Particular scenario: Tactical discussion

The scenario:

You are MONACO. You have by far the best squad in Ligue 2. Your starting line up is very strong and includes players such as KARA, YTTEGARD JENSEN, WELLINGTON NEM and KWEUKE. You start the game using a defensive 4231 tactic (Raikan's Awesome AMC (?) slightly amended. Your opponents are AUXERRE, a team much weaker than yours (both on paper and according to the prematch analysis thingy). You play at home. Within half an hour you race to a 5-0. The first half finishes 5-1.

The tactics employ a DLP and a BWM in midfield but closer to the 3 players in front of them than to the four defenders. Full backs also used rather than wing backs.

Ill tell you what I did as part of the discussion but for the record know that I ended up losing 5-6:O

1) What do you tell the players at half time?
2) If within the first 5 minutes the score becomes 5-3 what do you do to stem the flow cut the momentum against you?

Tell players happy with the peformance

Tell the players to waste time, switch to contain if it becomes 5-4 and change wingers to wide midifielders with a DM

But I'd be raging if i lost after leading 5-1 at half time.

Tell players happy with the peformance

Tell the players to waste time, switch to contain if it becomes 5-4 and change wingers to wide midifielders with a DM

But I'd be raging if i lost after leading 5-1 at half time.

1) I was livid, never mind raging.
2) I told players happy with performance keep it up and positional not bad can do better.
3) I didnt tell them to waste time. Afraid to do that before the 40th and 85th minutes.
4) I:
a) Told them to play narrower and pass to feet.
b) Put the BWM in front of the back 4 and turned him into an anchor man.
c) Turned the DLP into a DMC and pulled the amc back and turned him into a DLP.
d) Their formation mirrored mine so I told my players to tackle hard/show on weak foot/ close down always their AMC and ST.

And I still lost:(

Any other ideas?

How (not) to rotate

In an attempt to resurrect this thread let me give you my thoughts on squad rotation:

1) The 2013 version of the game seems to be far more influenced by stuff like team cohesion and morale than previous ones so always bear that in mind.
2) Never play both your second choice cbs together even against (much) lower standard teams. Rather rotate one at a time.
3) Never play your second choice gk behind a fully rotated/new cb set up/partnership unless he's extremely good (tho I wouldnt even do that).
4) Whatever you do with training your second choice players are unlikely to be match fit. So bear in mind that they will tire much quicker than your first choice players. So overall dont make too drastic changes.
5) If you play a single attacker formation think twice of playing a young cf there suddenly. Either work him in via other 2+ attackers formations or make sure you employ experienced/first choice wingers/ esp ifs.

Like everything its a question of balance and knowing THAT THE GAME IS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE LIFE VERY DIFFICULT FOR YOU making cup games especially unpredictably difficult (by your opponents raising their game etc). So never think "here's a team of donkeys Ill obliterate them come what may" cos you ll be unpleasantly surprised.

Now for some player suggestions (as always I strive to suggest players who are not widely known):

Djebbour (Olympiacos) - cf. Not cheap and not young (hes 29) but he will score goals . Perfect for the WBAS, Hoffenheims, Genoas of this world.
Maniatis - cm/rw (a near wonderkid). Plays at Olympiacos and is much better than his decent stats would suggest.
Abdun/Machado - Wingers at Olympiacos. See comments on Djebbour.

Diego Angelo - cb . Brazilian. Plays in Turkey. Awesome stats and much cheaper than similar stats players.

Joaozinho rw - He's been a favourite of mine for 3 years now. In 2013 he's even better. Plays at Krasnodar. Transfer/Loan listed second season. Just bought him for 5k (!!!!!!!!!!) in my second season with NAUTICO. Very reasonable wages.

Laurens De Bock - wb(l) Young. Not expensive. V good.

Some more Brazilians:

Kieza -cf. Young free scoring beast.
Rogerinho - aml/c A legend for me at NAUTICO. Won player of the year first season.
Rogerio - cf. V young. Only available second season. Very recommended.
Rhayner -am(c) - Young, good stats ***1/2 stars recommendation

Also - lemme give a shout to Mr Langvatn: ****** AWESOME TACTICS MATE, thanks!

See also a player called DAKSON. He was dirt cheap in the previous version (cost something like 150) and played much better than his average stats would suggest. This version he's got better stats and is more expensive (but not really expensive) and plays at VASCO.

