Merson V Johnson

Well, even if you know nothing about football. when you see Johnson play....even the dumbest fu**er can see that he is an absolute PIECE OF **** defending.

Capello is fu**ing stupid when he calls Johnson into his squad. Micah Richards is way better and i bet you can find 100 better english right defenders. I Blackburn-Liverpool and that tells you everything about Johnson.

He SIMPLY CAN'T DEFEND!

Wonder what the betting is one of them will use a 'your mum...' joke.

Both need to grow up, and man up.

Makes me laugh really, understand where Johnson is coming from hes had alot of abuse from fans and now getting slated in the media but posting comments on twitter isnt going to help him.

But the difference is Merson criticised Johnson's performances on the pitch. He is a pundit and therefore it is his job to comment on players' performances.

Oh thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have a proposal if anyone is interested, I will pay for you to go to Germany and travel around the country while giving talks and lectures stating that you don't believe the holocaust happened. But don't worry, when you are arrested just tell them it's your job.

LOL at the Arsenal and Villa fans defending their mans honour. Well done chaps... He is a ******* though and no amount of bias changes that.

Bollocks to that. I defend him because I think that whilst he's in the wrong, Johnson is even more so.

Oh thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have a proposal if anyone is interested, I will pay for you to go to Germany and travel around the country while giving talks and lectures stating that you don't believe the holocaust happened. But don't worry, when you are arrested just tell them it's your job.

Dangerously close to Godwin's Law.

And that is ridiculous, because we can conclusively prove that the holocaust happened. Johnson's performance is a matter of opinion, whereas the holocaust is an undeniable fact. Also, if saying Glen Johnson was rubbish was a matter of extreme national sensitivity and would get you arrested, I doubt Merson would do it.

That's an attack on a professional player's professionalism.

To be honest, Johnson's reply attacked his own professionalism more than Merson's comments. It just adds to the list of damage unintelligent footballers manage to cause within 140 characters...

Dangerously close to Godwin's Law.

And that is ridiculous, because we can conclusively prove that the holocaust happened. Johnson's performance is a matter of opinion, whereas the holocaust is an undeniable fact. Also, if saying Glen Johnson was rubbish was a matter of extreme national sensitivity and would get you arrested, I doubt Merson would do it.

Just because Merson is paid to say these things it doesn't make it anymore justifiable. There's a right way to be a pundit and a wrong one. Sadly as stated in this thread already being a pundit these days seems to be about saying as much **** as possible without any sort of research or thought.

If you want to criticize Johnson defensively then go ahead, although criticizing his defensive abilities is about as useful as criticizing Kuyt's defensive abilities as it's not integral to the way they play. Johnson is an ok defender, he's nothing special, but he's not bad either. When he's asked to sit back in his own half and play like a Konchesky and not a Maicon then of course he's going to look terrible, as that's not what he's all about.

Criticizing Johnson defensively just misses the point entirely.

Just because Merson is paid to say these things it doesn't make it anymore justifiable. There's a right way to be a pundit and a wrong one. Sadly as stated in this thread already being a pundit these days seems to be about saying as much **** as possible without any sort of research or thought.

If you want to criticize Johnson defensively then go ahead, although criticizing his defensive abilities is about as useful as criticizing Kuyt's defensive abilities as it's not integral to the way they play. Johnson is an ok defender, he's nothing special, but he's not bad either. When he's asked to sit back in his own half and play like a Konchesky and not a Maicon then of course he's going to look terrible, as that's not what he's all about.

I disagree that criticising Johnson's Defensive abilities is missing the point as he is a defender and Liveprool are not doing well you have to look at these aspects. If Glen Johnson is a Right Full Back then defence is his main focus. But this is just my opinion but I do agree that most pundits do talk out of their ****, however I do like Matt Le Tissier.

I disagree that criticising Johnson's Defensive abilities is missing the point as he is a defender and Liveprool are not doing well you have to look at these aspects. If Glen Johnson is a Right Full Back then defence is his main focus. But this is just my opinion but I do agree that most pundits do talk out of their ****, however I do like Matt Le Tissier.

For most full backs these days attacking is their primary focus, not defending. Instead of criticizing Johnson we should be mentioning the lack of support and cover he is getting from the a certain central midfield player.

Well that settles it then, Glen Johnson should blatantly be banned from twitter.

