Matt419 - Manager Story (Basically a Man Utd Career)

Matt419

Reaction score
Hey guys! Some of you may no me, some of you may not Anyway, this is gonna be my first real foray into a manager story. I'm ot going to be some famous ex-player going into management, and it's not going to be a sole Manchester United career. This is just going to be me playing as I would. I aim to stay at United for my whole career, but if I get sacked then I will continue this as I find a new club. I will also try my hand at international management (hopefully for England) a few seasons in.

Like I said, I am just going to be playing this career how I would. The only difference is that I'm sharing it with you guys. Anyway, without further ado lets meet the team.

View attachment 218703View attachment 218702

I do like the current United squad. For the most part/ There are a few players who I don't really like (Fellaini and Valencia mainly) who I will be looking to sell, and Rooney has never been good for me on FM so he may not last long. However, I cannot wait to use the likes of Martial, Memphis, Mata and Herrera, as well as a few exciting players I buy in the transfer window, who you will discover in my first update.

One last thing before I go. I'll be doing monthly updates. Also, because I got so excited to be playing FM16, I forgot to take a screenshot of the league table for a while, so the first time you will see the league table will be at the end of the October update.

I will be back later today, and hope you check back. We have a very exciting August. We have transfers, an opening day home game against Liverpool (it's actually the very first game of the whole Premier League season :D), as well as games against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Premier League 2015/2016 Season Opening Day

United face Liverpool at 12.45pm on the opening day of the Premier League season, and my first competitive game in charge. So I thought I'd use a format I've seen done by other people on here for big games, where they basically go through the whole game. Oh, just a quick heads up. Because I only decided to do this after I'd played the game, I forgot to take a picture of the formations before we went into the game, so the only picture of the formation that I can take now has the score along the top... Apologies for this, I'll have to type the lineups out manually. Also, one signing in here that I'd already made in the form of Jan Vertonghen, £35m from Spurs. Anyway, I shall stop talking and get onto the game!
th

Manchester United Lineup

4-2-3-1

1. David De Gea (GK)
36. Matteo Darmian (RB)
12. Chris Smalling (CB)
6. Jan Vertonghen (CB)
23. Luke Shaw (LB)
31. Bastian Schweinsteiger (CM)
21. Ander Herrera (CM)
25. Antonio Valencia (RW)
7. Memphis Depay (LW)
8. Juan Mata (CAM)
10. Wayne Rooney (ST)

Liverpool Lineup

4-2-3-1

22. Simon Mignolet (GK)
2. Nathaniel Clyne (RB)
37. Martin Skrtel (CB)
17. Mamadou Sakho (CB)
18 Alberto Moreno (LB)
7. James Milner (CM)
24. Joe Allen (CM)
20. Adam Lallana (RW)
10. Phillipe Coutinho (LW)
11. Roberto Firmino (CAM)
9. Christian Benteke (ST)

Game

4th Min - United win a corner after a Darmian cross is deflected behind. Juan Mata whips in the corner, SMalling jumps to head the ball but Benteke gets there before him, clearing the danger. The ball falls back to Mata wh puts in another cross. Vertonghen gets his head on the ball, but Mignolet saves.

8th Min - United win a free kick when Skrtel trips up Antonio Valencia on the far edge of the box. Mata steps up and takes the free kick, swinging it in from the right. Chris Smalling gets away from his man and shoots passed Mignolet and into the Liverpool goal. Smalling scores, United 1-0.

th

12th Min - Mata picks up the ball for United on the right of the Liverpool penalty area He puts in a cross, but Nathaniel Clyne clears with ease. The ball falls to Antonio Valencia and he lays it back out right for Mata. Mata puts the ball back into the box and finds Valencia, who had continued his run after passing to Mata. Valancia hits it on the half volley and into the back of the net. Antonio Valencia scores, United 2-0 up.

th

25th Min - United get another corner, and once again Juan Mata steps up to take it. Mata tries an in-swinging corner but Benteke intercepts and makes a clearaance, however only as far as Ander Herrera. Herrera passes to Schweinsteiger, who puts it out right to Mata. Mata crosses into the Liverpool box and finds Valencia, who smashes it past Mignolet's near post. Valencia scores, United 3-0 up.

th

37th Min - Liverpool break of a United attack. Adam Lallana picks up the ball on the right wing and swings it into the box. De Gea gathers safely. One of the few times Liverpool have threatened today, and the first time De Gea's had to touch the ball.

