• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CJACKO11

Reaction score
Where: Old Trafford - Manchester
When: Sunday 8th May 2011. Kickoff at 16:10
Competition: Braclays Premier League round 36

Manchester United team News:
Sir Alex Ferguson was able to rest almost his entire starting XI in midweek. Perhaps four of those who started the Champions League tie against Schalke Edwin van der Sar, Valencia, Rafael and Nani would expect to be there at kick-off on Sunday afternoon. Darren Fletcher returned for a quarter of an hour for the first time since his recent illness but it is probably too soon to throw him into a match such as this.

However, Ferguson will have been alarmed at the ease with which Arsenal cut through his midfield possibly the key battleground in Sunday's match last weekend. United usually play two wide men and two central midfielders, with Wayne Rooney in a second striker role dropping deep to match numbers against teams with three in that area. On Sunday the Rooney will find himself up against a confident Mikel, who will have to deal with his attacking threat far better than Michael Essien managed on United's goal in the league at the Bridge.

Ferguson will want more presence and penetration from the jaded centre this weekend, and more from his flankers in Nani and Valencia. He is likely to recall former England captain Rio Ferdinand for the game which will be seen as a massive possitive. Nemanja Vidic, who arguably should not be available for this match following his deliberate handball in the box at the Emirates, has been sent off four times in matches when he has faced Fernando Torres.

Chelsea Team News:
The difficulty of the champions' task is mitigated by clarity, only a win will really do on Sunday, while United could settle for a draw. Should Chelsea approach this game with the same focus and execution as last season a win is a very real prospect. The Blues are the last team to win at Old Trafford in the league.

With much of his team settled during this excellent five-win run, Carlo Ancelotti's biggest decisions are at right-back and centre-back, where Branislav Ivanovic, Alex and David Luiz look to fill two slots, right midfield and upfront. With Mikel impressing again in the holding role, the energetic Ramires harshly denied a penalty against this opposition in the Champions League at Stamford Bridge is pressing to dislodge Michael Essien on the right of the middle three.

In attack the decision is whether the spearhead of Chelsea's 4-3-3 will be Fernando Torres or Didier Drogba, and whether space will be found for Saturday's match-winner Salomon Kalou. Kalou, though deeply troubled by the war in his Ivory Coast homeland, is having his best goalscoring season in a blue shirt. Drogba, though, dominates the Chelsea statistics. He is the highest-ranked Blues player in terms of shots on and off target and assists, has recovered from his bout of malaria and is bang in-form.

Manchester United Stats and Milestones:
  • United have won their last 13 home Premier League games. Since Chelsea's win at Old Trafford in April last year United have won 18 of their 19 home games. West Brom are the only team to have won a point in their 2-2 draw in October.
  • They have scored more goals at home (43) and conceded fewest (9) than any other club in the top flight.
  • Aaron Ramsey's goal for Arsenal on Sunday was United's only goal conceded in their last four Premier League games. They haven't conceded a league goal at Old Trafford since 12 February.
  • Of the 24 occasions Man Utd have scored first they have only gone on to lose twice.
  • Man Utd have scored the most goals in the Premier League - 71
  • United have won 13 points from the last possible 24.
  • No opposition player has scored a first-half goal at Old Trafford in the Premier League this season. The last player to do so was Chelsea's Joe Cole in this fixture last April.
  • John O'Shea could make his 300th start for Manchester United.
Chelsea Stats and Milestones:
  • The Blues have picked up 25 points from a possible 27, the best current form in the Barclays Premier League.
  • Chelsea have dropped only four points from winning positions this season which is the best in the Premier League.
  • Chelsea have not lost a league game this season when opening the scoring.
  • The Blues have gained 19 points from losing positions which is the third highest in the Premier League.
  • Chelsea have the meanest defence conceding 28 goals in 35 games in the Premier League this term, five fewer than Man Utd.
  • Chelsea are unbeaten in six away Premier League matches since their defeat at Wolves on 5 January.
  • No team has used fewer players in league matches this term than Chelsea's 24.
  • Nicolas Anelka's next start will be 100th for Chelsea in the Premier League.
  • If selected, Zury Zhirkov will make his 50th appearance for Chelsea.
  • Congratulations to Yossi Benayoun who celebrated his 31st birthday yesterday (Thursday).
Head to Head:
Chelsea's Premier League record at Old Trafford in full is:
1992/93 - Man Utd won 3-0
1993/94 - Chelsea won 1-0
1994/95 - Drew 0-0
1995/96 - Drew 1-1
1996/97 - Chelsea won 2-1
1997/98 - Drew 2-2
1998/99 - Drew 1-1
1999/00 - Man Utd won 3-2
2000/01 - Drew 3-3
2001/02 - Chelsea won 3-0
2002/03 - Man Utd won 2-1
2003/04 - Drew 1-1
2004/05 - Chelsea won 3-1
2005/06 - Man Utd won 1-0
2006/07 - Drew 1-1
2007/08 - Man Utd won 2-0
2008/09 - Man Utd won 3-0
2009/10 - Chelsea won 2-1

