I did indeed (simao). Hadnt touched fm for a while, but got the urge, but before diving in, I had a browse on fmbase and behold found box of sweets. Was so tempted to go for Brazil but decided to attempt European domination with Wolfsburg.

Not the easiest believe me, the club is so financially insecure its unreal, they lose on average 3-4 million a month. So I spent my first season clearing out high earners, building for the future and balancing the books. I managed 5th, was a challenge. Olic, naldo, Diego, all gone.

Club got took over, took out 2 loans. I've slashed my wage bill by more then half. Its bow at 680k pw.

Anyway, during the season I did employ wingbacks a lot. More to do with having 3 at the back and being hard to beat. It worked, but I didn't get my fb's to play as I would have liked. My right wing back, fagner is superb, has all the right stats and is a solid performer. I'm still working on getting him to rule the right wing. So I hope someone has a few tips. I've tried all sorts, I maybe tinkering too much.

So sorry forthe double post.

But I had to share this. After a very trial and error pre season. Played opener against hannover. I lined very much napoli-esqu. 3 at the back, with libero, wing backs set to attack. 2 cm's, one dlp, other bwm Both defend. An am behind the front 2.

The game was over in 19 mins. 4-0. My wingbacks dominated. Both got an assist, fagner would have won mom with his 9 rating if it wasn't for r.jonsson's hat trick. Maybe should scored more, but I was more then happy to play the game out.

I think my success here was my shouts. I begin with a wide combo. - play out of defence, pass into space, play wider, exploit Flanks, look for overlap.

So sorry forthe double post.

But I had to share this. After a very trial and error pre season. Played opener against hannover. I lined very much napoli-esqu. 3 at the back, with libero, wing backs set to attack. 2 cm's, one dlp, other bwm Both defend. An am behind the front 2.

The game was over in 19 mins. 4-0. My wingbacks dominated. Both got an assist, fagner would have won mom with his 9 rating if it wasn't for r.jonsson's hat trick. Maybe should scored more, but I was more then happy to play the game out.

I think my success here was my shouts. I begin with a wide combo. - play out of defence, pass into space, play wider, exploit Flanks, look for overlap.

1) Glad I could be of help with SIMAO.
2) Your tactics with WOLFSBURG are based on a 12412 formation with a sweeper and an amc?
3) Weird thing (unless I misunderstand the shout) is "look for overlap" should not work with wing backs. Dont you need full backs overlapping wingers for it?
4) Its all very interesting. Ive been trying a 31222 (3cbs, 1 anchorman, one cm automatic, one cm support, one if attack, one winger support, a dlf and a poacher with OVERLOAD approach) and unsurprisingly been getting a lot of 2-2s and 3-3s. I had a brilliant 424 overload tactic in FM 2012 and Ive made a pretty successful similar one in the current version but its unreliable and Im looking for the holy grail with OVERLOAD since ...

........sw.........
......CB.CB......
WB............WB
.....CM.CM......
........AM.........
......CF.CF.......

I hope that looks right. It can be a joy to watch. On the attack my wingbacks are level with the am and my dlf drops back. So I have 4 behind my poacher, various passing options. And I still have 5 men behind.

I will do away with the look for overlap, and see if anything changes. It slipped my mind, it was there as its in one of my pre made shout combos.

Beat bayern 2-0, had a 1-1 with schalke (I had ten men for 60mins) 3-0 at promoted hertha Berlin. Very good start, but I've been brought back down to earth after a 3-0 defeat to freiburg. I feel I got to confident.

Overall I like it. Im going to stick with my wingbacks and keep tinkering with this tatic.

It seems to work wonders against a flat 4-4-2, less effective against an attacking 4-2-3-1. I'm guessing the wingers have a lot of freedom when my wingbacks are so far up the pitch. Any ideas?

........sw.........
......CB.CB......
WB............WB
.....CM.CM......
........AM.........
......CF.CF.......

I hope that looks right. It can be a joy to watch. On the attack my wingbacks are level with the am and my dlf drops back. So I have 4 behind my poacher, various passing options. And I still have 5 men behind.

I will do away with the look for overlap, and see if anything changes. It slipped my mind, it was there as its in one of my pre made shout combos.

Beat bayern 2-0, had a 1-1 with schalke (I had ten men for 60mins) 3-0 at promoted hertha Berlin. Very good start, but I've been brought back down to earth after a 3-0 defeat to freiburg. I feel I got to confident.