49th Min - Liverpool are on the attack and Lallana lofts a ball up to Benteke. Smalling intercepts and passes it across to Vertonghen, who spots the run of Memphis and lifts the ball up to the Dutchman. Memphis gathers the ball in loads of space and runs into the box. He gets past Clyne, then Skrtel before slotting the ball past Mignolet and into the bottom corner. Fantastic goal by Memphis Depay on his debut. Memphis scores, United winning 4-0.

th

89th Min - Moreno passes to Emre Can, who then passes to Joe Allen Allen runs with the ball before giving it to Firmino The Brazilian lays it off to Danny Ings who has a shot from the edge of the area. Unfortunately, the shot goes wide.

93rd Min - Final whistle goes, Manchester United beat Liverpool 4-0 at Old Trafford.

View attachment 218641

What a win against one of our biggest rivals and in my first game in charge. Everyone played amazingly. This is a great way to start the season, and if we continue like this we could have a very good season.​

Well, my evening just got busy. Won't be able to update tonight, but will do quite a few tomorrow :)

August 2015 Update

View attachment 218324

So I'm very happy with these transfers. As you can see I spent the bulk of my budget on Correa and Vertonghen. Correa is a great player for the future, and a rotation option right now, while Vertonghen comes in to be my first choice defender. On top of that I did bring Gino Peruzzi in at right back for very cheap to provide backup to Darmian for the right back position. My final two transfers were Barbosa and Galloway. I may have overpaid for Galloway, but he has very nice potential and is decent now, and Gabriel Barbosa is a top quality player already and will be my first choice right winger.

As for outs, everyone who left was dead weight as far as I'm concerned. I had no plans for Valdes, Fellaini or Valencia, and Michael Carrick was just a bit too old and we had better players. I didn't make a load of money off them, but I did free up a lot of my wage budget.

View attachment 218323

So I was drawn against Panathiakos AO (who I will call PAO to make it easier for myself) in the Champions League best placed playoff. It's not a bad draw and we should beat them with ease, but they are a decent team so we will have to make sure there's no complacency.

View attachment 218322

After victory in our first game against Liverpool, we traveled to the Stadium of Light with much hope we could get a result. And I'm very happy we did. We brushed Sunderland aside with very little problem. Juan Mata got a goal to add to his impressive 3 assists last game, and Anthony Martial got his first goal (hopefully of many) for the club.

View attachment 218321

Next up we entertained PAO at Old Trafford, and performed exactly what was expected of us.. We managed a comfortable 3-1 win with Correa netting his first goal for United and Martial scoring his second within two minutes before putting the game to bed in the 71st minute with a strike from Brazilian youngster Andreas Perreira. However, PAO did get a goal back late. Could that away goal of their's be costly? I really hope not...

View attachment 218320

We return to the league with a great result. We've already treated the home fans with a 4-0 demolition of Liverpool this season, now we treat them to a 2-1 win over fierce rivals Arsenal. Memphis Depay gets a goal, and Juan Mata continues to perform with another goal from him

View attachment 218319

We travel away t Greece for what should have een a comfortable win. It was anything but. PAO went 1-0 up midway through the first half, but then we levelled early in the second half through a Martial penalty. Not long after PAO went 2-1 up from a Rojo own goal, but luckily Martial was there yet again to bring us back level. PAO scored a late goal to win the game, but we held on to win the tie. It was a much tighter one than I expected, us only winning 5-4 on aggregate. I'll honestly blame myself for this. I thought it would be an easy win so I rested a lot of key players, and I seriously underestimated PAO. I'll have to make sure it doesn't happen again.

