Matthew Le Tissier - A Shot At Management

This is the first time I've managed to read this, I have to say mate it's a brilliant start! If I had of known you'd done a story I would have checked it out earlier.

Keep up the good work mate, this will get big if you stick at it!

Thanks so much! It's fantastic to hear that from you; the FM-Base Story God! ;)

I hope you don't mind me structuring it in a similar way to yours.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much! It's fantastic to hear that from you; the FM-Base Story God! ;)

I hope you don't mind me structuring it in a similar way to yours.

Thanks again!

Not at all mate, everyone takes different ideas off each other for there stories!

Interesting to see where you will finish in the league

View attachment 914493
View attachment 241456
I'm delighted with this result. Shakhtar are a very strong team and really, should be in the Champions League. We shut them out, and nearly pinched a winner ourselves! The lads showed great character, as Brendan Rodgers would say.

At the half way stage in the group, this is how things stand!

View attachment 241455
I think we are definitely on course to qualify for the knock-out stages. We face a trip to Ukraine in Match Day 4 which will be the toughest game so far, but I truly believe in the lads.

-----

I wanted to grab a word with Virgil van Dijk after the players left the dressing room. Virgil had spoken to me when he signed for the club, and explained that he knew he wasn't going to walk straight into the side, and that he was willing to work hard.

"Virgil, could I have a word?"

"Of course gaffer!"

He seemed cheerful, as always. He's one of the biggest characters at the club, always joking around and pulling harmless pranks on the others. He really does keep the spirits up high!

"I just wanted to say, Virgil, you've been outstanding recently. Absolutely top defensive work. You're really giving me one of those selection head aches, so keep it up!"

He smiled, and his face almost glowed.

"Thanks boss, I just want to please you and the fans, and win football matches. That's why I'm here!"

"That's a tremendous attitude mate. Now get home a rest up, we've a big game at home to Utd on Sunday!"

"Cheers gaffer. See you tomorrow!"

He really is a role model.

Not at all mate, everyone takes different ideas off each other for there stories!

Interesting to see where you will finish in the league

Thanks! :)

The board expectation is Europa League but the squad believes top 4 is achievable. We'll have to wait and see!

View attachment 241449
Saturday 25th October 2014

-----

The lads are looking sharp in training. They are all so focussed for the game tomorrow against Manchester United at St Mary's. It's a big game. If we win, we leapfrog them in the league table, but if we lose, we'll drop off and a gap will emerge.

Louis van Gaals's Manchester United side have some exceptional talents. Di Maria, Mata, Rooney.. the list goes on. Tomorrow will also see the return of Morgan Schneiderlin. Obviously he hasn't played under me, but he's played with pretty much all the players here.

But then disaster.

View attachment 241442
The Spanish playmaker turned too quickly and in the process twisted his ankle. He can barely walk now, let alone kick a football. There's nothing worse for a player than getting injured in training, the day before a huge match. I feel so sorry for the lad. The injury doesn't seem too serious, but he was almost in tears. It's plain to see that he really wanted to play tomorrow, and he's been impressing me a lot recently. Head Physio Steve Wright thinks he'll be out of action for around 3-4 weeks. What a shame. He'll be missed tomorrow.

-----

Just as we thought it couldn't get any worse...

View attachment 241441
Pellè told me after the training session that his knee felt odd. He could still run, but it caused him some pain and he could feel it creak as he bent it. At once I got Steve to assess him. We can't afford to lose Graziano as well.

All of a sudden, Graziano collapsed to the floor with a horrid scream. His knee just gave way, and he couldn't stand up. Steve analysed his knee before concluding that he'd twisted it quite nastily, and he'd be unable to play for 2-3 weeks. Not what we needed.

-----

Tomorrow's tie is going to be even tougher now.

View attachment 241430
View attachment 241428
Not only did we beat the odds to gain all three points against a top side in Manchester United, but Shane long finally scored. He actually missed a penalty in the 12th minute before he won himself another one minutes later. I allowed him to take it (despite it being his fourth penalty chance for the club), and he netted it!

This game was manic from the off. van Dijk maintained his superb form with an early goal from a corner before Wayne Rooney scored on a Utd counter attack from Long's missed penalty. From kick-off, we then hurtled towards De Gea's goal, and Long was tripped by Johnny Evans before dispatching his spot kick.

You can't write scripts like that!

View attachment 241429

View attachment 914584View attachment 241415
Unfortunately, the Gunners were too strong for us at the Emirates, despite a second half fight back. I did hand a few youngsters a first team try out and they didn't do themselves any harm. Capital One Cup hopes are over for another season.

View attachment 914637
After a long, tiring flight over to Ukraine the lads were looking quite jet lagged and drained. I knew it was going to be a tough match, but being tired wouldn't help our cause.

We emerged from the team bus to see quite a large number of Saints fans who made the journey with us. It's fantastic to see the club with so much support and success again.

-----

I placed the team sheet on the board in the changing room. No-one complained, in fact, the squad has been content with my team selections each time so far this season.

