McLeish resigns from Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 3K
I think it will happen- Who else can Aston Villa hire, with such a reputation as McLeish? And why else would he resign from Birmingham, after such preperation for next season?

He's definitely going, the rumour of him leaving has been going around for a couple of weeks, but with the signing of Chris Burke and all Burke talking about is rejoining with the manager that gave him his chance it put it all quiet until now...

he is more than odds on, he will come out that the board have messed him around and not kept their promises which is totally true, but considering he is supposed to be a man of honour and principles it would still be shocking.

I think it will happen- Who else can Aston Villa hire, with such a reputation as McLeish? And why else would he resign from Birmingham, after such preperation for next season?

Why resign is easy - he'd been told that he had to get promotion. He'd said that he wanted certain players to stay if that was the case. The board have, presumably, got other ideas on who can stay and who can go if he's walked.

No idea about Villa. Half their fans are delusional so I reckon Lerner should just bite the bullet and choose either Hughes or Benitez. He'll not make them happy whoever he appoints when so many of them thought they had a realistic chance of getting Ancelotti. Think they can do better than McLeish whose football has never aspired to be anything more than functional. It'd be a good choice if Lerner was realistically looking at just staying in the division next season, but they're better than that... I think.

How people can say that, is rather confusing. They had a better squad than the likes of Wigan and Wolves imo. They have (had) the likes of Zigic, Larsson, Martins, Derbyshire, Gardner, Dann, Johnson and Foster, who, especially the last four, should be able to walk into the Wigan/Wolves/Stoke/Blackburn/West Brom teams, and they all managed to stay up.

well he did well to win the League Cup no doubt, as I said he was pretty unfortunate league-wise considering that Zigic hardly adapted to the PLM while the likes of Dann failed to recreate those sort of performances they did last season and obviously a huge difference from last season was their goalkeeper, last season Joe Hart was firing on all cylinders for them and Ben Foster this season has been decidely average... all that said and done I do agree that he had enough quality to avoid relegation, pretty unfortunate for the club really winning a major trophy then being packed off to the second division

well he did well to win the League Cup no doubt, as I said he was pretty unfortunate league-wise considering that Zigic hardly adapted to the PLM while the likes of Dann failed to recreate those sort of performances they did last season and obviously a huge difference from last season was their goalkeeper, last season Joe Hart was firing on all cylinders for them and Ben Foster this season has been decidely average... all that said and done I do agree that he had enough quality to avoid relegation, pretty unfortunate for the club really winning a major trophy then being packed off to the second division

I agree with the unfortunate bit, as the season was a crazy season although we wasn't firing on all cylinders throughout.

HOWEVER... Zigic didnt play after the League Cup final, was only effective in about 5 games all season, mostly useless, Scott Dann was injured for most of the season so how do you expect him to recreate the previous season? and Ben Foster was far above average! Arguably our best player this season, yes he isn't Joe hart, but he hasn't performed far off what Joe did last year, difference being this year, the outfield players weren't as effective this year as the year before. And the notable absence of James McFadden, who's impact was hugely missed for the entire season!

We had more than enough quality to stay up, when you see nearly every player we have being linked with moves to established premier league clubs, with Scotty and Johnson being linked to the elite of english football it shows how much quality we really had.

I suppose the analysis of McCleish's performance last season can be argued, we had the squad to consolidate yet we failed to do so, although won our first domestic trophy in forever... In my personal opinion the blame can be laid to all parties, the board not investing what they said they would, McCleish wasting money on massive wages of players that couldn't care less E.G, Zigic, Bentley, Hleb, Martins, who all have pedigree but lack motivation and passion, and the part of the club which no one seems to blame, THE PLAYERS! Every single one of them in my opinion should be held accountable of seeing us relegated, they claimed tiredness and running on empty in February!! i haven't a clue why?!! we only played two premier league teams in our lead up to cup glory a long with the normal 38 games of the season.

God help Johnson and Dann playing for the bigger teams in england with 40-50 games a season on their fixture list!!