Very good on the wings with 15 pace.

Im finally in a position to share with you my player database (or at least most of it). It contains not only players I have found and/or used but also players other people on this forum or indeed elsewhere have recommended.

Hopefully the database will continue to be amended/bolstered by new players that I/u find or recommend.

PLAYER DATABASE - GOALKEEPERS

V. Enyeama - Not expensive. A legend for at least 3 FM versions
Itumeleng Khune - V Cheap for what he offers.
Yann Sommer - Ppl recommend him, I dont much like him.
Sinan Bolat - ditto
Fernando Prass
Muriel
Gideao
C. Gordon (free - v solid)
Branescu- Available to loan. Good as back up to start with.
F. Monetti
O. Bandura - Ukrainian so good for the Ukrainian leagues. But not only
C. Cudicini - Good back up for a couple of seasons for cash strapped teams
S. Frey. Much cheaper than what he offers.
O. Kivrak
A. Consigli
D. Ospina
G. Muslera- Reassuringly expensive :)
S. Ruffier- V. Recommended
Jefferson (Botafogo)

CBs next

I small suggestion.

Try to stay away from the following colours as it makes it really hard to read.

PLAYER DATABASE - CBS

S. Xulu - Buy him and watch his value shoot up.
S. Toro - Poor teams could do much worse than this guy.
Anderson Martins - A personal favourite (awesome)
Douglas (Br) (Twente)
Diego Angelo - Another favourite of mine
Neuton- Only buyable second season
Stefan Strandberd - Also DM. Extremely cheap but the equal if not better than ppl costing 10 times as much
Almeback
E. Sviatchenko
Alex Milosevich
J. Okore (1.5 release)
Doria (525k release)- He may be v young but he's a starting XI player from the get go.
Rhodolfo
Dede - At 25+m his a luxury item but a v good one.
Rever - Ppl recommen him. I dont like his 11 pace.
Rafael Toloi
Thiago Heleno
Adilson (very recommended for the lower leagues)
Gabriel Mercado
L. Galeano
R. Donk
Leandro Almeida (dl also)- Loan listed usually
Eder Baiano - for second tier or lower
S. Sangweni
C. Zaccardo (also dr)- extremely recommended despite age.

More soon ...

Player database (continued) CBS

Kjaer
Ogbonna (a bit overpriced if you factor in the 9 pace)
Douglas (Twente)
G. Burdisso
M. Cahais (this guy is awesome - much better than his decent stats would suggest).
R. Albiol -transfer/loan listed and therefore a steal
Dede - Vasco. The Rolls Royce of defenders. If you have money to spend (waste? at the price) then he's your man. Ive used him and frankly he doesnt offer that much more than the Karas and Strandbergs of this world.
Lombaerts
A. Papadopoulos (injured for 4 months at the start)
Aldeweireld
Yanga Mbiwa
Dankler (Vitoria)
Gabriel Paulista (Vitoria)
Rodrigo Mancha

Player database (continued) LB/RBs

LBs

S. Boenisch (free) - also rb
C. Planas
Laurens De Bock
Patric- very recommended
Wallace - 5.4mil (i think) release clause
Ricardinho (Malmo) - quite cheap
Jorge Ribeiro (free)
Jung (Frankfurt)
J. Willems (young and potential and current ability more than decent)
Tsepo Masilela - cheap
Fininho (loan/transfer listed) - in leagues such as Russia/ukraine/brazil he's a god. Great utility player also as he can play at dm, lw as well.
Emerson (1m release clause)- Used him in my Nautico save. Started as back up quickly made the lb position his own
O. Volovyk
Gaetan Bong
Leo (Vitoria) - **** potential and good ability
F. Retamal - 18yo. Surprisingly good stats for age. 4* potential
J. Olsson - a bit too exp .
Gonul

RBs

S. Vrsaljko (also lb)
Corchia (also lb)
C Solly
Fabio (also lb - loan second season)
F. Monzon - a god
Romario (Vitoria) - also lb/rw
Aldo Corzo
Gino Peruzzi
Torosidis - v recommended
Nino Paraiba
Mansur (Vitoria) 4.5* potential

PLEASE NOTE THAT IM STRIVING TO INCLUDE PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT THAT WELL KNOWN ONLY. THE FEW WELL KNOWN PLAYERS I INCLUDE ARE PERSONAL FAVES.

