Manchester United vs Liverpool (19/9/10)

Who'll win on Sunday?

• Manchester United

Votes: 64 62.1%
  • Liverpool FC

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
images

Manchester United vs Liverpool FC
Sunday 19th September 2010
1:30pm Kick Off
Old Trafford
Sky Sports One

England's two biggest clubs resume their famous rivarly when Roy Hodgson takes his Liverpool side across the 30 miles stretch to Old Trafford to face Sir Alex Ferguson's, Manchester United. The most watched English club game is availble on Sky Sports One/HD One and 3D.

Manchester United go in to Sundays show down after a poor result in midweek. United drew 0-0 at Old Trafford in their opening Champions League group game against Scottish giants Rangers. The game was over shaddowed by a horrific injury to United winger Antonio Valencia who broke his ankle in a challenge with Gers defender Kirk Broadfoot. United have had some good news though this morning, United's medical staff reckon Valencia could return as soon as Febuary. Liverpool will be going in to this game with some confidence after brushing Stueaua Bucharest 4-1 at Anfield last night, David N'Gog grapping himself a double. As we know though, in matchies like these, form counts for very little.

Team News

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is set to make 10 chances from the side that drew 0-0 in midweek with Rangers. Nemanja Vidic, Edwin Van der Sar and Dimitar Berbatov are all likely to return. Liverpool chief Roy Hodgson is set to bring back Fernando Torrest, captain Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson to the first XI after being rested in last nights Europa League match.

What they said?

Sir Alex Ferguson:

"I sound like a parrot but this is the fixture. There is no question about that,"

Jamie Redknapp:

"I don't care what anybody says, Manchester United against Liverpool is to my mind, the biggest game in the English calendar."

Previous 5 fixtures:

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United
Manchester United 3-0 Liverpool

Possible Starting XI

Manchester United XI:

Van der Sar
G.Neville R.Ferdinand N.Vidic P.Evra
J.S Park P.Scholes D. Fletcher Nani
W.Rooney D.Berbatov

Liverpool XI:

P.Reina
G.Johnson J. Carragher M. Skrtel P.Konchesky
M. Rodriquez S.Gerrald Lucas J.Cole M. Jovanovic
F.Torres

My Prediction

This is set to be an epic encounter between the two biggest clubs in English football. After a poor couple results for United, I am hoping we step up are game on Sunday and pull off a victory against the bitter rivals. Im going for a 2-1 win, Fernando Torres opening the scoring with Dimitar Berbatov continuing his brilliant start to the season with Wayne Rooney answering his doubters with the winner.

I'd rather see Meireles accommodate the midfield than Lucas, we look far too attacking as we have 0 holding midfielders in there.

Prediction: 1-1
Gerrard to open the scoring late in the first half, Rooney to equalize in the 89th minute.

I'd rather see Meireles accommodate the midfield than Lucas, we look far too attacking as we have 0 holding midfielders in there.

Prediction: 1-1
Gerrard to open the scoring late in the first half, Rooney to equalize in the 89th minute.

they are'nt my starting line-ups mate, they are taken from Sky Sports.com

Meireles isnt a holding midfielder is he?

Meireles isnt a holding midfielder is he?
no hes more an intellgent box to box man, along the lines of essien, or de rossi, but not as good. but hes better defensively than lucas

Very nervous about this game, Dont have the confidence I used to when watching a United match, This is a MUST win !

Personally, I think Woy will park the bus - 2 holding DMCs is a given. The City experience will have knocked any thoughts of going for a win out of his head. He'll use the Rangers model methinks.

Last edited:
fairly confident about this game, roy's recent set up actually plays into our hands, and hes just not getting the best from his side.

A hard-fought victory for the home team.

Manchester United 2 - 1 Liverpool

If ever there is a team that i never want my team lose it, its Liverpool. Biggest match in England, the history, pride, passion involved in this game in unreal. I hate Liverpool but i have massive respect for them. What i like about then is no matter how the form is they are always up for this game.

I'm bit nervous game about this one. I think Lucas will play, he was very good against Us closing down our mid fielders and double teaming and helping out his fullbacks.

Vida Vs Torres will be battle to watch. I would like Rio to mark Torres as he has good pace and covers ground pretty quick.

Players to watch.

ManUtd: Berbatov, Scholes, Nani and Rooney
Liverpool: Gerrard, Torres, Joe Cole.

0-0. Hopefully. Not confident at all, more so with the way we're playing.
Reina
Johno Carra Agger Konchesky (Unfortunately)
Maxi Merieles Gerrard Poulsen Jovanovic (To tire out the FB's)
Torres.

Edit - Cole instead of Maxi or Jovanovic. Not sure.

Vida Vs Torres will be battle to watch. I would like Rio to mark Torres as he has good pace and covers ground pretty quick.

Haha, the defenders can't choose who they mark. Torres chooses who he plays against, and he chooses Vidic because he has weaknesses Torres can exploit.

Team I'd like to see:

Reina
Johnson-Carra-Agger-Konchesky
Meireles-Lucas
Maxi-Gerrard-Cole
Torres​

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Konchesky (Unfortunately)

I reckon he's been pretty good for us so far, better than Johnson that's for sure.

Haha, the defenders can't choose who they mark. Torres chooses who he plays against, and he chooses Vidic because he has weaknesses Torres can exploit.

Team I'd like to see:

Reina
Johnson-Carra-Agger-Konchesky
Meireles-Lucas
Maxi-Gerrard-Cole
Torres​

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I reckon he's been pretty good for us so far, better than Johnson that's for sure.
I thought he done alright at Brum, but was pretty awful last night

I'm bit nervous game about this one. I think Lucas will play, he was very good against Us closing down our mid fielders and double teaming and helping out his fullbacks.

Important note: LFC is now a Mascherano-free zone; Lucas can't rely on him to chase & tackle every shirt with a Man U badge on it any more. The jury is still out on Poulsen's ability to compensate for Masch's absence. His attitude stunk at times but we are missing him badly.

Last edited:
I can see Man Utd winning this one comfortably...Liverpool's Torres is off form and their tactics leave alot to be desired

Back