• Draw - Replay

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aneil14life

Reaction score
Man U V. Crawley Town: FA Cup 5th round cup tie.

Venue:
Old Trafford, Manchester
How To Watch: ITV 1 4.35PM (5.15 KO), BBC Radio 5 live and text commentery.

Line-Ups:

Crawley Town: Kuipers, Hunt, McFadzean, Mills, Howell, Bulman, Torres, Gibson, Smith, McAllister, Tubbs
Subs: Not confirmed yet :)

Manchester United: Lindegaard, Rafael, Brown, O'shea, Fabio, Gibson, Carrick, Anderson, Obertan, Hernandez, Bebe
Subs: Kuszczak, Smalling, Tunnicliffe, Fletcher, Pogba, Rooney, King

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United

Defensive pair Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans have been ruled out of the FA Cup fifth-round tie because of injuries.
Ferguson has confirmed veteran striker Michael Owen will be absent for the tie after picking up a groin injury in training this week.
While winger Park Ji-sung is expected to be out of action until next month with a hamstring problem.
Second-string players Obertan, Bebe and Darren Gibson could all be handed a run out.

Crawley Town:

Scott Neilson will be absent after failing to recover from a foot injury in time for the clash.
Pablo Mills was rested for Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Wrexham but is expected to return to the starting XI at Old Trafford.
Defender John Dempster and midfielder Josh Simpson are cup-tied having played in previous rounds for Kettering and Southend respectively.

Crawley boss Steve Evans interview:

"I think that we are genuinely one of the teams that could possibly get a positive result there.
"It will just be Manchester United v Crawley Town, and as far fetched as that sounds, that's what it is.
"We settled on our team last night and we have a reasonable idea of what team they will put out.
"The fact that United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and assistant Mike Phelan came to our match on Tuesday against Wrexham maybe tells us they are treating it a bit more seriously than many people thought."

BIG-MATCH FACTS:

The tie in context
• Crawley Town could become the first non-league club to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup since the war.
• Northern League Blyth Spartans were the last club to go into the hat for the sixth round draw, when they drew their fifth round tie with Wrexham in 1978.
• Blyth are one of five non-league clubs to compete in the fifth round in the modern era. The others were Colchester (1948), Yeovil (1949), Telford United (1985) and Kidderminster Harriers (1994).

Head-to-head
• These clubs have never met previously.
FA Cup records and best performances

The clubs:

MANCHESTER UNITED
Current form
• Won five of the last six, and lost one of 14 in all competitions.
• Looking to maintain their 19-match unbeaten home sequence this season, and 22-game undefeated run at old Trafford.
• Vying for an eighth straight home win in league and cup.
FA Cup form
• Last won the competition for a record 11th time in 2004, beating Millwall in the final.
• Since then they have been losing finalists twice.
• Leeds are the only lower ranked club to win of the last 30 drawn against Manchester United in this competition. They ousted them 1-0 at Old Trafford in last season's third round.
• The last two fifth level clubs to face the Red Devils in the competition, both held their illustrious opponents to a goalless draw at home. Exeter lost the replay of the 2005 third round tie 2-0, and Burton were trounced 5-0 at Old Trafford in identical circumstances a year later.
• Swindon Town were a Southern League club when they eliminated Manchester United 1-0 away, in the first round in January 1914.

CRAWLEY TOWN
Current form
• Unbeaten in 2011.
• Won eight and drawn three of their Blue Square Bet Premier and cup fixtures since the turn of the year.
• Last defeat was away to Dartford in the FA Trophy on 14 December.
FA Cup form
• On a club record run, having disposed of Swindon, Derby and Torquay.
• This is their seventh match in this cup run.
• 28-goal leading scorer Matthew Tubbs has netted three of them in this cup run.

Replay date

Tuesday, 1 March 2011 (Kick off: 1945 GMT)

Match officials

Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)
Assistant referees: Darren Cann and Patrick Keane
Fourth official: Lee Mason

My Predicition:
I think Crawley town will have a lot of people making the travel with them, they will put up a good fight but Man united will make a slow start and be under pressure but then will come ito life and will run out 2-0 Winners, Narrow victory.

First Match Thread, Please post opinions on OP. Thanks

Last edited:
Crawley to win 1-0, Matty Tubbs with a late winner from a penalty :)

Looking forward to seeing some of the Reserves/Youngsters having a run. Think we will win 3/4-0 but I do think Crawley will give their best but I think the speed of our play will be too much for them.

I would love for Crawley to win, no not because a rival team would be out or anything, but I'm a bit of a sucker for the old small club fairytale. However, I'm going for a 2-0 Man Utd win-but have a feeling Crawley will make it pretty awkard for Man Utd. Lookin forward to watching it

Poll is now up, Vote on who you think will win :D

Manchster United of course :), or will The crawley Town fairtale carry on? Share yor thoughts.

How was my OP by the way people as this is my first.

Manchster United of course :), or will The crawley Town fairtale carry on? Share yor thoughts.

As an OP pretty much spot on for a first :)

OP was very good mate. Alot of detail involved, Just don't forget to post team line-ups when teams are announced :D, Think united will win easily enough Bebe grabbing a brace, However I'm hoping for a draw. Would be a great day for Crawley to have United return to their home ground and give them a little bit of money.

Guarentee you thing, SAF will make sure his players respect Crawley. Won't see an Anelka situation from any of his players or any sort of arrogance

Yeh i agree, i do want Man united to go to there ground just for the feeling for there players and fans, hoping tho that man utd do win there otherwise LETS JUST BATTER THEM TODAY.

i think obertan will have a good game.

and Yes, i wont forger to post team line-ups. Shall i put it as a comment or include it in the OP?

Depending on what team United field, I think they'll batter them. 4 or 5-0 to United.

Or..

2-0 Crawley (crazy guess off the week)

Voted for Crawley, I've always been a fan of the underdog, in every competition. 2-1 for Crawley, Tubbs and Torres. Chicharito with the goal for Man U (Don't even know if he's gonna play) :p.

I think all neutral & Crawley fans want Man Utd to fail, but it's not gonna happen....4-0 Man Utd win I think

As much as I want Crawley to win, the way they have approached this game just shows what an absolute joke of a club they are. "Let's field 12 men and hope they won't notice" or "The Sun will win us the match"...

3-0 United.

Manchester United 4-0 Crawley Town.

We'll start slowly and probably go in at HT being 0-0, then we'll come out in the second half all guns blazing. Get a 3 goals within 20 minutes or so, their heads will drop we'll dominate then a late goal to round it off.

Not going to predict goalscorers because the line up could be anything today.

was alright easy to read and nice little layout :)

Status
Not open for further replies.