Overall I like it. Im going to stick with my wingbacks and keep tinkering with this tatic.

It seems to work wonders against a flat 4-4-2, less effective against an attacking 4-2-3-1. I'm guessing the wingers have a lot of freedom when my wingbacks are so far up the pitch. Any ideas?

1) I used exactly the same formation in FM 2011 with Napoli and then West Ham. To very good effect. My tactics are also similar. I may start a Fiorentina save and try to build something similar for this version but Ive still got my VITORIA save to get thru (brilliant - walked the Brazilian Second Division and won the Brazilian Cup with very little difficulty. I have a big and quality squad and healthy finances and currently top of the first division having won the COPA LIBERTADORES) plus for the past week Ive been struggling to start a ROSEMBORG save as well as an ARGENTINIAN team save (started with Newell's but its ridiculous as they have a very unbalanced squad and are already 35k wages in the red which you can do very little about as the two highest earners are needed if you are to win stuff and ensure progress - I may give up and try San Lorenzo/Arsenal De Sarandi.

I remember that my version of the formation was with COUNTER. What does yours use? STANDARD?

2) Look for Mr Langvatn's tactics/threads. I took 3 of his tactics and have tweaked them and they work nearly perfectly.

Standard it was. Had a weekend of tweaking and playing around with my 5.3.2. Just haven't quite got it. defensively sound. Good possession but chances where few. After 20+ games I was in a healthy 4th but was the lowest scoring side in the top 10. As it was looking a 3 way battle with me Dortmund and Hamburg for 3,4,5 I had to adjust with goals being my aim. A 4-5-1. it worked I got 3rd. So my wingback tactic has been saved fr another day.

Loaded up Brazil had a goods look. I will be attempting a Brazilian save. Your vitoria is a great shout to. I couldn't believe the quality of players in the second teams. And the depth also.

So aboutt to start my 3rd season. I need a striker. An all-rounder who can finish.

I haven't done Brazil, but I have done a Chilean file which I thoroughly loved. Paying such low wages and achieving great continental success was one of the best things I've done in FM. I haven't re-visiited it in FM13 yet, but this is more motivation.

Don't suppose you know what the 'worst' possible team in the Brazilian league is? Would perhaps attempt to do 'Brazilian Hero' achievement.

I haven't done Brazil, but I have done a Chilean file which I thoroughly loved. Paying such low wages and achieving great continental success was one of the best things I've done in FM. I haven't re-visiited it in FM13 yet, but this is more motivation.

Don't suppose you know what the 'worst' possible team in the Brazilian league is? Would perhaps attempt to do 'Brazilian Hero' achievement.

1) Thinking of venturing into chilean leagues for the first time ever. What team do you recommend other than COLO COLO (which in Greek means **** **** btw:$).

2) Worse team in BRAZIL? That would really be a challenge. Chances are that would be the team projected to finish last in Brazilian 3rd division.

Ill mention him as part of my database (when I get round to continuing it) but he deserves a special mention:

IGNACIO "NACHO" SCOCCO - He s on loan to Newell's first season but he's awesome. Kill to get him second season. AMC/RW/ST.

Player Database CMs

Adryan - 850k. He wont join every team but he ll join most. Gets better but can be utilised from the start.
Otavio. Brilliant but expensive
Bressan - very underrated
Felipe Anderson. Buyout clause 3.2mil. A steal tho he s not as good as in previous versions.
Vitinho (Botafogo)
Diskerud - free and a bit raw for top tier teams
O. Hiljemark
Andrijasevic (low pace)
Uzochukwu (perfect for the championship and similar levels)
F. Carini
Tinga
Caktas
Shimdt (875k release)
Maniatis - an unsung hero
Rainford Kalaba