View attachment 218318

This... This is not the draw I wanted. I have to go up against Juventus, Wolfsburg and Lyon in the group stages of the Champions League. It will be very tough, but pn the plus side if we get through it we will be well prepared for the rest of the tournament.

View attachment 218317

A bad injuy to Smalling leaves him out for almost two months. Jones isn't quite back from his injury yet, so the only two recognised CB''s we have are Vertonghen and Rojo. Galloway and McNair should get a fair few chances over the next few games.

View attachment 218316

And we finish August off in style. A 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge is no easy feat, but we managed it. Memphis played outstanding, netting the two goals, while Juan Mata and fellow new signing Gabriel Barbosa chipped in with the assists. It wasn't an easy game, but at the end of it we came away with an excellent result.

View attachment 218315View attachment 218314View attachment 218313

A clean sweep for United in the awards. Mata won Player of the Month, Depay won Young Player of the Month and I won Manager of the Month. This is a fantastic start to my career, and I'll be hoping to continue this form in September.​

If it's any consolation Arsenal were definitely the toughest game I played that month. Minus the loss of course :D

We will see what's happen at the end of season, but for sure, Arsenal will be 4-6th, as always in FM.. Hope that they will fight with Devils for 1st ;)

We will see what's happen at the end of season, but for sure, Arsenal will be 4-6th, as always in FM.. Hope that they will fight with Devils for 1st ;)

I think they will. Arsenal have some top players. I've played through November right now and Arsenal are doing quite well.

Good start of the season,and also,nice transfers especially youngster Correa and Barbosa .

September 2015 Update

View attachment 218155

We record a 1-0 win against newly promoted Norwich, Juan Mata continuing his excellent form for me and getting the goal. The result doesn't really do the game justice as we dominated Norwich and really should have won by three or four.

View attachment 218154

Our first Champions League group game was a very successful one, beating French side Lyon 2-0 at Old Trafford. Young Brazilian Gabriel Barbosa scored both of our goals, and in truth Lyon never really threatened. A comfortable start to the group stage.

View attachment 218153

Very surprisingly we struggled in this game, as is shown by the 3-2 scoreline and the relatively even stats. If it wasn't for the individual brilliance of midfielder Ander Herrera, we could very easily have lost this game.

View attachment 218152

This was such a disappointing result for me. I figured I could put out very much a second string side and still beat Leeds, especially with it being at home, but instead it was a huge embarrassment Manchester United knocked out, at home, in the 3rd round of the Capital One Cup to a Championship team, a rival in the form of Leeds no less. We conceded in the 2nd minute, and then it got worse shortly after half time when we were 2-0 down. Ander Herrera pulled one back for us with his fourth goal in two games, but we couldn't get another one.

View attachment 218151

Thankfully we bounced back with an emphatic 4-1 win against Southampton at home. Memphis, Barbosa and Martial scored for us, as well as a Fonte own goal. Pelle pulled one back for the Saints in the last ten minutes as e were 4-0 up by that point and I think a bit complacent.

View attachment 218150

And then we lose again. We played well, but Mandzukic scored for Juve on the stroke of half time with a header from a free kick. I honestly thought we played well and for me I'm not going to be disheartened by this result.

View attachment 218149

Rooney is playing terribly for me. e hasn't scored a single goal. I'm in a tough spot here as I love Rooney, but he isn't performing for me. I'll give him a few more chances, but if he continues to play like this I'll either drop him or play him in midfield.

View attachment 218148View attachment 218147View attachment 218146

We do well in the monthly awards. Depay comes 3rd in Player of the Month but wins the Young Player of the Month, which Martial comes 3rd in. I come 2nd in Manager of the Month.

Hopefully I should do the October update tonight. That is when I remember to include the league table, so you will finally see it at the end of October.​