MANUMAD

Reaction score
I may not post a lot on this forum but I have obsessively been playing the FM for many years. In all my time with the game Ive never even come close to getting sacked and usually manage to win a lot of trophies from the first season (such as my FM 2012 save with Bielefeld in Germany where I won everything in the first season when I was in the third division which means that I played and won the euro in my second when I was in the second division when I again won the lot).

I always wanted to start a thread to give back to the forumers who have helped me a lot without even knowing it. It took a lot of thought (ok it took all of 3 minutes:p) to decide in which part of the forum to post this (as it will feature - hopefully- stuff from team analyses to tactical discussion to players etc) and chose the FM 2013 discussion part.

I also anticipate to be able to take people's questions or to discuss them in the lines of threads such as THE ASK RAIKAN THREAD (though obviously I dont mean that I know as much about FM as RAIKAN does).

Anyway Ill start it and we' ll see how it goes.

Last edited:
The Brazilian Leagues

Why the Brazilian Leagues?

The top tier

1) Almost all the teams have the potential to challenge for honours (and almost all equally have the potential to see you fall on your face).

2) All teams have HUGE squads with very good players including a number of wonderkids and older greats. Even the low PA /* players are quite good and tend to do a very decent job at least.

3) The size of the squads means that you can really stick with a team and develop it over a number of seasons. As most teams have financial problems, the size of teams means you can balance stuff: keep some players, loan some out (or even play the quality youngsters you have) to improve them, and gradually season by season sell the rest to make some money.

4) There are a LOT of (near) wonderKIDS per team. And Im talking about people such as DORIA (cb at Botafogo), JADSON (mf at botafogo) and OTAVIO (mf at Internacional) who can be thrown at the deep end from the get go.

5) There are a LOT of very good Brazilians of various ages in ASIA (people like Bare, Enio and Ricardo Oliveira) who can be very cheap/end up being available for free as well as others who are not that expensive especially if you use instalments (look at ANDERSON MARTINS in one of the Arab leagues - 5 mil with instalments) who offer a lot. These can be utilised to make very good squads from the beginning or near that and challenge for honours. And since the finances of most clubs are precarious almost instantaneous success is perhaps the only thing that will keep you in a job.

6) You start in December and very quickly you are thrown in the State Championship of your area. Depending on your area you ll only be coming accross around 2 top tier teams (eg in my INTERNACIONAL save its Gremio and Cruzeiro) and the rest are low level crappy teams. This means that you have a number of glorified friendlies (where you can blood youngsters, develop your team with little risk) at the end of which most likely success will await. The system of the State Championships is rather convoluted. There are two groups per State of 8 teams each and you play against the other 7 but also accross with teams of the other group ending with a cup like few matches (draws when the comp turns into cup like comp are settled by penalty shootouts without extra time). Plus there are two stages: the opening and the closing stage each of which can be easily won with a top team with a little care (I basically tend to holiday through most of them when Im a top ten team). So by the time the championship proper starts you have a settled team, firing on all cylinders and ready to go.

7) There are a LOT of cheap loans both from Brazilian teams as well as from Ukrainian/Russian teams (one season 50% loans 25k fees are not unheard of for players of **** potential and v high current abilities). So you can sell players, fix your finances and do well with loans as a stop gap before you enter the South American CL (Copa Libertadores).

8) You can play around with tactics. Most teams play with a 4222 which is very narrow and winger less. So if you utilise wingers you can take advantage of this.

9) Brazilian cup also there for the taking.

10) Because of what i imply above the Championship proper can be quite challenging and the financial constraints keep things very compulsive. It is also very possible to make a team full of all the Brazilian top kids eventually that is the envy of the whole world.

Last edited:
Brazilian Top Tier Suggested teams

Internacional: A very nice mix of young players with potential and established "stars". This team will be commented upon in my next post.

Fluminense: Do you want Wellington Nem without having to buy him? Ditto Wallace at RB? Then look no further. Has reasonable finances (for Brazil) and a number of sellable players to make you around 2 mil at pre season which you can spend to bring in reinforcements. Has an association with Man Utd which means you can get South American players from them for free on loans. Is projected to finish 5th but the squad is capable of winning stuff outright with little or no further investment.

Santos: Neymar, Felipe Anderson and loads of others. Expected to finish fourth but if you know your stuff you ll run away with everything. A very easy squad to mould.

