Merson V Johnson

I am aware of his achievements at Arsenal, as I'm sure the majority of us are.

Why has Johnson been out of order? Just cos he is the player? Why isn't he allowed to voice his opinion in the same way Merson is?

Not saying I agree with either of them in this post, and I was being a bit of a **** in the last post. But seriously what's wrong with Johnson airing his opinion just like Merson has done.

All I was pointing out in the first bit is that Merson actually has achieved quite a bit.

The problem I have with Johnson is that Merson was doing his job, and criticised Johnson's performances. That's fair enough. However, Johnson then responded with a petty, personal attack on Merson, going out of his way to specifically insult him. I don't like that.

Merson has also apparently said that Johnson cost Roy Hodgson his job. What right has Merson got to say this? What provoked it?

Alright, agreed on this. That is rather a bellendish thing to say, particularly when it isn't true.

Last edited:
You obviously never watched Mers.
Never liked Johnson, there was no need for those comments, Mers is a pundit and for once is right!

I watch Soccer Saturday every week actually wats so gd abt him he cant even pronoun the simplest names and he never analyse a game to the extent of which a pundit should he is quite annoying actually

I watch Soccer Saturday every week actually wats so gd abt him he cant even pronoun the simplest names and he never analyse a game to the extent of which a pundit should he is quite annoying actually

I rather think you shouldn't criticise someone's command of the English language when you can't spell.

Merson may not be the brightest spark, but he gets away with it because he knows he isn' the brightest, and isn't afraid to laugh at himself. He seems a likeable enough bloke, and is a football pundit.

Whether or not he is a good one is irrelevant, he is paid to express his opinions, and he did. All Johnson did was launch a personal attack that was quite offensive to Merson. He should never have sunk so low as to mock Merson's addictions, which he deserves enormous credit for rising above.

I think it's fair game. If a former professional player with Merson's history choses to insult another professional on live tv, then the professional player is perfectly fine to essentially say, "I don't need lessons on professionalism from a man who spent a large part of his career in clinics trying to treat his addictions." Because it wasn't Merson making a valid criticism or even highlighting a flaw in Johnson's game, it was just a dumb attack on a professional player for seemingly no reason.

No problems at all with players defending themselves from dumb punditry and calling out the lowest common denominator element which seems to predominate because they're 'nice guys' or 'easy to listen to' or 'funny because their teeth fall out live on air' but don't bother even doing basic research to prepare themselves for the very simple task of commenting on a match they're watching.

I rather think you shouldn't criticise someone's command of the English language when you can't spell.

Well typin nd actually speakin r two different tings if u didnt realise nd i am nt gettin payed to type my posts he is getting paid to deliver his opinion on matters and doesnt do a very gd job

Merson is a clown but Johnson is a bigger one. I mean the guy shoplifted a toilet seat for **** sake. oO)

Well typin nd actually speakin r two different tings if u didnt realise nd i am nt gettin payed to type my posts he is getting paid to deliver his opinion on matters and doesnt do a very gd job

I'd say he delivered his opinion on the matter pretty **** well, considering.

I think it's fair game. If a former professional player with Merson's history choses to insult another professional on live tv, then the professional player is perfectly fine to essentially say, "I don't need lessons on professionalism from a man who spent a large part of his career in clinics trying to treat his addictions." Because it wasn't Merson making a valid criticism or even highlighting a flaw in Johnson's game, it was just a dumb attack on a professional player for seemingly no reason.

No problems at all with players defending themselves from dumb punditry and calling out the lowest common denominator element which seems to predominate because they're 'nice guys' or 'easy to listen to' or 'funny because their teeth fall out live on air' but don't bother even doing basic research to prepare themselves for the very simple task of commenting on a match they're watching.

I must admit here I didn't see what Merson said, but I'm told it was criticism of the player, as opposed to insult of the man. Pundits are paid to talk about their opinions of players, and whether good or bad the players shouldn't get pissy about it because they didn't like what they heard. Merson made a criticism of Johnson's defensive skills, and Johnson turns around and mocks Merson for having a drugs problem which no doubt caused him a great deal of personal pain and suffering? That's just not on. Regardless of whether Merson's criticism of him was valid or not, you just shouldn't do that.

Whether you agree with Merson's actual opinion or not doesn't matter, Johnson didn't have to launch a personal attack on Merson which had nothing to do with football.

So Merson is allowed an opinion and Johnson can't make a statement? Ridiculous. If Merson can come out with crazy ******* claims like that Johnson has a right to get back at him.

But the difference is Merson criticised Johnson's performances on the pitch. He is a pundit and therefore it is his job to comment on players' performances.

I'm not saying I agree with Merson, but Johnson's attack was nothing to do with football, it was an attack on Merson's personal life. After all, football is a game, whereas addictions are very serious, even life threatening. To mock that just because Merson said Johnson has been playing poorly etc is in my opinion, completely uncalled for.