More to follow

Player database - AM: C/L/R and wingers

Dakson- Cheap. Pacy. Effective. V. Useful. Rightfootet
Joaozinho - Plies his trade at KRASNODAR in Russia. Extremely good. Valued at 6.7 mil but sometimes available free second/third season. Plays on either wing/at acm
Rogerinho (Nautico)- Only used him in Brazil where he's an absolute god. Won player of the year 3 times in a row
Elkeson
Nathan Dyer- One of the best wingers in the game
Thiago Neves - R/Winger. Brill
Daniel Weiss - Another winger
Ronaldinho- free January. Has one brill and a couple more decent seasons in him.
Tchabalala
Nana Asare. Left footed. Recommended.
Elyounoussi
Dzagoev- If you move quickly you ll get him for free In Jan
Thomas Drage- Young and v cheap (around 400k) provided you do the following. Offer around 500k and keep raising till you are told they want upwards of a million for him. Withdraw. Come back for him in a couple of weeks.
Adam Hlousek - AMC/ST. Recommended.
Sydney Sam. left footed. Recommended.
Gio Dos Santos- Much better than in real life.
T. Meunier
Takashi Inui - AM L/C. Very recommended.
Wiljan Pluim M/AMC - Free. Good for lower leagues.
Pohjanpalo- Young. Excellent for lower leagues
Rafael Carioca. Extremely useful utility player. Available for LOAN.
Andres D' Alessandro- Not a spring chicken but believe me he's worth it. Awesome. Scores a mean free kick also.
Leonardo - Plies his trade at Jeonbuk. AMR. Valued at 2m
Enio- Jeonbuk. Very cheap for what he offers. Very good for the Real Sociedads of this world.
Fernandinho (Al Jazira). AM/M - L/C
Josip Illicic- Left footed.
Matheus. AMC/L. 1.8mil release clause.
Muralha - is mainly a DM. 875K release.
Adryan - Everybody knows him right? 825 release.
Hiroshi Kiyotake - Recommended
Diego Souza (Al Ittihad) AM(L)/ST. Very recommended.
Zezinho - four star potential. 20 yo. Much better than his stats would indicate.
Marquinhos (Vitoria)- Very recommended
Leilson (Vitoria) - MC/AM (R/L/C). Young. Very recommended.
Arthur Maia
Willie (Vitoria) ****1/2 potential
Sperdutti - Very recommended
Ignacio Scocco - AWESOME
L. Vangioni - Great

More to come

Player database: More AMS/Wingers

Dario Conca - Not young. Expensive. A lot of wages. But well worth it. A beast
Thiago Neves - One of the best wingers on the game.
Murillo (sp) - Plays at Cruzeiro. Check those stats! He's yours for around 14 mil. Well worth it
Teko Modise
Amine Chermiti
Jadson (Botafogo)
Valdivia (Palmeiras)
Danny (Zenit)
Y. Belhanda
Tchabalala
Griezmann (clause 24 mil I think)
Diogo Rincon (Free) - Very useful for cash strapped teams or leagues (such as Norway, Serbia etc). Scores a decent amount of goals.

Now something else. My love affair with the Brazilian leagues continues. I cant recommend VITORIA enough.

Just finished season 2. By keeping my squad intact from the first season plus returning loanees and selling a number of players as the squad is huge and bringin in quality oldies on frees (Bare, Mota at AMC/ST, Ronaldinho) and some loans l.almeida (cb/dl), Fininho, Wellington (Sao Paulo) I managed to win everything: Local Championship, league (15 points from Santos at second), Copa Libertadores, Brazilian Cup - even Club World Cup beating Real Madrid:O 1-0 in the final.

But it was the one save Ive had so far that all the planning before matches and during pre season seemed to be worth it, the one save where almost every match I won felt a real VICTORY. Dunno if ill continue it as I only play FM 2013 to win stuff and when I do I start new saves and I started a TIGRE save I want to continue. Ill have a look at the budget ill be given and decide but really if people want a nice challenge, in an exotic league, with a team bursting with young talent then VITORIA is it!

Player Database - A mixture of players

Before I return with cfs, let me post some more recommendations:

Ruben (Rafael Souza Ferreira) LB - Cheap, good stats
Juan Sanchez Mino LB - Bit of a wonderkid. 700k price
Alonso LB - Free. Perfect for *** leagues
Leandro Freitas CB - 100k price. Perfect for second tier and *** leagues
M. Peybernes CB - 2.5M
Noe Pamarot CB/RB/LB - Free. Perfect for the lower leagues (brill for Championship teams)
G. Sorondo CB - If he comes, very good lower league option. Has v low pace.
Evson DMC - Free. Cash strapped? Need a dmc (backup)? Check this guy out!
David Simao AMC. 450k price
Ayoze AM L/R - Free. Recommended

Want a bit of a challenge? Go to Argentina and choose any team below "predicted to finish 6th"/any 2nd div team.

Almost all teams have small squads (or at least a small number of decent players) and are in a financial mess. Add to that the fact that its very difficult to generate income even if you win stuff and you have a pretty hard (but enjoyable) job.

