mario's tactical domination 3-4-2-1 xmas tree winning CL and dominating league!

ignore any testing table this formation is awesome, defensively it is incredible, sometimes lacks goals but overall an awesome tactic

Looks interesting, I've been looking to try out something a bit different to the usual 4-2-3-1 but I have one question. Isn't it difficult to find suitable wing backs? I've noticed that there is a lack of natural wing backs in the game so I've avoided using tactics that feature them. Do you just train your full backs to that position or what?

Looks interesting, I've been looking to try out something a bit different to the usual 4-2-3-1 but I have one question. Isn't it difficult to find suitable wing backs? I've noticed that there is a lack of natural wing backs in the game so I've avoided using tactics that feature them. Do you just train your full backs to that position or what?

In my experience with this tactic as I previously said I have found that the more attacking the player the better, I even think Bale would be an oustanding wing back for this formation

ignore any testing table this formation is awesome, defensively it is incredible, sometimes lacks goals but overall an awesome tactic

i know i made it ;D i am just asking because i want to see for myself how it did, i didnt know the tactic was included in any tests.

View attachment 355959im just using the attacking version on LFCMarshalls update going great Mitroglu has 14 goals in 13 games but is out for 3 months at the moment other than that love it

This is the best tactic I have used in FM14. It has just won me the premier league title with Newcastle in the first season.

View attachment 355664

My only issue is that I conceded quite a lot of goals from corners so I will probably make same edits to the set pieces. Other than that though, this tactic has been fantastic for me. Thank you for sharing, mariosharp. Hopefully it will work just a well in the second season!

In my experience with this tactic as I previously said I have found that the more attacking the player the better, I even think Bale would be an oustanding wing back for this formation

You may have a point there. My wing backs have been getting forward a lot, even scoring a few goals. It's almost like they are full out wingers at times.

Last edited:
My only issue is that I conceded quite a lot of goals from corners so I will probably make same edits to the set pieces. Other than that though, this tactic has been fantastic for me. Thank you for sharing, mariosharp. Hopefully it will work just a well in the second season!

oh really. the corner set up in the tactic i have had extremely strong results with defensively. what sort of corner goals are you letting in, can it be a problem with the players?
Because as it stands the front post has a player posted and the rest of the team is there to attack the ball if it comes into their zone. while you have a player on the ready to snap the lose ball et edge of box.

oh really. the corner set up in the tactic i have had extremely strong results with defensively. what sort of corner goals are you letting in, can it be a problem with the players?
Because as it stands the front post has a player posted and the rest of the team is there to attack the ball if it comes into their zone. while you have a player on the ready to snap the lose ball et edge of box.

Hmm, mostly low corners that lead to the opposition scoring a volley or easy tap in. High corners are usually dealt with better. I don't think it's an issue with my players because I've been using this tactic in my new PSG save and I had the same problem. Speaking of my PSG save, I had great success once again with this tactic (won treble):

View attachment 352897

I also reached the semi final of the Champions League where I drew with Real Madrid but was eliminated due to away goals which isn't a bad result at all. I was kind of expecting them to beat me by 2-3 goals. It's a shame this thread isn't getting a lot of attention because this is definitely one of my favourite tactics.

Edit: Forgot to say that I made one change to the tactic. I added the 'Work Ball Into Box' team instruction because I noticed that a lot of my shots were off target and my players were wasting too many chances.

Last edited:
Hmm, mostly low corners that lead to the opposition scoring a volley or easy tap in. High corners are usually dealt with better. I don't think it's an issue with my players because I've been using this tactic in my new PSG save and I had the same problem. Speaking of my PSG save, I had great success once again with this tactic (won treble):

View attachment 651455

I also reached the semi final of the Champions League where I drew with Real Madrid but was eliminated due to away goals which isn't a bad result at all. I was kind of expecting them to beat me by 2-3 goals. It's a shame this thread isn't getting a lot of attention because this is definitely one of my favourite tactics.

Edit: Forgot to say that I made one change to the tactic. I added the 'Work Ball Into Box' team instruction because I noticed that a lot of my shots were off target and my players were wasting too many chances.

How well is Work Into The Box doing for you?

How well is Work Into The Box doing for you?

Seems to be working pretty good, even though I do still have more shots off target than would like... but I guess there's not anything more I can do about it.

I'm about half way through my second season with PSG, and so far I've only lost three times and drew once, every other game I won and in most of my wins, I also kept a clean sheet.

View attachment 352043

The Marseille loss at the start of the season was awful but other than that, things are going well. I have been able to strengthen my squad quite a lot due to massive transfer funds that have been made available to me, but I am still pleased with these results.

Last edited:
I just switched my front 3 players to shoot less and I found a lot less wasteful chances

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try. I think it's at least worth removing shoot more often from the attacking midfielders because they waste way too many chances.

I just found I had around 20 shots but only 7 on target = pointless shots

excellent tactics switched one of the AM's to a forward target man who gets bags of assists and goals. Playing as Aberystwyth in my second season nearly managed an unbeaten season domestically only getting beaten twice right at the end of the season by of course TNS once in the league and once in the premier league cup final. But still won the league and the Welsh cup. Made it to the third qualifying round of the champions league this year and was unlucky to be knocked out the Europa league playoff by Villareal.

excellent tactics switched one of the AM's to a forward target man who gets bags of assists and goals. Playing as Aberystwyth in my second season nearly managed an unbeaten season domestically only getting beaten twice right at the end of the season by of course TNS once in the league and once in the premier league cup final. But still won the league and the Welsh cup. Made it to the third qualifying round of the champions league this year and was unlucky to be knocked out the Europa league playoff by Villareal.

What Instructions did you give to your Target Man?