Manchester United v Liverpool

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 281
  • Views Views 12K
He doesn't have a clue at the minute "my opinion", yeah I'm talking about his tactical skills in a game. why would you play your best player in four different positions's in 20 mins when needing a goal. wide left or wide right which babel or yossi could of played there. Gerrard is a central midfielder you get the best out of him in that role.

anyways guy im off to bed night all, hope everything is calmed down tomarrow :P:wub:

Gerrard was woeful today. I'd have pulled him off myself. Benitez a couple of years ago (Merseyside derby he did it) might have done it too. Understandable why he didn't today - he was spoled for choice for players underperforming.

And you really don't get the best out of Gerrard in central midfield. He played there against Wigan and was absolutely awful. He's not got the legs any more to do the box-to-box thing he did when he was younger and his passing radar goes wonky far too frequently to play a deep-lying playmaker role. Plus you lose his goals from that deep (he started scoring frequently when played 'in the hole').

Just got home from Manchester (from manchester to southend takes long enough but when your car breaks down it takes a bit longer!) and i couldn't be happier. Yes it wasn't a classic game but who cares, its 3 more points on the board and only till now i have found out Chelsea drew to Blackburn so all good for us. The atmosphere was amazing today (quite after 5 mins when the half man half girl scored) all in all, fantastic win for us today!

I don't think they are that bad. Unless you are using technology no amount of training is going to make them get every decision right especially when a lot of it is down to interpretation.:P

That's a fair point mate. And I totally agree with it. But did you notice how many Liverpool supporters predicted this before the match? I think there were three or four of us on here who all said that there'd be a dodgy penalty for Manchester United given by this particular ref. And the linesman today got it spot on, but the ref chose to ignore him, despite the linesman clearly giving a freekick and not a penalty. *shrug* Mind you, I also said that we'd score from Evra's flank again, and we did ;)

But, it's done. We lost. Looking like a struggle for fourth and a tough couple of matches ahead in the Europa League.

Benitez is too cautious. He always playing 2 DMs. That's why they had so many draws last season when they could have won the league (abomination!). I wish Spurs nick that 4th spot from them atleast they play better football, lose or win.

4 in a row. Get in! Let's make it happen..

Why Lucas starts still amazes me.

He's a good young player and our squad's stretched at the moment in terms of strength in depth? Possibly his worst performance against you lot but the past few matches between us him and Mash have dominated the midfield.

--------

Wish people would take a look at what actually goes on in the match rather than listening to Andy Gray and his 'five in midfield and one up front is a defensive tactic'.

Formations are neutral. Playing five in midfield, or two deep lying midfielders is not 'defensive' in itself. How defensive was Lucas against Lilles? Or any number of teams this season when he turns up in the channels? Liverpool are moving away from a system of play which relies upon immaculate balls being played long by a deep-lying playmaker to one where you have almost a box-to-box midfielder playing instead, with the advanced playmaker dropping back to cover him. Now if the advanced playmaker doesn't want to drop back, then the midfielder needs to limit his forward movement. Think of how wingers and fullbacks do this, only then put it to work in the middle of the pitch. That's the idea.

You lot played Park behind Rooney today in a 4-4-1-1. Only it was more like a 4-5-1 because Park's got an engine on him which meant he knackered himself actually playing two positions today. And if you look at it in closer detail, for a lot of the match you were actually 4-2-3-1. Bizarre stuff eh? Not that this is the first time Ferguson's played 4-2-3-1. I think the first time I saw him use it was against Barcelona when you lot won something. Might have been Cup Winner's Cup? When you couldn't play Schmiechel because of the furriners rule.

Liverpool were **** yesterday. The team looked knackered and played worse. And despite that, they scored an immaculately worked goal and created two more very decent chances to equalise. If Rafa's so poor as a manager, why didn't you batter us?

He's a good young player and our squad's stretched at the moment in terms of strength in depth? Possibly his worst performance against you lot but the past few matches between us him and Mash have dominated the midfield.

--------

Wish people would take a look at what actually goes on in the match rather than listening to Andy Gray and his 'five in midfield and one up front is a defensive tactic'.

Formations are neutral. Playing five in midfield, or two deep lying midfielders is not 'defensive' in itself. How defensive was Lucas against Lilles? Or any number of teams this season when he turns up in the channels? Liverpool are moving away from a system of play which relies upon immaculate balls being played long by a deep-lying playmaker to one where you have almost a box-to-box midfielder playing instead, with the advanced playmaker dropping back to cover him. Now if the advanced playmaker doesn't want to drop back, then the midfielder needs to limit his forward movement. Think of how wingers and fullbacks do this, only then put it to work in the middle of the pitch. That's the idea.

You lot played Park behind Rooney today in a 4-4-1-1. Only it was more like a 4-5-1 because Park's got an engine on him which meant he knackered himself actually playing two positions today. And if you look at it in closer detail, for a lot of the match you were actually 4-2-3-1. Bizarre stuff eh? Not that this is the first time Ferguson's played 4-2-3-1. I think the first time I saw him use it was against Barcelona when you lot won something. Might have been Cup Winner's Cup? When you couldn't play Schmiechel because of the furriners rule.