Chelsea v Manchester United in all competitions
Games played 160
Chelsea wins 44
United wins 69
Draws 47

Head to head in the League at Manchester United
Games played 68
Chelsea wins 18
United wins 27
Draws 23

Biggest league win at Man Utd for each team
Man Utd 6-0 Chelsea - 26/12/1960
Man Utd 0-4 Chelsea - 24/08/1968

Days Since:
Chelsea failed to win a league game: 35
Man United last lost at Old Trafford: 399
Arsenal won a trophy: 2,176
Liverpool won a trophy: 1,810

My Prediction:
This game is so hard to call it really is. I think Mikel is a must because he brings the best out in Lampard and will also have to sit (try) on Rooney. Drogba must start too and if things arnt going well then we should bring on both Torres and Benayoun to give us a different style of play. My score prediction on the game.
My Heart: Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
My Head: Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
Looking forward to the game because no matter what happens i didnt expect us to be in this position so im massivly proud of the lads.

Last edited:
Manchester United 2-0 Chelsea.

Most game we have done well with 2 CMs against Chelsea's 3 CMs and i expect us to do the same again.

Valencia-Carrick-Giggs-Nani should be our midfield. Actually i dont mind playing with 3 CMs, but for some reason SAF has always played 4-4-2 against Chelsea.

Referee Howard Webb has awarded penalties to Manchester United in three of the last four competitive games he has officiated at Old Trafford. United have also won the last seven Premier League matches at Old Trafford that Webb has officiated!!!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

I think its massive that we have Luiz for this game. I must admit i didnt think we would miss him that much in the CL games against Utd but i was wrong.

Can't see Chelsea winning this one, going to say 2-1 United. Really want a draw but don't see it happening.

Think it will either be 0-0 or 1-0 to Man Utd. Hopefully we play a similar side to the one that beat Chelsea a few weeks ago.

Referee Howard Webb has awarded penalties to Manchester United in three of the last four competitive games he has officiated at Old Trafford. United have also won the last seven Premier League matches at Old Trafford that Webb has officiated!!!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

I think its massive that we have Luiz for this game. I must admit i didnt think we would miss him that much in the CL games against Utd but i was wrong.

Well, we are screwed then.

Manchester United should confidently win this.

They have had the better of Chelsea so many times in recent years, and its only been poor refereeing that hs stopped them winning pretty much all the games.

Anyway, if Howard Webb is biased towards United, i'd say they deserve it given what Atkinson has done for Chelsea.

Hope Howard Webb is as effective as Atkinson..

Come on United!

I knew we'd lose to Arsenal, but I am much more confident about this game. I think it'll be 2-1, Hernandez, Owen and Lampard to score. Owen has said all season that he feels he has an important goal in him this season, I'm hoping it comes against Chelsea!

Manchester United should confidently win this.

They have had the better of Chelsea so many times in recent years, and its only been poor refereeing that hs stopped them winning pretty much all the games.

Anyway, if Howard Webb is biased towards United, i'd say they deserve it given what Atkinson has done for Chelsea.

So so wrong. Appart from Luiz not getting sent off and arguably (i dont believe it though) the foul on Zhirkov wasent a pen but that is it. I really dont see where we have been gifted so many decisions against Utd and its a joke that Fergie believes it if Utd want to believe they have been wrongfully treated against Chelsea then they only have an argument for one game (if that). And if Utd have had the better of Chelsea then they would have beaten Chelsea wouldnt they.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Another big stat here.
  • Chelsea have won the last three league matches between these sides, while United have won all three cup meetings this season (including the Community Shield).

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Hope Howard Webb is as effective as Atkinson..

Id seriously rather have Gary Neville as ref for the game than Webb. Absolute joke.

