Manchester City to test financial fair play with naming rights deal

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 9K
These Arab billionaires really do love to just throw money away, these 'investments' they make end up ******* away hundreds of millions a year, although on the bright side at least they are ******* their money in our direction!

I have no sympathy for City, their wage bill alone makes feel physically sick, and and this deal stinks of brotherly love.

On an unrelated note, have any of these investments ever made a profit?

This is the sort of thing City are up to in order to beat FFP rather than 'comply':
Basically they are working out new marketing methods that have no market of prices/standards etc that UEFA can judge them on. For example, they are considering installing an internal/external electronic advertising strip along the top of the tiers inverted to the pitch/external from the stadium on the outside. They would be a continuous board which I would guess loop advertisers names as they stream across the stadium (Like train times signs at train stations), but they would be 15 foot high and would be attached as I said to the lip of the stadium.

That's one example of what the owners are considering, they could basically sign a 200 million 10 year deal with someone like Etihad/Qatar government owned company to have exclusivity to that board every home game of the year etc...

City are trying to create completely new marketing methods as a source of revenue that other clubs haven't found therefore they can argue to UEFA ''there is no precedent we have decided the market rate for them'', can see alot more of this sort of ideas coming out.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't the start of a trend, especially given while not a small amount, it's not that much to make up for the really big spenders.

Though I've nothing against Man City wanting to try to be a bigger club, the way the owners are trying to get around the FFP rules is really ******* me off. Why can't they just for the love of god just follow them like they're supposed to. If they try to find a way around them, they're just going to increase the number of people who will hate them and eventually the club. Which would be a shame.

Though I've nothing against Man City wanting to try to be a bigger club, the way the owners are trying to get around the FFP rules is really ******* me off. Why can't they just for the love of god just follow them like they're supposed to. If they try to find a way around them, they're just going to increase the number of people who will hate them and eventually the club. Which would be a shame.

i dont think they really care tbh... I mean these type of businessmen are used to getting around rules in such a way and lets be honest, most of the top businessmen in the world rarely care about earning brownie points, they are just interested in profits

i dont think they really care tbh... I mean these type of businessmen are used to getting around rules in such a way and lets be honest, most of the top businessmen in the world rarely care about earning brownie points, they are just interested in profits
True, most of them are corrupt/mean and they don't care who gets hurt or what people say about them, all they care about is their money. However, I don't see how they will make a profit with City like this, even in the long term.

I would rather a caring, unselfish owner than a rich and ruthless businessman who thinks of the club as only a profit and a bit of fun (to run it).

Read that many clubs will ask UEFA to study this deal thoroughly. I can see many clubs putting pressure on UEFA. Also Arsenal supporters trust are protesting againt this deal.

Would like to see how UEFA handles this, if this passes FFP then surely we can see more and more investments from Middle east and UEFA wont be able to prevent any owner to pump money into the club.

This may not be a popular notion but I think football in Europe could benefit from revenue sharing and salary caps, like some pro sports leagues in North America. Also following that same line of thinking if a team was to spend over the limit they would pay a tax of some sort to the other teams in the league. In the NFL in the US there is a cap and that promotes a more competitive environment where the most popular teams don't win the title every year but every team has a chance. Lets face it in the Premier league right now unless your team is Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Man City your team has virtually no chance of willing the title let alone any in continental play. Too much of the money I concentrated with too few teams

Back