How would anyone like it if a player you made a negative comment about came back and picked out the lowest points of their life and made a mockery of it all over the interenet.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

So Merson is allowed an opinion and Johnson can't make a statement? Ridiculous. If Merson can come out with crazy ******* claims like that Johnson has a right to get back at him.

Of course Johnson can make a statement or have an opinion. He is perfectly entitled to say anything he likes about Merson's or his own ability on the pitch. What was out of order was talking about Merson's addicitons, which haven't got anything to do with what Merson said about him.

But the difference is Merson criticised Johnson's performances on the pitch. He is a pundit and therefore it is his job to comment on players' performances.

I'm not saying I agree with Merson, but Johnson's attack was nothing to do with football, it was an attack on Merson's personal life. After all, football is a game, whereas addictions are very serious, even life threatening. To mock that just because Merson said Johnson has been playing poorly etc is in my opinion, completely uncalled for.

How would anyone like it if a player you made a negative comment about came back and picked out the lowest points of their life and made a mockery of it all over the interenet.

So? If my mate give me abuse about being a **** footballer, my automatic response would be to say something about him personally. This is a ******* joke tbh.

I must admit here I didn't see what Merson said, but I'm told it was criticism of the player, as opposed to insult of the man. Pundits are paid to talk about their opinions of players, and whether good or bad the players shouldn't get pissy about it because they didn't like what they heard. Merson made a criticism of Johnson's defensive skills, and Johnson turns around and mocks Merson for having a drugs problem which no doubt caused him a great deal of personal pain and suffering? That's just not on. Regardless of whether Merson's criticism of him was valid or not, you just shouldn't do that.

Only saw this after I had finished my post and realised I posted almost exactly the same thing. Your post sums it up perfectly for me.

Of course Johnson can make a statement or have an opinion. He is perfectly entitled to say anything he likes about Merson's or his own ability on the pitch. What was out of order was talking about Merson's addicitons, which haven't got anything to do with what Merson said about him.

Thought it was a good comeback personally, would have said the exact same thing.

I'm old enough to Remember Paul Mesron In his prime at Arsenal. He was a very decent player. I always thought he was underated and i always quite liked him.

However everytime he opens his mouth on the Sky panel he says something ridiculous. It's like what the lad said earlier on. He's more suited to Talkshite radio. Spouting inflammatory **** in order to provoke a reaction. He is extremely bias towards clubs based in the Capital and has always had sly digs at my beloved Man City so he can go **** himself. He and Phil Thompson make my skin Crawl. The best Pundit on that Panel Is Matt Le Tissier by a mile (He was the best player out of the lot by a mile too).

If Merson had come out saying how the team as a whole had let Hodgeson down and therefore were responsable for him losing his job then i would have partly agreed. But to single out one underperforming player out of an entire team of underperformers is just out of order. Johnson was well in his right to give the little poisoned dwarf the what for.

1. Johnson Single handedly got Hodgeson sacked.
2. Merson is a poisoness, Alcoholic, Junky fuckwit with a gambling problem.

Only one of the above statements is true. (Hint, It's the second one)

Your posts make my eyes hurt!

Last edited:
Over to Merson now who can bring up the fact Johnsons a dirty thief.

If he does, well played, it's a slanging match.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

So all you who agree with Merson, tell me how Johnson cost Hodgson his job?

Anyone?

Johnson's allowed to retort, of course.

I'm just wondering why he didn't actually reply to his comment and demonstrated how daft it was instead of immediately going all ad hominem and ******** over Twitter. Footballers sound like ignorant ***** at the best of times, let alone when only given 140 characters.

Alright, agreed on this. That is rather a bellendish thing to say, particularly when it isn't true.

He was being a ****, sure. Still doesn't condone what Johnson said. It's like responding to a slap with a sledgehammer to the knee.

However everytime he opens his mouth on the Sky panel he says something ridiculous. It's like what the lad said earlier on. He's more suited to Talkshite radio. Spouting inflammatory **** in order to provoke a reaction. He is extremely bias towards clubs based in the Capital and has always had sly digs at my beloved Man City so he can go **** himself. He and Phil Thompson make my skin Crawl. The best Pundit on that Panel Is Matt Le Tissier by a mile (He was the best player out of the lot by a mile too).

He's a pundit. His job is to air his opinions, no matter how stupid, wrong or ridiculous they are. Don't have a go at him, have a go at the people who hired him, because they hired him knowing his job would be to air his opinions, which he did. He can't be blamed for doing his job.

1. Johnson Single handedly got Hodgeson sacked.
2. Merson is a poisoness, Alcoholic, Junky fuckwit with a gambling problem.

Only one of the above statements is true. (Hint, It's the second one)
Actually, neither of them are true. A "poisoness" doesn't exist (unless you count it as a female poisoner), and Merson has kicked his addictions and well done to him for doing it. You're honestly as bad as Johnson.

Last edited:
He was being a ****, sure. Still doesn't condone what Johnson said. It's like responding to a slap with a sledgehammer to the knee.

Hardly, I'd react in the exact same way. Merson got a taste of his own medicne :)

I don't think people agree with merson as such, just think its a funny comment to make.