CMs and DMs soon(?) to follow.

Great thread. An informative read.

I hope I'm correct in assuming you are the Manumad, the lma legend.

Great thread. An informative read.

I hope I'm correct in assuming you are the Manumad, the lma legend.

At last! Someone from my past ... Indeed I am mate; I still fondly remember my rivalry with HEFFA for world domination. I even had a thread with exactly the same title in the LMA forum!

Player Database DMs

Simao - Plays at Shandong. Costs less than 3 mil and is better than players costing 10 times as much. Can also play as dlp/cm
Kara - everybody raves for him. They are right
Guido Pizarro - Young, cheap, always performs.
Casemiro - not cheap but well worthwhile for the big teams.
Andile Jali - Great utility player
Podstawski
Arouca - not as good as in previous versions but still quite good.
A. Hermach
Vanden Borre - Great stats, multi-position player. Free.
Nainggolan - Actually from Thailand originally! Amazingly the opposite of ****.
Crisetig - dont see the point in him frankly but ppl like him
Emre Can - ditto
Alexander Ring - v recommended
Taras Stepanenko - Awesome
Claudemir (FC Kopenhagen) - Decent for cash strapped teams
Christian Obodo - Free. Great for low tier.
Anderson (UTD) - loan/transfer listed hence an absolute steal
Juicilei - Very recommended. Expensive but sometimes eventually available for reasonable price.
Sebastian Martinez
Tachtsidis - A ******* to buy as he s co-owned
Rodrigo Mancha
Uelliton (Vitoria)
Michel (Vitoria)

Tactical scenario - facing a team playing with wing backs

You are about to play against a team playing wing backs (such as a 343 or variables), what do you do?

My hunch was to have my wingers man mark the wing backs and use the "look for overlap". But after I did this for 45 minutes to no noticeable effect I reverted to my original tactic and scraped a 1-0 victory. But I have found wing back tactics to be as difficult to break down as the narrow diamond formation so Im looking for a way to beat it comfortably.

In the circumstances Im wondering whether i was not successful because:

1) My solution merely messed up my usual formation/tactics.
2) My wingers are not really defensive in the mould of eg PARK JI SUNG.
3) It was a new approach that my players were not aware of.
4) Merely using the look for overlap shout is not enuff; you have to do it with player instructions.

So?.... Any ideas?

I was an avid fan and follower of your box of choccys etc. Haha. Happy days.

Back to topic. Simao dm, superb, 3mil for my Wolfsburg. In building my team around him. Just bout to start my second season he's valued at 7mil. U wouldn't sell him for double that.b

Your wing back question interests me. I'm no tactician, but all is fairly new to me. I may be way off, my personal approach would be to avoid them. Pack my midfield, retain possession, drop deeper, 4 at the back, tall fbs with defend duty. Draw them on to me. Hit them on the break.

Maybe not the best approach, possible suicide. But for the first time im trying to think like a tactician. You live and learn.

I was an avid fan and follower of your box of choccys etc. Haha. Happy days.

Back to topic. Simao dm, superb, 3mil for my Wolfsburg. In building my team around him. Just bout to start my second season he's valued at 7mil. U wouldn't sell him for double that.b

Your wing back question interests me. I'm no tactician, but all is fairly new to me. I may be way off, my personal approach would be to avoid them. Pack my midfield, retain possession, drop deeper, 4 at the back, tall fbs with defend duty. Draw them on to me. Hit them on the break.

Maybe not the best approach, possible suicide. But for the first time im trying to think like a tactician. You live and learn.

1) Im very happy I finally meet again one of the LMAers!
2) Your comments about how to deal with wing backs are v interesting - Only thing is my question was more HOW DOES ONE EXPLOIT THE OPPOSITION USING WING BACKS. My suggested approach which did not (appear to) work is based on how they are exploited in real life (hence the NAPOLI real world formation using sometimes two cbs and a sweeper to avoid the cbs getting overrun). For what its worth it worked on LMA as well. Dunno if anybody is actually reading this thread but come on people if you are LET US HEAR YOUR IDEAS!
3) Are you saying you got SIMAO cos I recommended him?