Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
BBC report...

What's he doing? How many good jobs are there available in the top divisions at the moment? Could Celtic be an option if they sack Lennon (CL failure etc.)? Didn't Milner also say that he never told O'Neill he wanted to leave and didn't hand in a request, but Martin O'Neill made it up? Having said that, it must be so frustrating for him, and Villa having so many good players (Barry, Milner, Young?, Agbonlahor?) and bigger clubs just rinsing them of their players, inclduing City tapping them up (Barry, Milner) - I don't think O'Neill has made the right decision if this is entirely him.

This is a sad day for us Villa fans - We're going to bring in some **** like Steve McClaren aren't we..

A) He's quite good.

B) He's signed for Wolfsburg.

Other possibles: Southgate, Curbishley, Zola.

This is a sad day for us Villa fans - We're going to bring in some **** like Steve McClaren aren't we..

Mclaren has just become Wolfsburg manager. If Lerner is trying to save cash then he aint going to pay the compensation required.

Grow up? My own opinion.. I didn't ask for yours..

I don't care.. I don't like McClaren, don't go off topic, you're a admin or mod or whatever, you should know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like Villa are in loads of debt and yet Lerner always seems keen to sell his big players if they get a big offer in and then doesnt give O'Neill much money to bring in a replacement.
it sounds like he is a very prudent man, and milner is an amibtious manager, they were bound to collide sooner or later

also last time i saw figures (june 2009), villa were 73 million in debt. hoping godcubed or a villa fan can shed some light on that for me

So this is the second time that a Milner sale has (at least partially) influenced a resignation

I think Zola might get the job Or Bob Bradley because of the American connection

I don't care.. I don't like McClaren, don't go off topic, you're a admin or mod or whatever, you should know.

I am also a *******.

and no-one asked for yours, but on an internet Forum, people express there opinions, so dunc expressed his, with out saying "I didnt want to hear yours"

So again Grow Up

Lerner was fed up of Martin O'Neill wasting money on players who he doesn't play. Obviously, O'Neill was told he wouldn't get the Milner money, so he walked.

Think O'Neil is being a little unfair, I don't know all the facts but Lerner has splashed the cash in recent years on the likes of Ashely Young, Reo Coker, Cuellar, Collins, Downing, Milner and Curtis Davies and Villa haven't been able to get into the top four which they've been aiming for the past few seasons. Lerner obviously realised that he doesn't think that a top four finish is possible now and can't maintain the spending of the current seasons. I doubt he's seen a return on his investment the past few seasons and has decided that he will take back some of the money from the Milner transfer which is completely understandable if I put myself in his shoes.

it sounds like he is a very prudent man, and milner is an amibtious manager, they were bound to collide sooner or later

also last time i saw figures (june 2009), villa were 73 million in debt. hoping godcubed or a villa fan can shed some light on that for me

How are they in that much debt and yet can afford to give their shirt sponsorship to a chartiy? I would be very suprised if it is that much given they dont seem to spend much money and have been in the Europa League for the last few years under O'Neill.

I also ignored that you said Milner is an ambitious manager. ;) Not sure which way roud you meant it. About O'Neill or Milner.

Last edited:

We reduced it slightly, but its still around 70 mil. This isn't a surprise, of course, most premier league clubs are in debt for a number of different reasons. 70 mil isn't actually that bad, considering.

Think O'Neil is being a little unfair, I don't know all the facts but Lerner has splashed the cash in recent years on the likes of Ashely Young, Reo Coker, Cuellar, Collins, Downing, Milner and Curtis Davies and Villa haven't been able to get into the top four which they've been aiming for the past few seasons. Lerner obviously realised that he doesn't think that a top four finish is possible now and can't maintain the spending of the current seasons. I doubt he's seen a return on his investment the past few seasons and has decided that he will take back some of the money from the Milner transfer which is completely understandable if I put myself in his shoes.

^This, slightly.

How are they in that much debt and yet can afford to give their shirt sponsorship to a chartiy? I would be very suprised if it is that much given they dont seem to spend much money and have been in the Europa League for the last few years under O'Neill.

We're too nice for our own good, it seems. It's a stupid idea, letting Acorns sponsor us.

Last edited:

Calling someone a **** is not just stating an opinion, but being obnoxious.

And I wasn't off topic, I was stating the reasons why he wouldn't go to Villa.

Although, I have now gone off topic, if that is what you were hoping to achieve.

At first I thought this was another new story :P I was shocked that its true

Aston Villa: Summary of finances as of June 3 2009

Milner is an ambitious manager?? (6)

Villa finance summary:
Aston Villa
Turnover (£M) 75.6
Wages (£M) 50.4
Debt (£M) 73

LINK: Premier League list of finances

Aston Villa are ninth in the season's list of clubs by turnover 8-|

Last edited:

Spent quite a bit under O'Neil if you look at the signings, especially signing English players which is very expensive.

He is probably the third/fourth best manager in prem after Moyes, Ferguson & Hodgsen. Big loss for villa. Must be because of lack of funds and future sale of Milner

"I am also a *******."

Scott, me grow up? That is childish.

Back