Merson V Johnson

I must admit here I didn't see what Merson said, but I'm told it was criticism of the player, as opposed to insult of the man. Pundits are paid to talk about their opinions of players, and whether good or bad the players shouldn't get pissy about it because they didn't like what they heard. Merson made a criticism of Johnson's defensive skills, and Johnson turns around and mocks Merson for having a drugs problem which no doubt caused him a great deal of personal pain and suffering? That's just not on. Regardless of whether Merson's criticism of him was valid or not, you just shouldn't do that.

Basic thust of what he said was that Johnson got Hodgson the sack and wasn't fit to call himself a player. That's an attack on a professional player's professionalism. Nowhere near the same as pointing out mistakes in defence (say, not closing down the winger in time or being in the wrong position at a set-piece) or even just saying he doesn't rate him.

Think that's what's got Johnson's back up. And rightly so in my view.

Hearing Collymore lecture about players' commitment and lack of application on the pitch is another thing too. People like Phil Thompson have every right to make that criticism, but Collymore is on thin ice because it's perfectly fair for a player criticised over that by him to point out that Collymore hasn't got a clue what he's talking about because Collymore so rarely even attended training. People in glasses houses and all that.

Take your point about pundits being paid to give an opinion. What gets me is that so many of them just spout rubbish which is demonstrably untrue. Not just about my club, but about any number of clubs.

Goes the other way too. Remember one press conference when Wilkinson was England manager and he was laying into journos for not having a clue about football and asking them how many caps they had. Jimmy Armfield put his hand up at the back of the conference and said, "43 Howard, how about you?" :D (And the difference in listening to Jimmy Armfield commenting on a game and Merson doing the same really makes the point for me about the difference about informed opinion worth listening to and the puerile nonsense which some of the more recent ex-players come out with.)

Last edited:
Hardly, I'd react in the exact same way. Merson got a taste of his own medicne :)

But that isn't his own medicine! Merson never called Johnson a drug addict.

If he cost him his job, surely it's Roy's fault for not dropping him or putting him into midfield.

tbh i cant be bothered to type probably it's 2 in the morning to be fair

But that isn't his own medicine! Merson never called Johnson a drug addict.

Because he isn't? Johnson is a professional footballer, it's his job and what he loves doing, Merson has basically said he is **** at it and got his manager sacked. Johnson got him back, and rightly so.

Basic thust of what he said was that Johnson got Hodgson the sack and wasn't fit to call himself a player. That's an attack on a professional player's professionalism. Nowhere near the same as pointing out mistakes in defence (say, not closing down the winger in time or being in the wrong position at a set-piece) or even just saying he doesn't rate him.

Think that's what's got Johnson's back up. And rightly so in my view.

Whilst I agree that it's fair enough for Johnson to be annoyed at that, I cannot side with someone whose method of defending themselves is a cheap shot related to the other person's former drug addiction. Still, the response from Johnson was justified I agree, just not like that.

Take your point about pundits being paid to give an opinion. What gets me is that so many of them just spout rubbish which is demonstrably untrue. Not just about my club, but about any number of clubs.
Me too, but that's the way it is nowadays, unfortunately. Good, unbiased and impartial sports journalism is so hard to come across nowadays, it's one of the reasons why I enjoy reading stuff by people like Zonal Marking. There isn't any partisanship, there isn't any pretentiousness and most of all there is no "holier than thou" attitude, just good honest analysing.

Because he isn't? Johnson is a professional footballer, it's his job and what he loves doing, Merson has basically said he is **** at it and got his manager sacked. Johnson got him back, and rightly so.

No. Johnson could have maturely stated that Merson was wrong, debunked his theories and explained to him that that is out of order. Instead, what Johnson did was childishly attack Merson on a personal level, something that just shouldn't be allowed. As I have stated many times already, Merson is a pundit and his job is to air his views. He has given his views on Johnson's performance as a footballer. What Johnson has done isn't his job, and isn't even in good taste.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even take issue with Johnson if he merely called Merson a **** pundit. That's like for like.

The rest... well. He's revealed he's a lovely person as well as a world class right back.

And then I died from a sarcasm overdose.

The point about punditry I agree on, football punditry is awful quite frankly.

I wouldn't even take issue with Johnson if he merely called Merson a **** pundit. That's like for like.

****** yes. That's what I've been trying to say, just I'm far too verbose for my own good.

That's the crux of it. Merson called Johnson a bad footballer. If Johnson was "getting him back", he would've said Merson was a bad pundit. Instead, he's rolled out the personal attacks.

Me too, but that's the way it is nowadays, unfortunately. Good, unbiased and impartial sports journalism is so hard to come across nowadays, it's one of the reasons why I enjoy reading stuff by people like Zonal Marking. There isn't any partisanship, there isn't any pretentiousness and most of all there is no "holier than thou" attitude, just good honest analysing.

Lad who does it is now a regular on the Guardian podcast. Sid Lowe is also a regular and always worth a listen too.

Johnson has been playing **** this season, merson isnt saying it because he doesnt like him, hansen and the boys back it up with video evidence on a weekly basis-the best proof. him and assou-ekotto are more interested in hair styles! He needs to worry not about merson, who has done his days and played to his ability, and get on the training field and learn how to defend! oh, and i put the blame mostly on torres. He's been abysmal mostly this season.

i put the blame mostly on torres. He's been abysmal mostly this season.

**** off. You can't expect Torres to latch onto route one ball's and score.

lool! well who's gonna score then? :) sorry man i can see your a liverpool fan. i dont mean it like that, just that he's missed a few sitters.

lool! well who's gonna score then? :) sorry man i can see your a liverpool fan. i dont mean it like that, just that he's missed a few sitters.

He has squandered decent chances although he has hardly had decent service. If you watched Liverpool on a regular basis you'd know under Rafa he got an abundance of balls into channels whereas under Woy he's had long balls to feed off, he's not Kevin Davies. Under Kenny he should improve :)

Hmm yes hopefully put the bullet in man u. am i the only one who thinks poulsen is useless? going abit off topic, um yeah johnson was abit out of line. :D

LOL at the Arsenal and Villa fans defending their mans honour. Well done chaps... He is a ******* though and no amount of bias changes that.

LOL at the Arsenal and Villa fans defending their mans honour. Well done chaps... He is a ******* though and no amount of bias changes that.

Yes, i second this. Although, to be fair a) townsend and jamie redknapp are equally annoying and tactically stupid and b) johnson defends like a cross between james perch and ray charles. abit harsh but seeing the hands on hips and dissapointed face when a goal is his fault is sooo annoying!

Yes, i second this. Although, to be fair a) townsend and jamie redknapp are equally annoying and tactically stupid and b) johnson defends like a cross between james perch and ray charles. abit harsh but seeing the hands on hips and dissapointed face when a goal is his fault is sooo annoying!

HaHaHa Brilliant. Quote of the day by far. Well done that man XD