Palmeiras: Projected to finish 10th (?). More of a challenge than the other two though it has some cult heroes of mine such as Thiago Heleno at cb (in the Jan patch he's free!!).

Botafogo: Full of great players in all squads. Not so big financial issues. Clarence Seedorf

Athletico Mineiro: Very bad financial condition coupled with an extremely good squad, almost half of the good players of which are initially on loan. Ronaldinho. A challenge. Projected to finish 8th I think. BERNARD is a GOD!

And one team from the second division

Vitoria: The size and quality of the squad here is mind boggling esp bearing in mind that its a 2nd division Brazilian team! Perhaps the nicest team to develop in the whole FM13 - LOADS of class youngsters!

Last edited:
Only reason I don't like playing in the brazilian league is because you can't enter the Champions League for obvious reasons, and that to me is the main aim when I take over a Club whether it take 1 season or 10

The Brazilian Leagues - lower levels

If you want a very big challenge you must choose the Brazilian third division as its full of crappy teams which are really poor. But check their under 20s squads and you ll find a lot of players with potential. Need a lot of patience.

The second division 3/4 top teams are teams with some history, sleeping giants if you must whose place really is in the top division. Represent a challenge to put them on the road to recovery.

But the chance is there. Its not much to start with but you can have a decent go at the State Championships as, based on how they are set as I explained above, all you need is to beat other **** teams plus 1/2 good matches ...

Next post will be an analysis / suggested approach with INTERNACIONAL.

Last edited:
Only reason I don't like playing in the brazilian league is because you can't enter the Champions League for obvious reasons, and that to me is the main aim when I take over a Club whether it take 1 season or 10

I see your point. I too enjoy taking lowly teams to EUROPA LEAGUE/ CL glory. The Copa Libertadores is not the CL but is quite exciting.

Also, I find that playing at leagues I know little about (or dont know as much as the EPL, Spanish, Italian etc top tier) makes stuff more interesting gives longevity to FM.

Well Great Guide to Brazilian Leagues........Got me thinking of starting a save there.......team not decided as yet,
Btw Ganso plays for Sau Paulo i guess not santos as you have posted

Well Great Guide to Brazilian Leagues........Got me thinking of starting a save there.......team not decided as yet,
Btw Ganso plays for Sau Paulo i guess not santos as you have posted

Ta for the good words.

Correct about Ganso. My bad.

was thinking about startin a br save myself, might just do it now i have some info to go off lol

INTERNACIONAL

So here is the analysis of INTERNACIONAL as promised:

BACKGROUND / HISTORY

Year of founding: 1909
Nickname: Colorado
Legends: Dunga, Falcao, Taffarel

Finances: Says ok but in truth they are very precarious as there is 71m loan and for the first season at least very low gate receipts and other sources of money.

Prediction: 7th

City: Porto Alegre
Stadium: BEIRA RIO (56K -very decent for Brazil)
Training facilities: Top
Youth facilities: Adequate - as you have a plethora of good youths/youngsters and as this will be a source of money in future, one of your first tasks should be to ask the board for improvement. They oblige.
Junior coaching: Average - ask the board for improvement.

THE SQUAD

Comments:

1) The squad (at all three levels) is very good. If you so choose you can leave it as is or sell some players without bringing new ones and you' d still be in with a shout for honours.

2) There are a lot of good players languishing in the reserves and transfer listed and even the under 20s. So first thing you should do is to straighten things out.

3) There are a number of loaned in players all bar Jaja of which are **** and are eating wages for no reason. Terminate all loans. I d only perhaps keep Jaja but he eats up 29k in wages and you have a lot of wingers of your own to use so ...

4) Choose qualification through league as expectation which gives you 1.9m transfer kitty and, most importantly 475k wages. I say most importantly cos the club is only spending 330lk approx (and if you get rid of players I tell you you ll have even less) so with adjustment you ll have double the transfer dosh. The title challenge only gives you 2m with 475k so its not worth it.

5) Tactics: Use tactics with wingers and/or ifs. I use my own 424 overload tactics (2bbms in middle, one if one winger one wing back one rb) which beats teams into submission together with Raikan's AWESOME AMC tactic (but slightly amended through tactics/shouts).