Liverpool were **** yesterday. The team looked knackered and played worse. And despite that, they scored an immaculately worked goal and created two more very decent chances to equalise. If Rafa's so poor as a manager, why didn't you batter us?
we didnt batter you becuase, bad as you were, we werent very good either. we were better than you, not by much, but enough for it to matter.

yeah we've been playing 4-2-3-1 (not constantly)for a long time now, even when we line up 4-4-2, if you watch the movement it plays 4-2-3-1. people always get that the formation is just a framework within which the players operate. for a lot of this season we've been lining up "4-5-1", but in that framework ive seen us play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1,

yesterday we started with more of a 4-1-4-1, which became 4-2-3-1, with fletcher dropping back to help carrick.

i dont think hes a poor manager, but he can be too stubborn, and his man management skills arent great

Blaming the ref for a defeat where you played **** and didn't deserve anything is pretty pathetic in my opinion......

And the united fan i think is justkituno...
Yes but Man United scrape wins you know like they were **** against Arsenal (first time) and they still got the win. Anyway Webb is quite a biased ref, 1. For the penalty incident, 2. For the Fletcher - Kuyt incident, so yeah.

You may have been the better team, but the decision was given incorrectly, which in the balance of things would have made it a draw, if the game had played out exactly the same, which it wouldn't!

the game may have turned out differently if that decision was made in the correct way. No one knows how it would have gone, but it would have been different!

So Liverpool fans have the right really to feel that they may have come out with something if that wasn't given. Giving United the momentum for the rest of the game.

which roles us on to referees being ****! again :P
*like* Basically the penalty didn't just give you a goal but gave you momentum as well.

I would agree by saying united deserved to win the game from how the game panned out!

but before the penalty was given, it was pretty much even stevens with liverpool still in the lead!

so the bad refereeing decision has affected the run of play, which is why liverpool feel aggrieved.

i know i would be!!! and have been many times in the past when its happened to me!
Exactly, well said.
EDIT: Max sorry but I just wanted to reply to some of them, other people do that as well so............... But yeah, I'll try and cut it out and sorry :(

Last edited:
Paul I know you have no bad intentions, but please stop with the mass multi quoting on every thread, it becomes slightly tedious.

Well thats a load of rubbish.:S It was like the 15th minute. We could of easily still gone on and won without the penalty.
So could of we for that matter. We have to say that it would of been a draw because you didn't score another. Otherwise, who knows, I could say we could of won 7-1.

I'm looking for no argument I'm just having my say as it seem everyone else is, but how could you say if we didn't get a penalty Liverpool would of got a point? there would of been 78 minutes left, god knows united could of even won 4-1. So the referee made one bad mistake giving a penalty does that mean that stops Liverpool playing good football or scoring goals?
Read above reply (one to 19-11-08).

we didnt batter you becuase, bad as you were, we werent very good either. we were better than you, not by much, but enough for it to matter.

yeah we've been playing 4-2-3-1 (not constantly)for a long time now, even when we line up 4-4-2, if you watch the movement it plays 4-2-3-1. people always get that the formation is just a framework within which the players operate. for a lot of this season we've been lining up "4-5-1", but in that framework ive seen us play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1,

yesterday we started with more of a 4-1-4-1, which became 4-2-3-1, with fletcher dropping back to help carrick.

i dont think hes a poor manager, but he can be too stubborn, and his man management skills arent great
Yeah. he has **** man-management skills, read this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6046978,00.html
Rafa, what a ****. You do have a point there though.

How about, we Liverpool fans just admit Webb wasn't great but wasn't terrible today and we didn't deserve to win but the penalty decision changed the game. Let's just drop the subject and admit we lost and not find so many excuses, in fact I'll edit my above post.
But to be fair, well done to United for their win, no doubt they deserved it but sometimes (unfortunately) football isn't about who deserves it but who wins it.
But I have to admit, some of the post and excuses and everything from some Liverpool fans are quite ridiculous, the only person who posted loads of facts with bias was Zebedee.

So basically,
1.Drop subject
2. Webb was a bit biased
3. No excuses
4. Penalty changed game

No more arguing or excuses. FULL STOP.

Rant over 8-|

So could of we for that matter. We have to say that it would of been a draw because you didn't score another. Otherwise, who knows, I could say we could of won 7-1.

Read above reply (one to 19-11-08).

Yeah. he has **** man-management skills, read this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6046978,00.html
Rafa, what a ****. You do have a point there though.

How about, we Liverpool fans just admit Webb wasn't great but wasn't terrible today and we didn't deserve to win but the penalty decision changed the game. Let's just drop the subject and admit we lost and not find so many excuses, in fact I'll edit my above post.
But to be fair, well done to United for their win, no doubt they deserved it but sometimes (unfortunately) football isn't about who deserves it but who wins it.
But I have to admit, some of the post and excuses and everything from some Liverpool fans are quite ridiculous, the only person who posted loads of facts with bias was Zebedee.

So basically,
1.Drop subject
2. Webb was a bit biased
3. No excuses
4. Penalty changed game

Rant over 8-|

Are you good? Are you done now? Ok.Good.

So basically,
1.Drop subject
2. Webb was a bit biased
3. No excuses
4. Penalty changed game

Rant over 8-|
To be honest this subject was dropped last night, but you came back and continued it.

To be honest this subject was dropped last night, but you came back and continued it.

But now the game has ended and the final result has come out.

A mod needs to close this thread.

i suppose if you andy gray (hates liverpool) is saying our tactic is too negative, we best change it, it's not a negative tactic, just the players he picks are often too negative. I;d have much rather seen babel, aquilani and benayoun start yesterday.

someone also said above, that when united have the ball, it's an attacking 4-3-3, but when they don't, it's pretty much a 4-5-1 with carrick and fletcher the holding midfielders, i agree completely, but becuase they have so much pace on the wings, it enables them to counter quickly (Exhibit A against arsenal) whereas liverpool with Kuyt and Maxi, lack pace.

Back