He's said something ridiculous and over the top about Merson, ok. But for him to react in such a way, Merson must have touched a nerve with the apparent hodgson related comments. Unless he is actually a tool of the highest order. Maybe there's something more to this.

merson vs johnson no contest paul merson was a great player and a football man.glen johnson is pony 18 million pound liverpool paid for him more fool liverpool just accept u liverpool fans that ur squad is **** and ur players cant accept there not good nuff talk about spitting there dummys out.roy is a great manager and man is liverpool football club thats the problem i hope kenny crash and burns and liverpool to

is it really necessary for Glen Johnson to retaliate in such a fashion? He's England's right back (as much as I hate him being in the England squad because I think he's ****) and should be a role model to kids and anyone who follows the game.

is it really necessary for Glen Johnson to retaliate in such a fashion? He's England's right back (as much as I hate him being in the England squad because I think he's ****) and should be a role model to kids and anyone who follows the game.

Look at Mersons achievements. Anyone who is a fan of football will be aware of his skill and ability on the pitch. So what right does he have to criticise a players performance in such a way where he says Johnson isn't fit to be a player, when he ruined his own career for a period where he openly admitted to being addicted to acholol and cocaine?

Look at Mersons achievements. Anyone who is a fan of football will be aware of his skill and ability on the pitch. So what right does he have to criticise a players performances when he ruined his own career for a period where he openly admitted to being addicted to acholol and cocaine?

That's a very good argument, but I mean more for our current generation who would be following Johnson, surely if Merson did these things then it would be better for Johnson to be quiet and prove him wrong on the pitch. Also Merson is a pundit so i'm guessing it would be more socially accepted for him to criticise a footballer than for a young footballer to criticise a pundit?

jack ild rather be a quality footballer and won trophys and have a drink problem that a 18 million pound flop that shudnt be in the prem let alone england squad. johnson is garbage and a dummy spitting *****.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

jay pricey i agree prove it on the pitch not spit ur dummy out cuz u been told some home truths.

That's a very good argument, but I mean more for our current generation who would be following Johnson, surely if Merson did these things then it would be better for Johnson to be quiet and prove him wrong on the pitch. Also Merson is a pundit so i'm guessing it would be more socially accepted for him to criticise a footballer than for a young footballer to criticise a pundit?

Yeah I know it's his job to criticise players but in a way that actually describes where they are going wrong.

All Merson said was he can't defend for toffee, and that he isn't fit to be a player, apparently.
All that gets my back up is someone who has a past related to drugs saying someone isn't 'fit' to play football.

Well then this is a case of Merson being a frankly rubbish pundit. I know and you know that Johnson's defensive abilities is less important than his attacking guile, and that is for the benefit of the team. Merson is a stick in the mud convinced of an early 2000's fullback style of play. So yeah, **** pundit that misses the point entirely, but still doesn't condone Johnson's comments.

Yeah I know it's his job to criticise players but in a way that actually describes where they are going wrong.

All Merson said was he can't defend for toffee, and that he isn't fit to be a player, apparently.
All that gets my back up is someone who has a past related to drugs saying someone isn't 'fit' to play football.

completely agreed there but he wouldn't make a very good pundit if he said "I don't feel it's right for me to talk about another player negatively due to my personal experiences in the past" XD

jack ild rather be a quality footballer and won trophys and have a drink problem that a 18 million pound flop that shudnt be in the prem let alone england squad. johnson is garbage and a dummy spitting *****.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

jay pricey i agree prove it on the pitch not spit ur dummy out cuz u been told some home truths.

Johnson is good going forward. He will just be the next fullback to make the transition from fullback to winger.

Its a tad harsh on Johnson too saying he isn't fit to be a player if you take 'fit' literally. He has sorted his fitness and conditioning out very well, just a bit shaky at the back still.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

completely agreed there but he wouldn't make a very good pundit if he said "I don't feel it's right for me to talk about another player negatively due to my personal experiences in the past" XD

He can speak about him negatively without using ridiculous terms such as the one mentioned above though, perfectly well. I'm sure he has the necessary footballing vocabulary in his arsenal (lol) to describe how he feels about Johnsons performances in a more adequate way than what he has, he's hardly said anything apart from he can't defend very well which is what we all knew anyway!

Merson was giving his opinion on how Johnson was doing his job which is apparently a 'professional footballer' his performances have said otherwise.

Johnson just turned it into a slanging match by bringing Mersons personal life into scrutiny, there was no need for it whatsoever, if he'd of said Merson was a **** player and had no right to slate him then fair enough but he crossed the line between professional conduct and abuse.

What he said.