Squad evaluation and suggestions

Id look to sell the following:

Indio - 37yo cb. Not bad but old and big salary. Sell him while you can get something for him. You can get around 160k for him.
Juan - cb. This is the well known Juan who used to play at Roma. He is perhaps your best cb stat wise but dont be fooled he's a nightmare. Initially I kept him but could never use him as he literally got injured every time I played him. When I had to restart my save as it got corrupted I shipped him out. Got 500k plus 300k appearances plus got rid of his wages.
Fabricio - wbl. This one was hard to let go. He's 25 with decent stats (low tackling though which I dont like in defenders). Is highly valued though and I wanted the expensive Wallace.
Marcos Aurelio- CF. This is another who looks pretty good. But you have a lot of forwards plus you want to give chances to wonderkids and bring in Wellington Nem. At 2.4m value he has to be the one to leave (27yo).
Maycon -DM. Another one with decent stats who I only would sell to make dosh. Would bring in around 350k.
Pablo Guinazu - Winger. He's Argentinian. You only can have 3 foreigners in squad. You have four others who are better. You still can keep him and alternate but position, age, value and stats means he has to be shipped. Will bring in around 1.4m.
Josimar- DM. Again not bad at all but I sold for money. Will bring around 300k.
Ronaldo Conceicao-cb. If you sell him as well you ll be very light at cb. Brings in around 250k. I sold him and fixed the lightness wih cheap loans.

I'd look to bring in:

Romario - RB (from Vitoria). 18yo but can play in senior team straight away. 1.2m release clause.
Wellington Nem - Winger/CF - 3.5M release clause. Buy him and he ll get the young player of the year award, scpore goals and provide numerous assists. Play him on the wings due to options you have in attack.
Doria -cb. 18o but very good stats and a rock in defence from day one. Will score goals. 525k release clause
Anderson Martins - cb (from Al-Jaish). Brilliant stats (use the find similar tab with him to see what I mean!). A rock. 5 mil. He's expensive but if you sell the players I suggest you ll be light at cb and he's a brilliant option.
Wallace- wbr(can also play on left). He 's expensive at 4.4mil release clause. You may choose not to buy him and put the team further into debt (and get a loan in instead - see below). I chose to buy him. Now my squad looks very strong and having faith in my abilities I know that if I win the lot from the first season Ill be alright.

Loan options/suggestions:

Leandro Almeida (Dynamo Kyiv) D(LC) Ln fee 35k pm
Thiago Carvalho D(C) (Cruzeiro) Ln Fee 9k pm
Fininho D/WB(L)/DM/M(C)/AM(LC) (Metalist) Ln fee 25k pm
Rafael Carioca DM (Spartac Moscow) -Ln fee 170 pm. Expensive but **** ability and great stats

Players already at the squad:

GKs: Muriel and Renan. Both are v good and in their 20s (25 and 27). Wont really ever need to touch this position. There's 4/5 more in the other squads some of which are decent and/or with potential. Loan them out to fatten them up for future money making sales.

CBs: If you sell who I suggest you ' ll be light here. Rodrigo Moledo is very good plus you can keep Bolivar as well.

WBS/FBS: Kleber and Nei are good. Need at least two more as back up. Hence Romario/Wallace/Fininho/Leandro Almeida.

DMS/CMS: Mario Bolatti. Is Argentinian so takes one of 3 allowed spaces. By far the best in this position and one of the best players in the squad. Look for Ygor, Ze Mario and Elton in your squads and you are set. Have Rafael Carioca (above) in mind.

AMC/R/L: Andres D' Alessandro (Arg). A legend. Faultless. On the wings he's deadly with assists and goals. One of the best players in Brazilian leagues. Datolo (Arg) better stats than performances but not bad at all. May look to sell in the second season. Look for Dagoberto, Thiago Humberto and Joao Paulo from the other squads (both **** and great stats) plus Wellington Nem and you are set.

ST: Leandro Damiao. Well neigh unbuyable when you re other teams. This is your chance to use him/see him in action. If you factor in the 20 odd matches you play for State Championships he ll easily score 50+ a season for you. Reason enough to choose INTERNACIONAL imho. Diego Forlan. Great. Unplayable against by most Brazilian defenders. Rafael Moura. 28yo. Was a hidden gem for me in 2012. Hasnt lost anything in this version

Two absolute wonderkids: Otavio. 16yo. Plays at amc/st (both as poacher and deep). Awesome from day one. Fred. Ditto.