Id seriously rather have Gary Neville as ref for the game than Webb. Absolute joke.

Not worse than Mr.Atkinson as a ref at bridge..

I dont know why people post this ridiculous stuff, Webb is a top top ref. probable best in the world and thats the reason he was the ref in WC finals.

Stop with pathetic excuses before the ball is even kicked.. (Not pointing at you Jacko. Just in general)

Now you know how United fans feel after watching Atkison gift Chelsea wins for the past couple of seasons.

Wont feel any guilt whatsoever if United win through controversal decisions because Chelsea have it coming to them.

Not worse than Mr.Atkinson as a ref at bridge..

I dont know why people post this ridiculous stuff, Webb is a top top ref. probable best in the world and thats the reason he was the ref in WC finals.

Stop with pathetic excuses before the ball is even kicked.. (Not pointing at you Jacko. Just in general)

Spain and Holland would dis-agree with you view on Webb lol. I really dont see what Utd have against Atkinson, i admit Luiz should have been sent off i really do but the Zhirkov pen was a soft pen but surely a soft pen is still a pen no? The free-kick the season before was 50/50 and you can see why he gave it, Utd still had a chance to defend the free-kick and didnt.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Now you know how United fans feel after watching Atkison gift Chelsea wins for the past couple of seasons.

Wont feel any guilt whatsoever if United win through controversal decisions because Chelsea have it coming to them.

Really dont agree at all. If Utd win i would hope it was because they out classed Chelsea like Chelsea did to Utd at the Bridge this season especially in the 2nd half.

Really dont agree at all. If Utd win i would hope it was because they out classed Chelsea like Chelsea did to Utd at the Bridge this season especially in the 2nd half.

Given that they needed two goals gifted to them to beat spurs at the bridge, somehow i doubt they can outclass United at Old Trafford.

Spain and Holland would dis-agree with you view on Webb lol. I really dont see what Utd have against Atkinson, i admit Luiz should have been sent off i really do but the Zhirkov pen was a soft pen but surely a soft pen is still a pen no? The free-kick the season before was 50/50 and you can see why he gave it, Utd still had a chance to defend the free-kick and didnt..

Non existent free kick and Brown was fouled by Drogba. Now dont tell me there were 9 more players who could have defended..

Luiz should have been off and we would have easy chance playing against 10 men team..

Atkinson is a ******* joke of a ref..

And Spain will disagree with everything. Holland wont though. If anything had it been any other ref than Webb, game would have seen many red cards and completely spoiling the Main sporting even of the year.

Webb is the best ref in the league and Europe.. I cant think of anyone better.

Given that they needed two goals gifted to them to beat spurs at the bridge, somehow i doubt they can outclass United at Old Trafford.

The officials made sure the evened things up in the 2nd half dont worry about that. Its funny that knowone mentions the Spurs goal came from a throw in that was given the wrong way and we had a penalty turned down in the 2nd half too. i think you forget we outclassed Utd at OT last season in a must win game for both teams, the last team to do so.

Chelsea fans have a pretty short memory considering how the officials choked last Saturday.

Really looking forward to this one, travelling up tomorrow. Should be a great game with a great atmosphere. I'm going for a 2-1 Utd win, Rooney and Hernandez for the reds with Drogba for Chelsea.

Non existent free kick and Brown was fouled by Drogba. Now dont tell me there were 9 more players who could have defended..

Luiz should have been off and we would have easy chance playing against 10 men team..

Atkinson is a ******* joke of a ref..

And Spain will disagree with everything. Holland wont though. If anything had it been any other ref than Webb, game would have seen many red cards and completely spoiling the Main sporting even of the year.

Webb is the best ref in the league and Europe.. I cant think of anyone better.

My point is you see free-kicks given for less than that week in week out so you can see why he gave it. Chelsea had 2 players unmarked in the box so you have to fault Utds defending.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Chelsea fans have a pretty short memory considering how the officials choked last Saturday.

Really looking forward to this one, travelling up tomorrow. Should be a great game with a great atmosphere. I'm going for a 2-1 Utd win, Rooney and Hernandez for the reds with Drogba for Chelsea.

The officials made sure the evened things up in the 2nd half dont worry about that. Its funny that knowone mentions the Spurs goal came from a throw in that was given the wrong way and we had a penalty turned down in the 2nd half too. i think you forget we outclassed Utd at OT last season in a must win game for both teams, the last team to do so.

Thats all i have to say.

Back