Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
Sky Sports Breaking News: Aston Villa Manager Martin O'Neill resigns with immediate effect

Martin-O%27Neill.gif

Aston Villa Website said:
Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice

Full story here: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/ClubNewsDetail/0,,10265~2116445,00.html
Sky Sports article: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6303051,00.html
Villa looking for replacements article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8899765.stm

Opinions, Villa fans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a soft spot for Villa as my Mum used to come from Birmingham. Been expecting it for a while tbh

Billy I choose your thread of the three :P

Crazy stuff will be down to money no doubt and probably due to possible sales of Young and Milner

how many threads have we got on this now?

If this is true, then well.

Not good news. At all.

Wow, wasn't expecting this the week before the season starts.

Got to be because of Milner.

Milner's on his way out, no doubt.

I was clueless untill i saw the three threads didnt expect that . They are losing a decent manager tho

It is currently all over Twitter, and pretty much everywhere else on the web.

I live 2 miles from Villa Park, my family support Aston Vile and they are shocked, some Villa fans were expecting it earlier in the summer but certainly not now.
There are no managers around to take over that club, especially if the chairman wont spend money.
Milner on his way out too, how many more clubs.. who may be interested in Ashley Young & co now may come in for players.. It could spell bad times!!

Kevin MacDonald has been given the caretaker role and will take charge of the game this weekend.

Shocker!!!! Celtic will be gutted they never waited and got O'Neil instead of Lennon.

Who does everyone think will be the next manager?

i could kind of see this happening, big shame looks like as if he had enough of the club with the milner saga.

****** timing to quit but I suppose its all about Milner being sold.

I am surprised by this. I think it will be because of similar circumstances to Curbishley resigning from West Ham a couple of season's back...

i though it was someones story till three threads immediately appeared. I put to you that slaven bilic will take over...

but seriously WTF? I cant see the sole reason being milner, but its part of the bigger picture of not having the funds to compete

This is a shame. He always seemed very passionate about the club but the chairman always seems very keen to sell players if a big offer comes in, which is what I'm guessing is the problem. Hope he finds a job at another decent Premier League team soon. If Mancini has a bad start to the season I certainly wouldnt mind O'Neill replacing him..

how many threads have we got on this now?

It's hardly a crime m8 -- they all came through at the same time so others didn't show up in the preview window. There were no others there when I pressed submit.

Be interesting to see what he does now and whether it's the beginning of the end of the squad he built up? Worrying few weeks for Villa fans.

Back