Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
Klinsmann would be a very poor decision - there's a reason why he's out of management. It's the same reason why Hoddle is.

Eriksson would be an insane choice - he needs heavy financial backing, and he's not going to get that.

Bob Bradley might be a good call (yeah, easy because of Lerner - but genuinely think that he could work with the squad he'd have there plus his position as US coach/manager is currently being 'reviewed' as his contract runs out at the end of this year).
and watching the us brazil game last night [wonderful game by the way, brazil jus toyed their way through] seems a fair amount are calling for bradley to be replaced by klinnsman, so the odds on bradley look good

In my opinion MON has had spent tons on his squad for very little return, Lerner is no oil billionaire who doesn't care about the cash, he will be looking to make a profit no matter how small and constant spending isn't going to help the club, O'Neill was obviously demanding to get the money from the Milner deal, but Lerner just cannot afford to allow it, personally I think O'Neil is being a bit selfish, either that or using this whole saga as an excuse to walk after coming to the conclusion he is facing an uphill battle that has just got steeper. He is a good manager, I'd love to see him back at Celtic but he cannot perform miracles, not only that but some of his purchases have been questionable at best. There is obviously a lot of **** going on behind the scenes Villa and it seems for once it's not the American's fault.

Last edited:
I have been thinking, and I would LOVE David Moyes to go to villa :D

Spending a relative fortune (3rd highest spenders behind City and Spurs recently?) and consistently not getting into the top 4 in spite of jibbing Europe?

Interesting thing about Gregory is that Deadly Doug wasn't a big spender, so he was operating under a fairly tight budget and kicked up a stink about it regularly. And he finished pretty much in the same band as Martin O'Neill has so 'brilliantly' guided Villa to as well as taking them to their first FA Cup final for a good few decades.

*shrug*

Just interesting that perceptions are so different depending on whether or not a manager has a good relationship with the press. Neither are 'stellar' managers, but likewise both have done a decent job. Yet Martin O'Neill gets a very different reputation. Just asking is it really deserved. (As with many managers).

I think Martin O'Neill is a better manager. Villa have hardly spent a fortune compared to all the clubs that finished above us last season. Our squad was also pretty poor, O'Neill pretty much bought our defence last summer. Also, the league is much tougher now, at least 8 teams have a chance at getting in the top 4. That wouldn't have happened a few seasons ago. Not only that but Villa finished 16th the season before he joined. So 11th and then three 6th place finishes is quite an achievement. By the way Villa last went to the final in 2000, so not quite a 'few good decades'.

I have been thinking, and I would LOVE David Moyes to go to villa :D

I think he already ruled that out :( Shame for you then.

I think Martin O'Neill is a better manager. Villa have hardly spent a fortune compared to all the clubs that finished above us last season. Our squad was also pretty poor, O'Neill pretty much bought our defence last summer. Also, the league is much tougher now, at least 8 teams have a chance at getting in the top 4. That wouldn't have happened a few seasons ago. Not only that but Villa finished 16th the season before he joined. So 11th and then three 6th place finishes is quite an achievement. By the way Villa last went to the final in 2000, so not quite a 'few good decades'.

Yeah, the FA Cup final under Gregory. First for 40 years. Sorry was late and sometimes I'm not as clear as I should be. Not saying that O'Neill isn't a decent manager, just questioning some of the OTT media responses. League's never been easy, but you guys have been the third highest spenders and you have kind of stalled at sixth. Take your point about teams spending more etc. but there's always been competition since the money first went into the game - whether Blackburn, Chelsea, Newcastle, Mancs, us etc.

-----

madsheep - anyone who calls for Klinsmann to be anything other than a figurehead should be beaten with sticks. (A)

Back