVS1aIjoWf8Jkj-KJZ-oCkV0DVrg_dtTwOwOvnTOLdLw1nOD4wbjmpJy3SDfyOpXi6YbKX85_b9sfUEAm1T1UFPp1DdMnn8FBEx-p2aCDTIs55r0.jpg

OAAAANs6jouNDgOrdji40rzRZdH1E8tdpZtLV4RgeBaefkNm5TCaDmyf-nlQ5x1hxOuGjgWGml6xMafTS_N_5Z76u_8Am1T1UF7P1ewMgIE29ERpolo7drj14x8f.jpg

My Take on the game: Hope we play a strong team with few reserves getting well deserved chances in the first team after a fantastic season for many young red devils. We should maintain our excellent home form and go for the win. Celebrating after winning is much more enjoyable than after losing.

Prediction: ManUtd 3- 0 Blackpool (Berba 2, Owen 1)

Last edited:
Hoping Berbatov gets some goals. Don't really want to see Tevez claiming the golden boot.
Prediction: Man Utd 3 - 1 Blackpool (Berbatov 2, Hernandez 1, and an own goal for blackpool)

It is sad knowing that this will be Edwin Van der sar's final game in the premier league. Fantastic keeper and I hope he finishes today with a clean sheet and goes on to win the champions league in his final ever appearance against Barcelona.

VDS will captain the side today. Hope he will lift the trophy with Vidic like Bruce Robson did. What a player, we will miss him for sure.. Such a brilliant player and person..

Ian Holloway was part of the QPR team that won 4-1 at Old Trafford on New Year's Day in 1992.

Yes.

:wub:

Blackpool's fighting spirit will see them come back from 1-0 down and take all the points at OT.

Hope Blackpool win, always a joy to watch them play in the Premiere League, quite nice to see a club who will have a go, no matter the stature of their opposition

Man U 3 - 1 Blackpool

Not sure of scorers but I fancy Berba for a couple. Despite Blackpool losing I think they may still stay up. Although I am a Man U fan I really do like Blackpool and they are a credit to the premier league. I hope they stay up and boring birmingham go down.

Nice OP ;)
Errm... it's going to be a draw... 0-0.

Blackpool to win 1-0 in one of the best performances we've seen from an underdog in the PL. A Charlie Adam strike in the 26th minute will seal the win, and Ian Holloway will be hailed a legend in everyone's eyes. We can dream can't we?

Sea Sea Seasiders!​

Prediction: (I had a dream...) Utd 3-1 Blackpool, Tangerines to go down (unfortunately)

i think that blackpool will take this one to stay up...mancs have nothing to play for having secured title and will preserve key players for barca match and on other side blackpool will be extremely motivated for this and will give it all. So i'd say 0-1 to pool with adam scoring penalty :D

i think that blackpool will take this one to stay up...mancs have nothing to play for having secured title and will preserve key players for barca match and on other side blackpool will be extremely motivated for this and will give it all. So i'd say 0-1 to pool with adam scoring penalty :D

To be fair we haev players playing for a place in the CL18, and preserving our home unbeaten record. Berbatov chasing the top scorer award, VDS last game and possibly scholes last game, plus the trophy presentation. United will still be fired up.

To be fair we haev players playing for a place in the CL18, and preserving our home unbeaten record. Berbatov chasing the top scorer award, VDS last game and possibly scholes last game, plus the trophy presentation. United will still be fired up.

ofc i didn't mean they will let the blackpool come and win but i can't see fergie risking injuries of key players(rooney,nani...) in such unimportant game for you(also frendship ferguson-hollooway?:D)...isn't VDS last game vs barca?

ideal result would be for us to end the season on a high but blackpool stay up. 1-0 united (berbatov) Kinda want wigan to stay up though because martinez is a good manager and i would fear for his job if they went down.

ofc i didn't mean they will let the blackpool come and win but i can't see fergie risking injuries of key players(rooney,nani...) in such unimportant game for you(also frendship ferguson-hollooway?:D)...isn't VDS last game vs barca?

This is his last OT game, and the last home crowd for him, still a good strong side playing. Much as i'd like to see blackpool stay up, i cant see a win here

Lets crush em :P Hope we win so we don't spoil the celebrations and want to get Berba to win golden boot,i remember from thread about golden boot for this season i said Head:Rooney,and heart Berba would be epic if i get it right :)

This is his last OT game, and the last home crowd for him, still a good strong side playing. Much as i'd like to see blackpool stay up, i cant see a win here

well in certain events even a draw 0:0 could do them enough i think(saving your home record,and VDS clean sheet),depending on wigan,wolves results...but we will see anyways,just hope they remain up ^^)

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Lets crush em :P Hope we win so we don't spoil the celebrations and want to get Berba to win golden boot,i remember from thread about golden boot for this season i said Head:Rooney,and heart Berba would be epic if i get it right :)

tevez deserves it more i think :P hence i would even like it if hernandez or rooney win it somehow..just not him

United XI today: Van der Sar (c), Rafael, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Park, Berbatov #mufc

Bench: Ferdinand, Owen, Rooney, Smalling, Valencia, Gibson, Lindegaard

Very strong line up...

Back