Staff:

Ask the board for higher wages. Change the weaker ones (you ll know who they are). Loads of good ones to choose from. Keep Caravetta cos he's great.

One little tip:

The percentage from transfers you get is very low (I think 35%). So wait till you sell the first player and do it in a way you sell the cheapest possible one first (delay transfers of expensive players). Once you sell a cheap one ask the board for increase. Will increase it to 50%. Thank god for small mercies.

Enjoy.

Next post will be a player recommendation post.

I will deffo come back to the Brazilian leagues with an evaluation of ATLETICO MINEIRO when I start a save with them.

Last edited:
Player recommendations

As promised, here goes (players I like using):

GKs

Yann Sommer (Basel) - Low value, not expensive. Pretty decent for mid table top teams good backup for top teams.
Muriel and Renan - Both are at Internacional both are very solid
Branescu - Available for loan from Juventus. Perfect for cash strapped second tier teams

CBs

This has traditionally been a very difficult position for me to fill as I look for reasonable (12+) pace. On top of everything I play with a very high defensive line.

Rodrigo Moledo - decent stats all round. Nothing really special but never gets injured and always does a pretty decent job.
Anderson Martins. A god. Just find him and use the find similar players button to see what I mean. Yours for 5 mil (including instalments)
Adilson (based in Korea) - perfect for second tier teams.
Alexander Milosevic - A hidden gem and quite cheap (not more than 2 mil at the start). Perfect for the WBAs and Swanseas of these world (or for teams such as OLYMPIACOS in Greece).
Doria - a 16 yo monster. Does everything perfectly from day one with none of the fitness issues normally associated with young players. A steal at 525k release clause.
Christian Marrugo 250k value. Not expensive. Nice for Wigan/Espanyol type teams.
Thiago Heleno - A cult hero of mine for the third year running. AFTER JAN UPDATE AVAILABLE FREE!!!
St Strandberg - Very good stats. Cheap. Plays at DMC also.
Okore - 1.3 release. Another (not so) hidden gem.
Eric Sviatchenko - Cheap-ish and cop a load of his stats!

More to follow!

Last edited:
I played a few seasons as Santos on FM11; the only reason I didn't this year is because they sold stars like Danilo and Sandro. However, reading your post has given me the incentive to start a game in Brazil again :)

Santos, as I say above are a very nice to be in.I remember how happy I was in FM 2012 when I beat Arsenal in the final of the Team World Championship in my second season there.

Some more players:

DMS

Casemiro - will cost around 20 mil with instalments but worth every penny. Bossed the midfield for me at Man Utd.
Guido Pizarro - An amazing player for teams like Everton, ie top teams with limited funds.
Alexander Ring
Anderson (Utd) - transfel listed and can be loaned. Great.
Adil Hermach - Not cheap but not that expensive bearing in mind his stats and what he offers.
Simao Mate - (Shandong) - Can buy him for about 2mil at the start or free/1/4 that at around 31/12 first season. Is a monster.

Utility player: Vanden Borre - Free (but move fast as he uickly gets snapped up)

Last edited:
Wing backs/full backs:

Carles Planas - This youngster comes from Barcelona B. Is cheap (around 500k) and has ability as well as potential.
Wallace - 18 yo wonderkid. Good for starting line up from the get go

Wingers

Thiago Neves - another cult favourite of mine for some years now. Great stats consistently great performances
Andres D' Alessandro - No longer young and probably quite expensive (dunno never bought him but saw him at Internacional) but he is awesome.
Gio Dos Santos - Cheap. Versatile. Much better than in real life. Still only 23.
Enio (Jeonbuk - Korea) - This Brazilian guy is great for the third year running. Also very effective at centre forward, he is not young but his stats are decent (and is far from expensive) and his performances and scoring are even better. Plus he' ll give you at least 2 (if not 3) great seasons.