Recommended teams:

Newell's (****** difficult to play beyond the first season)
Tigre
Arsenal De Sarandi (the more balanced option)

Or

Rosario in the 2nd division

Ridiculous

I dunno if its the new patch (I started the save before it is released) and Ive noticed that in FM 2013 the better you do the more the game tries to sabotage you but in my Tigre save the following occurred:

1) Very little money available and no wages. So struggled to wheel and deal and ended up with a small squad.
2) Kept getting players injured and red carded. At any given moment I had 4/5 players injured which in a small squad is nightmarish.
3) As I kept winning stuff through the season despite the above my match schedule was getting progressively more ridiculous and I ended up playing as follows (when I was leading the league with games in hand):

Semi Copa libertadores. One day free. Third to last league match. One day free. Second to last league match. Next day Copa Argentina final first match. Two days later Last league match. One day later Semi Copa Libertadores.

It may not have been exactly like this as its from memory but I counted and had 5 matches in 8 days!!!!

4) Having won all there was to win with Tigre I had all my loaned players return to their club but got no wage or transfer budget increase so I was left with about 9 players in my first squad (not having renewed the contracts of a couple of high earning oldies) and the non paying loans were generally **** so I was forced to give up the save! I may return to it but the whole thing is quite annoying especially the schedulling which I cant really face again with a weaker and smaller squad ...

Simplest way to make a world beating team

As it says on the tin there is one "simple" way of assembling a winning team on FM (2013): look for pace.

If you construct a squad (start by starting XI and work "outwards") with having quick players your aim you can start being successful very quickly:

a) Look at your existing squad noting the pacy players. Pacy players are relative to their position - anything over 14 is pacy for cbs and dms/cms (though Id take 13 if other stats are good), at least 15 for wing backs etc. I know that eg deep lying forwards dont need pace but I rarely accept low pace attackers whatever their position. Same goes for playmakers etc.

b) Sell low pace players and replace them with pacy players.

c) Tactics are important but I find that a quick unit (team) overcomes most tactical flaws.

Player database - Forwards

Jan Chramosta - Decent but not for top teams and cant be your main source of goals
Vossen - Not as good as last version. But good backup
Kieza - An unsung gem. Though like his fellow Brazilian FW he tends to score in bursts. Plus he s more expensive.
Rogerio
R. Oliveira. Free very early in the game. Perfect for teams with no money.
Bare. Even better than R. Oliveira. Similar price/"freeness"
Oribe Peralta - Check the stats on this guy!
D. Quintero. Not the god he was last version but still decent.
Velikonja - Very good for *** leagues
Kweuke - Battering ram of a forward
Ademilson -5.25m clause. Good but prepare to be driven up the wall first season.
Libor Lozak - 1.8m clause makes him best FW in the game
H. Barcos - Recommended
Hugo - See comments for Bare above
Adriano - Flamengo but free January. Has 2 brill seasons in him as DLF
Jayiyia - Still low finishing. Still quite good
Mbaye Niang - Loan for *** leagues
Rodrigo - SLB Very expensive but brilliant
F. Santander - Great for 2nd year running. Most of the times free second season. Young and high potential. Goal machine depending on league

More soon

Started a new save with the team my Ukrainian gf supports: Shaktar, earlier today.

The amount of talented young(ish) players they have is unreal! But that's not the purpose of this thread. A number of their good players are farmed out at Shaktar 3 (a different team but part of the same set up - something like Castilla with Real Madrid) which makes me think that its probable that they would be available for cut prices (Ilsinho and Hubschman are already known and usually transfer listed at the beginning) but there's also people like DENTINHO ...

Brilliant Squad Made Up of little known players

Pending more players from my player database, I have compiled an XI with one alternative player per position made up of people who are mainly not young (mostly over 26) and are generally "unsung" in this forum which in a "fantasy football" save (as per the LMA Manager at PS template) would be world beaters:

GK: V. Enyeama/G.Ochoa

LB: Vanden Borre/Laurens De Bock
RB: Boenisch/Torosidis

CB: Anderson Martins/S. Xulu
CB: Cahais/ Diego Angelo

LW/AML: Andres D' Alessandro/Joaozinho
RW/AMR:Walter Montillo/Thiago Neves

DM: Rafael Carioca/ Bolatti

CM/AM: Dario Conca/Ignacio Scocco

FW: Urruti/Danalache
FW: Bare/ Kieza