Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
Stay on topic, no need for any Liverpool chat in this thread.
Are you really a clown because my cousins birthday is coming up, sorry about the Liverpool chat by the way and she's also a girl so you can't like touch her....never mind...

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Personally I have no idea he will replace Martin O'Neill..

But that post was to do with Liverpool hatred...This is about Villa and O'Neil, not Liverpool hatred, so please, take it elsewere.

Gareth Southgate? I thought that he was always a decent manager, one that knows Villa?

Personally, I believe that Southgate would be a terrible appointment. He's unproven at best, didn't do much of note while at Boro and seemed to have them coming back up, but surely Villa should be looking higher? Bob Bradley would be an excellent choice.

Why doesn't it surprise me that the first declaration of interest came from Sven?

I think Southgate would be the worst appointment possible. He doesn't have the previous experience/success. If Villa want to be aiming for top 4, then we're going to need a top manager.

Lets be realistic, The clubs hes been at since Lazio, would be very hard to win something with, for example

England- Lets be realistic, we are not close to winning everything, he did a good job with us getting us to the quarters of everything, which is about where we belong

Man City- Not really gonna exactly win anything, the squad when he was manager wasnt very strong, but he did sign some very good players and he did the double over Man Utd

Mexico- This was a slight fail, though he did have a 50 percent win ratio

Ivory Coast- Only took this job as a favour to a friend, not a bad record, almost got them out of the so called "group of death"
No offence or anything but you are very biased to Man City linked people. At Lazio, he received massive backing from the board, a lot of money to spend. Portugal should of been beaten, their team was nowhere near as good as England's, arguably. At Man City, he was given quite a bit to spend, although he had to sell. Rolando Bianchi was a massive failure. With Mexico, you call 50% a slight fail? He lost 4-1 to Argentina, 1-0 to Chile, 1-0 to Jamaica and Honduras, drew with Canada, lost to Columbia, etc... With Ivory Coast, he was quite good, except he got battered by Brazil, which is kinda understandable. Also, after Lazio, his average win ration was only about 39. His England win rate was 59.7 while Capello's is 67.8 and he's considered a failure? Source of results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_national_football_team_schedule_and_results

Seriously? :S
Definitely, Hodgson guided Fulham away from relegation, into the Europa League and then into the Final. He revived Fulham from the brink of relegation, hopefully he can revive Liverpool from administration/downfall!

I honestly think they will get Curbishley, not many good managers on the market available on a free at the moment and Sven's agent is touted him out like ***** so I don't think many clubs want him and if Lerner wants to cut costs, he's hardly the ideal candidate. I doubt they will get Martin Jol because we got told to pay 10 million or stick and once again, Lerner won't fork out such a sum.

I think that Sven will soon announce that it is his dream to manage villa :P

Very bad timing for villa, i think that southgate will get the job and could do an okay job but really villa have overachieved with MON imo, if only he had resigned before Lennon got the celtic job, no offense to Lennon but he is no MON.

Seriously? :S

Most people in the country would rather Hodgson than O Neill, MON is the most over-rated English manager I have seen in a long time. I would have hunted down H&G if they had appointed him at Liverpool.

On topic - Bilic, Klinsmann or Bradley it should be.

Most people in the country would rather Hodgson than O Neill, MON is the most over-rated English manager I have seen in a long time. I would have hunted down H&G if they had appointed him at Liverpool.

He isnt english ;)

The Star reports That Villa Want Everton Boss David Moyes
Daily-Star-Sport-Page_2485772.jpg

Hmm, like Moyes would quit Everton for Villa. Still, if he did, I'd be happy.

Pfft, he wouldn't leave Everton to come to Villa. If he did, I would wet myself.

Here's one.

Forest to get promoted this season, Davies to get sacked and O'Neill to take over.

Forest legend! Doubt anything like that would ever happen though.

If Gareth Southgate gets the job, Villa fans will go mental. Me being one of them.. whatever you think of him as a manger, Villa fans despise him, he left for Middlesborough and said he's 'going to a bigger club?'

Klinsmann would be a very poor decision - there's a reason why he's out of management. It's the same reason why Hoddle is.

Eriksson would be an insane choice - he needs heavy financial backing, and he's not going to get that.

Bob Bradley might be a good call (yeah, easy because of Lerner - but genuinely think that he could work with the squad he'd have there plus his position as US coach/manager is currently being 'reviewed' as his contract runs out at the end of this year).

Whoever said Liverpool play route one football is a bit of an idiot. Last season we played far from route one football. Not saying it was great football but we certainly pass short rather than direct. And yeah I would rate Hodgson above O'Neill, I'm not saying it because Hodgson is here either. Before Hodgson came I said I'd prefer him to O'Neill. Obviously I would of preferred Rafa to stay but that's going totally away from the conversation.

I think Bilic or Bradley would be the best choice for Villa. Although they are a bit unproven when it comes to club football, they're both good managers and good motivators which is what Villa need. I'm sure they'd be better appointments than Southgate or Klinsmann!

Last edited:

Coming from the team with Woy in it ;)

Fun facts for the day:

Martin O'Neill
Played: 190 Won: 80 Drawn: 60 Lost: 50

John Gregory
Played: 190 Won: 82 Drawn: 52 Lost: 58

John Gregory chronically under-rated? Or Martin O'Neill vastly over-rated? Gregory's best finish was 2nd in the league, O'Neill never went above 6th. Odd one.

edit: actually was it Gregory who finished second with Villa? My memory's wrecked by too much herbal remedies. But their league finishes aren't that different are they?

Last edited:
Fun facts for the day:

Martin O'Neill
Played: 190 Won: 80 Drawn: 60 Lost: 50

John Gregory
Played: 190 Won: 82 Drawn: 52 Lost: 58

John Gregory chronically under-rated? Or Martin O'Neill vastly over-rated? Gregory's best finish was 2nd in the league, O'Neill never went above 6th. Odd one.

them Stats are all great and stuff zeb. but what about consistent finishs?

Also a vastly dfferent league now to then. Would Gregory finish 2nd today with Villa.

them Stats are all great and stuff zeb. but what about consistent finishs?

Also a vastly dfferent league now to then. Would Gregory finish 2nd today with Villa.

Spending a relative fortune (3rd highest spenders behind City and Spurs recently?) and consistently not getting into the top 4 in spite of jibbing Europe?

Interesting thing about Gregory is that Deadly Doug wasn't a big spender, so he was operating under a fairly tight budget and kicked up a stink about it regularly. And he finished pretty much in the same band as Martin O'Neill has so 'brilliantly' guided Villa to as well as taking them to their first FA Cup final for a good few decades.

*shrug*

Just interesting that perceptions are so different depending on whether or not a manager has a good relationship with the press. Neither are 'stellar' managers, but likewise both have done a decent job. Yet Martin O'Neill gets a very different reputation. Just asking is it really deserved. (As with many managers).

Back