AM(C)/M(C)

Otavio - See the Internacional posts
Thomas Drage - 1.9M VALUE
Rainford Kalaba - Great for the second tier not bad as back up in the top tier
Felipe Anderson - 3.5 (?) release clause. A steal

Walter Murillo - 28yo. Amazing stats. Buy him!
Royston Drenthe - Free. Very decent

CFS

F. Santander - Only 23 yo, valued at 2.2 mil (and buyable at 4.5 mil with instalments) he will do great for any team and steadily improve.
Bare - Plays in Asia somewhere. Valued around 500k and becomes free around first Xmas, he might be 31 but his stats and performances make him a very decent alternative to players costing 10 times as much. Has 2 good seasons in him.
Ricardo Oliveira - Same as Bare.

Last edited:
You bought a football manager simulation ... So go ahead and manage!!!

This is the first of many (hopefully) posts on tactics:

Do you think that in real life football teams adopt a couple of tactics which they rigidly employ every match?

Do you think in real time teams start football matches with a specific tactic which they dont change no matter what?

Do you think in real life football managers dont plan ahead, train players with future matches/targets in mind?

Do you think in real life managers/clubs provide their players with no psychological support?

The answer to all of the above (should be) is negative. And so it is in the new FM 2013. The new game encourages players to be reactive and proactive if they want to succeed. Every decision you take while playing it seems to have an impact, and quickly. Countless of times I found myself scoring loads from set pieces after focussing on them in training.

Also - its not inadvisable having your players learn 3 tactics. But read your scout's report about apponents, look at how your opponent is set up against you once the match starts (have their formation permanently on display) and react to it. For example lets say you play a 442 formation or a 4231 formation the former with wingers the latter with a combination of a winger and IF. If you are facing an opponent with wing backs (eg 352/343 formation) what do you do? Turn the IFs into wingers, instruct the wingers to hug the line and/or press the wing backs (perhaps coupled with instructions to your fullbacks to overlap) and, logically, you will find your team time and again exploiting the space behind the wing backs. This is just an example of being reactive. Use shouts, change individual instructions etc.

And another tip: the most important stat for most positions (except perhaps dm and dlp) is pace. Even pacy cbs are very useful (pacey here means at least 12/3). If you look to construct a pacy team you will see them creating much more ccc and being tighter at the back. So always look for players with pace.

The calendar training screen is very easy to navigate and allows you to plan ahead. So look at it and always plan one month ahead according to commitments and, also, re vist it every 15 days for modification. Of you have an assman with good tactical knowledge look at what he tells you during matches regarding future preparation and heed it.

Also - talk to your players. Praise good individual performances and castigate bad ones. Work on pre match and post match talks - eg you are the better team: pre match general talk I expect a win, individual talk to players who last game played well "I expect the same", positional talk I have faith. Half time drawing: assertive/aggressive general talk Im disappointed and positional talks I have faith (and if you are missing too many chances: disappointed with your finishing.

Generally speaking - use your heads!!!

Any questions you have /issues you want to raise Id be glad to discuss!

An update on INTERNACIONAL etc

Ive got more players to share with you (but I need to go home first to look at my "database") but before that I thought Id tell you a bit more about INTERNACIONAL (and maybe the Brazilian leagues).

Im done with season one (won open and close of State Championships - not that difficult for the reasons I explained above, as well as the League proper -which is quite tricky to achieve again for the reasons I explained above, but I did it unbeaten with LEANDRO DAMIAO scoring 56 (!) goals. I had a couple of defeats in the cup including in the final but as cup games are in two legs on both occasions I managed to turn things round in the second leg).

After all this success my transfer budged (title challenge) was 975k :O! With that I even had difficulty in loaning in players of the quality I needed. So I had to sell a lot of players that were decent for sums ranging from 150k to 800k plus RAFAEL MOURA (CF who is a great player but I have two 4 1/2 star potential CFs with jaw dropping stats and only 16 yo so I plan to use them in his place) for 2.1m and KLEBER (decent wbl/r who is getting on a bit -is 32- and again I plan to use a couple of players from my other squads plus I loaned in SANTOS from ARSENAL for 40k pm).

With the money I made I bought THIAGO HELENO from PALMEIRAS (4.5 mil with instalments) at cb as I only had 3 players in that position.

Since Im only getting back 50% from transfer money I managed to have a better squad and make money for the club in my fight to keep the administrators at bay and this is where one of the advantages of the BRAZILIAN leagues helped me: the fact that all teams seem to have a huge amount of players most of whom are quite good.

I am however stuck with FORLAN who may be quite good but has only 10 pace which I dont like but also he eats up 39k of wages.