View attachment 241383
Let's do this.

-----

The stadium was packed, and it was quite a hostile atmosphere. I'm glad I didn't start Targett or Ward-Prowse like I contemplated doing. It's not the right environment for them, not yet anyway.

View attachment 241382
-----

View attachment 241389
Unfortunately, the surroundings made the game very difficult for us. Long scored again, which is the single positive from our perspective. We can still qualify, it's just likely to in second place.

View attachment 241367
View attachment 241366
I was left scratching my head after this one. We actually played exceptionally well! Ward-Prowse and Cuco Martina particularly shone for us, and we carved out a good number of openings but Ospina was in fine form for the Gunners to prevent us from scoring. Down the other end, Welbeck and Cazorla were clinical, and there was nothing more we could have done to stop them.

View attachment 241365
Despite a couple of defeats in recent games we're still keeping reasonable pace with the top of the table.

View attachment 914778
View attachment 241328
A fantastic victory and performance by the players. All we need now is a point against Villarreal in the final group game to guarantee knock-out stage qualification. Solid performances all round. Juanmi has struggled to settle into the side but he still contributes well to our attacks.

View attachment 241327
​We still have a slim chance of getting 1st place, but I can't see Videoton beating Shakhtar.

View attachment 241305

Training hard as always, the lads are showing immense promise for the rest of the season. Pellè is currently top scorer in the league with 10 goals, and Tadic is up there in the assist charts.

Victor Wanyama asked to speak to me in my office after the session. I agreed of course. I want my players to feel comfortable speaking to me about anything. In my opinion that is so important.

-----

Victor knocked on the door before nervously opening.

"Take a seat Victor, what did you want to talk about?"

View attachment 241300
I was gob smacked. We were doing so well in the league, and he has played almost every game where he hasn't been suspended or injured. Why did he want to leave so badly? We are a club on the rise!

View attachment 241298
He wasn't having any of it.

View attachment 241297
I can't see any point in trying to keep him if he's unhappy. Maybe the interest will die down by the time January rolls in. Ideally we will keep Victor at the club, but we could get a lot of money for him.

View attachment 241291
He left my office rather promptly. I guess he could see how I was biting my lip profusely when saying I'd let him leave if a bid came in. He has so much more talent than he does brains. He's a massive player for us, but he would struggle to get in the Arsenal side alongside Ramsey/Wilshere/Arteta. He's probably after the money. Greedy *******.

View attachment 241265
View attachment 241264
Despite taking an early lead through our talisman Tadic, West Ham fought back and took all three points in what turned out to be a disappointing afternoon for us. I'm not one to point the blame but we really were simply unlucky today. Juanmi hit the post, Pellè hit the crossbar and Davis' free kick was brilliantly tipped over by the goal keeper.

Every now and then we have a dip in form, and I really hope it doesn't come back to haunt us in the latter stages of the season. We're still 7th so it isn't all doom and gloom.

View attachment 241262
Leicester's Struggle Continues at the hands of Southampton

Leicester City remain rock bottom of the Premier League with a -21 goal difference to boot as Southampton brushed them aside with goals from Shane Long and Sadio Mané.

View attachment 241259
The result sees Matt Le Tissier's side leapfrog Everton into 6th place, although the Toffees have the chance to revert that change when they travel to the Hawthorns on Monday night.

The match saw the return of Saints goal keeper Fraser Forster to the match squad as he was placed on the bench. The English keeper tore his knee ligaments in his first training session at the club, and is likely to be slowly implemented into the first 11 by Le Tissier, with loanee Stekelenburg failing to impress in recent weeks, most noticeably against West Ham last week.

View attachment 241255
Sadio Mané (pictured above) celebrated his first Premier League goal for the Saints in the 3rd minute of stoppage time at the end of the game at St Mary's Stadium. The Senegalese winger has impressed during the club's Europa League campaign but has struggled to make a big impact in league so far.

When asked in the post match interview, manager Matt Le Tissier said: "Sadio has played brilliantly for us. It's great for him to finally get his first league goal for the club, but I never doubted he would get it. I believe now that he will push on and you'll see a lot more from him during the rest of the season."

Shane Long has also started bagging some goals for the club after it took him four penalty attempts across two games to net his first for the club. The Irishman has scored three in five in the league and is slowly winning the hearts of the Southampton faithful.

Meanwhile the Foxes remain at the foot of the table, two points from safety. The side lost 7-1 to Chelsea last week and to add to the already low spirit Southampton easily brushed them aside today. Claudio Ranieri has a lot to do to keep Leicester in the Premier League.

Last edited:
excellent story mate..
the ups and downs keep it absolutely realistic, I must say!

just read it through now, and keep it up :)

excellent story mate..
the ups and downs keep it absolutely realistic, I must say!

just read it through now, and keep it up :)

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I'm really enjoying playing this save so far :)

This is a great story, one of my favourites atm, can't wait for the next update!