How many managers have managed both Aston Villa and Birmingham? And in succession? I don't think its many...

1, Ron Saunders.

If he is going to V*lla he is Judas. Leaving us in the mess his ***** football got us into. He ignored the warning signs, refused to change from 451 which has never worked for more than one game. And then leaves for the inbreed when the going gets tough by fecking email. Cowardly at the least.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

1. Zig has been injured for most of the year but 8 in 20 starts is an impressive ratio
2. Dann has been injured since Jamuary and was exceptional beforehand
3. Foster has been class all year. As good and at times better than Hart.

Will be suprised if he went to Villa but hay this is football and loyalty means nothing.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

1, Ron Saunders.

If he is going to V*lla he is Judas. Leaving us in the mess his ***** football got us into. He ignored the warning signs, refused to change from 451 which has never worked for more than one game. And then leaves for the inbreed when the going gets tough by fecking email. Cowardly at the least.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

1. Zig has been injured for most of the year but 8 in 20 starts is an impressive ratio
2. Dann has been injured since Jamuary and was exceptional beforehand
3. Foster has been class all year. As good and at times better than Hart.

On your side here abit but am i the only person that thinks Hart makes more mistakes than Foster?

Will be suprised if he went to Villa but hay this is football and loyalty means nothing.

couldn't agree with you more mate!!

you can think and hope that footballers and those involved within the game have some loyalty and ethical make up, HOWEVER money talks as ever...

not sure where we go as a club now, i just hope we bounce strong from this, the players stick together and not decide to max exile due to the departure of Alex, and the likes of Foster dont jump the divide also...

I'm planning a riot in the bullring when 'Eck, RJ, Fozzy and his best mate Jerome go to Vile.

As a Chelsea fan i would like to see Brum give Di Matteo a chance. Already won a promotion and must live in the area still so why not?

I'm planning a riot in the bullring when 'Eck, RJ, Fozzy and his best mate Jerome go to Vile.

I cant see Foster crossing the divide he seems a genuine lad, and massively grateful for us taking the chance on him, but there i go again, trusting in the faith that players have loyalty :$

Im pretty much disillusioned with my support ATM, i was starting to get disillusioned with the sale of all our best players, now the managers jumped ship i just cant imagine what Im going to be clapping onto the pitch next season...

i have visions of Ian Dowie and Marlon Harewood :'(

As a Chelsea fan i would like to see Brum give Di Matteo a chance. Already won a promotion and must live in the area still so why not?

Agree somewhat again...

i have my hopes on Curbishley, O'Neill, Hughton or Di Matteo, haven't really had a good think about it, although i think if the board want any fans in the ground next year they are going to have to get a real manager at the helm.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

On your side here abit but am i the only person that thinks Hart makes more mistakes than Foster?

Hart's distribution is really poor and it gets him into trouble, he needs to be better with the accuracy of his kicking

I cant see Foster crossing the divide he seems a genuine lad, and massively grateful for us taking the chance on him, but there i go again, trusting in the faith that players have loyalty :$

Im pretty much disillusioned with my support ATM, i was starting to get disillusioned with the sale of all our best players, now the managers jumped ship i just cant imagine what Im going to be clapping onto the pitch next season...

i have visions of Ian Dowie and Marlon Harewood :'(

Foster is from Leamington Spa which means he's either a Viler or Cov. Hopefully the latter.

Fingers crossed on Eck's 2 new signings in Koevermans and Gomis go through now he's left.

Derek Mcinness of st johnstone would be a good shout

Foster is from Leamington Spa which means he's either a Viler or Cov. Hopefully the latter.

Fingers crossed on Eck's 2 new signings in Koevermans and Gomis go through now he's left.

Don't think he's vile or it would have come out somewhere wouldn't it really!!

Ye lets hope! I bet Chris Burke is well ****** lol, signed to play under McCleish... WOOPS :$

have to say i'm quite dissapointed we cant get revenge on you for the CC defeat :(

I want Eddie Howe. Young, ambitious and has a knack for promotion. We will probably an up with a Chinese no-mark however.

Back