In my season I noticed that NAUTICO (a team predicted to finish in the last places) finished fourth and they were second for most of the season. I looked at their squad and it looks very inviting and the general characteristics of the club looks like it will be quite a challenge trying to win stuff with them from the first season.

After I do a MONACO save I might give them a go.

THE END OF NACIONAL THE START OF SOMETHING NEW

Barely in my second season with NACIONAL the save got corrupted due to no fault of mine. This was the second time I had this in FM2013. :'( Its hardbraking and if it happens a couple more times I may consider giving up playing (and for somebody who devotes a lot of time in every version of the game for the past 10 years at least its a big statement. SI should really look into it.

Anyway the purpose of my post is something else entirely. Having changed my preferences to have a three save rolling thingy every day (too flippin slow but Im terrified) I started a MONACO save.

The squad is better than a lot of the top tier teams with a number of wonderkids (OCAMPOS!) and you are given ample wages and 13m transfer kitty.

I went crazy and I bought a frightening amount of good players (even non EU ones who cant play in Ligue 2 in the expectation that Ill fly into Ligue 1 without braking sweat).

All in all I bought:

GK Lindner (from RAPID WIEN and as an afterthought as the gks already at MONACO are all rather ****).
FULL BACK: Boenisch, Vanden Borre (both free), Planas
CB/DM: Kara, Strandberg, Doria
CM: Yttegard Jensen, Diskerud, Adryan
WINGER: Wellington Nem
Winger/CF: Kweuke, Danalache

Ill do an analysis of MONACO after I make a post on more player recommendations, maybe.

Plus I want to say a bit more on tactics.

Last edited:
im deff. enjoying this, shall be starting a cruzeiro save very shortly ;)

Miscellaneous

1) I know Ive been promising more players for ever, so as a taster have a look at:

Caktas - very young Croatian AM/CM with lots of potential and not v expensive. Great for the Swansea type teams of the world.

Aldo Corzo

2) On tactics:

Unless you pay attention to what you are doing this game will bite you on the ****:

a) Being MONACO I was playing against Auxerre at home who are much worse than me. Played extremely attacking (overload) 424 tactics. Raced to 5-0 within 30 mins and ended the half leading 5-1. At half time I passionately told them to keep it up and only changed tactics slightly by using the pass to feet shout. I turned the match off (from "extended" to "only commentary). Before I knew it I was leading 5-4 and by the time I turned match back on and tried to vary my tactics the momentum was lost and I lost 5-6:'(. What I should have done:

i. Assertive tone keep it up. Positional talk: expect more.
ii. Changed my tactics by at least turning the philosophy from attacking to control (but really using a 451 tactic with a dm/anchor man and perhaps narrower would have been best).
iii. Not switched off match. At most changed it to key ...

Stuff such as this keep happening on every level - eg when I properly scout opponents (two different scouts producing reports) and noting what they say and react to them I tend to win etc. Also MONACO have a pretty strong squad to start with and I bought a lot of amazing players but:

i. I have big problems with team cohesion (and due to the many languages spoken). No matter how much I focus train it i feel that the first season will continue to be a struggle cos of this.

ii. Thinking that my squad would end up being much better than other squads in Ligue 1 let alone Ligue 2 (it did) and that therefore would walk the league I did not improve the weakest position, goalkeeper. The result is that im struggling and leaking in goals.

So yes, this version is quite shocking as its quite demanding and tiring but I dont think its damaged as some people claim. As I say elsewhere its a simulation game so it simulates!

Last edited:
Some players as promised:

CB: Diego Angelo (Brazilian based in Turkey). Becomes free in Jan first season. Has awesome stats.
MC: Federico Carini. Good for all top tier teams. Usually free Jan first season.
DM: Izunna Uzochukwu. Perfect for second tier.
ST: Chibuike. Not bad at all. Scandinavia is a treasure trove of players in FM 2013DM:d
DM: Adil Hermach
Winger: Nacer Chadli. Not expensive and performs better than his not bad at all stats
D (C/L), WB(L), M(L), AM(L): Laurens De Bock. Belgian 20 yo utility player. Has very good marking and tackling stats which is rare for wbs who also play in midfield. Valued 325k can buy him between 1.2-2mil. A steal.

Last edited: